Justin Germano, SP-COL: W (1-2), 9 IP, 7 K
We have a little rule here on Around the Farm…throw a perfect game, and you’re the featured player for the day. Germano joins teammate Jenmar Gomez as Clippers with perfect games on their resume (Gomez got his for Akron two years ago). It was just the 5th 9-inning perfect game in International League history, a league that dates back to the 1880s. He struck out 7, including the final hitter of the night in the bottom of the 9th. He’s only started 5 games in AAA this year, and one of them was a perfect game. That’s a pretty good ratio. Overall, he has a 3.65 ERA with 35 K and 4 BB in 44 1/3 IP. Germano was the #2 play on SportsCenter’s top 10 this morning, and has to be enjoying the day after the best pitching performance of his life. Congratulations to the former and future member of the Bullpen Mafia!
- Cord Phelps, 2B-COL: 2-3, 2B, RBI, BB. Phelps is hitting .324/.419/.432 in his last 10 games with a HR and 5 RBI.
- Tim Fedroff, CF-COL: 3-5, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI, R, K. After hitting .338 in Akron, Fedroff is holding his own in Columbus, putting up a .277/.384/.383 line overall in his 27 games for the Clippers.
- Paul Phillips, C-COL: 3-4, R. Not only did Phillips call and catch Germano’s perfecto, he collected three knocks as well. Pretty good day overall.
- T.J. McFarland, SP-AKR: L (7-5), 5 IP, 3 R (1 ER), 6 H, 6 K, 2 BB. McFarland has been one of the best pitchers in the system over the last month. Since June 24, he has started 7 games and gone 5-1 with a 2.20 ERA with 34 K and 12 BB in 45 IP.
- Bryce Stowell, RP-AKR: IP, ER, 2 H, 2 BB, 2 K. The fireballing reliever is up in Akron for his rehab, and has 4 K in 3 IP for the Aeros.
- John Drennen, LF-AKR: 2-4, K. Drennen is hitting .316/.366/.395 in his last 10 games with 3 2B and 4 RBI.
- Tyler Holt, CF-KIN: 2-4, 2B, R. Kinston only managed 5 hits yesterday, and Holt had two of them. The 2B was his first XBH in his last 10 games.
- Jeremie Tice, DH-KIN: 1-3, HR (7), RBI, R, BB. Tice has been one of the more consistent hitters for the K-Tribe when healthy. In 43 games, he’s hitting .272/.352/.468 with 7 HR and 10 2B.
- Robbie Aviles, SP-AZL: 2 IP, 2 H, 2 K. The rehabbing Aviles now has back-to-back scoreless outings in Arizona, each lasting 2 innings. The important thing is that he’s back on the mound and pitching to hitters in game situations again.
- Jose Ramirez, 2B-AZL: 3-4, R, SB, K. Ramirez had all 3 hits that the Indians AZL affiliate could muster yesterday, and scored their only run. The 19-year old is hitting .347/.364/.505 with a HR, 6 2B and 3 3B in 24 games in the complex league.