Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Five Things

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Five Things

Unread postby swerb » Fri May 30, 2008 4:01 pm

1. Help a brotha out!

Linked below is a quick little survey about the website, that literally takes a minute to complete. The demographics info helps with prospective advertisers. The feedback on the site really helps me as I continue to grow this little thing of ours.

Really, really appreciate it if you can take 60 seconds out of your day to fill it out real quick. One random respondent will be selected to win a $50 gift card to the retailer/restaraunt of their choice.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=m ... 3Viw_3d_3d

2. MLB Pick 30 - PHASE TWO

Really cool little pool we started doing in The Gamblers Den, called the MLB Pick 30. Response to the first one, won by Lead Pipe (shocker), we're getting a second phase started up one week from Monday ... on June 9th. All the details are at the link below.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/boards/v ... php?t=7568

3. Contest ideas?

Got the following goodies in The Swerb Grab Bag. Lets give some away. Anyone got any good contest ideas for forum members?

~TCF coffee mug
~TCF t-shirt
~B-List '06: The Book
~B-List '07: The Book
~Tony's Top Prospects Book
~Two adult admission passes to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame
~A pair of VIP Tent passes to any of the Cleveland City Stars (Cleveland pro soccer team, play downtown at Krenzler Field) remaining home games

4. Bracket ideas?

With our 16 best trades in Indians history bracket winding down, it's time to start to think about the next one. Would love any ideas or suggestions anyone has.

5. MARK YOUR CALENDARS

Details are still coming together, but there's some dates we got here to put on the calendar. I strongly encourage forum members to make it out to these events. It is always really good to put screen names with faces, and I've made so many new good friends that were people I initially met on a message forum.

Fri night Aug 1, Sat Aug 2: TCF Browns Training Camp get together - Date not for sure yet, still working out details as well.

Sat, Aug 23: Inaugural TheClevelandFan.com Golf Outing at Little Mountain Country Club - One of the top golf courses in Ohio. 4 person scramble, 1:30 shotgun start, last Saturday before football starts. Lunch, 18 majestic holes of golf, steak dinner, open bar, massive amounts of cash prizes and awards. More details to follow real soon on this, but all the above ones are iron clad, including the date.

Sun, Sept 14: The Mother of All Tailgates III - Steelers game, week two, Sunday night, Muni Lot. 8:30 kickoff. Party starts at 7 AM. Seeing as how the Muni will still fill by 9 AM, we will be picking another parking lot where people who come later can park. We'll be renting a bus to bus people from that lot over to the Muni at noon, 2:30, and 5:00 PM. Live band and a ridiculous ensemble of catered food and alcohol.

Sun, Nov 2: The Mother of All Tailgates IV - Ravens game, week 9, 1 PM kickoff.

Sun, Nov 30: The Mother of All Tailgates V - Colts game, week 13, 1 PM kickoff.
Last edited by swerb on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17919
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby The Brook » Fri May 30, 2008 4:24 pm

I tried to do the survey. The page came up, but I was unable to click on any of the answers to the questions. I would click in the corresponding spot, but nothing would happen.
Is this just me??
The Brook
carnitas, math & bucky
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:40 pm
Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: 97 Marlins roster

Unread postby swerb » Fri May 30, 2008 4:30 pm

The Brook wrote:I tried to do the survey. The page came up, but I was unable to click on any of the answers to the questions. I would click in the corresponding spot, but nothing would happen.
Is this just me??

Brook, it worked for me, and other replies have come in no problem.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17919
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jb » Fri May 30, 2008 4:33 pm

You've rounded out my sumer calendar!
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby The Brook » Fri May 30, 2008 4:34 pm

Swerb wrote:
The Brook wrote:I tried to do the survey. The page came up, but I was unable to click on any of the answers to the questions. I would click in the corresponding spot, but nothing would happen.
Is this just me??

Brook, it worked for me, and other replies have come in no problem.


Then I guess its just me, bummer I wanted to help a brotha out.
The Brook
carnitas, math & bucky
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:40 pm
Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: 97 Marlins roster

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri May 30, 2008 5:04 pm

Well, I filled out the survey. Rich, I'm pretty sure that you'll know exactly which one is mine.

In terms of a contest, obviously the NFL predictions like the basketball and baseball ones we have done.

Maybe we could find an internet poker site, get a private tournament together for free (I know, I know) and the winner gets 3 of those things, second place gets 2, and so on, giving the top 5 or so something, depending on who all joins in. I've seen private games on www.pokerroom.com, but I'm sure I'm the only one with an account there.

A bracket idea? Top 32 sports video games of all time? I'm pretty sure that list would not be that difficult to put together, and I'd put my money on Tecmo Bowl or Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES being in the Final Four.

Top band to debut from 1970-1979, 1980-89, 1990-99.

If we want it to be fully sports related, with the Olympics just over 3 months away, top 16 or 32 Summer Olympic moments.


I'll probably make an appearance for the Baltimore taligate. With school fully in session, money will be tight, so I'm not sure how much I'll party it up with everybody. I'll be moving back down to Akron for the Golf Outing, which really sucks, but I'd never have the best shot for a scramble anyway.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14350
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri May 30, 2008 5:15 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:If we want it to be fully sports related, with the Olympics just over 3 months away, top 16 or 32 Summer Olympic moments.


Ooo, I like that one.
User avatar
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer
 
Posts: 5463
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:32 am
Location: Austin TX
Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby swerb » Fri May 30, 2008 5:35 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:If we want it to be fully sports related, with the Olympics just over 3 months away, top 16 or 32 Summer Olympic moments.


Ooo, I like that one.

Me too. That's the leader in the clubhouse right now.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17919
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri May 30, 2008 7:47 pm

Got the survey and the pick 30 all locked up, but the road trips may be a bit much for me. I would like to one day make a Browns game though, just not happening this season.

Great ideas on the brackets, I was thinking along the lines of the sports video game idea. Olympic moments are great too. What about ugliest pro athletes of all time? Or hottest female athletes of all time? Or greatest college football or basketball team of all time (would take a little research but I think it would be cool.
User avatar
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:47 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby KChmura » Fri May 30, 2008 7:51 pm

16 best/worst baseball/football stadiums of all time.
User avatar
KChmura
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:21 pm
Favorite Player: Kevin Kouzmanoff
Least Favorite Player: Rafael Betancourt

Re: Five Things

Unread postby daveski » Fri May 30, 2008 10:09 pm

Swerb wrote:[size=18]Sat, Aug 23: Inaugural TheClevelandFan.com Golf Outing at Little Mountain Country Club - One of the top golf courses in Ohio. 4 person scramble, 1:30 shotgun start, last Saturday before football starts. Lunch, 18 majestic holes of golf, steak dinner, open bar, massive amounts of cash prizes and awards. More details to follow real soon on this, but all the above ones are iron clad, including the date.


Where do I sign up? And any 4 man team in need of a walk-on?
daveski
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:02 pm

Unread postby Jumbo » Fri May 30, 2008 10:12 pm

Swerb wrote:
Steve Buffum wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:If we want it to be fully sports related, with the Olympics just over 3 months away, top 16 or 32 Summer Olympic moments.


Ooo, I like that one.

Me too. That's the leader in the clubhouse right now.


It's a good idea...especially since the Olympics is, perhaps more than other sports, dependent on "moments" - especially those that you remember. While I usually think it's fair game to make a history comparison/ranking that extends back into the early part of the 20th century, it might be harder than usual to work that for this kind of bracket. You've got Jesse Owens vs Hitler...and...? Jim Thorpe?

Another thing...to consider: negative moments? Munich? Ben Johnson? The stealing of USA basketball gold?

BTW Posnanski's blog on Rulon Gardner is required reading:

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/05/12/i-really-didnt-need-that-stew/
User avatar
Jumbo
Chowderhead
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:29 pm
Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri May 30, 2008 11:36 pm

Jumbo wrote:Another thing...to consider: negative moments? Munich? Ben Johnson? The stealing of USA basketball gold?


I never specified just top 16 or 32 United States Olympic moments. I'd say across the board top moments.

Swerb wrote:Me too. That's the leader in the clubhouse right now.


First time I've ever been the leader in the clubhouse. Nice.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14350
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Five Things

Unread postby swerb » Sat May 31, 2008 12:59 am

daveski wrote:
Swerb wrote:[size=18]Sat, Aug 23: Inaugural TheClevelandFan.com Golf Outing at Little Mountain Country Club - One of the top golf courses in Ohio. 4 person scramble, 1:30 shotgun start, last Saturday before football starts. Lunch, 18 majestic holes of golf, steak dinner, open bar, massive amounts of cash prizes and awards. More details to follow real soon on this, but all the above ones are iron clad, including the date.


Where do I sign up? And any 4 man team in need of a walk-on?

daveski, will have the final details finalized next week. Keep an eye in here for some sort of official sign up protocol
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17919
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby TOTribeFan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:26 am

I think an intersting bracket would be historic Cleveland sports-related disappointments, disasters and tragedies. Unfortunately, there are plenty to chose from. '97 Series, '07 ALCS collapse, Steve Olin/Tim Crews, Herb Score, The Drive, The Fumble.. You get the point...
User avatar
TOTribeFan
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:14 am
Location: Oakville, ON, Canada

Unread postby cozmeesah » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:30 am

TOTribeFan wrote:I think an intersting bracket would be historic Cleveland sports-related disappointments, disasters and tragedies. Unfortunately, there are plenty to chose from. '97 Series, '07 ALCS collapse, Steve Olin/Tim Crews, Herb Score, The Drive, The Fumble.. You get the point...


I think there's already too much doom and gloom around here and with all of us as it is, lol. Don't think we need to add to it with even that much more negative thoughts. :lol:
Last edited by cozmeesah on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.sizemorefan.com ~ Your Online Source For Grady Sizemore
cozmeesah
 
Posts: 2088
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 10:37 pm
Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:31 am

cozmeesah wrote:
TOTribeFan wrote:I think an intersting bracket would be historic Cleveland sports-related disappointments, disasters and tragedies. Unfortunately, there are plenty to chose from. '97 Series, '07 ALCS collapse, Steve Olin/Tim Crews, Herb Score, The Drive, The Fumble.. You get the point...


I think there's already too much doom and gloom around here and with all of us as it is, lol. Don't think we need to add to it with even that much more negative thoughts.

LOL ... we already did it

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/bracketD ... acketId=18
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17919
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby cozmeesah » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:34 am

Swerb wrote:
cozmeesah wrote:
TOTribeFan wrote:I think an intersting bracket would be historic Cleveland sports-related disappointments, disasters and tragedies. Unfortunately, there are plenty to chose from. '97 Series, '07 ALCS collapse, Steve Olin/Tim Crews, Herb Score, The Drive, The Fumble.. You get the point...


I think there's already too much doom and gloom around here and with all of us as it is, lol. Don't think we need to add to it with even that much more negative thoughts.

LOL ... we already did it

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/bracketD ... acketId=18



LOL!!! You know I thought it sounded familiar. I'm sure it hurt way less to think about at that time last year than it would now, lol.
http://www.sizemorefan.com ~ Your Online Source For Grady Sizemore
cozmeesah
 
Posts: 2088
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 10:37 pm
Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby TOTribeFan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:43 pm

Ooops, sorry guys, I had no idea.... It certainly looks like you got the right result the first time through. No need to revisit the pain...
User avatar
TOTribeFan
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:14 am
Location: Oakville, ON, Canada

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:46 pm

For another bracket, we could do The Cleveland Fan Hot 100.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14350
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby The Brook » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:54 pm

Swerb wrote:
The Brook wrote:I tried to do the survey. The page came up, but I was unable to click on any of the answers to the questions. I would click in the corresponding spot, but nothing would happen.
Is this just me??

Brook, it worked for me, and other replies have come in no problem.


I tried it again today and it worked fine. Better late than never.
The Brook
carnitas, math & bucky
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:40 pm
Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: 97 Marlins roster

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:17 am

I know you've done sci-fi movies - how about movies in general? You can use Mitch's list.

Best stadiums?

Best single season by a Cleveland athlete?

Hottest women?
User avatar
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!
 
Posts: 1939
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Brooklyn
Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:03 am

bump
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17919
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte


Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests