Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

The Happening

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

The Happening

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:34 pm

I just saw a preview for this new M. Night. Shyamalan flick with Mark Wahlberg. While I generally love psychological thrillers, Shyamlan has delivered a stream of duds and hasn't had a good movie since Sixth Sense. TheVillage and Lady in the Water were abysmal flops despite receiving a large amount of hype.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0949731/

Any thoughts on this? I can't tell from the preview if this looks really awesome or really stupid.
mikebrownz26

Favorite Player: Phil Dawson
Least Favorite Player: Scott Stewart

Unread postby Guest » Wed May 21, 2008 10:46 pm

Loved "Sixth Sense".

Really liked "Unbreakable"

Liked "Signs" (with reservations)

Thought "The Village" stunk

Completely hated "Lady in the Water"

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/article_ ... php?id=622

With Wahlberg in it...I'm HOPING for a comeback from M. Night.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 21, 2008 11:20 pm

I thought Sixth Sense was a classic.
I loved Signs as well, followed closely by Unbreakable.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby consigliere » Thu May 22, 2008 12:56 am

I think Unbreakable is under-rated. Love that film....maybe even more than Sixth Sense.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu May 22, 2008 3:34 am

Shyamlan is a very predictable director. It took me like 15 mintues to figure out The 6th Sense plot twist. So I left the theater $8 poorer. Just say no to Shyamlan. Unbreakable was the best out of his films which isnt saying much. The Village and Sings I walked out of.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby swerb » Thu May 22, 2008 9:20 am

What Mitch said, verbatim
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu May 22, 2008 9:29 am

I like Lady in the Water, and I would have liked the Village, but I figured it out half way through. I like all of his movies, but still need ot see unbreakable.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby jb » Thu May 22, 2008 12:33 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Shyamlan is a very predictable director. It took me like 15 mintues to figure out The 6th Sense plot twist. So I left the theater $8 poorer. Just say no to Shyamlan. Unbreakable was the best out of his films which isnt saying much. The Village and Sings I walked out of.

No sh!% , you walked out of "Signs" ?

That's one of the best films I've ever seen, but that' s just me. I thought it was rivoting and amazing. The dinner table scene is incredible. Maybe I'm just an old softie and father, but telling the kids stories about how they were when they were born when they are all scared to death and facing possible doom makes me literally well up as if I imagine John Elway opting to be Kirk Gibson.

Then again, I think MNS is strictly an aquiired taste and his body of work lends itself to love or hate. I even didn't hate The Village and I keep forgetting to get Lady in the Water altho I have seen da bittie in da tub.

Potayto
Potahto
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu May 22, 2008 1:10 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Shyamlan is a very predictable director. It took me like 15 mintues to figure out The 6th Sense plot twist. So I left the theater $8 poorer. Just say no to Shyamlan. Unbreakable was the best out of his films which isnt saying much. The Village and Sings I walked out of.

Same with me on Sixth Sense. I saw that one coming immediately after the shooting scene at the beginning.

Unbreakable was a great film. One of my favorites.

I really liked Signs. The Village was alright but iffy. Still have yet to see Lady in the Water and really am not expecting to any time soon.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:32 pm

Don't waste your money to see this crap. It made The Village and Lady in the Water look like freaking Oscar nominees.
mikebrownz26

Favorite Player: Phil Dawson
Least Favorite Player: Scott Stewart

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:57 pm

didn't he do 'The Eye'

that was baaaaaaaaad
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:36 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:didn't he do 'The Eye'

that was baaaaaaaaad

No.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:26 pm

Early rating on IMDB is an unimpressive 6.3
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby mswerb » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:45 pm

In the preview where the dude lays down in front of the riding mower looks cool.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby Cleveland Transplant » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:42 pm

Worst movie I've ever seen in my life.

My friend and I stayed after the credits just laughing at how absolutely terrible it was. And then proceeded to laugh all the way home at some of the lines and scenes.

If you want a good laugh and feel like pissing away $10, go ahead and see it.
Cleveland Transplant

Unread postby bowl » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:43 pm

mikebrownz26 wrote:Don't waste your money to see this crap. It made The Village and Lady in the Water look like freaking Oscar nominees.

agreed
bowl
Road Trip Guru

Favorite Player: Shin Soo Choo
Least Favorite Player: Derek Jeter

Unread postby mmonast » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:19 pm

this was one of the worst movies i have ever seen,,,,the plot is stupid the acting is a joke

go see this flick if u are in the mood for a comedy not a horror movie
mmonast

Favorite Player: Redz
Least Favorite Player: deshawn stevenson

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:00 pm

M Knight just needs to stop making movies. This is outta hand.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby TribeNut » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:15 pm

I can't believe so many folks liked 'Unbreakable'. I thought it was horrible- while the ending was a nice twist, I couldn't believe how bad the buildup was to it.
TribeNut
Late Inning Defensive Replacement

Favorite Player: Lou Marson
Least Favorite Player: Aj Pierzinski

Unread postby buckeye319 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:50 pm

Don't waste your money to see this crap. It made The Village and Lady in the Water look like freaking Oscar nominees.

Worst movie I've ever seen in my life.

My friend and I stayed after the credits just laughing at how absolutely terrible it was. And then proceeded to laugh all the way home at some of the lines and scenes.

If you want a good laugh and feel like pissing away $10, go ahead and see it.

this was one of the worst movies i have ever seen,,,,the plot is stupid the acting is a joke

go see this flick if u are in the mood for a comedy not a horror movie

M Knight just needs to stop making movies. This is outta hand.

So just to be clear, this is not a very good movie? :P :-P :razz:
buckeye319

Least Favorite Player: Stephen A. Smith

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:40 pm

This flick is getting universally panned by 100% of everyone.
jb

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:48 pm

I wouldn't say everyone. I just read Roger Ebert's review and he summarized the concept of the film in more detail. It honestly does interest me, so I'm still going to see it.

I know a place where it's only 5 bucks and it doesn't suck.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:00 pm

MNS = 1.5 hit wonder who should stick to making trailers.

He does make some damn fine trailers though.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:05 pm

I think what brought about the bad talk and harsh criticism was that the audience feels duped. The trailer made it look out to be a typical suspense-thriller with some kind of being with legs just rampaging throughout the country killing people. I can understand how a majority of the (uninformed) audience can feel, like I said, duped.

I did my homework before seeing a film, as I do with every film I'm about to see, and what work really told me about the concept of the film was Roger Ebert's review. So, watching the story unfold wasn't such a blow.

I will admit that the dialogue was "eh" and the delivery of lines were often times overdramatic and/or out of place. But that didn't stop me from keeping paying attention.

The basic moral of the story is... "Take care of your planet or else it's going to turn on you just like that." And alot of people may laugh it up, but that's ignorance showing his mean, old head. Alot of people probably think what happens in the film is totally "impossible." Well lemme tell you something folks, most anything is possible in this world, and I wouldn't be surprised if this world just suddenly decided to exterminate us like in The Happening. I wouldn't oppose it either. We've ruined this planet from head to toe and turned this beautiful blue and green ball floating in outerspace into one giant, fucking shopping mall; we'd deserve our extermination. Call me an idiot, a meanhead, a psycho, the devil, or what have you, but you know I'm right when I say the possibility is there.

The Happening is for non-one-dimensional, open-minded, intelligent human beings with attention spans.

B-
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby Cleveland Transplant » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:59 pm

I consider myself a pretty socially aware person, being involved in things such as Amnesty and Oxfam.

And I still think M Night could have filmed himself taking a dump would be on par with The Happening. Everything about it was terrible.
Cleveland Transplant

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:35 am

Just got back from it. This is the absolute last one of his films I'm seeing in the theatre. I just blew $10 freaking dollars on that crap. EVERYONE leaving the theater had the same pissed off look I had. All 20 of them, that is. Just awful.

The one good thing, near the end, there's an old lady. She's hysterically funny. She's not supposed to be hysterically funny, but she is.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:51 am

Roger Ebert's Review of The Happening

Dog it all you want. Taking in account all Hollywood feature films made in history, this film isn't the worst one ever made. Besides, "the worst film ever made" is a perception and only a perception.

"In alarming prospect, and all the more so because there has been a recent decline in the honeybee population. Perhaps it is comforting to know that Einstein never said any such thing -- less comforting, of course, for the bees. The quotation appears on a blackboard near the beginning of M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening," a movie that I find oddly touching. It is no doubt too thoughtful for the summer action season, but I appreciate the quietly realistic way Shyamalan finds to tell a story about the possible death of man.

One day in Central Park, people start to lose their trains of thought. They begin walking backward. They start killing themselves. This behavior spreads through Manhattan, and then all of the Northeast. Construction workers throw themselves from scaffolds. Policeman shoot themselves. The deaths are blamed on a "terrorist attack," but in fact no one has the slightest clue, and New York City is evacuated.

We meet Elliot Moore (Mark Wahlberg), a Philadelphia high school science teacher; the quote was on his blackboard. We meet his wife, Alma (Zooey Deschanel); his friend, Julian (John Leguizamo), and Julian's daughter, Jess (Ashlyn Sanchez). They find themselves fleeing on a train to Harrisburg, Pa., although people learn from their cell phones that the plague, or whatever it is, may have jumped ahead of them.

Now consider how Shyamalan shows the exodus from Philadelphia. He avoids all the conventional scenes of riots in the train station, people killing Philadelphia, not New York, and shows the population as quiet and apprehensive. If you don't know what you're fleeing, how would you behave? Like this, I suspect.

Julian entrusts his daughter to Elliot and Alma, and goes in search of his wife. The train stops -- permanently -- at a town. The three hitch a ride in a stranger's car, and later meet others who are fleeing, from what or to what, they do not know. Elliot meets a man who talks about a way plants have of creating hormones to kill their enemies, and he develops a half-baked theory that man may have finally delivered too many insults to the grasses and the shrubs, the flowers and the trees, and their revenge is in the wind.

By now the three are trekking cross-country through Pennsylvania, joined by two young boys, who they will eventually lose. They walk on, the wind moaning ominously behind them, and come to the isolated country home of Mrs. Jones (Betty Buckley), a very odd old lady. Here they eat and spend the night and other events take place, and Elliot and Alma find an opportunity to discuss their love and reveal some secrets and speculate about what dread manifestation has overtaken the world.

Too uneventful for you? Not enough action? For me, Shyamalan's approach is more effective than smash-and-grab plot-mongering. His use of the landscape is disturbingly effective. The performances by Wahlberg and Deschanel bring a quiet dignity to their characters. The strangeness of starting a day in New York and ending it by hiking across a country field is underlined. Most of the other people we meet, not all, are muted and introspective. Had they been half-expecting some such "event" as this?

I know I have. For some time the thought has been gathering at the back of my mind that we are in the final act. We have finally insulted the planet so much that it can no longer sustain us. It is exhausted. It never occurred to me that vegetation might exterminate us. In fact, the form of the planet's revenge remains undefined in my thoughts, although I have read of rising sea levels and the ends of species.

What I admire about "The Happening" is that its pace and substance allowed me to examine such thoughts, and to ask how I might respond to a wake-up call from nature. Shyamalan allows his characters space and time as they look within themselves. Those they meet on the way are such as they might indeed plausibly meet. Even the TV and radio news is done correctly, as convenient cliches about terrorism give way to bewilderment and apprehension.

I suspect I'll be in the minority in praising this film. It will be described as empty, uneventful, meandering. But for some, it will weave a spell. It is a parable, yes, but it is also simply the story of these people and how their lives and existence have suddenly become problematic. We depend on such a superstructure to maintain us that one or two alterations could leave us stranded and wandering through a field, if we are that lucky."
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby buckeye319 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:57 am

Haven't seen the movie, and not sure I will, but the idea of nature turning against man is certainly intriguing.

Reminds me of The Twilight Zone.
buckeye319

Least Favorite Player: Stephen A. Smith

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:02 am

buckeye319 wrote:Haven't seen the movie, and not sure I will, but the idea of nature turning against man is certainly intriguing.

Reminds me of The Twilight Zone.

It surely is intriguing, especially to me.

But like I said, I think what really ruined this film for a majority of people is that the trailer made it look like a monster movie. And then when unknowing people went to see it, 10% of them were pleasantly surprised and the rest had the rug slipped right under them.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:13 am

I never really thought it was a monster, per se...but I did think it was some sort of mythical force, and not what it turned out to be. But regardless, I hated it.

Really, aside from the Sixth Sense, I haven't really liked his movies. Signs was ok, and I thought the Village was ok (though I figured out the twist like 3 minutes into the movie)...HATED Unbreakable for whatever reason, and Lady of the Water was just a flat out waste. I'm the dolt that keeps paying for it though, I guess. But like I said, this is the absolute last one of his films I see in the theater, even if his next piece of crap gets glowing reviews.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:53 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:I think what brought about the bad talk and harsh criticism was that the audience feels duped. The trailer made it look out to be a typical suspense-thriller with some kind of being with legs just rampaging throughout the country killing people. I can understand how a majority of the (uninformed) audience can feel, like I said, duped.

I did my homework before seeing a film, as I do with every film I'm about to see, and what work really told me about the concept of the film was Roger Ebert's review. So, watching the story unfold wasn't such a blow.

I will admit that the dialogue was "eh" and the delivery of lines were often times overdramatic and/or out of place. But that didn't stop me from keeping paying attention.

The basic moral of the story is... "Take care of your planet or else it's going to turn on you just like that." And alot of people may laugh it up, but that's ignorance showing his mean, old head. Alot of people probably think what happens in the film is totally "impossible." Well lemme tell you something folks, most anything is possible in this world, and I wouldn't be surprised if this world just suddenly decided to exterminate us like in The Happening. I wouldn't oppose it either. We've ruined this planet from head to toe and turned this beautiful blue and green ball floating in outerspace into one giant, fucking shopping mall; we'd deserve our extermination. Call me an idiot, a meanhead, a psycho, the devil, or what have you, but you know I'm right when I say the possibility is there.

The Happening is for non-one-dimensional, open-minded, intelligent human beings with attention spans.

B-

BB - I give you lots of credit for going contraian on a forum.

I am a big fan of MSN and agree that most who don't like his first 3 just don't put the mental energy into it and suspend their own disbelief to just get into it. But I also won't disrespect tham becasue it's all subjective. For example, I have thought every Steven King movie I've ever seen was the silliest most contrived POS and I usually LOL at them. They are all stupid plots filled with stupider characters. I consider them simple minded. But I don't suspend disbelief, so i don't give them a chance. Personally, I even enjoyed The Village.

Having said that, I've spoken to lots of MNS real fans and they say this is a huge egg laid.

Maybe I'll join you and rent it eventually.
jb

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:42 pm

I mean no disrespect to anybody AT ALL with my semi-review of the film.

The way I see it, though, is that MNS is trying to teach us a lesson, a simple lesson, with The Happening... but alot of people are just shrugging it off.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:03 pm

As stated...my opinion of MNS films started at the top, and gradually moved south.

I thought I was at the bottom for "Lady In the Water".

I was wrong.

Details tomorrow.

EDIT...and BTW, I'm not exactly in the Rush Limbaugh camp politically...although I do my damndest to keep those opinions out of any column I write.

MNS is a Tree-Hugger-Hater's wet dream. Someone so friggin' over the top with the message that he makes the moderates in "his camp" go..."dood! STFU!"

The Happening

Unread postby rawdawgexpress » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:44 am

Sorry I'm late to the game but I saw the movie last nite and really liked it. But I'm a big fan of MNS. I also like Marky Mark, and I can name 5 awesome movies he's been in for every 1 that's crap.

I guess I'm a fan of movies that are original, and at least try to carve out new territory. I think everyone also appreciates it, that's why this thread has 35 comments, and Indiana Jones barely merits a couple. I think that people's disappointment in this movie comes with him having such high expectations that are impossible to meet. Such are the criteria that people who didn't like "The Happening" but like the new "Incredible Hulk". Really? You only like things that you've already seen before?

Anyways,

The Manchurian Candidate: The Cold War:: The Happening: Global Warming

Mark it down for future reference. And I'm talking about the original Manchurian Candidate- with Frank Sinatra.

M Night's movies are about how the Extraordinary taking place within the context of the Ordinary moves us, and can enlighten our everyday actions. Yet he is so skillful, his Ordinary is very compelling. People talk to each other in his movies how we talk to each other, and people are recognizable. We know them. This is why we hold him to such a higher standard, and expect more. We want to see more of ourselves. My take is that they will show M Night S movies in 50 years to classes to show what life was like for us in these 9/11 times.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I definitely have alot of anxiety about the prospect of Global Warming, and I relate it to my worry as a boy about the Russians nuking us.

For those of you under 25 years old you may not know how prevalent our collective psyche was affected by the ever-present fear of Global Thermonuclear War. Put it this way, I remember a day in 8th grade (?1985) and a loud plane flew over the school, it sounded military in nature. One of my classmates said, half-jokingly, Uhh-oh, its World War III. And I was totally thinking the same thing.

As to why people don't like this movie, and its getting bad reviews, I owe it to two reasons:
1) Zooey Deschanel was terrible, and her poor acting took the life out of what really should be driving the movie, the relationship between her and Marky Mark.

2)MNS is actually ahead of his time by a couple of years, and most people probably don't fear global warming yet. But they will. He missed the "zeitgeist", IMHO.

But I predict, like all good record albums, this movie will be a grower, and take its rightful place if not as part of the canon, than definitley as an awesome cult movie in the next few years.
People call it 'vision.' I call it running away.
-Josh Cribbs
rawdawgexpress

Re: The Happening

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:00 am

rawdawgexpress wrote:But I predict, like all good record albums, this movie will be a grower, and take its rightful place if not as part of the canon, than definitley as an awesome cult movie in the next few years.

Me too.

I also liked your statement about our society screening this film 50 years down the road to students showing how we reacted post-9/11.

We're also much more cynical now, and I truly believe that if this film had been made in the 50s, it would have had a huge impact. Like War of the Worlds was on 1930s radio.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby GreatGoo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:14 am

rawdawgexpress wrote:
2)MNS is actually ahead of his time by a couple of years, and most people probably don't fear global warming yet. But they will. He missed the "zeitgeist", IMHO.

:-| :neutral: :| So in a couple of years the world is going to really start fearing global warning?

Let me guess. Flowers are going to begin eating peoples toes.
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:28 am

greatgoo wrote:Let me guess. Flowers are going to begin eating peoples toes.

If the Happening had depicted plants and trees biting people heads off, then your statement would be alright.

This what I'm saying; people are laughing and shrugging it off.

I personally don't believe it's Global Warming or anything specific, but the lesson in the film that is trying to be taught is simple. But nobody will listen.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby GreatGoo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:51 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:

If the Happening had depicted plants and trees biting people heads off, then your statement would be alright.

I personally don't believe it's Global Warming or anything specific, but the lesson in the film that is trying to be taught is simple. But nobody will listen.

Sorry the trees farted gas
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:15 pm

greatgoo wrote:Sorry the trees farted gas

Some type of toxic gas/chemicals in the film.

Oxygen, in current reality.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby mmonast » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:06 pm

the only lesson this shitty film is trying to teach is how to not make a scary movie or how to scam moviegoers out of their hard earned cash
mmonast

Favorite Player: Redz
Least Favorite Player: deshawn stevenson

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:20 pm

mmonast wrote:or how to scam moviegoers out of their hard earned cash

I think MNS purposely made the trailer look out to be a thriller with a human-eating creature. If the trailer was just trees, people wouldn't go and see it. He scammed you for your own good. Like what good parents do to their children. :lol:
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby XUDawg » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:52 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:The basic moral of the story is... "Take care of your planet or else it's going to turn on you just like that." And alot of people may laugh it up, but that's ignorance showing his mean, old head. Alot of people probably think what happens in the film is totally "impossible." Well lemme tell you something folks, most anything is possible in this world, and I wouldn't be surprised if this world just suddenly decided to exterminate us like in The Happening. I wouldn't oppose it either. We've ruined this planet from head to toe and turned this beautiful blue and green ball floating in outerspace into one giant, fucking shopping mall; we'd deserve our extermination. Call me an idiot, a meanhead, a psycho, the devil, or what have you, but you know I'm right when I say the possibility is there.

People don't go to movies to get preached at. They go to be entertained. If the guy feels like he has to "dupe" people into seeing his global warming movie, maybe his message is a little bent. If it is important enough he should tell them upfront, instead of stealing their money and then saying "Gotcha!" If you care that much, don't try to make the movie out to be something it's not to fool people into seeing it.

If you want to teach a lesson to people, pissing them off with a horrible movie is not the best way. This guy is showing more and more each movie that he is a no talent ass clown hack.
XUDawg

Favorite Player: Nick Diaz
Least Favorite Player: Ben Roethlisberger

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Fair enough, XUDawg. Good point.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:37 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:

That's Little Shop of Horrors, and I generally HATE musicals ! :lol:
jb

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:49 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:Call me...a meanhead...or what have you...

Meanhead? Really?
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:00 pm

JB wrote:

No sh!% , you walked out of "Signs" ?

That's one of the best films I've ever seen, but that' s just me. I thought it was rivoting and amazing. The dinner table scene is incredible. Maybe I'm just an old softie and father, but telling the kids stories about how they were when they were born when they are all scared to death and facing possible doom makes me literally well up as if I imagine John Elway opting to be Kirk Gibson.

Then again, I think MNS is strictly an aquiired taste and his body of work lends itself to love or hate. I even didn't hate The Village and I keep forgetting to get Lady in the Water altho I have seen da bittie in da tub.

Potayto
Potahto

Damn, JB, you and me is having a disagreement week.

The Sixth Sense - good, despite the fact that I figured out the "twist" early on.

Unbreakable - liked it well enough, although the end was a bit hokey.

Then came Signs, which I just WISH I had been lucky enough to walk out of. When it came out, I was quite eager to watch it. In my opinion, it started good, then less good, then less good, then climaxed with an ending so dumb that I felt physical pain.

But hey, I figured, everyone gets to have their dud. So I went to see The Village in the theater as well. I only sat through that disaster in order to BOO as loud as I could.

That was the last M Night movie I will ever watch. Someone oughtta just shoot him and put him (and us) out of his misery.

Fortunately, after 3 trainwrecks in a row, he'll probably never direct again.

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:01 pm

Then came Signs, which I just WISH I had been lucky enough to walk out of. When it came out, I was quite eager to watch it. In my opinion, it started good, then less good, then less good, then climaxed with an ending so dumb that I felt physical pain.

Out of curiosity, what about all the synchronicity made you ill?
jb

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:02 pm

Am I the only one that didn't figure out the twist in "The Sixth Sense" the first time I saw it?

Blindsided me.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:20 pm

JB wrote:

Out of curiosity, what about all the synchronicity made you ill?

I think it was the synchronicity itself. I found it hokey. The alien, the bat, Mel becoming a priest again... ick.

And water kills the aliens? Maybe they should've done their due diligence before invading a planet covered in the stuff.

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this. Can't help it. It made me gag.

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:22 pm

Swerb wrote:Am I the only one that didn't figure out the twist in "The Sixth Sense" the first time I saw it?

Blindsided me.

To be fair, Swerb, I saw the movie several weeks after it had come out, and had heard from many a source that there was a "twist" at the end, so I was looking for it.

Next

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture