Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Rizzo: Dolphins/Tuna Will Make Run At DA This Off-Season

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Rizzo: Dolphins/Tuna Will Make Run At DA This Off-Season

Unread postby swerb » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:11 pm

Just heard this on his show. Says he got word from someone in the Browns org that they're already talking about it. DA for a pick, picks. Rub is, Miami is gonna have #1 overall.

Allegedly Parcells loves DA.

Hard to believe they're already talking about anything. Most likely this is a situation where Parcells told someone he liked DA, and it got overblown from there.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:14 pm

Well even if this is true IMO there is no way Parcells give THE number one pick for DA.

How old is Jason Taylor? Any chances of us getting him in a DA trade somehow?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Joens » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:40 pm

First pick would be wonderful.

we would probably trade down but either way i like it.
Cremincus- Something completely and utterly unbelievable. Published in the B-list 2006
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:13 pm

Bring Teddy Ginn home, and get a 2nd rounder. Yes, it would be impossible, but can you imagine the spread offensive with JJ, BE, K2 and Ginn. Forget Quinn, put Cribbs back at QB and lets bring backyard football to the NFL!! Yes the defense would suck, but the Browns would have a legit chance of 50+ points a game.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:14 pm

Joens wrote:First pick would be wonderful.

we would probably trade down but either way i like it.

Are you insane? Watch Dorsey in the national champsionship game and tell me he's isn't the best player in this draft. Trade down for what?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby yogi » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:34 pm

Bill could strike a deal with his old boss, Jerry Jones for his 2 first round picks plus...

We could end up getting our original 1st round pick back.

Interesting turn of events.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby bostondog » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:24 pm

Are we throwing the baby out with the bath water here? People are acting like we're the Patriots after a disappointing season when in reality this is an overachieving team that could just as easily been 4-12.

Anderson's a 23 year old guy with all the physical tools and a lot of upside. In return, we're replacing him with a complete unknown in Quinn.

What happens next year if Quinn has a mediocre season? I want all the draftniks to remember what they said about Anderson this year. That the offensive line, skill positions, and play calling were the factors. Therefore, assuming those are constants next year, Quinn should have a kick ass year. And if he doesn't, we should run him out of town on a rail, right?

But we know that's not how it'll play out. The draftniks will plead for patience for the 1st Rder that they wouldn't give Anderson in what's essentially his rookie year.

Personally, I think Anderson would be a fool to resign here.
bostondog

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:09 pm

bostondog wrote:People are acting like we're the Patriots after a disappointing season when in reality this is an overachieving team that could just as easily been 4-12.

Were we watching the same team this year? Or are you talking about how the team could've easily been 4-12 if Thomas, Steinbach, Winslow, Edwards, and JLew were all on the same bus going over a cliff?
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby yogi » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:12 pm

4 intercepts in a melt down performance.

He had the much superior team with a play-off berth on the line a "sh**" the bed.

He "saved" his worst for the biggest game of the year.

It wasn't just throwing into double and triple coverage. Many times he did pick the right guy and threw it 5 yards behind him or over his head. Occasionally he'd mix things up and throw 1 or 2 at Braylon's feet.

It was the worst performance I've seen by a Brown's QB. Maybe ever.

The qualifier being all other stinkeroo's put up by our QB's of the past at least felt pressure.

DA threw the ball maybe 50 time? At most 5 times he was pressured.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby jb » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:14 pm

bostondog wrote:Are we throwing the baby out with the bath water here? People are acting like we're the Patriots after a disappointing season when in reality this is an overachieving team that could just as easily been 4-12.

Anderson's a 23 year old guy with all the physical tools and a lot of upside. In return, we're replacing him with a complete unknown in Quinn.

Forget what we all thought in August. It doesn't matter.

I can't go here BD. This team lost convincingly only twice this season. There's no way this was a 4 - 12 overachieving team. This was a legit 10 win team - if only due to the easiest schedule this side of Columbus.

This isn't throwing out babes w/ bathwater. It was a complete exposure of a mentally soft player who looks like a world beater when there's no adversity, but completely chokes when faced with a tough, must-win, game.

I haven't bee this disgusted with a Cleveland team since the 2005 Tribe. As mentally soft as anything I've seen in a long-ass time. Derick Anderson blew the season.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby dpdad » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:47 pm

This was a legit 10 win team - if only due to the easiest schedule this side of Columbus.

Agree. The Browns had a very favorable schedule. They only beat one team (Seattle) that has a winning record this year. Next year with Dallas and Indy on the schedule will be much tougher.

You'll never get the top overall pick for DA, but if Miami would give the first pick in the 2nd round for DA and maybe a lower round pick, I'd take it and run. Yes, DA led this team to 9 wins (so far), but how do we know what Quinn would have done with this offense? Maybe better? We'll never know.
dpdad

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:33 pm

bostondog wrote:Are we throwing the baby out with the bath water here? People are acting like we're the Patriots after a disappointing season when in reality this is an overachieving team that could just as easily been 4-12.

What happens next year if Quinn has a mediocre season? I want all the draftniks to remember what they said about Anderson this year. That the offensive line, skill positions, and play calling were the factors. Therefore, assuming those are constants next year, Quinn should have a kick ass year. And if he doesn't, we should run him out of town on a rail, right?

But we know that's not how it'll play out. The draftniks will plead for patience for the 1st Rder that they wouldn't give Anderson in what's essentially his rookie year.

SD :

We're on the verge of 10-6 and a possible playoff birth under Anderson , yet the dummies want us to knowingly take a step back with Brady instead of forcing him to compete show us he's better and take the job , which would mean he'd have to play at an even higher level or sit and watch while Anderson keeps dispatching opponents

Fucking maroooooooons .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:02 am

I'm one who wants to keep DA, but even I'd be willing to part ways with him if the Dolphins handed over their #1 overall pick for him. I think there will be a market for him, so the Browns might be able to get the first and third rounder.

I'd not do it if it were the Bears, but the #1 overall pick would give us Glenn Dorsey, an anchor on defense for years to come. The #1 pick in the third round would be damn nice to have as well.

I doubt the Dolphins would do that, but that would be the only situation where I trade Anderson. I understand and agree with worries about using an unproven Quinn, but if I'm handed the #1 overall pick I find it hard to pass that up when I know how much a guy like Dorsey could help the D.

And while I like DA, I still believe that BQ will be a better QB given some time. Give him a much improved defense and he'll have an easier time than DA has had this season.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:12 pm

There's a lot of pissed off Dolphins that want out of Cameron's system. We could have any number of guys that may demand a trade. That includes University of Akron's Jason Taylor. Taylor, a 2nd, and part of his salary covered for Carter and Anderson.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Prosecutor » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:41 pm

No way the Fins give up the #1 overall pick for a QB ranked 18th in rating. DA's numbers on the season are average, and he played a weak schedule and had a lot of support.

As for their top pick in the 2nd round, they used a high 2nd round pick last year on Beck, and he hasn't had a chance to develop yet. The Fins defense has given up more points than the Browns this year. They need all their picks to rebuild that defense. I can't see them giving up draft picks for DA.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby BadBecks » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:57 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
bostondog wrote:People are acting like we're the Patriots after a disappointing season when in reality this is an overachieving team that could just as easily been 4-12.

Were we watching the same team this year? Or are you talking about how the team could've easily been 4-12 if Thomas, Steinbach, Winslow, Edwards, and JLew were all on the same bus going over a cliff?

Keep in mind we played with a last place schedule and it will only be tougher next year with Dallas, Indy, and the Giants on our home schedule alone.
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner

Unread postby Guest » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:09 pm

DA isn't the answer to get us to the promised land.
I have no problem dealing him.

Unread postby jb » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:31 pm

Prosecutor wrote:No way the Fins give up the #1 overall pick for a QB ranked 18th in rating. DA's numbers on the season are average, and he played a weak schedule and had a lot of support.

But he's been getting much worse since October. So he's got that goin' for him, which is nice.
jb

Unread postby Audie » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:23 pm

Not saying it necessarily means anything but did anyone else hear Parcells at the end of his ESPN gig the other night?

When queing to Steve Young he said aloud, "Hey Steve, I'm looking for a quarterback. You know where I can find one who is not left handed and stays in the pocket?"

Now it could have been just conversation but maybe it was a Freudian Slip.....in any event, DA sure does remind one of Drew Bledsoe at times......

juss sayin'
Audie

Unread postby jb » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:29 pm

Audie wrote:Not saying it necessarily means anything but did anyone else hear Parcells at the end of his ESPN gig the other night?

When queing to Steve Young he said aloud, "Hey Steve, I'm looking for a quarterback. You know where I can find one who is not left handed and stays in the pocket?"

Now it could have been just conversation but maybe it was a Freudian Slip.....in any event, DA sure does remind one of Drew Bledsoe at times......

juss sayin'

Audie? Audie Murph U ole son of a cuss?
jb

Unread postby Spin » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:33 pm

We're on the verge of 10-6 and a possible playoff birth under Anderson , yet the dummies want us to knowingly take a step back with Brady instead of forcing him to compete show us he's better and take the job , which would mean he'd have to play at an even higher level or sit and watch while Anderson keeps dispatching opponents

He's had a lot of chances to show us too, hasn't he?

And who the hell has Anderson dispatched? It's either been a big defensive play, a great run, or a great receiver making a hall of fame catch of a pass thrown 5' off target.

I don't want to trade anybody. I want two QB's on the roster who are worthy of wearing an NFL jersey.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:01 pm

Bill Parcells is considered by many as a football genius. I hope this genius decides to part with some draft picks to acquire Derek Anderson this offseason.
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby jb » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:03 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD :

Fucking maroooooooons .

SoulDawg

We let the Bung holes run for 900 yards.

Gimme 2 first day pix for Scott Mitchell 2 fix the front 7 and I'd jizz.

Cause I know football.

u ?
jb

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:28 am

JB wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD :

Fucking maroooooooons .

SoulDawg

We let the Bung holes run for 900 yards.

Gimme 2 first day pix for Scott Mitchell 2 fix the front 7 and I'd jizz.

Cause I know football.

u ?

SD:

You'd jizz over a picture of 90 year old Margaret Mitchell as long as she was wearing a signed Tim couch Jersey .

whatever you think u know save it , u need it .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:20 am

And who the hell has Anderson dispatched? It's either been a big defensive play, a great run, or a great receiver making a hall of fame catch of a pass thrown 5' off target.

That is the biggest load of crap, DA has had many fine throws and a some pretty damn great throws as well.

Just b/c he does have bad throws doesn't discount the good ones he has.

For every throw 5 feet off target and gone imcomplete the past 3 weeks there has been a good one dropped by BE or KW2, I've got em all on DVD.

...and sometimes just sometimes that throw a few feet off target is actually done on purpose so the WR is the only one to catch it, not saying that is what DA does but nobody knows when a QB does that or not.

Shit "the catch" was a throw by Montana meant to go out of bounds, but now it gets played 25 times season on highlight reels.

FUDU

Unread postby oberle » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:20 am

JB wrote: It was a complete exposure of a mentally soft player who looks like a world beater when there's no adversity, but completely chokes when faced with a tough, must-win, game.

I will not defend DA, who performed this season, about as well as I could have expected; but I gotta disagree with this.

When he's got all week to think about it, he's 0-1 in a tough, must-win, game.

Boy, I've never seen any HOF QB ever have a bad game in a tough, must-win, game.; therefore DA must suck. (with tongue planted firmly in cheek.)

However, I've seen DA drive the Browns down the field a couple of times this season, when one mistake would end the game.

CInc - 1, Balt - 2, Pitt - 2, Seattle, Oakland, Arizona.

The Browns fell into a hole in those games, sometimes as a direct result of DA's mistakes, but it doesn't take away from the fact that DA performed in a tough, must-win, situation.

My opinion of DA hasn't changed. He's gonna be the best backup QB in the NFL in a couple of years (tops) unless somebody throws the Browns a couple of major draft picks.
Cleveland, you gotta be tough!

(135 & Counting)
oberle
Ain't Rocket Science

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:45 am

When he's got all week to think about it, he's 0-1 in a tough, must-win, game.

Good point.

Too many people think players get just one chance to prove themselves.

Funny thing is if Brady Quinn were to start Sunday and fail the line of excuses that would be used would be longer than the line at the BMV.

It is already being stated in every thread on the subject, if Quinn plays and does poorly it is only his first game etc...

FUDU

Unread postby Audie » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:25 pm

5 x 5 come correct...money money on my mind, mind on money on the clock............
I love DA and I can't wait to see him do great this week, see the Tits lose, and see him have a great playoff game no matter what the outcome....

I'll be even happier if this scenerio unfolds and we get a 1st and 3rd for him...........

you know that time don't wait
tic tic toc don't stop

Down in court square I was chained to the block

BQ is The Chosen One...The Golden Child...The Second Comming Himself....

Had to cross the Free Bridge just to protect the flock

If Tuna Melt of some other nitwit will give us a 1st and 3rd take it and never look back...

Schemin' like a teamster, fleecin' off the dock

Can you imagine McFadden in this O and Jason Taylor at DE?

Gold and silver cold cold platinum rocks

Talk to me baby...gimme picks picks picks

Rocks of fine ermine and tooo much fabulaous fox

Money money on my mind

mind on money on the clock

you know that time don't wait

tic tic tock don't stop
Audie

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:52 pm

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:04 pm

Swerb wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3177634&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Tuna gets his GM ....

Is Carthon on his HC short list?
jb

Parcells

Unread postby hornet84 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:24 pm

FightDr wrote:DA isn't the answer to get us to the promised land.
I have no problem dealing him.

Just remember if we trade DA, we are one hit away from Ken Dorsey. I like Dorsey holding a clipboard better than running our offense. Miami will never give up the the #1 pick straight up for DA. I would hold on to him for one more year and see what shakes out. That is unless someone overwhelms us with draft picks. Are there any solid veteran backups available this offseason ? Do we want to throw Quinn into the fire if our schedule is as tough as we think it is going to be ? DA has some tools and is young enough to overcome some of his deficincies. Hopefully the Tuna is rapidly approaching dementia and would be willing to overpay for a young QB. Alot to think about. My opinion is hold onto DA until we find a capable backup for Quinn.
hornet84
Big Mon

Favorite Player: The Big Show
Least Favorite Player: Bud Selig

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:26 pm

JB wrote:Is Carthon on his HC short list?

Chris Mortensen reports that he is.

Warning: this is from memory (ESPN radio) in the drive-thru:

Sporano
Carthon
Mike Tice
Rex Ryan
Some coordinator from the Cardinals
A sixth guy
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby yogi » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:11 pm

Sporano
Carthon
Mike Tice
Rex Ryan
Some coordinator from the Cardinals
A sixth guy

Let's not read into Mo being on the list too much.
a) Mo is a soldier under Parcells. Parcells puts a friend back on the future HC list map and helps himself by
b) interviewing Mo as a minority candidate.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:55 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
JB wrote:Is Carthon on his HC short list?

Sporano

Anthony or AJ ?
jb

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:12 pm

JB wrote:Sporano

Anthony or AJ ?[/quote]

Honest to God, his name is Tony.
Steve Buffum