Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

So how does this year's O-Line stack up?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

So how does this year's O-Line stack up?

Unread postby comish » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:31 am

No sacks allowed again yesterday. I believe around 16 total for the season.

There is NO DOUBT this is the best line the Brown's have had since the re-birth, but I'm starting to wonder if this may be the best line they have had EVER.

Even in the 80's I remember the complaining about how we needed a better line.

Thoughts?
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby fundamentals » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:59 am

People can point to Anderson or the other weapons on offense for the season thus far, but the line should get most of the credit. It is solid.
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:18 am

Shaffer should be at left tackle, Ryan Tucker is worthless playing out of position, Fraley is a bum, we paid way too much for Steinbach, and Joe Thomas was a ridiculous reach at #3.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby fundamentals » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:20 am

jfiling wrote:Shaffer should be at left tackle, Ryan Tucker is worthless playing out of position, Fraley is a bum, we paid way too much for Steinbach, and Joe Thomas was a ridiculous reach at #3.

:eek: :o :-o
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:28 am

Well, at the very least it's a better line than any during the Bernie era. Even in '86 and '87 we were doing it with low-round draft picks like Paul Farren, scrap-heap guys and USFL refugees like George Lilja and Dan Fike, and guys converted from other positions like Rickey Bolden. I think the guy drafted highest out of that line was Mike Baab, and he was something like a fifth-round pick. There was no franchise guy a la Joe Thomas.

Go back to 1979-80 at least to find an offensive line this good, at least on the pass-blocking side.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby onlyindreams » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:42 am

I think the left side could be the best we've had. The right side is above average but we have trouble consistently running that way.
onlyindreams

Favorite Player: Browns Backup QB
Least Favorite Player: Browns Starting QB

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:16 am

fundamentals wrote:
jfiling wrote:Shaffer should be at left tackle, Ryan Tucker is worthless playing out of position, Fraley is a bum, we paid way too much for Steinbach, and Joe Thomas was a ridiculous reach at #3.

:eek: :o :-o

I hope you could tell I was kidding.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:07 pm

onlyindreams wrote:I think the left side could be the best we've had. The right side is above average but we have trouble consistently running that way.

Go back a ways and look at the lines from '63-'69. Scafrath made the Pro Bowl every year as LT. Plus add a HOF'er (Hickerson) and a sprinkling of other Pro Bowlers (Wooten, Morrow) and that line was certainly one of the best. Not that Thomas and Steinbach can't get there eventually, but I think we might want to wait more than 13 games before throwing around terms like "best ever". YMMV
mattvan1

Unread postby comish » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:20 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
onlyindreams wrote:I think the left side could be the best we've had. The right side is above average but we have trouble consistently running that way.

Go back a ways and look at the lines from '63-'69. Scafrath made the Pro Bowl every year as LT. Plus add a HOF'er (Hickerson) and a sprinkling of other Pro Bowlers (Wooten, Morrow) and that line was certainly one of the best. Not that Thomas and Steinbach can't get there eventually, but I think we might want to wait more than 13 games before throwing around terms like "best ever". YMMV

Well, Matt, I am 36. So maybe a better statement would have been, Best in MY lifetime. If you are going back to the 60's to find one better . . . then I would be spot on.
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:23 pm

Best line I've seen in my lifetime, but I grew up in the 80s and 90s.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby oberle » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:24 pm

MV:

oberle:

And how appropriate that a poster with Hal Lebovitz as his avatar would post this!.

The only thing I disagree with is "YMMV."

The middle '60's had Fred Hoaglin at center. My recollection is that he was a pretty fair Center; even if he didn't go to any Pro Bowls.

BTW, the 1950 OL was

Groza, Houston (Jim's older brother, Lin), Gatski, Gibron, Rymkus (or Sandusky) with Alex Agase as the messenger guard.

That's 3 HOf'ers and a couple of Pro-Bowlers on that line, also.
Cleveland, you gotta be tough!

(135 & Counting)
oberle
Ain't Rocket Science

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:15 pm

comish wrote: Well, Matt, I am 36. So maybe a better statement would have been, Best in MY lifetime. If you are going back to the 60's to find one better . . . then I would be spot on.

Unfortunately, you have to go back to the 60's to find a championship as well. Also, the 81 line sent 3 to the Pro Bowl - Joe DeLamielleure, Tom DeLeone, and Doug Dieken. We sucked that year, though, so I don't know if that may have been a carryover from the Kardiac Kids seaon in 1980. Not that a Pro Bowl invite is the measuring stick, but Joe D is a HOF'er as well.
mattvan1

Unread postby brooks1957 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:06 pm

Do you notice on Jamal's dagger to the heart of the Jets, it was a run to the left side? It's not just about the sacks. Old School, baby - way to jam it down their throats!
brooks1957

Unread postby Joens » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:17 pm

can anybody find some stats on like ypc to left and right and how many times we run to each side.
Cremincus- Something completely and utterly unbelievable. Published in the B-list 2006
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:19 pm

Joens wrote:can anybody find some stats on like ypc to left and right and how many times we run to each side.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=2136
mattvan1

Unread postby swerb » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:03 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Joens wrote:can anybody find some stats on like ypc to left and right and how many times we run to each side.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=2136

Couple great stats for Jamal ...

Left Side 87 483 5.6

--------

Rush Att. 11-15 51 204 4.0
Rush Att. 16-20 34 164 4.8
Rush Att. 21-25 16 119 7.4
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL