Text Size

The Rumble Room

Marquez/Vazquez III ... Do Not Miss It

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Marquez/Vazquez III ... Do Not Miss It

Unread postby swerb » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:35 am

Saturday night, Showtime.

Regardless of whether or not you are an obsessed boxing fan that watches fights every Friday and Saturday night, or the casual fan that just tunes in for the biggest bouts, do not miss this one.

Rafael Marquez was the established king at 118. Israel Vasquez was tops at 122. Last January, it finally became inevitable. These guys, both Mexican, both on top pound for pound lists everywhere ... had to meet.

The fight was amazing. Got another chance to see it last night. Both guys are so quick, and very powerful for this weight class. So many times at the lower weight classes ... you'll see guys beat each other up without bloodying each other. Not these guys. In the 1st round, Marquez had completely busted Vasquez's nose, and soaked his face in blood. The fight looked over. Then Vasquez fought back, dropping Marquez in the 3rd after a couple of ferocious hooks. The two went toe to toe for four more rounds, landing power shot after power shot. After 7, Vasquez's nose stretched from ear to ear. It was so badly broken he could no longer continue.

Fast forward to August. The rematch. As amazing as the first fight was, this one was even better. The 3rd round of this fight was the greatest round of boxing I have ever seen, save only the classsic Hagler/Hearns 1st rd of their one fight where they just came out and killed each other for three minutes from the opening bell.

And then my thoughts were validated when ESPN called it the best round of boxing last year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing ... id=3173658

Many columnists also called the second fight the top overall fight of the year. It made every top 3 list.

Vasquez ended up winning the second one with a series of vicious left hooks in the 6th.

Despite their stature, these are two of the most violent knockout artists in the sport. And the first two fights have been amazing. The third is certain to be as well.

The trilogy is going to go down as one of the greatest in recent boxing history, right up there with Gatti/Ward and Barrera/Morales.

Don't miss the rubber match Sat night ...
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:49 pm

Thank god for DVR
I'll be in Columbus and will be watching this as soon as I get in Sunday.

Unread postby swerb » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:42 pm

My god ... are there two funner and more violent fighters to watch fight?

Amazing fight through 4.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:32 pm

Unbelievable fight ....

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:54 pm

Wow
What a great fight..............again
Vasquez poured it on late to win.
Unreal action.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:55 pm

Finally had some time to rewatch, sit back, and reflect on this one last night, and unthinkably, this may have been the best fight of the trilogy. And this trilogy? I'd put it ahead of Gatti/Ward cause of the skill of the fighters ... and right there with Barrera/Morales as the best trilogy I've ever seen with my own eyes.

Both of these guys are SO good. Such powerful fighters that simply cannot be stopped offensively. While neither are A+ defensive fighters, they both have iron chins.

I thought Marquez won this fight last night. Barely. I had him up 2 pts on my card. He controlled the fight with his jab, and while he lacks Vasquez power, I thought he won more rounds and dished out more overall punishment.

While I think the knockdown in the 12th (which cost him the fight) was the right call, I thought he got hosed a little on the low blows, which he lost a point for. Replays showed that only one of the three was legitimately low.

This all said, it's easy to see how this one could have gone either way. Vasquez getting the split decision was not a robbery, and he fought a valiant fight as well, sustaining massive amounts of damage and lacerations to his face to drop Rafael in the 12th in the corner.

Normally, one would tire of seeing the same fighters go at it a 4th time. But not in this case. These two are simply so gifted, so talented, I haven't seen anyone at 118 or 122 who can come close to beating these guys. They are so evenly matched. And with their styles, you are absolutely 100% guaranteed of a thrilling fight.

What an amazing trilogy. If you missed it, you've missed some of the best fights of the last 20-30 years.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Re: Marquez/Vazquez III ... Do Not Miss It

Unread postby swerb » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Replay of this scrap on one of the secondary Showtimes right now. Such a great fight.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Return to The Rumble Room