Text Size

No Holds Barred

you think baseball players get paid ridiculous money??

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

you think baseball players get paid ridiculous money??

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:44 pm

David Beckham will leave Real Madrid and join Major League Soccer side LA Galaxy at the end of the season.
The 31-year-old former England captain will sign a five-year deal, reportedly worth £128m.

Beckham said: "This week Real asked me to make a decision regarding their offer to extend my contract.

"After considering several options to stay in Madrid or join other major British and European teams, I have decided to join LA Galaxy."

Interview: American sports journalist Sean Wheelock
Replay: David Beckham quits as England captain

In a statement, Beckham continued: "I would like to thank the supporters and people of Madrid who have made my family and I feel so welcome in my time here, making this an extremely difficult decision to make.

I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football

David Beckham

"I have enjoyed my time in Spain enormously and I am extremely grateful to the club for giving me the opportunity to play for such a great team and their amazing fans.

"I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football and I look forward to the new challenge of growing the world's most popular game in a country that is as passionate about its sport as my own.

"For the rest of this season I will continue to give 100% to my coach, team-mates and fans as I believe manager Fabio Capello will bring this club and its supporters the success they truly deserve."

Real Madrid confirmed Beckham's departure in a statement, saying: "Both parties have agreed that Beckham will not extend his current contract, which ends on 30 June 2007."

Beckham left Manchester United in July 2003 to sign for Real, who paid £25m for the midfielder's services.

However, in the three-and-a-half seasons since his arrival, the Spanish giants have failed to win any major trophies.

This season has proved particularly disappointing for Beckham, who was dropped by England coach Steve McClaren and then fell out of favour with Real boss Capello.

How the BBC Sport website broke the news in November

LA Galaxy admitted their interest in signing Beckham in November, when general manager Alexi Lalas told the BBC Sport website of his admiration for the former England captain.

In an exclusive interview, Lalas said: "The Los Angeles Galaxy are looked upon as the jewel of Major League Soccer.

"We play in the best stadium, we have had incredible success over the history of the league, we have had great individual players and great teams. There's a tradition of excellence.

"All of this leads to this race to become the first MLS super club, if you will.

"It is something we aspire to and in order to do that you have to have quality players, a direction and a passion, a good coach and you have to get credibility domestically and internationally.

"Signing players of Beckham's stature would be a wonderful step in the right direction not just for the Galaxy but for soccer in America."

606: DEBATE
He's won the FA Cup, Premiership, Champions League, been England captain and played for two of the best sides in the world - if he wants to go and play in America, I don't blame him

CR
606: Have your say

Beckham is the biggest name to sign up for Major League Soccer since its inception in 1996 and the most famous player to play club football in the US since Pele, Franz Beckenbauer and Johan Cruyff competed in the North American Soccer League in the 1970s and early '80s.

LA Galaxy are owned by sports and entertainment giants AEG, who are also partners in Beckham's soccer academy in Los Angeles.

AEG president Timothy J. Leiweke said: "David Beckham will have a greater impact on soccer in America than any athlete has ever had on a sport globally.

"David is truly the only individual that can build the 'bridge' between soccer in America and the rest of the world."

Landon Donovan, Galaxy's star player, agreed that Beckham's arrival would be a huge boost to MLS.

"I think it's hard to quantify what David Beckham being here would mean," he said.

"Marketing-wise it's a dream come true and it's not a 35, 36-year-old washed-up guy.

"It's a guy who can still play and a guy who still has a lot of appeal, probably the most famous soccer player in the world."

£128m = about $250m for 5 years??

Beckham is as washed up as they come, still just 31 and has to ply his trade in america LOL
Last edited by British_Pharaoh on Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:09 pm

He plays football?

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:13 pm

He plays football?

yeah actual football

not american rugby with padding and helmets
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:21 pm

Football?

I thought the Galaxy was a soccer team?
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:26 pm

Football?

I thought the Galaxy was a soccer team?

eeeewwww

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:26 pm

Maybe an XFL team????

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:48 pm

soc·cer (skr) KEY

NOUN:

A game played on a rectangular field with net goals at either end in which two teams of 11 players each try to drive a ball into the other's goal by kicking, heading, or using any part of the body except the arms and hands. The goalie is the only player who may touch or move the ball with the arms or hands.

My son recieved a soccer ball once for a gift.............. needless to say, it was in the garbage that night! :lol:
Last edited by Dozen on Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby mswerb » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:08 pm

Whatever you want to call it, it blows. I'd rather watch the crazy bastards in the stands kill each other than watch the game itself.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:33 pm

Whatever you want to call it, it blows. I'd rather watch the crazy bastards in the stands kill each other than watch the game itself.

typical american :x :mad: :-x

fucks me off the way some of you pig ignorant people think

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:37 pm

Danny, settle down. Bashing soccer is an American pasttime. We're just having fun with you.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:10 pm

typical american :x :mad: :-x

fucks me off the way some of you pig ignorant people think

Image Image Image
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby mswerb » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:38 pm

Yeah, settle down. I personally do not care for soccer, sorry if it offends you, but I have NEVER had an interest in the game. The action in the stands is where it's at. Random acts of violence towards other people, cool. :thumright: :thumleft:
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby pup » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:45 pm

Come on guys, give soccer a break, it is a great way for little girls to learn how to share.

Plus, you have a chance they end up with bodies like Heather Mitts'.

http://www.heathermitts.com/gallery_model.htm
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby mswerb » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:54 pm

Who? :scratch:
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby pup » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:54 am

She was a soccer player who won ESPN.com PPage 2 hottest female athlete a couple years ago :!:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:31 am

Heard this on Rome yesterday..LMFAO! :lol:
https://secure.mlsnet.com/t106/fans/try ... /register/
2007 L.A. Galaxy Open Player Tryout Registration
The Los Angeles Galaxy have announced that the club will hold open tryouts for male soccer players ages 18 and older who believe they can succeed at the Major League Soccer level on February 10th and 11th at The Home Depot Center in Carson, California.

All players hoping to attend the tryouts must fill out the application form below for consideration by the L.A. Galaxy coaching staff to participate in the tryouts. Applications must be submitted ONLINE and you must have a valid e-mail address as applications will not be accepted via fax or over the phone. THE REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 2 at 3 PM PT - NO EXCEPTIONS!

All registrants will be contacted with a registration confirmation via e-mail on or before Friday, February 5.

Registration is $130 and space is extremely limited and will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis - so please apply early. To submit an application for the Los Angeles Galaxy Player Tryouts, please fill out the form below. All fields marked with an * are required.
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:13 am

Heard this on Rome yesterday..LMFAO! :lol:
https://secure.mlsnet.com/t106/fans/try ... /register/
2007 L.A. Galaxy Open Player Tryout Registration
The Los Angeles Galaxy have announced that the club will hold open tryouts for male soccer players ages 18 and older who believe they can succeed at the Major League Soccer level on February 10th and 11th at The Home Depot Center in Carson, California.

All players hoping to attend the tryouts must fill out the application form below for consideration by the L.A. Galaxy coaching staff to participate in the tryouts. Applications must be submitted ONLINE and you must have a valid e-mail address as applications will not be accepted via fax or over the phone. THE REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 2 at 3 PM PT - NO EXCEPTIONS!

All registrants will be contacted with a registration confirmation via e-mail on or before Friday, February 5.

Registration is $130 and space is extremely limited and will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis - so please apply early. To submit an application for the Los Angeles Galaxy Player Tryouts, please fill out the form below. All fields marked with an * are required.

guess you ahd to be there??

:? :-? :???: :? :-? :???:

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:35 am

Hey Dozen, fix that avatar. Makes the screen all messed up (just make it smaller). :-) :smile: :)
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:41 am

better? :lol:
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:43 am

LOL. Now all I see is a red x. Perfect. :twisted:
consigliere

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:48 am

really, I see it :batman:
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby Guest » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:12 pm

I see it too and it's hilarious

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:15 pm

LOL, I stole it from Straz 8) :cool: 8-)
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:20 pm

Apparently, computers with some sort of proxy running won't be able to view that pic, which is why it is red xed. I'll probably be able to see it from my home computer later. Sort of like Danny Crisp's sig, which is red xed for me on my work computer.
consigliere

Return to No Holds Barred