Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

ANY MOCK DRAFTS OUT YET?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

ANY MOCK DRAFTS OUT YET?

Unread postby tdcatcher » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:05 pm

just looking to see what the browns are going after this year and how the Jets will screw it up again
tdcatcher

Unread postby pup » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:08 pm

There is one posted a few articles down.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:18 pm

I'll try and link a couple in this thread tonight. There are several out already. On the "Browns" page on this site ... I like my 10-12 favorite NFL draft sites. Nearly all have a recently updated mock draft up.

Welcome aboard tdcatcher.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Will Jets screw up?

Unread postby yogi » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:17 pm

welcome tdcatcher, although the Browns are my favs, I follow the Giants and Jets too, being from NJ.

The Jets just announced a new GM Mike Tannenbaum (Terry Bradway will take a reduced role in the org, prob head scout) , Tannenbaum was very instrumental in getting Eric Mangini to become HC for the Jets. Look for Mangini to now have a big say on the draft.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/ ... ew_GM.html

If I were the Jets, I'd look to move down a few spots and get an extra pick or 2. Does this mean the Jets will look to move to the 3-4 defense also?[/url]
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby pup » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:34 pm

I know a team that may be intersted in moving up to the Jets spot. Now with a very New Engalnd presence in both of the organizations, maybe they will get together and get the Browns Ferguson.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby swerb » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:03 pm

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

Great mock draft from NFL Draft Countdown, updated and posted today. Has long, thorough writeups.

Has the Browns taking Iowa LB Chad Greenway in the 1st rd, and DeAngelo Williams and CB Jimmy Williams still on the board when they pick.

In the 2nd round it has them taking LT Eric Winston from Mia, FL ... who had been a high 1st rd projection in several mocks I've seen over the last month.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:10 pm

http://www.gbnreport.com/2006projection.html

GBN's latest has us taking NC St DE Manny Lawson, who impressed at the Senior Bowl, and is the guy you see tagged at #12 to the Browns more than anyone else right now.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:13 pm

http://2006.ontheclockdraft.com/mock.php?id=2

On The Clock has us taking Boston College DE Mathias Kiwanuka.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:16 pm

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/mock_draft.htm

NFL Draft Blitz has us taking Oregon DT Haloti Ngata.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:32 pm

So, if all of those guys are available, what will the Browns do? Does Greenway fit into the 3-4? Thompson will probably be manning the "freelance" backer position, so Greenway would probably have to play the left side and be more disciplined.

No way they go corner after bringing in Baxter and locking up Bodden.

I think the guy from Oregon fits, but is a NT really worth a #12?

A pass rushing defensive end does intrigue me a little......

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Lebowski » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:28 am

I like Lawson the best out of all of them. I'm not really big on Ngata...don't see him as the Wilfork/Hampton type we need. I think they address NT through FA.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby swerb » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:18 pm

NFL Draft Blitz updated mock ... has the Browns taking Winston Justice.

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/mock_draft.htm

1) Houston Texans- Reggie Bush- RB, USC- I have said it before, and I will say it until I am blue in the face. This pick is a huge mistake. Davis is playing well, Morency had marginal success, and their running game is fine. They should draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson to protect Carr. With that being said, Bob McNair has all but guaranteed to draft Bush. He is a phenomenal talent and will do very well for him self, but I think Houston can a do better job addressing there needs.

2) New Orleans Saints- Matt Leinart- QB, USC- This is a player who I have doubts about. He has trouble putting a zip on the ball which will lead to a lot of picks. Leinart also has the potential to be a Tom Brady type player. He has great intangibles and nice touch. Even with my doubts he is a much better QB than Aaron Brooks. Look for Payton to draft this QB and he already has a nice supporting cast.

3) Tennessee Titans- Vince Young- QB, USC- This pick is amazing for both Young and the Titans. Vince Young is a mirror image of his idle, and mentor, Steve McNair. Steve McNair can mentor Young for another 2 maybe 3 years and then let is pupil flourish. Nobody can doubt his ability, and with the chance to sit for 2 years and learn the NFL game, he has the opportunity to become a perennial all-pro.

4) New York Jets- D'Brickashaw Ferguson- OT, Virginia- This man is amazing! D-Brick should be the #1 pick overall to Houston, but Mangini will not mind taking this stud tackle here. He can pass block, he can run block, he can just flat out play. He will greatly improve Pennington's chance of staying healthy.

5) Green Bay Packers- Mario Williams- DE, NC State- Green Bay is in a rebuilding phase. With Rodgers, Driver and even Gado, who had a nice rookie year, the Pack is ok for offense right now. They need help on defense, and Williams is a monster. Williams and KJB will give opposing quarterbacks nightmare with their pass rush.

6) Oakland Raiders- AJ Hawk- OLB, Ohio State- There is an old saying, "Offense sells tickets, Defense wins games" Oakland knows this all too well. Hawk comes in and actually creates some legitimacy to the Raiders defense.

7) San Francisco 49rs- DeAngelo Williams- RB, Memphis- I like Gore, and I think he can be good, Williams can be great. I don't want to hear "He is undersized". Williams is a player. I can cut, he can block and he can catch out of the backfield. He reminds me of Warrick Dunn, he is a tough runner who will not let his size stop him from ripping a big one between the tackles. I now believe in DeAngelo as a big time back.

8) Buffalo Bills- Haloti Ngata- DT, Oregon- The Bills miss Pat Williams a lot. After this draft, they won't miss him anymore. Ngata is a BIG tackle that will stuff the run and still has the quickness to get after the quarterback.

9) Detroit Lions- Jay Cutler- QB, Vanderbilt- This pick shows Millen's ineptitude as a NFL executive. As good as Cutler is, he will not help Detroit. The Lions need offensive line help or defense. I think they should pick Justice or a big time defensive pick, but this will be the pick. I just hope this is Millen's last pick.

10) Arizona Cardinals- Jimmy Williams- S/CB, Virginia Tech- I am a huge fan of the progress Arizona has made. They need help in a few areas, but are really close to being a playoff contender. Last year they drafted Antrel Rolle and Eric Green to start the makings of a shut down secondary. This year, Jimmy Williams can be the final piece of the puzzle. A corner at Virginia Tech, Williams will probably play safety in the NFL. He can cover and lower the boom; Williams can be just like another Williams, Roy Williams.

11) St. Louis Rams- Michael Huff- S, Texas- Huff may be the best cover safety in the draft. He will help the Rams a lot. St. Louis promised to get a nice defense next year. They can start by drafting this playmaker.

12) Cleveland Browns- Winston Justice- OT, USC- Cleveland has their franchise quarterback in Charlie Frye, so now look for them to get him some protection. The may go Manny Lawson here, but I think #12 overall is too much of a reach for him. Don't look now, Cleveland may be building a good team.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:52 pm

We can't even get complimented without getting slapped in the face. "Don't look now, Cleveland could be building a good team" FU!

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:13 pm

Pup wrote:We can't even get complimented without getting slapped in the face. "Don't look now, Cleveland could be building a good team" FU!

Aw, c'mon. Do you think we've built a good team (to date)? I sure don't.

A slap in the face would be, "Don't look now, but Cleveland might only suck instead of sucking royally," or "Don't look now, but teams may need to start using 11 players on offense AND defense to beat the Browns!"

I am hopeful that Savage and Crennel will work synergistically, but hope != expectation.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby swerb » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:09 pm

Updated mock from Footballs Future has us taking Bos Coll DE Mathias Kiwanuka in the 1st, and cornerback Ashton Youboty from THE Ohio State University in the 2nd rd.

Baxter, Youboty, Bodden, Cutch ... that would be a pretty good collection of corners.

The front seven is a mess though. FA will in large part dictate the draft.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/mock2006.html

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby SOBO » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:10 pm

Hell, I've already tweaked mine since the Savage piece. Well actually it wasn't really a tweek, but more just approaching it another way. Basically I approached it with the thought of not "projecting" where players will be, and more where they are currently. Some guys who I would have had late round 1, kind of fell for that reason simply because I'm not working under supposed workout assumptions they're supposed to put up at the combine. If you look pretty much at the first three rounds, only one guys is really being projected high because he recently got a full bill of health.

Hope you enjoy....

Round 1

1. Houston - Reggie Bush RB USC
2. New Orleans - Matt Leinart QB USC
3. Tennessee - Vince Young QB Texas
4. NY Jets - D’Brickashaw Ferguson OT Virginia
5. Green Bay - Mario Williams DE NC St.
6. Oakland - AJ Hawk LB Ohio St.
7. San Francisco - DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis
8. Buffalo - Winston Justice OT
9. Detroit - Michael Huff S/CB Texas
10.Arizona - Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt
11.St.Louis - Vernon Davis TE Maryland

12.Cleveland - Haloti Ngata NT Oregon
-- One thing is for certain....somehow, someway, the Browns HAVE to address the nose tackle position. Romeo listed stopped the run, and rushing the passer as the team's two main priorities this offseason. Ngata is the best pure run stuffer in this class, bar none. The question just comes up whether or not it will be addressed before the draft. In this case, I'm not going to assumed that we have and take who best fits this team.

13.Baltimore - LenDale White RB USC
14.Philadelphia - Santonio Holmes WR Ohio St
15.Atlanta - Jimmy Williams CB Virginia Tech
16.Miami - Manny Lawson DE NC St.
17.Minnesota - Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota
18.Dallas - Chad Greenway LB Iowa
19.San Diego - Tye Hill CB Clemson
20.Kansas City - Tamba Hali DE Penn St
21.New England - Bobby Carpenter LB Ohio St.
22.Denver* - Mathias Kiwanuka DE Boston College
23.Tampa Bay - Broderick Bunkley DT Florida St.
24.Cincinnati - Marcedes Lewis TE UCLA
25.NY Giants - Darnell Bing S USC
26.Chicago - Leonard Pope TE Georgia
27.Carolina - Chad Jackson WR Florida
28.Jacksonville - Antonio Cromartie CB Florida St
29.Denver - Thomas Howard LB UTEP
30.Indianapolis - DeMeco Ryans LB Alabama
31.Seattle - Max Jean-Gilles OG Georgia
32.Pittsburgh - Nick Mangold C Ohio St.

Round 2

33.Houston - Eric Winston OT Miami
34.New Orleans - D’Qwell Jackson LB Maryland
35.Tennessee - Jon Scott OT Texas
36.NY Jets - Brian Calhoun RB Wisconsin
37.Green Bay - Charles Spencer OT/OG Pitt
38.Oakland - Claude Wroten DT LSU
39.San Francisco - Marcus McNeill OT Auburn
40.Buffalo - Gabe Watson DT Michigan
41.Detroit - Ernie Sims LB Florida St.
42.Arizona - Dominique Byrd TE USC

43.Cleveland - Kai Parham LB Virginia
-- Parham seems to me to be one of those player's flying under the radar and could help his stock quite a bit with a fantastic workout. That said, he is one of the best fits for this team in the draft. More experience in the 34 than any other LB in the draft. He's tough enough in the middle against the run to earn the nickname, "The Hammer", but also versatile enough to register 8.5 sacks rushing off the end of the line is passing situations. I'm higher on Parham than most, so I'm hoping he's there in round 2 and we don't pass on him.

44.Baltimore - Andrew Whitworth OT LSU
45.Philadelphia - Joseph Addai RB LSU
46.St.Louis - Ashton Youboty CB Ohio St.
47.Atlanta - Daryn Colledge OT Boise St
48.Minnesota - Sinorice Moss WR Miami
49.Dallas - Taitusi Lutui OG/OT USC
50.San Diego - Demetrius Summers WR Oregon
51.Miami - Omar Jacobs QB Bowling Green
52.New England - Maurice Drew RB UCLA
53.Washington - Darryl Tapp DE Virginia Tech
54.Kansas City - Devin Hester CB Miami
55.Cincinnati - Rodrique Wright DT Texas
56.NY Giants - Abdul Hodge LB Iowa
57.Chicago - Maurice Stovall WR Notre Dame
58.Carolina - Anthony Fasano TE Notre Dame
59.Tampa Bay - Stanley McClover DE Auburn
60.Jacksonville - Kamerion Wimbley DE Florida St
61.Denver - Martin Nance WR Miami (OH)
62.Indianapolis - Jerome Harrison RB Washington St.
63.Seattle - Mike Kudla DE Ohio St
64.Pittsburgh - Jesse Mahelona DT Tennessee

Round 3

65.Houston - Ko Simpson S South Carolina
66.Houston* - Greg Eslinger C Minnesota
67.Green Bay - Daniel Bullocks S Nebraska
68.San Francisco - Will Blackmon CB/WR Boston College
69.Oakland - Marcus Vick QB Virginia Tech
70.Buffalo* - Ryan Cook C/RT New Mexico
71.NY Jets - Charlie Whitehurst QB Clemson
72.Arizona - Anthony Smith S Syracuse
73.Buffalo - Greg Blue S Georgia
74.Detroit - Daniael Manning CB Texas Abilene
75.New England* - Kelly Jennings CB Miami
76.Philadelphia - AJ Nicholson LB Florida St.
77.St.Louis - Derek Hagan WR Arizona St.

78.Cleveland - Davin Joseph OG/OT Oklahoma
-- One way or another the O-line still needs to be upgraded. When it comes to the draft, it doesn't appear the Browns are in position to really address it by adding an automatic starter. What a player like Joseph brings is quality depth at guard with a banged up Andruzzi and Coleman with only one year left on his deal in front of him. Not to mention Joseph has quite a bit of left tackle experience in college if he's required to play that in a pinch. A big powerful lineman who can certianly be the future of one of our guard spots.

79.Atlanta - Mike Hass WR Oregon St
80.Dallas - Babatunde Oshinowo NT Stanford
81.San Diego - Freddie Roach LB Alabama
82.Miami - Jason Spitz C/OG Louisville
83.Minnesota - Gerris Wilkinson LB Georgia Tech
84.Washington - Ryan Plackemeier P Wake Forest
85.Kansas City - Dusty Dvoracek DT Oklahoma
86.New England - Elvis Dumervil DE Louisville
87.NY Giants - Kyle Williams DT LSU
88.Chicago - Cedric Griffen CB Texas
89.Carolina - Jason Avant WR Michigan
90.Tampa Bay - Joel Klopenstein TE Colorado
92.Jacksonville - Jahmile Addae S West Virginia
93.Denver - Charles Gordon CB Kansas
94.Indianapolis - Skyler Green WR LSU
95.Seattle - Steve Fifita DT Utah
96.Pittsburgh -Leon Washington RB Florida St

Round 4

97.Houston - Brandon Williams WR Wisconsin
98.New Orleans - Anwar Phillips CB Penn St.
99. Oakland - Dee Webb CB Florida
100.San Francisco - Parys Haralson DE Tennessee
101.Tennessee - Dwayne Slay S Texas Tech
102.NY Jets - Mark Anderson DE Alabama
103.Green Bay - Roger McIntosh LB Miami
104.Buffalo - David Thomas TE Texas
105.New England* - Rob Sims OG Ohio St.
106.Arizona - DonTrelle Moore RB New Mexico
107.Philadelphia - Greg Lee WR Pitt
108.St.Louis - Roman Harper S Alabama

109.Cleveland - Victor Adeyanju DE Indiana
-- The latest project to try and mold into a pass rushing OLB. Adeyanju is very raw, but has all the tools. Showed well enough at the Senior Bowl that he can play with the big boys. Will take time to develop but could possibly be a steal at this point down the road. Or if the coaching staff chooses at 270 currently; Victor could even put on some weight and play defensive end. He has that kind of potential.

SOBO
NFL Draft Guru

Unread postby swerb » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:42 pm

Nice work Sobo ...

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:32 am

The latest mock from FoxSports/CollegeFootballNews.com's Pete Fiutak.

Ngata to the Browns at #12.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5329722

1. Houston Texans - Reggie Bush, RB USC
New head coach Gary Kubiak was interested in Vince Young, but the management still believes in David Carr. The two sides have agreed to a contract extension making Bush to the Texans almost a foregone conclusion. The USC speed-burner gives the Texans the best chance to improve right now.

2. New Orleans Saints - Matt Leinart, QB USC
This is a franchise in need of stability and a sure-thing. Leinart provides both.

3. Tennessee Titans - Vince Young, QB Texas
The situation is almost too perfect. His mentor Steve McNair comes back for one more year giving offensive coordinator Norm Chow a season to work on Young's mechanics. New Orleans is going to think long and hard about the possibilities of taking the Longhorn star.

4. New York Jets - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT Virginia
They desperately want a young, non-Chad Pennington quarterback to build around, but the big two won't slide. Expect this to be the hot spot for trade talks.

5. Green Bay Packers - LenDale White, RB USC
Do you honestly believe the Packers are going to pin the hopes of their running game on Sam Gado? DeAngelo Williams will be tempting, but White provides more power.

6. Oakland Raiders - Mario Williams, DE NC State
Al Davis would love to take A.J. Hawk here, but Williams will be far too good to pass up.

7. San Francisco 49ers - Michael Huff, DB Texas
Huff solves a lot of problems for the porous Niner secondary. He'll start out at cornerback out of need, but he'll eventually be a star at safety.

8. Buffalo Bills - A.J. Hawk, LB Ohio State
His combine numbers will be off the charts and might even end up in the top five. Buffalo won't stay here. It needs offensive line help and will move down to get it.

9. Detroit Lions - Jay Cutler, QB Vanderbilt
Joey Harrington might become a Jet. Detroit needs someone to get the ball to all the great receiving talent, and while Cutler might not be anything special, he's an upgrade over the current situation.

10. Arizona Cardinals - Laurence Maroney, RB Minnesota
Like Buffalo, don't be shocked if Arizona trades down to load up on offensive linemen, or tries to move up to get Ferguson. J.J. Arrington and Marcel Shipp aren't the answer for the running game so Maroney, Williams, or if available, White, is the need pick. If Cutler falls, he's going here.

11. St. Louis Rams - Chad Greenway, LB Iowa
Greenway will be way too strong a prospect after the combines to fall any further.

12. Cleveland Browns - Haloti Ngata, DT Oregon
While not a need pick, head coach Romeo Crenel and his staff would love to have the best tackle in the draft fall this far. Wait and see how Kellen Winslow is progressing; Maryland's Vernon Davis might be a need pick.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby SOBO » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:28 pm

Looking at my last mock and this recent foxsports one Swerb provided, Ngata was the choice obviously. From what I've read, he's been VERY impressive in his workouts and looks fantastic. Odds are very good he might not be there at 12.

While I try not to compare prospects directly with pro players, the situation itself reminds me alot of when Dewayne Robertson came out a few years ago.

Anyone remember Robertson's rise in the draft in the 2003 draft?

Robertson was considered a mid to late first rounder when he declared. Then he skyrocketed and there was even a trading war to get to no.4 in the draft to select him. Why? Well he was a 6'3' 315 lber who tested off the charts in his personal day. I believe he ran somewhere in the 4.89 range for a man that size. In his career he had all the same knocks as Ngata, "Eat's up blocks, and doesn't make alot of plays." But people saw that athleticism and their eyes lit up. Robertson went on to have a subpar rookie year, and played much better this year.

Now take a look at Ngata currently. He's bigger and supposedly more athletic then all three guys mentioned above. This is a guy at 340 who supposedly can break 5 flat in his forty and put up almost 40 reps at 225 lbs.

Much like Robertson there is a very good player there with atronomical measureables for a man his size. As such, I think alot of scouts/draftniks are banking on this factor. Hence why he's rated higher than the better all around players like Hampton or Wilfork.

Add to the fact, this is an overall week year for defensive tackles. When Wilfork came out, Tommie Harris was right there on the same level depending on your system (which worked out for both teams). When Hampton came out, there were alot of "stud" COLLEGE prospects like Gerard Warren, Richard Seymour, Marcus Stroud. Even in Robertson's year there were alot of top talent DT's who went in the top 15. What don't you see this year? Any real competition for Ngata. He's clearly the best at his position, as such it will drive up his value some.

All these factor in why Ngata is going to go higher this year than he generally would any other year

All the more reason to bring in THIS guy day one of FA and not allow him to leave Cleveland for a couple years....

Looks like the ole mock will be needing a tweaking again. :D
SOBO
NFL Draft Guru

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:54 pm

Anyone remember Robertson's rise in the draft in the 2003 draft?

Robertson was considered a mid to late first rounder when he declared. Then he skyrocketed and there was even a trading war to get to no.4 in the draft to select him.

Sobo, if I'm not mistaken, didn't this happen with some DT for prolly 4 of 5 years? Last year the trend was broken, as the draft was weak at the top at DT, but the 5 years before that saw an incredible trend of multiple DTs taken in the top 10-12 picks every season.

Jonathon Sullivan, Ryan Sims, John Henderson, Gerard Warren, Richard Seymour, Albert Haynesworth come to mind ...
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:07 am

http://www.draftboardinsider.com/mock/2006.html

This updated mock has the Browns taking NC St DE Manny Lawson, and mentions a trade down ... which I've heard Savage talk about on multiple occassions. Said "it's much easier at 12 than 3".

Also, 4 Buckeyes in the 1st rd of this mock ...
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:29 am

I count 5
Not bad
Hawk
Carpenter
Youbouty
Holmes
Mangold
F Michigan

Unread postby swerb » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:17 am

Yes, my bad ... 5
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:53 pm

New Fox Sports mock has the Browns taking NC St DE Manny Lawson at #12.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5449624
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby gardawg62 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:49 pm

gardawg62

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:02 am

I like the way that one plays out ...
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch