Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

When You're In Downtown Cleveland ...

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

When You're In Downtown Cleveland ...

Unread postby swerb » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:34 am

... for a Cavs or Indians game, where do you generally find yourself beforehand to get a couple of beers and something to eat?

One of the next projects I have for this website is to put together a section of it dedicated to the bars and restaraunts downtown. Where readers can add their own thoughts and reviews on each of the establishments.

The longer term plan is to branch this out to all Greater Cleveland area bars and restaraunts, and also to do the same thing with the local golf courses.

Anyway, back to the original topic at hand. Where do you go to get your pregame on before Cavs and Indians games? And why?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby General » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:52 am

I used to go to "the Huron Deck" before, and then some establishment that frowned on excessive clothing for the female employees after.
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby GreatGoo » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:22 pm

Harry Buff
Boneyard
Thirsty Parrot (nice summer days only)
Winking Lizard
Panini's
Clevelander
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby sandlot33 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:05 am

Thirsty Parrot is always a great place to go before and after for Indians games, and yes than Chrisities...anyone been there lately, fully nude and drinks...WOW, way to easy to drop a couple hundy there though

Cooperstown is also a great place to go
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:52 am

Damn, the last time I did a bar stop before seeing a game me and my group went to Shooters, and then went to the Gund to watch the Lumberjacks.

Now if you want to know where to go before Aeros games... well, I guess I can't help you there either. I just don't get out enough (although I've heard the Diamond Grille is superb).
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby swerb » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:06 am

sandlot33 wrote:Thirsty Parrot is always a great place to go before and after for Indians games, and yes than Chrisities...anyone been there lately, fully nude and drinks...WOW, way to easy to drop a couple hundy there though

Alice Cooper JUST sold Cooperstown.

Now it's called "Local Heroes", and has all kinds of local memorabilia on the walls. Also honors local firefighters, policemen, etc on the walls with memorabilia.

Pretty cool actually.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Under(dogger) » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:07 pm

Swerb wrote:
sandlot33 wrote:Thirsty Parrot is always a great place to go before and after for Indians games, and yes than Chrisities...anyone been there lately, fully nude and drinks...WOW, way to easy to drop a couple hundy there though

Now it's called "Local Heroes", and has all kinds of local memorabilia on the walls. Also honors local firefighters, policemen, etc on the walls with memorabilia.

Pretty cool actually.

If I want to eat something more then a sandwich or something smaller cooperstown, or I suppose I should call it "Local Heroes", but normally, I park at Tower City, and eat in the food court. Always wanted to try Fat Fish Blue though, mainly for the history.

Winking Lizard is always a winner also
"Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."--General George Patton
That’s what they get for building a park on the ocean. -- Oil Can Boyd
Under(dogger)

Unread postby mswerb » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:13 pm

Slymans. HUGE corned beef sandwiches are the bomb.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby drum » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:29 pm

Swerb wrote:

Pretty cool actually.

no kidding?
I went there a few years ago with some friends of mine from High school after going through the Rock Hall.

I've seen local heroes on my way to the game and never realised it. I'll have to check that out!
Proud owner of a talking Tom Hamilton bobblehead
drum

Favorite Player: Joe Posnanski
Least Favorite Player: Miami fans

Unread postby Fixedgearrider » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:22 pm

Boneyard. It's an after work hang for me as well.
Fixedgearrider
Site Drunk

Unread postby BRlovestheTribe37 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:48 am

Local Heroes is great cause its right next to the park and you can sit at the bar or have a nice sit down meal. If you want something nicer, I recently tried Fat Fish Blue, it's a nice family place and the food is great.
BRlovestheTribe37

Unread postby tbone » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:36 am

Usually a tossup between Harry Buffalo, Boneyard, Lizard, Panini's, Clevelander, Heroes, or Parrot.

The hidden gem of all of those, however, is the upstairs of Harry Buffalo. Downstairs is usually absurdly crowded, but upstairs is very manageable. Great for people watching too if you're up against the windows.
I don't think I'm ever more "aware" than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer.
Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

tbone
Medium Rare

Favorite Player: myself
Least Favorite Player: that guy

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:07 am

tbone wrote:The hidden gem of all of those, however, is the upstairs of Harry Buffalo. Downstairs is usually absurdly crowded, but upstairs is very manageable. Great for people watching too if you're up against the windows.

Less crowded, but the atmosphere is crappy, IMO.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:50 am

As someone who works in the service industry downtown, I have something of an insider view of most of the places in the area.

One place that hasn't been mentioned is Flannery's at the NW corner of 4th and Prospect. Hands down, Flannery's has the best bar downtown with top shelf service. Joe, Stacy, Mike and company are some of the best barkeeps anywhere and I'll put them up against any other crew of barkeepers downtown. Flannery's is definitely worth a checkout for the denizens of TCF.

Another spot to check out if you just want to down a couple pops before or after the game is Moriarty's on East 6th at the end of Short Vincent. There's no food here, so if you are hungry you may want to reconsider, but they do allow carry out.

Alicia, Kelly and the crew are great folks and the place is cozy, out of the way and, for true sports geeks, game officials like the place for the aforementioned reasons. It's small, but Moriarty's does a great job with the space they have and they have a better than average beer and bottle selection. Stop in and have a pop or two before or after weeknight games (hours are usually M thru F with limited seasonal weekend hours).
Cleveland: Where the Tower is Terminal and the Lake is (e)Erie- Alex Bevan
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby OSU7NCs » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:28 am

We almost always go to the Hardrock Cafe'......that's where we park & then we take the tunnel up to the Jake!
Connecting via dial-up is kinda like the Internet version of being Amish, LMAO!

CLICK HERE: BUCKEYE NATION
OSU7NCs
Best Damn Bucks Fan

Unread postby swerb » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:50 am

Hoppy, agree on Flannery's. That's one of my favorite downtown spots. Good food, good service, and great selection of beers on tap.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby bowl » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:22 pm

Harbor Inn
bowl
Road Trip Guru

Favorite Player: Shin Soo Choo
Least Favorite Player: Derek Jeter

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:10 pm

Alicia, Kelly and the crew are great folks and the place is cozy, out of the way and, for true sports geeks, game officials like the place for the aforementioned reasons. It's small, but Moriarty's does a great job with the space they have and they have a better than average beer and bottle selection. Stop in and have a pop or two before or after weeknight games (hours are usually M thru F with limited seasonal weekend hours).

Call me crazy but this reads like a commercial script.

Nice.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:10 pm

Swerb wrote:Hoppy, agree on Flannery's. That's one of my favorite downtown spots. Good food, good service, and great selection of beers on tap.

Which was why I was a bit surprised when no one mentioned them. For the moment, Flannery's is the most consistently lively spot east of Public Square. Who knows whether that will continue to be the case after the Euclid corridor is completed, but Flannery's is the place to be right now and is a good spot for any event downtown.

FUDU wrote:Call me crazy but this reads like a commercial script.

FUDU, that's not what I was necessarily going for, but it was what it was.

I kinda had to do it like that so that people would understand that the hours are somewhat limited. Unless there is a Browns home game, the place is never open on Sundays and their are spotty hours on Saturdays during baseball season. It is mostly a M thru F bar. Alicia is the primary barkeep there and Kelly works Friday nights.

It is a good hang, though, and a good place if you want a good shot and beer joint without all the downtown swagger. If that's what you want out of a place, Moriarty's is a good place to go. Check it out!
Cleveland: Where the Tower is Terminal and the Lake is (e)Erie- Alex Bevan
buckeyehoppy

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry