Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Will the Jackets FINALLY make the playoffs?

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Will the Jackets FINALLY make the playoffs?

Unread postby Rally Squirl » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:09 pm

Will the jackets make the post season for the first time ever and remove the title as the only NHL team to never make the post season?

I find it hilarious that yet again an Ohio Pro Sports team is on the end of a failing story :P :-P :razz:

the Wild who came in the league the same year (the 2 most recent expansion teams, year 200) have made several playoff appearances including a conference finals visit in their 3rd year.

Rick Nash seems to be determined to get there this season as he is on a tear.
(yes I know......i spelled "squirrel" wrong :P)
Rally Squirl

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:33 pm

Yes they will and im not sure why you rip them for never making the playoffs they had the worst GM since the Browns came back. The Bluejackets are a threat in the playoffs with the offense they have and as anyone who follows hockey knows NHL playoffs is about having a hot goaltender and Leclaire could be a force in the playoffs. Give me the Jackets over the Cavs and Browns anyday.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:02 pm

They have a decent shot. They've got to start playing better on the road though. At 8-14-2 on the road, and not going to be a top 4 seed to get home ice in the first round, that might be their downfall. With 8 road games against only 5 home dates in February, that'll be a huge month for them. Three of those games are in San Jose, Detroit and Ottawa. With three games in one week against Detroit in March, they'll have to prove themselves.

The west is so cluttered every year, it'll be hard for them to hang on to a top 8 seed.

I think a lot of it hinges on what Howson does at the deadline. He has some movable pieces (Gilbert Brule is the #1 piece). My guess is that they'll go to Buffalo for a guy like Brian Campbell. He can had be had as a rental, since he wants a big offseason contract. I'm not sure they'd give Brule for him, but he answers some needs on the PP, where rookie Derrick Brasard is QBing, and as a mobile defenseman to counteract the Jan Hejdas and the Adam Footes.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:51 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:They have a decent shot. They've got to start playing better on the road though. At 8-14-2 on the road, and not going to be a top 4 seed to get home ice in the first round, that might be their downfall. With 8 road games against only 5 home dates in February, that'll be a huge month for them. Three of those games are in San Jose, Detroit and Ottawa. With three games in one week against Detroit in March, they'll have to prove themselves.

The west is so cluttered every year, it'll be hard for them to hang on to a top 8 seed.

I think a lot of it hinges on what Howson does at the deadline. He has some movable pieces (Gilbert Brule is the #1 piece). My guess is that they'll go to Buffalo for a guy like Brian Campbell. He can had be had as a rental, since he wants a big offseason contract. I'm not sure they'd give Brule for him, but he answers some needs on the PP, where rookie Derrick Brasard is QBing, and as a mobile defenseman to counteract the Jan Hejdas and the Adam Footes.

Im not sure about giving away Brule for a rental but if it helps us win then maybe. I think the best offseason move was Jiri Nvotony he has been outstanding. I really like the make-up of this team a good mix of youth and experience guys like Foote who would block a puck with his face to prevent a shot on goal. Zherdev has really stepped up when we first got him i thought he should have been a figure skater but now I want to lock him up with a multi-year extension. If Modin can give us anything at all and if can get Vborny going we are a team to fear in the playoffs. But like you said it all comes down to playing much better on the road im hoping the big win against Dallas will give them confidence. And I just love the "Energy Line" they may not be the best line in the NHL but goddamn I love watching them and they are tough matchup in the postseason.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:00 pm

I think that Brule is their most tradeable asset at this point. Brassard isn't going anywhere. Brule can bring back something of great value. I don't know if Brule will ever fit into Hitchcock's system. Zherdev has changed his game, and, as a result, has gotten a longer leash from Hitchcock when he gets too fancy.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Gilbert Brule. But if they have a chance to get rid of the stigma of being the only NHL team that has never made the playoffs, they need to take it.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:17 pm

If Brule can get us someone who isnt a rental then I have no problem doing it I know Toronto is going to be a seller at the TDL Mats Sundin would be nice hes old but he can still score but he fits in that rental catagorey because of his age 36 I believe. I want to get into the playoffs as bad as anyone I have been a season ticket holder since they came to Columbus and this city would go nuts for Playoff hockey and if trading Brule gets us there then so be it. Do you go to many games Tripods? Im in section 114 Row R. And yes For those about to rock we salute you. GO JACKETS!!!
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:11 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:If Brule can get us someone who isnt a rental then I have no problem doing it I know Toronto is going to be a seller at the TDL Mats Sundin would be nice hes old but he can still score but he fits in that rental catagorey because of his age 36 I believe. I want to get into the playoffs as bad as anyone I have been a season ticket holder since they came to Columbus and this city would go nuts for Playoff hockey and if trading Brule gets us there then so be it. Do you go to many games Tripods? Im in section 114 Row R. And yes For those about to rock we salute you. GO JACKETS!!!

Ew, Sundin. I've never liked Sundin. He puts up the stats, but he's not a good player and from what I've read, not a good teammate. He also has an NTC and may not accept a deal to Columbus.

Good for you supporting Columbus hockey. I've only gone to two games since they came into existence, but it was a great atmosphere.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:46 pm

Yeah I read up on Sundin today and he isnt a good fit but I would like to see another goal scorer because after Nash/Zherdev there is a big dropoff. Now that could change if Modin and Vyborny can get going.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Rally Squirl » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:06 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:If Brule can get us someone who isnt a rental then I have no problem doing it I know Toronto is going to be a seller at the TDL Mats Sundin would be nice hes old but he can still score but he fits in that rental catagorey because of his age 36 I believe. I want to get into the playoffs as bad as anyone I have been a season ticket holder since they came to Columbus and this city would go nuts for Playoff hockey and if trading Brule gets us there then so be it. Do you go to many games Tripods? Im in section 114 Row R. And yes For those about to rock we salute you. GO JACKETS!!!

Ew, Sundin. I've never liked Sundin. He puts up the stats, but he's not a good player and from what I've read, not a good teammate. He also has an NTC and may not accept a deal to Columbus.

Good for you supporting Columbus hockey. I've only gone to two games since they came into existence, but it was a great atmosphere.

PLEASE PLEASE tell me you are joking? The man is ahte ultimate committment to a team, he knows the leafs suck but refuses to take the easy way out. Hes just like Ray Bourque when he was in Boston, he ONLY left cuz he wanted a cup so bad and Boston had not shot, other then that he was fully committed.

Not a good teammate?!?!!? have you WATCHED him play? hes smiles and congratulates EVERY player on EVERY goal whether they are losing or winning, not matter what the score.

Hes the captain of Sweden so he must be doing somehting good.

find me one bit of evidence that anyhting you said in that post is close to being true

hes not a good player? hes more consistent then anyone in the NHL, hes not selfish and hes guaranteed 75+ point every year
(yes I know......i spelled "squirrel" wrong :P)
Rally Squirl

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:52 pm

Rally Squirl wrote:PLEASE PLEASE tell me you are joking? The man is ahte ultimate committment to a team, he knows the leafs suck but refuses to take the easy way out. Hes just like Ray Bourque when he was in Boston, he ONLY left cuz he wanted a cup so bad and Boston had not shot, other then that he was fully committed.

Find me another team in the NHL that will give Sundin the contract he is making. The Leafs have tried to deal Sundin for the past three years, but can't find a taker for his contract and get a decent return of proven prospects. Not to mention, he won't lift his NTC for the betterment of the team.

Not a good teammate?!?!!? have you WATCHED him play? hes smiles and congratulates EVERY player on EVERY goal whether they are losing or winning, not matter what the score.

Yes, I have watched him play. He's a cheap shot artist with his stick behind the play. Happen to read about how he shoved a linesman on January 13th, and got away with it because of the league's man-love for everything Toronto? He's a great player to Toronto fans and Canadians because he's been the face of that organization and the most tenured member.

Lots of goons and stiffs congratulate players. See Donald Brashear, Dale Purinton, Todd Bertuzzi, etc., etc. It's really not that uncommon.

Just a question, have you ever played hockey, competitive or otherwise?

hes not a good player? hes more consistent then anyone in the NHL, hes not selfish and hes guaranteed 75+ point every year

He's never been a good player in his own zone. As a centerman, he's supposed to act as a third defenseman. He's a very lethargic player in his own zone. Hence why Toronto is usually one of the most scored against teams and has never had much playoff success.

Hockey is not all about stats or celebrating your teammates' goals.

Sure, he's consistent. I would never call him the most consistent. Above him, I'd put Nicklas Lidstrom, Scott Niedermayer, Daniel Alfredsson, Vincent Lecavalier, Joe Thornton, Jarome Iginla, Olli Jokinen (the most underrated player in the game), and there's probably others I can't think of right now.

Look. Sundin's only played 83 playoff games in his career, not a single Stanley Cup Finals game. He has been unwilling to accept a trade for the betterment of a franchise that desperately needs his contract off the books.

He's a talented player, but I think that he would bog down Columbus, which is exactly what we were talking about. I guess I should have specifically said not a good player for Columbus. He would just become a Sergei Federov on Columbus and his contract has been a bitch for them.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:09 am

If we are giving up Brule we need to get a 30+ goal scorer MINIMUM. If he pans out like they project (which he may not) he will be a yearly All-Star. Its the Western Confrence if we get hot who knows what seed we could get. February 15th-March 4th will be the make or break portion of the season 5 game road trip with stops in Detriot, Ottawa, and St Louis. Then we come back home for San Jose then back on the road out west for Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary. Thats 9 games we could go 7-2 or 2-7 neither would surprise me.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:18 pm

Any way anyone slices it, the Jackets need some forward help.

The blue line and the GK are fine and if Leclaire manages to get hot at the end of the season, that'll be penance for a lot of sins.

I'll have my midseason review out in a day or two and will be looking at the NHL stretch run. I'll give you just a general observation: there would be no question that the Jackets would be in the thick of the playoff hunt in the East and they would be one of the final eight.

The West is a different and much more competitive animal that the East, so if the Jackets can qualify for the playoffs out of the West they will have earned it and Hitch should be odds-on favorite for COTY.

For me, I like the Jackets chances if the FO can get Nash and Zherdev some help. St. Louis should be definitely formidable down the stretch and the rest of the conference is uber competitive. I'd like to see more out of Glencross and Fritsche. At any rate, it'll be young players like that who will need to step up if the Jackets are to see the playoffs.
Cleveland: Where the Tower is Terminal and the Lake is (e)Erie- Alex Bevan
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:17 pm

The forward that interest me the most and who might be trade bait would be Marian Hossa. I doubt Atlanta would trade Hossa for Brule straight up they are going to want a draft pick and probably Hainsey or Kris Russell (No to both). Hossa is 29 he has 45 points in 49 games (22g 23a) and is a beast on the power play. The future is bright for the Blue Jackets Jakub Voracek is going to be a monster in a couple years.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:35 pm

I would give Atlanta Brule and Hainsey for Hossa, if you planned on taking a big run at Brian Campbell in free agency.

I don't think they need a huge impact move, in all honesty. They need a depth move. Call me crazy, but they need it on defense. I don't like the idea of Foote and Hedja playing a lot of minutes against Detroit, San Jose, or the like.

Another name that would fit good in Columbus would be Bobby Holik. He's a good faceoff guy and would help to move Chimera to wing, where he won't have as many responsibilities. Difference between him and Sundin is that he'd be a better fit with the Jackets.

Marty Reasoner is the best forward addition I see out of the end of season UFAs that can be had cheap. He could probably come for a 3rd rounder.

Jassen Cullimore from Florida would be a great depth move on the blue line. I don't know who would sit, but he'd help. He brings a great physical game and isn't a bad cap hit.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:17 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:I would give Atlanta Brule and Hainsey for Hossa, if you planned on taking a big run at Brian Campbell in free agency.

I don't think they need a huge impact move, in all honesty. They need a depth move. Call me crazy, but they need it on defense. I don't like the idea of Foote and Hedja playing a lot of minutes against Detroit, San Jose, or the like.

Another name that would fit good in Columbus would be Bobby Holik. He's a good faceoff guy and would help to move Chimera to wing, where he won't have as many responsibilities. Difference between him and Sundin is that he'd be a better fit with the Jackets.

Marty Reasoner is the best forward addition I see out of the end of season UFAs that can be had cheap. He could probably come for a 3rd rounder.

Jassen Cullimore from Florida would be a great depth move on the blue line. I don't know who would sit, but he'd help. He brings a great physical game and isn't a bad cap hit.

Make that two people who like Hainsey and Brule for Hossa. What is Hossa's contract status? If he has this year and next at least, then I make the deal.

Campbell is an awesome player, but I would imagine that Buffalo will make the hardest play to re-sign him seeing that they have lost Briere, Drury and Dumont through FA in the last two off-seasons. If the Jackets want him, the price might be high.

BTW, isn't Foote a FA this off-season. If so, so much the better for the Jackets. For what they have paid for him, he hasn't represented great value.
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:35 pm

What you mean you dont like the idea of lumbering defensemen going agaisnt Lindstrom, Zetteberg, and Datsyuk? What could go wrong with that?

In a related note there has been some rumblings in the Columbus Dispatch (Bob Hunter in particular) about if Sergi comes back from his concussion moving him to the defense. To me that looks like a desperation move and im not in favor of it unless its just crazy enough to work but so far I have to say the Sergi experiment has been a failure. I know he had a impact on Zherdev but so has Ken Hitchcock. I like Adam Foote I really do he is a class veteran whos experience will be big in the postseason but like you said he kills us sometimes. He is not mobile and thats why Russell has been effective. Im not opposed to giving up Hainsey and Brule aslong as you get equal value for them the thing is we dont know Brule's vaule. You give up a potential superstar and a solid young defenseman you need to get maximum value in return.

Hossa is singed thru next year. I just read a Atlanta Journal Constitution article where Thrashers GM Waddel both denied he was on the trade block and at the same time said he was........IF hes doesnt sign an extension.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:02 pm

buckeyehoppy wrote:Make that two people who like Hainsey and Brule for Hossa. What is Hossa's contract status? If he has this year and next at least, then I make the deal.

Hossa is a UFA at season's end. Waddell has reportedly offered 5 yr 35 mil for Hossa.

Campbell is an awesome player, but I would imagine that Buffalo will make the hardest play to re-sign him seeing that they have lost Briere, Drury and Dumont through FA in the last two off-seasons. If the Jackets want him, the price might be high.

Campbell's been terrible for the past two months. Buffalo fans are getting very upset with his play and he wants 6 per from the front office. If they didn't pay Drury or Briere, I doubt they pay Campbell with guys like Sekera, Card, and Funk waiting in the wings. They aren't as offensively gifted, but cheaper options and much better defensively.

BTW, isn't Foote a FA this off-season. If so, so much the better for the Jackets. For what they have paid for him, he hasn't represented great value.

Foote and Hedja are both UFA.

CD, Hejda and Foote can't hang with those speedsters in a seven-game series. I don't really feel comfortable with Tollefson or Russell either. I think Cullimore answers a huge need and has playoff experience.

Jason Smith fits that bill too.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:18 pm

CD, Hejda and Foote can't hang with those speedsters in a seven-game series. I don't really feel comfortable with Tollefson or Russell either. I think Cullimore answers a huge need and has playoff experience.

Foote and Hejda cant hang with them in regualr season nevermind the postseason. What would you give up for Cullimore would they take Brule straight up?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:27 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:What would you give up for Cullimore would they take Brule straight up?

Cullimore's worth a pick. Probably a 3rd/4th. Same with Reasoner, a guy I mentioned earlier. Jason Smith's probably in the same group. Cullimore's of the same mold of those other guys, but he's more seasoned than a kid like Russell.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:37 pm

buckeyehoppy wrote:Make that two people who like Hainsey and Brule for Hossa. What is Hossa's contract status? If he has this year and next at least, then I make the deal.

Skating Tripods wrote:Hossa is a UFA at season's end. Waddell has reportedly offered 5 yr 35 mil for Hossa.

I'd think he was worth it. If the Jackets were interested in getting him, I'd say a sign and trade would be in order. That way, you don't lose the value.

buckeyehoppy wrote:Campbell is an awesome player, but I would imagine that Buffalo will make the hardest play to re-sign him seeing that they have lost Briere, Drury and Dumont through FA in the last two off-seasons. If the Jackets want him, the price might be high.

Skating Tripods wrote:Campbell's been terrible for the past two months. Buffalo fans are getting very upset with his play and he wants 6 per from the front office. If they didn't pay Drury or Briere, I doubt they pay Campbell with guys like Sekera, Card, and Funk waiting in the wings. They aren't as offensively gifted, but cheaper options and much better defensively.

Of course, I also said from the outset that Buffalo would probably jell much more in the second half and get into the playoffs with a late season push. If they were to make it, that's exactly what would have to happen. That only happens if Campbell is on his game. Perhaps I'm not as down on him as you are, but he is a player who is better with better talent surrounding him. That isn't the case this year in Buffalo.

buckeyehoppy wrote:BTW, isn't Foote a FA this off-season. If so, so much the better for the Jackets. For what they have paid for him, he hasn't represented great value.

Skating Tripods wrote:Foote and Hedja are both UFA.

Jason Smith fits that bill too.

Foote can't. Hejda can, but does not and that is why he probably won't be around next year.

I'd wonder whether Florida would be interested in hearing an offer for Cullimore? If the Panthers think they could win the SE Division (I don't think it'll happen, but that division genuinely sucks, so anything can happen), then maybe not. He'd be good to get, but there might be a line near him if he is on the block. I can think of a few teams that could use him
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:46 pm

buckeyehoppy wrote:I'd think he was worth it. If the Jackets were interested in getting him, I'd say a sign and trade would be in order. That way, you don't lose the value.

After Waddell mortgaged the farm to try and sneak into the playoffs last year, if he can sign Hossa, he'll be keeping him.

buckeyehoppy wrote:Of course, I also said from the outset that Buffalo would probably jell much more in the second half and get into the playoffs with a late season push. If they were to make it, that's exactly what would have to happen. That only happens if Campbell is on his game. Perhaps I'm not as down on him as you are, but he is a player who is better with better talent surrounding him. That isn't the case this year in Buffalo.

Buffalo still has lots of raw talent. They just have no playmakers this year.

On Campbell, Sabres fans on another board I frequent are pretty upset with Campbell. He's been terrible in his own zone for a few months now. The Sabres may try to be buyers and get Olli Jokinen and/or Vinny Prospal there, with hopes of re-signing them after the season to replace Drury and Briere. If that's the case, Campbell will get signed and not move.

buckeyehoppy wrote:I'd wonder whether Florida would be interested in hearing an offer for Cullimore? If the Panthers think they could win the SE Division (I don't think it'll happen, but that division genuinely sucks, so anything can happen), then maybe not. He'd be good to get, but there might be a line near him if he is on the block. I can think of a few teams that could use him

He missed all of October with an injury and is a +8 since. That sure is a wide open division. Realistically, that's their only chance to get in. They're 5 points behind New York and 12th overall. Cullimore's averaging 16:02 ATOI, but he's one of 9 guys with at least 12 mins ATOI. The fact that Mike Van Ryn is on IR probably hurts the chances of getting Cullimore, but with 9 serviceable NHL defensemen, they might move him for the right offer.

I'm reading now that they are trying to move Branislav Mezei. He's not really an upgrade over anything that Columbus has currently. Radek Dvorak, on the other hand, might be a good 2nd line winger to complement Fritsche or Chimera.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:48 pm

At this point, we now know that the answer to the burning question is NO.

It's too bad. The Blue Jackets are a good team with some good young talent.

But the bloom is now off the rose in Cowtown. When Hockey Night In Canada interviewed Nash earlier in the season, Nash was rather matter of fact in saying that the time to start winning has arrived. The newness and the novelty of the team has worn off and the locals want to start seeing wins.

Three things need to happen in the off-season to get the Jackets on to a playoff track for a while:

1) Make a long-term commitment to Nash. This will stabilize the team and make it possible to attract players of similar ability.

2) Get a legitimate first line center to pair off with Nash. They've never had one and they'll be going nowhere special without one.

3) Get a first line, defense-minded blue liner who can effectively forecheck and clear the zone. The guys the have now are young, but directionless. A veteran blue-liner who can do the above things would be priceless.

Frankly, the Jackets aren't that far off. But McConnell needs to start spending some money on the right players to round out what promises to be a good young nucleus. To be competitive in the West, he'll have to do it.
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:08 pm

They gave it a valiant run. I would really like to see them trade Brule, their 1st this year, and something else at the draft for Jokinen. I think that a bona fide center between Nash and Zherdev would complement the whole team with the other forward depth they have from guys like Malhotra, Chimera, and Boll.

On defense, they could really do themselves well going out and getting the guys I mentioned at the deadline. I think Cullimore would be a great veteran replacement for Foote.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:31 am

Skating Tripods wrote:They gave it a valiant run. I would really like to see them trade Brule, their 1st this year, and something else at the draft for Jokinen. I think that a bona fide center between Nash and Zherdev would complement the whole team with the other forward depth they have from guys like Malhotra, Chimera, and Boll.

On defense, they could really do themselves well going out and getting the guys I mentioned at the deadline. I think Cullimore would be a great veteran replacement for Foote.

I would freaking kill to have Jokinen in a Blue Jackets uniform. You are right, he would be perfect on that line. The Jackets have some promising young talent, but now is the time to go out and get Nash some help. If they can add a player or 2 on the blue line and another forward, next season could be interesting.
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:31 pm

buckeyehoppy wrote:At this point, we now know that the answer to the burning question is NO.

It's too bad. The Blue Jackets are a good team with some good young talent.

But the bloom is now off the rose in Cowtown. When Hockey Night In Canada interviewed Nash earlier in the season, Nash was rather matter of fact in saying that the time to start winning has arrived. The newness and the novelty of the team has worn off and the locals want to start seeing wins.

Three things need to happen in the off-season to get the Jackets on to a playoff track for a while:

1) Make a long-term commitment to Nash. This will stabilize the team and make it possible to attract players of similar ability.

2) Get a legitimate first line center to pair off with Nash. They've never had one and they'll be going nowhere special without one.

3) Get a first line, defense-minded blue liner who can effectively forecheck and clear the zone. The guys the have now are young, but directionless. A veteran blue-liner who can do the above things would be priceless.

Frankly, the Jackets aren't that far off. But McConnell needs to start spending some money on the right players to round out what promises to be a good young nucleus. To be competitive in the West, he'll have to do it.

Reminds me of the Lightning, though they got into the playoffs fairly early on but followed up that excitement with several years of suck as they then began to build around a young core.

Good things will happen for the Blue Jackets, though sometimes the schedule for success can be surprising.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Return to The Neutral Zone