Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Why no STO Bluejackets coverage?

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Why no STO Bluejackets coverage?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:05 pm

Its a mystery to me why they dont cover them there has to be alot of Hockey fans in NE Ohio. This team is going to make the playoffs and can do some serious damage. Now back to Brian Anderson's "Back to the majors" (yeah right what a joke eh?) atleast i wont have to listen to him screw up Indians games with Underwood anymore. Nash is an allstar Zherdev should be there and so should Leclaire. STO covers Notre Dame and West Virgina sports but they dont cover the Bluejackets that makes alot of sense.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby TimL2009 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:10 pm

One Big reason-Fox Sports Ohio. They are not going to want to go out of their way to help a direct competitor with coverage of the Jackets, which is exclusive to FSN Ohio..The only way they will get any coverage on STO is for STO to start a nightly half-hour sports report, which I still think they should do at some point..
TimL2009

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:44 pm

Wow. The Brian Anderson hatred is staggering. I really liked what he brought to the booth. I thought he had some great insight.

Anyway, Tim is right. FSN has pretty much all-exclusive rights to covver the Jackets. If STO wants to get in on hockey, they'll try grabbing some of the CCHA rights. Otherwise, showing John Carroll hockey games isn't going to enhance interest.

STO covers what they can. Since they were so late getting in to the market, most of the exclusivity rights for things like the MAC, NHL, and others are already covered. Sure they have shows with Jim Christian, but they have no television rights to the games.

Eventually, however, I think FSN will start to lag behind. Once their partnership with the Cavs is done, Liberatore will be all over trying to get them on STO, even if Lebron leaves. The MAC extension that was just recently signed goes through 2010 I believe.

If I'm running STO, I try to take the "Game of the Week" broadcast away from Time Warner's local channel. It's cheap to produce and high school sports, other than football which has always been big, are really starting to take off in this area.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby TimL2009 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Skating Tripods wrote: If STO wants to get in on hockey, they'll try grabbing some of the CCHA rights. Otherwise, showing John Carroll hockey games isn't going to enhance interest.

Speaking of CCHA Hockey:
I just got this as part of a STO Schedule update e-mail:

FRI 1/25

7:30pm CCHA Hockey: Notre Dame vs. Ohio State LIVE - Watch CCHA Hockey as the Notre Dame Fighting Irish take the ice against the OSU Buckeyes

So, Skating Tripods, They must have heard you!..LOL
TimL2009

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:16 pm

I would like to see a weekly segment added to All Bets are Off dealing with the Bluejackets. Bruce cant get in trouble talking Bluejackets hockey can he? Im very glad to see OSU hockey get some airtime. Or STO could do a weekly "Ohio Hockey Report" or somthing along those lines without stepping on FSN's toes. FSN does a great job with the Bluejackets I love Jeff Rimmer and Danny Gare.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Re: Why no STO Bluejackets coverage?

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:07 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Its a mystery to me why they dont cover them there has to be alot of Hockey fans in NE Ohio. This team is going to make the playoffs and can do some serious damage. Now back to Brian Anderson's "Back to the majors" (yeah right what a joke eh?) atleast i wont have to listen to him screw up Indians games with Underwood anymore. Nash is an allstar Zherdev should be there and so should Leclaire. STO covers Notre Dame and West Virgina sports but they dont cover the Bluejackets that makes alot of sense.

You can apply the same logic to the Cavs. STO has no coverage, other than All Bets are Off, etc of the Cavs. I imagine FSN has exclusive rights.
mikebrownz26

Favorite Player: Phil Dawson
Least Favorite Player: Scott Stewart

Re: Why no STO Bluejackets coverage?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:33 pm

mikebrownz26 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Its a mystery to me why they dont cover them there has to be alot of Hockey fans in NE Ohio. This team is going to make the playoffs and can do some serious damage. Now back to Brian Anderson's "Back to the majors" (yeah right what a joke eh?) atleast i wont have to listen to him screw up Indians games with Underwood anymore. Nash is an allstar Zherdev should be there and so should Leclaire. STO covers Notre Dame and West Virgina sports but they dont cover the Bluejackets that makes alot of sense.

You can apply the same logic to the Cavs. STO has no coverage, other than All Bets are Off, etc of the Cavs. I imagine FSN has exclusive rights.

Great point I never thought of that.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Return to The Neutral Zone