Text Size

The Rumble Room

Roy Jones Jr wins

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Roy Jones Jr wins

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 am

I just watched him dismantle Trinidad.
He called out everyone, I love this guy.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:15 am

He'll get dismantled if he tries to move down to 168 and fight Calzaghe or Kessler.

Made a career fighting at a weight no one wanted to be at. Dodged every big fight. Ran his mouth the whole time.

I'd love to see a real fighter put Roy out of his misery, but he won't fight any real fighters.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:25 am

Dodged every big fight? Like who?
Hopkins who wanted 70/30 on the money when Roy at the top of mountain?
Why would he fight Kessler now?
With his speed that is still there, he can posibly beat Calzaghe who is only interested in fighting old guys, so why not?

Who has Calzaghe ever beat? Anyone comparable to guys Roy beat?
I don't think so.

I understand when people don't like certain fighters. But to say he never fought anyone and dodged people is just flat out stupid.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:59 pm

Calzaghe would tear him apart at the seams. Kessler is three times the fighter any of those nobodies Jones fought over his career. Lacy was a big fight at the time as well. A ballsy fight. Hopkins, regardless of what you think of him, is considered a top 5-6 pound for pound fighter by just about every national boxing writer. And Ring Magazine.

Jones spent his whole career fighting at a weight class no one fights at so he could feed his ego. And through his entire career he's been blaming big fights not happening on others guys money demands. Get the fights done.

Finally, he moves up to heavy to fight Ruiz, a joke of a fighter. So he could say he won a heavyweight belt. He finally moves to a real weight class, and takes one fight against a guy most middleweights could beat up.

Here it is:

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hu ... &cat=boxer

Nobody. 20 years of fighting nobodies. With all kinds of great fighters 7 and 15 pounds below him at 168 and 160. Shit, he just fought at 170 last night. Again, against a washed up bum he knew he could beat.

Beat Calzaghe? Jones lost three straight fights to bums. Tarver, Johnson, Tarver. He beats a guy that hasn't fought in four years and now he can beat Calzaghe?

I'd love to lighten your pockets if that fight ever happened, but you and I both know Jones would never fight Calzaghe.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:56 pm

You've seen Kessler fight one time , Calzaghe maybe 3 times?
That's what makes me laugh the most.
A ballsy fight with Lacy? Why, because he was an US Olympian?
He really beat nobody before that fight. Both guys.

James Toney was a big favorite when Roy shut him out in their fight. Did you forget that fact?

Did Roy duck some good fights? Probably.
Did he have the right to demand a shit load of money? Of course he did.
Tarver was considered a top flight fighter at the time of their fights. If you argue that, then you really are an idiot.

Calzaghe will beat Hopkins and then ride off into the sunset.

Who did Roy duck out of all those so called great fighters? Hopkins and who?
Just curious.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:45 pm

Jones ducked every fight. For 20 years. He fought no one. You really want me to name all the good fighters at 168 from 1993-2006? The fact you mention James Toney as Roy's best fight makes my argument for me.

Lacy was a big fight for Calzaghe at the time. You were his biggest proponent, you should remember. Now, in hindsight, Calzaghe dismantled him, so its no longer a big fight?

Maybe Roy can dig up Vargas for his next fight.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:43 pm

On paper Lacy was a big fight and I'm still a big fan of his.
But he's an average fighter as best.
You can't name a fight that should have been made with Roy or you would have. That's what makes me chuckle.

You still haven't admitted you have seen Kessler one time and Calzaghe maybe 3 times. One of those was against a rock solid Manfredo Jr.
But they would dismantle RJJ?
Give me a break.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:28 pm

I've seen Calzaghes last four fights. How many of his fights do you want me to watch? Thats not enough to come to the no brainer assumption that he would beat Jones? Who is 39 and lost three straight fights to Tarver, Glen Johnson, and Tarver?

You want me to name fights Roy ducked. What Im trying to tell you is he ducked every fighter of worth at 168 for 15 god damn years. If you keep begging, I'll put together a scroll of fighters he ducked.

He spent a career fighting at 175, a weight class filled with chumps. Always talking about going down to middle or super middle, but it was just that. All talk.

Big mouth. No balls. Will only take fights he knows he can't get hurt in.

FYI, he's be a big underdog in Vegas to Calzaghe. And Kessler. Even with all that square money coming in on him.

Again, its a shame we can't see this argument settled in the ring. Your boy won't ever man up and take a real fight.

Nice win over Tito last night. Who's next? Roberto Duran?

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:40 pm

You saw the Bika fight? Where?

Underdog vs Kessler in Vegas? You are crazy, he's never fought in the US and never will and there's a reason for that.
And to correct you, most of his fight were not at 175. Check for your self smart guy.

You forgot he beat Hopkins right? I thought so.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:42 pm

They could fight in Roy Jones basement and he'd be an underdog to Kessler.

Again, it's stupid to even talk about this. You know and I know that Roy Jones won't fight him.

Not counting the Ruiz mockery, Roy's last fight not at light heavyweight was in 1996. His last 21 fights, one at heavyweight, last night at the 170 catch weight, and the other 19 ... ALL at light heavy.

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hu ... &cat=boxer

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:56 pm

Your words:
He spent a career fighting at 175
Less than half of his fights were at that weight.
Not that it matters, just making a point.

Return to The Rumble Room