Text Size

The Rumble Room

Vargas vs Mosely - Feb 25

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Vargas vs Mosely - Feb 25

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:34 pm

Would have loved to have seen this fight three years ago, will be interesting to see how this one plays out now as both look to ressurect their career.

Winner of this one gets right back into the mix for a monster payday.

Interesting to hear on Saturdays telecast that Vargas was reportedly over 200 lbs not too long ago, hustling hard to get to 154.

Will be be too strong and powerful for Shane, or too slow for the quicker Shane who will be comfy at that weight ... regardless, it will be interesting to see what Vargas weighs on fight night.

Vargas said to be getting back to his roots as a boxer/puncher. Intriguing fight here. Both have seen their best days likely pass, but both are still young enough to be very viable at 154 for some years to come.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby The Ko King » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:57 pm

The winner gets another shot at Delahoya, if he gets by Mayorga in May, which is no given. I don't think Mosely has been the same since Forrest beat him down twice, I like Vargas by knockout in this one.
The Ko King
Boxing Guru

Unread postby DCDAWG » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:52 am

Swerb,

Your right this would have been a helluva fight 3 or 4 years ago. I think Sugar Shane career is over, and if Vargas doesn't win the fight then I think his career is over!!! I'm putting my Money on Vargas in 8
Cleveland-The best location in the Nation!!!!
DCDAWG

Unread postby Guest » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:05 am

These are 2 of my favorite fighters. I think this is going to be a classic.
Shane's career is far from over. Vargas has balls of steel.
Shane might be too quick for Fernando. On the other hand, El Feroz might be too powerful for Sugar.
Vargas will need to fight his old brawling style, not his new so called defensive fighting to win here. I look for it turn into a street fight from about the 4th round on.
I am still undecided on the winner. I think it will be a fight of the year canidate.
I am looking foward to the fireworks.

Boxing is Dead

Unread postby jdrake10 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:36 pm

Boxing is dead. I used to love it but the idiots in the soprt, and the bigger idiots that run it, have driven it to be unwatchable. UFC is on the rise. It is fresh, it is real, and not corrupt (yet).
jdrake10

Unread postby Guest » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:43 pm

jdrake:
Boxing is great if you take away the heavyweight division. You must not be watching the right fights. There have more big fights in the last 2 or 3 years than ever before.

As far as the UFC goes:
In my mind it is the best sport to watch. They are the baddest mofo's around. You have to have a few loose screws to do what they do. I have been watching since UFC 1 when it was tournament style. UFC has been on the rise for over 5 years at least, it is just now going mainstream due to the reality show.I plan on going to a live UFC event this year. I have been to King of the Cage and am going to Columbus in March to see Team Hammerhead(Marc Coleman's camp) vs Team Gracie.
It is unreal live.

Unread postby jdrake10 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:00 pm

To be honest, the last boxing match I saw was Lewis/Tyson. So I admit I no longer know the sport, because I know longer care to know it. I just started watching UFC thanks to Spike TV. Instantly hooked.
I was in Vegas 3 weeks ago and happened to make it to Mandalay Bay. That is where the most recent UFC even was where Liddell beat Couture in part 3 of their trilogy. The cost for live tickets was in the same stratosphere as Boxing tickets. I put some cash on Couture since he had nice odds which did not work out so well. I may pony up for pay-per-view when Matt Hughes fights Royce Gracie. I can't see how Gracie can beat him but he is a legend and worth watching.
jdrake10

Unread postby Guest » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:35 pm

UFC pay-per-views are worth every penny.
You usually will get to see 7 or 8 fights.............and a good amount of blood.
The UFC is HUGE right now and I know tickets are up there in price, but you only live once right?

Tune into the Vargas/Mosley fight and you'll be on your way back into boxing.
Also on March 4th, check out Jeff Lacy on Showtime, he is the best young fighter in the sport. I will have to TIVO that seeing it is the same night as the UFC pay-per-view.
UFC does come first in my book, hands down, and I love boxing.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:27 am

I thought this was a pretty entertaining fight. Both guys still have a little left in the tank. IMO, Mosely looked better than I've seen him look in a long time.

When Merchant asked Shane who was next, he said Floyd ... but you could just tell by the inflections in his voice that he knows Mayweather would tear him into 100 pieces. I also thought it was interesting Shane didn't appear hungry to get back in the ring, saying he "just wanted to take it easy at home for a little while".

And Vargas's eye ... oh my god.

I never thought I'd see anything worse than Rahman's eye 2-3 years back.

To me Vargas looked out of sorts at that weight. I like watching Fernando fight. I hope he doesn't hang em up.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:12 pm

For a guy fighting with 2 heads Vargas did a great job.
He was still throwing and in the fight.
He should consider moving up in weight and fighting with only one head next time.
My question is:
How long until that swelling goes away?
That was hurtful to see.

Return to The Rumble Room