Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

The Forum Has Fallen, and it can't get up.

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

The Forum Has Fallen, and it can't get up.

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:17 am

'nuff said.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: The Forum Has Fallen, and it can't get up.

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:47 am

Well, at least I was able to read your post.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Corey KKKKKluber
Least Favorite Player: Domestic Violence

Unread postby ASPDawgpound12 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:03 pm

It's a start. What's been going on around here?
ASPDawgpound12

Favorite Player: Tyrone Hill
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:35 pm

The front page is going to be shut down. TCF will no longer carry article content. The forums are supposed to stay open and theclevelandfan.com is eventually going to direct right to the forums. The change that has been mentioned here about servers is likely downgrading to a smaller one to drop the hosting costs because less bandwidth will be required without content and just having a message board. It seems that there have been some bugs associated with that change.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:10 pm

Huh??? ... Wha??? There's life! I see human life!...
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:41 pm

No articles heh? That's a drag. I guess I should've have clicked on those "Brides from Vietnam" banner ads after all.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby 1Perry » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:02 pm

skatingtripods wrote:The front page is going to be shut down. TCF will no longer carry article content. The forums are supposed to stay open and theclevelandfan.com is eventually going to direct right to the forums. The change that has been mentioned here about servers is likely downgrading to a smaller one to drop the hosting costs because less bandwidth will be required without content and just having a message board. It seems that there have been some bugs associated with that change.

I enjoy the articles. Now if it's a case where no one wants to take the time, understood, but many would be willing to kick in a few bucks. I do for other sites I frequent regularly.

Just saying...
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Once the contract with STO was up last March, the writing was on the wall (no pun intended). Without the incentive of money, the article supply really started dwindling over the summertime. On top of the hosting costs, Rich was paying Brian and I on a monthly basis to check the articles for errors, format them, keep things as fresh as we could on the front page, and tweet out the links. But it simply got to the point where the site wasn't generating enough traffic to offset the cost. But more than that, people just stopped writing. We'd go days without an article.

I was guilty of it myself. Prior to the end of the STO contract, I was writing between 25-30 articles a month to keep content fresh. I got burned out. I just recently started writing heavily again for a sports betting website and I'm writing 2500-word previews on every MLB team with a pick on their preseason win total prop bet.

Hopefully the forum issues get rectified soon so we can keep some part of what we used to have here.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby 1Perry » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:38 pm

FWIW I enjoyed your articles. I understand getting burned out.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:35 pm

1Perry wrote:FWIW I enjoyed your articles. I understand getting burned out.

I appreciate hearing that. I miss writing them. It's been a really, really long winter.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Indyan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:00 am

skatingtripods wrote:The front page is going to be shut down. TCF will no longer carry article content. The forums are supposed to stay open and theclevelandfan.com is eventually going to direct right to the forums. The change that has been mentioned here about servers is likely downgrading to a smaller one to drop the hosting costs because less bandwidth will be required without content and just having a message board. It seems that there have been some bugs associated with that change.

I'm sorry to hear that. Admittedly, this site was more "The Indians Fan" than full on Cleveland fan so I didn't make full use of it. But I live in a vapid wasteland where many people wouldn't recognize a baseball if it came crashing through their windshield on their way to go see [strikethrough] Peyton Manning[/strikethrough] Andrew Luck draw offside penalties and whine for a PI call every time a guy in blue is looked at in a halfway menacing manner. We also know how much the national media dotes on the Tribe. This site became an oasis in the midst of all of that, and fountain of information for my favorite team. Thanks for all the good years, and I'll keep lurking while the lights stay on.
Indyan

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:07 am

Me too. I don't post as often as I'd like--two small children (one of them with special needs) take up a great deal of my time and attention. But I'll keep hanging around here, reading everyday and commenting when I can. I would argue that the real beauty and appeal of this site anyway is not the articles and content, but the passion, knowledge, and camaraderie exhibited on these boards. I see no reason whatsoever that couldn't continue.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:01 pm

I been coming here for so long for the articles , I'm kind of blind to what else is out there as far as good Cleveland sports sites go. Any recommendations on where I can start heading aside from the bloody PD.

Only other two places I frequent on a regular basis is 11 Warriors for my tOSU news, and Cleveland Frowns.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:07 pm

Govbarney wrote:I been coming here for so long for the articles , I'm kind of blind to what else is out there as far as good Cleveland sports sites go. Any recommendations on where I can start heading aside from the bloody PD.

Only other two places I frequent on a regular basis is 11 Warriors for my tOSU news, and Cleveland Frowns.

Let me know when you find it. Because I haven't. Not sure what others think of WFNY, but I can't read that either.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:08 pm

Yeah, I'm the same. This has been my one-stop shop for Cleveland sports info for a while now. 11W, The O-Zone, and Buckeye Battle Cry are pretty good for OSU stuff, and Tony Lastoria's site is great for minor league happenings, but this site crossed all boundaries (including my casual Cavs fandom). The front page content will be hard to replace in one go, and the boards are some of the more intelligent and friendly ones that I've seen.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:19 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Govbarney wrote:I been coming here for so long for the articles , I'm kind of blind to what else is out there as far as good Cleveland sports sites go. Any recommendations on where I can start heading aside from the bloody PD.

Let me know when you find it. Because I haven't. Not sure what others think of WFNY, but I can't read that either.

I like Jacob Rosen's stuff at WFNY, but that's the numbers geek in me. Jason Lukehart is good at Let's Go Tribe on SB Nation. Stephanie Liscio is good at It's Pronounced Lajaway on the ESPN Sweet Spot network. I get most of my Indians coverage when Fangraphs, B-Pro, or Beyond the Box Score writes about something and the Indians or a specific player are/is mentioned.

As for Browns, Cavs, Buckeyes, I don't pay much attention to writing about them. Though Eleven Warriors clearly the best Buckeyes coverage.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:55 pm

I like Jon at WFNY. That's about it. The comments below their articles are the new cleve.com. It's awful.

Still read everything Castro writes. Pretty much everything Bastian writes. Love the Indians related stuff on baseball prospectus, but that requires a subscription.

I used to read the DiaTribe, but stopped when Pauly quit writing.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:01 pm

gotribe31 wrote:

That place went straight to hell once Pauly stopped and the other guy started.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:10 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Still read everything Castro writes. Pretty much everything Bastian writes. Love the Indians related stuff on baseball prospectus, but that requires a subscription.

Stop being cheap. Even I bought a B-Pro subscription and I don't have a government job and salary that allows me to daydrink in Europe on a yearly basis on their dime.

I also have a Fangraphs+ membership, which is a phenomenal value at $5.99 for a year and an absolute must-have for anybody who plays fantasy baseball.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:00 pm

It's a bummer to hear about the frontpage. Big shout-outs to Swerb, Peeker, Adam and anyone else who made this place go for all these years. I stumbled upon the website in early 2008 while living in Illinois because I was thirsting for Cleveland sports coverage. I've been back in Northeast Ohio since late 2008 and still frequent the site even though I can get local sports coverage via local news, talk radio, PD, etc.

I'll still frequent the boards and hope that maybe the frontpage is resurrected one day. Gotta respect the fact that so much time was put into the site even with the authors/designers' other full-time jobs and family obligations. Perfectly understandable that it can't be what it once was. :cheers:
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:12 pm

peeker643 wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:

That place went straight to hell once Pauly stopped and the other guy started.

I couldn't possibly agree more. Still better than IBI at least.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby ASPDawgpound12 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:14 pm

Not a big poster, but love reading the rants and arguments that are had throughout this place. There's no doubt that the boards will continue on - there are a lot of people who couldn't go on without them....

That being said - i hope people still want to pay $30 a phase to get kicked in the balls when _instert crappy closer here_ gives up a walkoff homer to the likes of the great Giambino. I don't know what my baseball season would be without that wonderful game of ours.
ASPDawgpound12

Favorite Player: Tyrone Hill
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:36 pm

The above contains many symptoms as to the demise of the front page, and lack of forum paricipation.

The disease is having multiple decades of professional sports teams that aren't worth a shit.

Christ, in this century we've had about 40 professional seasons between the 3 teams. Outside of Lebron, and an occasional rise above slight mediocrity from the Tribe, there's been jack shit.

You can only write about so many drafts or bargain pick-ups - and it's even harder nowadays to find people that give much of a damn.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby 1Perry » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:29 pm

I can see it already.....Masterson wins the Cy Young and has a nice career in NY.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:29 pm

bookelly wrote: I guess I should've have clicked on those "Brides from Vietnam" banner ads after all.

Click? Fuck, I bought one.

This is a bummer, man. This is only place I've come for Cleveland sports info since I left Ohio in 2005.

I am also guilty of adding less content and more snark to most threads. I must have checked this site a dozen times during the combine looking for info and opinions.

It's a bitch trying to find it yourself.

Spring Training Resolution- try to start, or add, a thoughtful, well reasoned response to one topic a week. And also a "go fuck yourself" to only 2 threads a week.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:43 pm

Ugh....I've got nothing to add that hasn't been said. I have no idea where else to go to read about Cleveland sports.

Bummer, man...this is a bummer.

Thank Dog that the forums will continue. Hopefully it picks back up a bit. I don't know what I'd do without a daily dose of you goofy bastards.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:45 am

well Pup will be estatic. He wont be assaulted on the front page anymore with Articles about STATS.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:28 am

Cheers. I'll help keep the boards going. My favorite website, but the boards are icing on the cake. There is a solid several dozen of us that tune in most regularly, probably several more that lurk...Jennifer - are you out there in cyberspace somewhere with your purple bear?

It's started as a Tribe site and always leans that way. Maybe as the season starts we can pick up the gamethreads again. Those are hella fun. I'm in.

Btw - anyone wanna go dutch on the mlbtv premium script? $65 each. Lemme know via PM. If that still works.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:20 am

Man. I've been checking for the forums to come back a few times a week. CLicking over here to read up is part of the routine for me. Glad it's back.

It has been long enough, and I have been relying on Twitter so much, that I got confused on this thread, trying to read it from the bottom, up.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:24 am

Greg's post right above this reminds me that he wrote his first piece for Waiting For Next Year and it went up yesterday.

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2014/ ... cleveland/

If you like the historical stuff, nobody does it better than Greg. Glad to see you landed in a place where your work will still get read, Greg. Kudos.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:02 pm

Much appreciated AB. You, Brian and Rich are top shelf.
googleeph2

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:22 pm

googleeph2 wrote:Much appreciated AB. You, Brian and Rich are top shelf.

What about me?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:34 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

What about me?

Shut up Donnie. ;-) ;) :wink:

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:55 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

What about me?

I'm sorry. (Extends hand) And you are......?
googleeph2

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:26 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

What about me?

You're more like Early Times. Don't feel bad, I love me some plastic bottle whiskey. Platonically, of course.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby OldDawg » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:51 pm

TBH, I never really spent much time reading the articles. No offense to anyone intended. I have always enjoyed interacting with you folks on here in the forums.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:42 pm

OldDawg wrote:TBH, I never really spent much time reading the articles. No offense to anyone intended. I have always enjoyed interacting with you folks on here in the forums.

...and you are...?
googleeph2

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:43 pm

Now see, if you'd read the articles, you'd maybe know that I think I;m really funny. ;-)
googleeph2

Unread postby Spin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:14 pm

I have unlimited space and bandwidth on my hosting service. They can move the database of the forum, the only fee would be the annual .com renewal.Or if you prefer, start your own account at Arvixe.com it doesn't cost much, very very little downtime, their IT is right on any problem. Even if it's self inflicted. ::doh::

I'm gonna miss the content. I really miss writing. But things change.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:07 pm

googleeph2 wrote:Now see, if you'd read the articles, you'd maybe know that I think I;m really funny. ;-)

And if you read some of my posts, you'd know that I think I am funny, too. As in my pet project, "Separared at Birth."

Again, no offense to any writer at all. I certainly am not being critical of the content. In fact, when I first came aboard (pardon the pun), I was really unaware of the front page article content.

Although I have enjoyed a vast variety of the threads on TCF, my personal favorite stuff on the forums has been:
1) Game threads (although I wasn't a consistent contributor)
2) Draft conversations (hey, I'm a Cleveland fan! All I can do is think about the next draft)
3) NCAA March Madness (we need to have another pool)

I do wish I had an opportunity to meet up with many of you at the various gatherings that have been arranged over the years (golf outing - I don't golf), various game gatherings, etc.
OldDawg

Unread postby Spin » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:04 pm

This is/was the only sports forum I go to (other than Zips Nation), and has been since I joined. I joined up after the forum of the old online sports talk show (short memory, was it called SportsTalkCleveland???) kind of petered out. There my antagonist was a guy named "John from Lorain" who was also a talk show caller (sometimes on the radio shows too). Here I've had several antagonists at one time or another, often at the same goddamn time.

Some are gone now, and even though at times I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire, I miss the banter between them and the others. I've usually learned by listening, and even as the red headed stepchild I've been in some great conversations.

I'm glad it's back, I'll help whenever I can. It was fun writing and I was hoping I could move into more popular sports one day, but getting my medical career started under the shadow of Obamacare has been a challenge (lots of jobs out there, but eventually getting into my favorite area is a tough road) and taking care of my dad's estate, it wasn't possible.

So I'll still throw out ideas and opinions. Sometimes they'll torch, but sometimes it'll spark some good shit, and those times make this the best (only) forum out there.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:27 pm

Damn. Just damn. This is a sad day.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:06 am

OldDawg wrote: no offense

Dude, none taken at all. I really do just think I;m funny. No biting sarcasm intended.

I have lurked here for the entire time. I remember Swerb, on another site, changing his avatar to Lucy/Charlie Brown and mentioning he was starting his own site. So I came and stayed.

I don;t know the difference between a Nick Markakis and a Mike Moustakis (hey, I can use that) but the writers here kept me up on baseball- and the other sports covered here too. I always say it because it's true: it;'s a kick being associated with "real" sports writers. I'd say names but I don;'t want to discount those I'd omit. I've always been a fringe guy here- sometimes because I'm just trying to keep up.

I know you and your stuff here pretty well. I think I offered a Trey Anastasio/Adam Dunn look-alike post.

I wouldn't want to try to prove my bona fides or anything, though.
Although I did get insulted once by Eye, so there's that.

Also- agree, game threads here were always great.

:cheers:
googleeph2

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB