Text Size

High School Sports

MACattack's Top 15 Preseason Basketball Rankings

Talk Ohio high school sports in here, with an emphasis on the Northeast Ohio schools.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yargs7

MACattack's Top 15 Preseason Basketball Rankings

Unread postby MACattack » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:50 pm

MACattacksports.com posts the preseason Top 15 in basketball for each division. A more complete listing will be available shortly.
MACattack

Top 100 teams in the state

Unread postby MACattack » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:07 am

We have updated the "MACattack Basketball Power Rankings" 400+ teams ranked and this will continue to build with fan support to provide accurate records of teams around the state.

http://www.macattacksports.com

Mac
MACattack

Unread postby Spin » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:08 am

FYI the Suburban League (Division I) also includes the Green (Akron) Bulldogs and the Revere (Richfield) Minutemen.

You have Ashland ranked over Anderson in football? Ashland did look good on TV, but Anderson beat them last week. That OCC US 30 conference hasn't turned into the superconference everyone thought it would.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:02 pm

I thought the Suburban League and some of the others merged into a mega conference?
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby Spin » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:19 pm

Nope. The only rumors I've heard is Revere leaving and Nordonia coming in.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

400 games entered

Unread postby MACattack » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:16 am

Hi,

I'm slowly getting the records and and overall ratings updated. This weekend should have a lot of corrections and updates.
MACattack

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:55 am

I was at the St. Ed's game Wednesday.

Great game, and that kid from CA, is one tough cover. But the game was won when Ed's coach Flannery finally got his head out of his butt and used the best big man in the gym, Pritchard. He was the second half of that game.

Roe had a sweet left handed dunk in somebody's face too, very nice.

Ed's is the best team in the state, and that is with losing their super stud freshman PG from last year (he went to Oak Hill). The only question is if Flannery can be a good enough coach not to screw it up, which I doubt.

If Ed's had a real coach the past 8 years they would have 4 state championships in hoops without question, the talent they have had is just sick.

As an Ed's grad I must say I was proud when the camera shots during commercials caught the gym ceiling filled with banner after banner.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby fundamentals » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:23 pm

Four state titles in last 8 years? wow that's a bit ambitious there and you are not taking into consideration the talent that other teams have possessed.

1999,2003,2007 went to Moeller
2000 went to St. X
2001 went to Iggy
2002 went to Brookhaven
2004 went to Hamilton
and 2005 and 2006 went to Canton McKinley

Having said that I am sure a team from the Cincinnati area will again be more than a formidable opponent come the end of the year, though I hate to point that out.
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:19 pm

My point was/is that IIRC Ed's, since and including the first year of Clancy (NBA?), Lapore and Logan, has had 4 years in which they have had 3 Division 1 players in their starting 5. Yet only 1 state title, that is underachieving.

Last year was a no brainer for that team, but again no gold for them, coaching would have made the difference.

IIRC even LeBron's HS team didn't have that much talent.

FUDU

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:21 am

Off the top of my head, LeBron's team had Dru Joyce and Romeo Travis, both of which went to Akron to play college ball.

Only one team in each division wins a state title and that's tough. Other teams have talent too and often more than Ed's. Their coach is not to blame for that imo.

By the way, Delvon Roe is probably out for the year from what I heard today.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps ... 1023/RSS01
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:23 pm

Only one team in each division wins a state title and that's tough. Other teams have talent too and often more than Ed's

This is where we obviously disagree, and believe me I m not being a homer here.

I am not even that big of fan of HS sports. But Ed's has really choked in football, hockey and hoops this past decade. I see it in hoops more so than anywhere else. I highly doubt another NE Ohio HS has had as much talent year in year out than Ed's has in the past 6-8 years.

Flannery is a great recruiter of talent but not so hot with the strategies of basketball and the match ups.

The guy that used to coach the girl juggernaut around here would have won 3-4 titles with Ed's talent.

edited to add: IIRC Ed's lost one game last year, in the finals. There is no way they should not have won it last year for sure.

FUDU

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:56 pm

And we agree to disagree. The Mckinley teams of a couple of years ago along with a couple of the Moeller teams (the one that had Brackman who went to NC State).

You would be surprised at how many d 1 players are in Ohio. Take for example the team that beat LBJ's SVSM team in his jr year, Roger Bacon. It ended up having four of its five starters play D 1 basketball and everyone acted like the game was a huge upset because LBJ and company got beat. That was the greatest HS game I ever saw with the one between Benedictine and VASJ at Madison,when Dale Thomas shattered the backboard with a dunk a close second.
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby thedirtceo » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:31 pm

FUDU wrote:I was at the St. Ed's game Wednesday.

Great game, and that kid from CA, is one tough cover. But the game was won when Ed's coach Flannery finally got his head out of his butt and used the best big man in the gym, Pritchard. He was the second half of that game.

Roe had a sweet left handed dunk in somebody's face too, very nice.

Ed's is the best team in the state, and that is with losing their super stud freshman PG from last year (he went to Oak Hill). The only question is if Flannery can be a good enough coach not to screw it up, which I doubt.

If Ed's had a real coach the past 8 years they would have 4 state championships in hoops without question, the talent they have had is just sick.

As an Ed's grad I must say I was proud when the camera shots during commercials caught the gym ceiling filled with banner after banner.

FYI - the best Point Guard in the school is running indoor track instead of playing hoops!
thedirtceo
Thread Killer

Unread postby Oozer » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:22 am

thedirtceo wrote:FYI - the best Point Guard in the school is running indoor track instead of playing hoops!

Reminds me of when I was there and the best soccer goalie (and one of the best in the state), quit to wrestle after starting for the varsity squad his Freshmen year.

FUDU wrote:As an Ed's grad I must say I was proud when the camera shots during commercials caught the gym ceiling filled with banner after banner.

So was I. It was very cool seeing the gym, bursting with banners on ESPN. If only more of those banners were for sports not named wrestling or hockey.
Oozer

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:23 pm

Well they have a shot at adding another banner not named wrestling or Hockey.

How Flannery got this team to the finals is beyond me, after losing 2 starters, one of them being a top 15 HS player in the nation.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:16 am

Well not this time, props to them for making it this far. Once Roe went out this team's chances dropped significantly IMO.

They allowed Newark to shoot 50% from the field, while only getting 40% of their own shots to fall, add in the FT disparity and there you have it.

Ed's will just have to enjoy their hockey and wrestling banners from this year.

FUDU

Return to High School Sports