Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Josh barfield - Background knowledge

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Josh barfield - Background knowledge

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:52 pm

Minors
at the age of 18 played 2b and shortstop in 2001 at rookie level hitting .310 with 4 homers and 53RBI's

next season at low A he played 129 games at second one in the OF hit 8 dingers and drove in 61runs swiping 26 bases with a .306AVG

2003 his best season by far hitting 18 shots and driving in a massive 128 runs stole 16 bases hit .337 and had an OPS of .919 and was named MVP.

after that year i think he got a bit pull happy and although he hit 18HR and 90RBI's his average fell to .248

2005 he rebounded hitting 15 long balls and had 72RBI's 20 steals .31AVG and .370OBP

his career OPS in the minors was a shade under 800 (.796) but his on base skills steadily improved every season while his slugging fluctuated from .437 to .530 then to .450.

first year in the Majors Josh had 13 Home runs 58RBI's 21 stelas in 26 attempts he hit .280 with an OPS of .741

however on the road he hit .319 with an 839OPS

getting out of PETCO and not hitting ahead of the pitcher will really help him excel and jump onto the next plateau as a hitter.

amazingly he hit .351 in day games with a .381OBP and slugging % over .500 in those 41 games.

he had a slow starts to the year (.200AVG in March and April) and a bad finish to the year (.158 in September and October) which naturally hampers his overall numbers quite a bit.

he's good at hitting to the the opposite field which benefits him at the jake with the wind out to RF.

he was a lefty masher hitting them at a .331 clip and a .587SLG%

lefties also had a hard time striking him out (just 15 in 121 atbats)

if he can translate that into his numbers versus righties then this kid has no ceiling.

he was also a good 2 out hitter (.283AVG with 2 outs)
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby swerb » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:00 pm

I heard Keane interview him on WTAM, and he mentioned a couple times how happy he was to hear that ball flies out to right center when it warms up at the Jake.

When asked what the favorite part of his game was, Barfield said flatly "hitting home runs" and that "chicks love the long ball". That was a little concerning to me, especially if the Tribe is grooming him as a 2 hole hitter.

Barfield said he's a 30-40 SB guy too. He said hitting in front of the pitcher for most of the year in SD limited his chances to steal bases.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:13 pm

Yeah, I caught that interview....although the HR comment to me sounded more like he was laughing about it and kidding. Solid interview, and you can just hear how solid an individual this kid is. The guy's playstyle is exactly like Sizemore....runs out every play and runs through walls. He and Grady will battle for dirtiest uniform on the field on a nightly basis.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby swerb » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:20 pm

Yeah, you couldn't help but be impressed listening to the kid talk. This kids gonna be one of my favorite players.

Next round of Cleveland sports jerseys for me ...

Shannon Brown, Josh Barfield, Leigh Bodden
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:46 pm

Swerb wrote:Yeah, you couldn't help but be impressed listening to the kid talk. This kids gonna be one of my favorite players.

Next round of Cleveland sports jerseys for me ...

Shannon Brown, Josh Barfield, Leigh Bodden

yeah i'm gonna get a barfield jersey

i dont understand why people who dont play american football wear the jerseys, yeah ok they're fans of the team

but they look like nobs
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby swerb » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:04 pm

Danny, I disagree. They're comfortable. And nothing hides the spare tire better.

I just wish that every jersey I buy wouldn't destroy that players career (Spielman, Couch, Jamir Miller).

And fix that quote thing man. You can fix it in your profile. Swith allow BB Codes and HTML to "yes".
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:22 pm

Let us know if the Bodden jersey comes with an air cast
That guy stinks

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:54 pm

FightDr wrote:Let us know if the Bodden jersey comes with an air cast
That guy stinks

Bodden is quality

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:12 pm

I will never buy a Browns/Cavs/Indians jersey again. With the way players jump teams in all sports now every 2-4 years, forget it. I used to make fun of those guys with their name on the back of the jersey, but they are the smart ones. My next Browns jersey is a Lastoria "24" jersey. :lol:
consigliere

Unread postby swerb » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:16 pm

Leigh Bodden, when healthy, has been one of the top cornerbacks in all of football the last two years.

That is a fact.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:37 pm

When healthy is not too often

He is quality compared to Gary "No Knees" Baxter

Unread postby pup » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:10 pm

Heard Kenny "The Clueless Wonder" Rhoda (hate rental cars, missing my XM) interview the MLB.com writer who covers the Padres today and he was nearly brought to tears talking about this trade.

He says Barfield is a terrific person, one of the nicest guys he has ever covered. He thinks he will be a gold glove level second baseman and will be a .300/20 guy. If he gets to hit in the 2 hole with Pronk third he will get a shitload of pitches to hit.

Grady
Barfield
Pronk
Carlos Lee/Alfonso Soriano/Gary Sheffield
V-Mart
Blake
Peralta
Garko
Marte
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby ACrank » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:08 pm

Carlos Lee/Alfonso Soriano/Gary Sheffield

Puhlease - Soriano is out of the Indians price range (out of any non major market teams price range), i still think Lee goes back to the Cubs, and i hope the Indians don't get Sheffield....

i'll take Alou for a year while watching Trevor Crowe develop.....
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby pup » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:05 am

If Carlos Lee was in the price range before getting Barfield, then Soriano is in the price range now. With the 4 million they are saving by having Barfield at second, I think it brings everyone into the budget.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Guest » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:38 am

I would be happy as can be in they signed Soriano
I love watching him hit.
Carlos Lee would be solid also

Unread postby swerb » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:40 am

I will grow a third testicle before the Indians pay Alfonso Soriano 80 million dollars over 5 years.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:45 am

Is that three after you take the first two out of your wife's purse, or would you have to grow all three? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:56 pm

Reports alrteady say the Indians are not interested in Soriano. So enough with that talk.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:17 pm

Reports say that we are destined to just miss on all the big free agents, so enought with all the talk.

Why wouldn't we do whatever we can to land one of the 3? It does not make any sense. So we can spend money on this list of free agent bumbs for the bullpen? We might as well spend the cash on a SP and a stud LF. Trade Lee and prospects for some bullpen help.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby ACrank » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:21 pm

When was the last time the Indians landed one of the Top 3 free agents?

Heck - when was the FIRST time....
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby pup » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:44 pm

When is the last time the Indians won a World Series? Maybe it is time, after nearly 60 years to change the formula. Just a thought.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby ACrank » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:07 am

Pup wrote:

When is the last time the Indians won a World Series? Maybe it is time, after nearly 60 years to change the formula. Just a thought.

Nice idea. Still not going to happen. Until baseball gets real revinue sharing, the Indians are never going to be in the market for a top free agent. (I'd love to be proven wrong, but the truth is the market just does not support that type of signing. It didn't when Jacobs and Hart ran the team and were selling out 455 games in a row - why would it now?)

This is one of Crank's Rules. Its called the self fulfilling prophecy - set up something that the Indians can never hope to do, and when it doesn't happen the fan jumps up and screams - Dolan is cheap!!!!
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby pup » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:59 am

So what can I expect out of the Indians this off-season. Please provide the blueprint for what you think A) the Indians should do and B) what they will do.

There were only 3 guys that would upgrade this offense heading into 2007. Sheffield, Soriano and Carlos Lee. One is gone. One is out of our range. The third will become out of our price range because he is the only other option for about 25 teams looking for help.

So we will fix the bullpen, right? With who? You either add 4 guys to this unit or you might as well add just a closer. Either go with the kids out there or bring in an entire new bullpen. I say go with the kids and spend money on offense, because it does not really matter who is in the bullpen when Wedge is calling the shots.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby ACrank » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:22 pm

The Indians are going to have to make a trade or two for the pen.

I'm curious to see what happens with Frank Thomas and the A's - if Thomas does not sign i expect Oakland to turn up the heat on getting Garko for a reliever or two - and that makes me nervous, not just because of trading Garko but because i have read Moneyball and know what Beane thinks of relievers - if Beane wants to trade a reliever or two i want to know whats wrong with them...

i think their are arms out there to add one or two as free agents - but i would look at Steve Kline or Darren Oliver, as well as someone like Foulke, Roberto Hernandez (i know most here won't like that, but he is experienced, and has pitched both as a set up guy and a closer) to support whatever the Indians do in a trade....

the offense really doesn't need upgraded as much as the pen needs upgraded - after the pen is done if the offense can be upgraded, great - but to go into the offseason looking to upgrade the offense and ignoring the pen is just sheer lunacy (in my less than humble opinion)

Sheffield had no fit here (we have a DH), Soriano is going to a major market, and i still expect Lee to go back to Chicago (but with the Cubbies) so the Indians weren't going to be in the running with any of them...
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby pup » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:00 pm

Boy. If that is the big off-season Shapiro has been hinting at, we are in trouble. A bunch of re-tread bullpen guys for $20 million dollar payroll increase. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Who exactly is playing first base if we trade Garko? Are we back to Victor at first and Kelly catching? So now we have downgraded the offense.

This sounds a lot like the winter before last year, except we added a couple starting pitchers instead of relievers.

I just believe they need to do something to re-energize the organization, and they way to do that is not with Darren Oliver and Steve Kline. I would rather the lefties in the bullpen be Sipp and Perez over those two.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby ACrank » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:12 pm

Here is the thing - there isn't much in terms of FA at all outside of the players you want, and the Indians will never be able to get.

They can make a trade for a closer then sign a couple of others to round the pen out.

Renergizing the organization is nice, but unless if its done by adding someone at a position of need, its a needless risk.

The Indians are going to be taking enough risks this offseason, a needless one is just plain stupid.
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:32 pm

Pup, signing Soriano or Lee is just not realistic.

These guys each have 15-20 teams with interest in them. Baseball revenues, attendance, and profits are at an all time high. There are more teams with money to spend this off-season than ever before. And the FA market sucks. Players are going to get overpaid to proportions not seen since the ARod and Manny blockbuster deals brought baseball salaries to the next level.

Why in the hell would either of these guys come here? To win a WS? We were 78-84 last year, haven't won one since '48, and are in the toughest division in baseball. The weather sucks. The manager is like 34 years old and has no respect around the league.

Saying "pay whatever it takes" sounds great, and is an argument I myself have made in past years. But it simply doesn't work here. You don't think there's not ten more GMs in more desirable locales saying the same thing? I still say Soriano is going nowhere. He loves DC, is an idolized icon there. They got a sweet new park coming next year.

It's going to be a challenging offseason for Shapiro. And I totally agree with you in your take that we should not take the offense for granted just because we ranked 1 and 3 in the AL the last two years. Marte, Peralta are questions. Barfield in a new league. Garko not going Jody Gerut. Blake in a odd year.

I do think Shapiro will find a way to get a solid player in the tier below Soriano/Lee for LF. Whether that is Moises Alou, or a trade ... its hard to say.

I think Shapiro will also add 3 arms for the bullpen. Two former Indians Id love to see come back are Justin Speier and Steve Kline.

Im the king of the offseason melt, and have echoed many of your takes the last two off-seasons. Call me crazy, I have a gut feeling that this offseason plays out pretty well for the Indians and Shapiro, even without a big name signing.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:38 am

Im the king of the offseason melt, and have echoed many of your takes the last two off-seasons. Call me crazy, I have a gut feeling that this offseason plays out pretty well for the Indians and Shapiro, even without a big name signing.

You're crazy :D

Shapiro is on record saying the payroll will go up 20-25 million. Justin Speier and Steve Kline are not making that kind of jack. We saved money acquiring Barfield to play 2nd. I just can't figure out what they are spending it on if it is not one of those 2 guys.

We have become so pathetic and lowered our expectation so much over the last couple of years that we believe players like this are out of our reach. I refuse to believe that. I have long said the goal of this front office is to convince the fans that they cannot sign these guys. I guess it has worked.

Next you will be telling me Wedge has control of this team and dugout.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby ACrank » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:40 am

We believe players like Soriano are out of our reach because they are out of our reach.

I asked this before and do not believe you answered. If you are a free agent and your top two offers are Cleveland and Los Angeles, where do you go?

Keep in mind that money can go to extending current players as well as trading for a contract that someone else wants to dump.

Its not just going to be spent on Free Agents.
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby pup » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:55 pm

I asked this before and do not believe you answered. If you are a free agent and your top two offers are Cleveland and Los Angeles, where do you go?

I would say that choice would be diferent depending on who I am. There is no way to predict it. Some players would rather be in the midwest. Some players would rather be on the west or east coast. Some don't care as long as the checks keep coming in. Personally, I have been out west, going to school in Arizona, and I would pick Cleveland 100 times out of 100. All I am asking is they give it a shot. If it does not work, what did it cost us? I don't see how this has any meaning to the conversation, which is why I have not answered it. It is akin to not asking a hot chick on a date because you already know she will say no. Well I know plenty of people that asked that hot chick and are now married to them.

Keep in mind that money can go to extending current players

Which does nothing for improving the 2007 Indians, which is what I care about.

as well as trading for a contract that someone else wants to dump.

That is fine, but I do not know the availability of any salary dumps. I am not saying get Lee or Soriano or I am out as a fan. I am saying take any steps possible to improve the team. Both of them improve the team and should be strongly considered.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby ACrank » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:22 am

Pup wrote:

I would say that choice would be diferent depending on who I am. There is no way to predict it. Some players would rather be in the midwest. Some players would rather be on the west or east coast. Some don't care as long as the checks keep coming in. Personally, I have been out west, going to school in Arizona, and I would pick Cleveland 100 times out of 100.

Great response - you and i are a lot more alike then we might think. Unfortunately not realistic - marquis free agents are going to go to the bigger market all the time, or force the smaller market to over pay for their services (think of Toronto last year with BJ Ryan, or about any free agent the Orioles have signed).

All I am asking is they give it a shot. If it does not work, what did it cost us? I don't see how this has any meaning to the conversation, which is why I have not answered it. It is akin to not asking a hot chick on a date because you already know she will say no. Well I know plenty of people that asked that hot chick and are now married to them.

It has plenty of meaning to the conversation - the larger markets give more outside revinue opportunities. Does ARod do a Pepsi Commercial if he stays in Texas or Seattle? I'm not saying they shouldn't try - i am saying we shouldn't expect.

Keep in mind that money can go to extending current players

Which does nothing for improving the 2007 Indians, which is what I care about.

Short term thinking. You are a fan - you have your right to that. The FO does not have that luxury.

as well as trading for a contract that someone else wants to dump.

That is fine, but I do not know the availability of any salary dumps. I am not saying get Lee or Soriano or I am out as a fan. I am saying take any steps possible to improve the team. Both of them improve the team and should be strongly considered.[/quote]

But they aren't going to happen. I don't know of any salary dumps available either, but i guess that wasn't the point i was trying to make. You sit look at the FA market and wonder what the Indians are going to get - the truth is the players they need just aren't on the free agent market (why do you think they got Barfield? did you take a look at the second basemen available?), so while you sit and wait for them to sign someone that they aren't going to sign (at positions that are not of need), i would rather wonder what type of trades are going to be made.

There are other options to add to a team than signing Free Agents. And with the FA that are available not matching with the needs of this team, i would expect very little to be done in FAgency (other than perhaps a secondary arm or two for the pen) and almost everything to be done in trades.

I hope they kick the tires on Soriano and Lee both. And i hope they walk away from what i know will be highly inflated prices for both players.
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby pup » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:34 am

you and i are a lot more alike then we might think

shhhhh. Don't telly anybody. :lol:

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB