Text Size

High School Sports

Do the right thing STO!........................

Talk Ohio high school sports in here, with an emphasis on the Northeast Ohio schools.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yargs7

Do the right thing STO!........................

Unread postby WarpathNation » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:47 am

Televise one of the two biggest games this weekend! Please show either of the following:

Steubenville vs. Mooney

or

St. Xavier vs. Colerain

These will be the two best matchups of the entire year!!!
WarpathNation

Unread postby WarpathNation » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:46 pm

Allright!

Ask and you shall receive
WarpathNation

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:46 pm

SportsTime Ohio’s OHSAA football playoff coverage continues with the Regional Finals this week. Friday November 16 will be Mayfield vs. Parma Normandy live at 7:30pm. STO will televise the Division IV game between Youngstown Cardinal Mooney and Steubenville Saturday live at 7:00pm.

FRIDAY 11/16/07

Mayfield vs. Parma Normandy Live 7:30pm

Replayed Saturday 11/17/07 9:00am

SATURDAY 11/17/07

Youngstown Cardinal Mooney vs. Steubenville Live 7:00pm

Replayed Saturday 11/17/07 11:00pm & Sunday 11/18/07 9:00am
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Rules » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:28 pm

Yeah i should have known! STO will be no better then ONN! Mayfield vs normandy? Are you freaking kidding me? St.X vs Colerain is on Friday night at Nippert Stadium and your not doing the game.

You dropped the ball on the Alter-Coldwater game this past weekend...get your heads out of Northern Ohio!

Congrats on dropping the ball! :lol:
Rules

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:09 pm

get your heads out of Northern Ohio

Moron thats where they are based and of course they are going to show more Northern Ohio games because thats what the fanbase wants. Its going to draw more viewers. Besides anyone this jacked up about high school football needs something else to do on a friday night.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Rules » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:21 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
get your heads out of Northern Ohio

Moron thats where they are based and of course they are going to show more Northern Ohio games because thats what the fanbase wants. Its going to draw more viewers. Besides anyone this jacked up about high school football needs something else to do on a friday night.

and your calling me a moron! The fan base is all over Ohio not just Northern Ohio. Its OHIO high school football. not Northern Ohio football. When the rest of the state has to watch sub-par football because a TV station is afraid to drive past I-30 i don't want to hear from the peanut gallery about where the fan base in Ohio is.

Some of us get this jacked up about high school ball because is true. Not destroyed by high priced contracts and TV deals or BCS crap that seems to be drilled every year because they are afraid of going to a playoff system and lose money. High school kids playing football for the love of the game and the love of the game only.
Rules

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:54 pm

High school kids playing football for the love of the game and the love of the game only.

and a scholarship opportunity to a good school, so they can play in BCS games, and ultimately get big contracts. Irony is sooooo delicious.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Rules » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:09 pm

1% of high school football players will go on and play ball in the NFL. Lets be realistic here.

If thats the best you got go ahead and move to another thread.
Rules

Unread postby D1ball » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:54 pm

it's more like 6% but hey.

The Mooney - Steubenville game would was a bust. Mentor - Glenville was good enough to rival Mentor's title game last year.
"Do in your life that which will live forever."
D1ball

Unread postby Spin » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:05 pm

Route 30??? The Cleveland media can't see past the Cuyahoga County line. They don't seem to understand that more than half of their audience LIVES OUTSIDE OF CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby fundamentals » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:41 pm

Nothing against Mooney and Steubenville, but after listening to the Mentor game last night, it's a shame it wasn't on television. Guys I know said it will go down as one of the greatest h.s. games ever played.
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:23 am

Some of us get this jacked up about high school ball because is true. Not destroyed by high priced contracts and TV deals or BCS crap that seems to be drilled every year because they are afraid of going to a playoff system and lose money. High school kids playing football for the love of the game and the love of the game only.

:lol: If STO didnt get a CONTRACT with the cable/dish providers you wouldnt be able to watch it at all... I hope my High school (Hilliard Darby) loses every game they play for the rest of time. I am SORRY for the "jacked up" comment it was the wrong thing to say. To each his own. If STO was based in Columbus or Cinci would you be surprised if they featured teams form that area over other parts of the state? STO cant make everyone happy.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Rules » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:11 am

Maybe the state needs to award 3 contracts. 1 for Northern, 1 for Central and 1 for Southern Ohio.

I thought ONN did a decent job of gettin camera's around the state of Ohio, the problem was they was only on TWC where STO is available on TWC, Dish and Direct Tv's. So STO has an advantage, but they need to branch outside of Northern Ohio or you will get what you got last weekend. STO ended up getting the ST.X-Colerain game because enough people went off the deep end about it.
Rules

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:48 pm

Maybe the state needs to award 3 contracts. 1 for Northern, 1 for Central and 1 for Southern Ohio.

See thats a good idead but they would have to add channels to thier package and that might cost alot of money making it a pay service. Plus there are people in the north that want southern games and vice versa. Adding the channels just for the HS playoffs might work for TW cable since they have 100 un-used channels.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Rules » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:13 pm

Well STO has picked up the St.X-Coffman game live on Saturday night which is in Dayton. No game on Friday night i will assume they have some other contractual agreement with someone on Friday...Cavs??

My other suggestion would be just to have the OHSAA develop their own channel and broadcast games themselves. Let everyone have a piece of it Dish,Direct, and TWC this way everybody gets it...(down fall of ONN). The OHSAA has the money they rape gate numbers bad enough...I.E. only reporting 20,000 fans at Nippert stadium last Friday night to watch Colerain-St.X. Which is 8-9,000 short of what was really there. 8,000 x $8 each = $64,000 in just 1 game.
Rules

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:58 pm

SPORTSTIME OHIO ANNOUNCES WEEK 4 OHSAA FOOTBALL PLAYOFF COVERAGE

SportsTime Ohio’s OHSAA football playoff coverage continues with the State semi-finals this week. Saturday November 24th STO will televise the Division I game between Dublin Coffman and Cincinnati St. Xavier live at 7:00pm. Mike Cairns and high school analyst Greg Frey will provide the play-by-play and color commentary. In addition, STO will air the Mentor vs. Brunswick game tape delayed Saturday at 11:00pm.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:51 am

1% of high school football players will go on and play ball in the NFL. Lets be realistic here.

That doesn't mean that a lot of the others aren't playing for the dream, or reliving their father's glory days for him. High school sports are not all for the love of the game, and I would argue that lots of college kids and pros love the game too.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:54 am

I am not exactly sure what rock you crawled out from under, but we are fairly decent to each other around here. Please try to act like an adult.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Rules » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:22 am

Furls wrote:

I am not exactly sure what rock you crawled out from under, but we are fairly decent to each other around here. Please try to act like an adult.

You got all that out in the same sentence even though it's a contradiction in terms.....Not sure what rock you crawled out of and we are fairly decent with each other around here.

Fact is this, in 2 weeks i doubt i worry to much about this website till next August when high school football season rolls back around. Pro basketball is boring, baseball only provides sports fans enough to do until football gets going again.

As for your other post, you can argue all you want about weather or not pro athletes or college athletes play for the love of the game or not. I am not 1 of them nor are you so its pointless. I was called out on why i enjoy high school ball so much and i answered it. Its cheaper, and your closer to the game. They are not the Best of the Best they are just kids doing with what they got with all the heart and soul they can. They carry their school and town on their shoulders and do it with a smile on their face and pride in their eye.
Rules

Unread postby Spin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:35 pm

Its cheaper, and your closer to the game. They are not the Best of the Best they are just kids doing with what they got with all the heart and soul they can. They carry their school and town on their shoulders and do it with a smile on their face and pride in their eye.

Agreed. You just described college football (out$ide the top 35 or 40 program$). Most people think there's no such thing outside Columbus, their loss.

And, for that matter, you described Arena Football. I'm talking about the teams that charge you $13 for the same seats that the Cleveland Kosars are charging $100.00 for. Teams that are just as much fun, a hell of a lot more competitive, and you know just as much about the players. It's a nice carry-over until the real stuff starts again.
Spin

Unread postby furls » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:04 pm

You know what else is nice,

College Hockey. I used to go see the Buckeyes hockey team play for about 5.00 a ticket and sit right on the ice. I would get better seats that you could for the Blow Jackets and it cost me about 1/10th the price.

You all have solid points, the only point I was trying to make is that there are plenty of motives outside of the love of the game even at the High School level.

I have never been to a MAC game outside of watching them play in the Horseshoe, but they play a lot better ball there than they get credit for. The downside is that the AD consistently send their teams out on fundraising slaughters and that is how the MAC generally hits the headlines. One of these days, one of those schools is going to make someone very sorry (a la App state).

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Rules » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:09 pm

Spin wrote:
Its cheaper, and your closer to the game. They are not the Best of the Best they are just kids doing with what they got with all the heart and soul they can. They carry their school and town on their shoulders and do it with a smile on their face and pride in their eye.

Agreed. You just described college football (out$ide the top 35 or 40 program$). Most people think there's no such thing outside Columbus, their loss.

And, for that matter, you described Arena Football. I'm talking about the teams that charge you $13 for the same seats that the Cleveland Kosars are charging $100.00 for. Teams that are just as much fun, a hell of a lot more competitive, and you know just as much about the players. It's a nice carry-over until the real stuff starts again.

1 of my major downfalls is i have never taken the time to take in a college game yet. I am a Buckeyes fan, but Piqua has kids at Miami (ohio), Ball State, and a few others that i could go see for a much discounted price.

I have tried watching Arena ball, but i can't get into it. I have tried i swear i have. But i love defense way to much to deal with scores every week around the 70-66 area. I don't like the reciever getting a running start either. We have a local team that plays like 10 mins away, maybe seeing it in person would change my view of the game.
Rules

Unread postby Spin » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:45 pm

The problem with the MAC is that they just plain beat the hell out of each other every week. You don't see the same dominant teams every year, it's very competitive.

If you're trying to get noteriety on the national level, that's bad. If you hate sitting through 58-7 conference "games", it's where you wanna be.

BTW, ask Minnesota about scheduling "cream puff" MAC schools. They were a short hair in OT from going 0-2 against the MAC this year...

Akron U has a hockey team. They just won their first game at U Pitt. Otherwise it's been a long year. But only $3.00 for adults, I think it's a nice alternative to bad minor league hockey at 10X that. http://www2.uakron.edu/icehockey/
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:54 pm

I have tried watching Arena ball, but i can't get into it.

It's an entertainment. Just a good time.

When I watch it, it reminds me of playing football with a few other guys growing up. Like kicking the ball, it bouncing off the old lady's Buick, and it's still in play. The good old days. heh heh. The kids like the speed and the action, the hard hitting just a few feet away.

"If you catch a ball, you get to keep it. If you catch a player, you have to throw him back."
Spin

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:52 pm

Furls wrote:I have never been to a MAC game outside of watching them play in the Horseshoe, but they play a lot better ball there than they get credit for. The downside is that the AD consistently send their teams out on fundraising slaughters and that is how the MAC generally hits the headlines. One of these days, one of those schools is going to make someone very sorry (a la App state).

Furls,
I assume your comment relates to Football cuz didn't little ole Kent State make the elite 8 in the NCAA tourney a few years back when they had Antonio Gates coming off the bench???

MAC hoops always seems to make some noice in the NCAA tourney.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Return to High School Sports