Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Michael Symon - The Next Iron Chef

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Michael Symon - The Next Iron Chef

Unread postby swerb » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:06 pm

Just finally got caught up watching the final episodes of "The Next Iron Chef". Absolutely awesome work by Michael Symon, one of our very own from here in CTown, he of Lola and Lolita ... two great restaurants downtown.

Symon defeated LA chef John Besh in the final in Kitchen Stadium, with swordfish as the secret ingredient. It was a great finale. They actually had Iron Chefs Morimoto, Flay, and Cora do the tastings and join the judging panel. Besh got a little bold ... Morimoto joked that he wanted to see the chefs produce a swordfish desert. Besh took it as a challenge, and made a desert that the judges didn't care for too much, which kinda cost him.

Symon is now an Iron Chef, cementing his reputation as one of the greatest chefs in the world. And I can get in my car and drive 20 min and eat his creations.

If anyone out there has never seen the Iron Chef show, its pretty sweet. They unveil one main ingredient. And the chefs have 60 minutes in a stadium set up right next to one another to use that ingredient and incorporate it into six different courses of a meal.

The show is a big deal. Has been one of the top rated shows in Japan since the early 90s. Food Network picked it up, eventually spun off "Iron Chef America", pitting our countries top chefs against one another.

This competition was to crown a new Iron Chef, who challengers will take on in future shows. Symon winning is a really cool thing for Cleveland.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby mswerb » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:10 pm

Lola and Lolita our both customers of my workplace, and everyone says this guy is one of the nicest people you could meet.

How about when he took what looked like a tree saw to the swordfish?
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby swerb » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:43 pm

mswerb wrote:Lola and Lolita our both customers of my workplace, and everyone says this guy is one of the nicest people you could meet.

How about when he took what looked like a tree saw to the swordfish?

Yeah, from ALL accounts, he's one of the coolest, most down to earth, and genuinely good guys there is. And great to work for. He certainly comes across that way on TV, and in all the stuff I've read on him.

When he busted out that bone saw on the swordfish's head right outta the gates, you knew he wasn't messing around.

Hes a proud Clevelander, and huge Cleveland sports fan. Dude works like 80 hours a week, but Sundays are his away day to lock into the Browns.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:21 pm

He cracked me up on "No Reservations" that Mainiac laugh is awesome Im going to eat at his place soon. Have you guys been there?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Fixedgearrider » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:36 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:He cracked me up on "No Reservations" that Mainiac laugh is awesome Im going to eat at his place soon. Have you guys been there?

Been to both, and harassed him on East 4 one day. A seriously nice guy, even to a stinky bike messenger like me.
Fixedgearrider
Site Drunk

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:38 pm

Fixedgearrider wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:He cracked me up on "No Reservations" that Mainiac laugh is awesome Im going to eat at his place soon. Have you guys been there?

Been to both, and harassed him on East 4 one day. A seriously nice guy, even to a stinky bike messenger like me.

Nice! How was the food?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:35 am

you must try the beef cheek pierogie as an appetizer, unbeliveable. The smoked pork chops are awesome as well. The wine list is amazing as well and they have someone there to assist with selecting the appropriate wine with your meal. Been going to Lola since it first opened and always come away very happy.
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:38 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:you must try the beef cheek pierogie as an appetizer, unbeliveable. The smoked pork chops are awesome as well. The wine list is amazing as well and they have someone there to assist with selecting the appropriate wine with your meal. Been going to Lola since it first opened and always come away very happy.

I love pierogie not much of a wine fan though but I would try what they reccomend. Is Lola in downtown Cleveland?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Fixedgearrider » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:22 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Nice! How was the food?

One of the greatest meals of my life. And I ate at Le Halles when Bourdain was head chef.
Fixedgearrider
Site Drunk

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:21 pm

Check out Michael Ruhlman's blog if you get a chance. Some interesting tidbits there on how the final episode played out.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:02 pm

Ruhlman's utter contempt for Skyline Chilli made me proud. If you buy Skyline Chilli do yourself a favor and pour it directly into the toilet.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:02 pm

Was in NEO over Thanksgiving and took the family to Lola. With all he's got going on, I figure no way is Symon in the restaurant. Not only is he there, we ask to say hi and he spends 10 minutes, two different times, at our table. Was the nicest, most down to earth celebrity anyone would ever hope to meet. Really a genuine guy.

It doesn't hurt that the food rocks. Expensive, but very good.
mattvan1

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry