Text Size

High School Sports

Ohio High School Football Playoffs

Talk Ohio high school sports in here, with an emphasis on the Northeast Ohio schools.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yargs7

Ohio High School Football Playoffs

Unread postby swerb » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:39 am

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Spin » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:56 am

I'm headed out to Toledo Whitmer to watch my boy, and watch Dru Jones take it to the Panthers up in TooLeeDoo.

Yeah we're the underdog, I wouldn't have it any other way. :twisted:
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby swerb » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:37 pm

MEDIA ADVISORY

SPORTSTIME OHIO ANNOUNCES WEEK 1 OHSAA FOOTBALL PLAYOFF COVERAGE

SportsTime Ohio will televise eight (8) high school football playoff games starting Friday November 2, 2007. The first game on STO will be Division II Powell Olentangy Liberty at Ashland on Friday at 11:00pm. Matt Underwood will do the play-by-play and former OSU quarterback Justin Zwick will provide color commentary. STO will also televise the Division I game between Cleveland Glenville and Cleveland St. Ignatius LIVE Saturday November 3 at 7:00pm. Mike Cairns and former Buckeye Greg Frey will provide the play-by-play and color commentary.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby tribetalk » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:40 pm

I like the better announcing crews for this weekends games!!!

My Favorites to win Division 4 - Division 5 - Division 6 all come from the Youngstown Catholic Diocese!!!

D4: Cardinal Mooney
D5: Ursuline
D6: Warren JFK

I feel all 3 have a great shot at bringing home a state title back to the Mahoning Valley!
tribetalk

Favorite Player: Carlos Santana
Least Favorite Player: Lou Marson

We break it down better...easy to read!

Unread postby D1ball » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:04 am

SELECT THE DIVISION, CLICK ON THE LINK AND AWAY YOU GO TO THE EASY TO READ OHSAA BRACKETS, UPDATED WEEKLY.

LIVE SCORES AND UPDATES THROUGHOUT THE PLAYOFFS FROM OUR TEAM AT THE GAMES.

PLUS....CLICK ON "CHALK TALK" AND GET REALTIME FOOTBALL CHAT AS WELL!!!!

http://d1football.net/scoreboard.php

"D1 FOOTBALL. home of the Ultimate Football Combine."
"Do in your life that which will live forever."
D1ball

Unread postby Spin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:09 pm

Are they going to have all of the D1 football scores on Saturday?
Spin

Unread postby D1ball » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:18 pm

Hey Spin,

We'll have them all as they're called in by our kids at the game. As up to date as we can get.

Stay tuned
D1ball

Unread postby yargs7 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:22 am

tribetalk wrote:I like the better announcing crews for this weekends games!!!

My Favorites to win Division 4 - Division 5 - Division 6 all come from the Youngstown Catholic Diocese!!!

D4: Cardinal Mooney
D5: Ursuline
D6: Warren JFK

I feel all 3 have a great shot at bringing home a state title back to the Mahoning Valley!

Ursuline playing in Div 5 is a joke. Makes me sick.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby Spin » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:27 pm

Mooney is in 4 again? Didn't they get moved up out of D4 about 7 years ago, and wind up in D2 or D1?

That's about like the Colts playing Case and BW...
Spin

Unread postby D1ball » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:21 pm

They won D-IV championship last year, but moved to D-III the season prior. They should do very well.
Last edited by D1ball on Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
D1ball

Unread postby Spin » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:55 pm

I would hope so.

I think if you recruit, you're Div I. That's the only fair way to do it.
Spin

Unread postby D1ball » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:54 am

You'd think that if a team did recruit they'd have enrollment to be D-I, but not always the case. All schools have some type of recruiting philosophy and this includes public schools too...look at Glenville. Although a recent trend in kids saying no to Glenville's sometimes ridiculous offers may have stemmed that a bit. Dan Goodrum and Toney Foster of VASJ and Devon Jennings are a few kids that decided it was better for them and their school to stay put and not succumb to the offers from Glenville or promises of college scholarships just by being on the roster....never happens that way. College coaches recruit from how they see an athlete perform in school and on the field, NOT from Ted Ginn saying "he's good."

Stay at YOUR school and help YOUR school be a winner. Don't ride the coattails of success, make your own.
D1ball

Unread postby yargs7 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:53 pm

D1ball wrote:
Stay at YOUR school and help YOUR school be a winner. Don't ride the coattails of success, make your own.

AMEN
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby Spin » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:01 pm

I agree wholeheartedly. My alma-mater Chippewa would have a much better team, if the kids from the Catholic school stayed local, instead of going to the Catholic high schools in Akron. And the best public school players weren't lured away by D1 schools like Wadsworth.

To me, the public schools that do the recruiting, Massillon, Canton McKinley, Glenville, well most D1 teams, they're all Division 1. So moving the parochial schools to D1 would put them all in one class.

Isn't there a small high school in Columbus or Cincinnati that is made up of nothing but athletes?
Spin

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:12 pm

Spin wrote:I agree wholeheartedly. My alma-mater Chippewa would have a much better team, if the kids from the Catholic school stayed local, instead of going to the Catholic high schools in Akron. And the best public school players weren't lured away by D1 schools like Wadsworth.

To me, the public schools that do the recruiting, Massillon, Canton McKinley, Glenville, well most D1 teams, they're all Division 1. So moving the parochial schools to D1 would put them all in one class.

Isn't there a small high school in Columbus or Cincinnati that is made up of nothing but athletes?

CAPE is/was in Cincy. I believe its Cincinnati Academy of Physical Education.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Spin » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:45 pm

Stay tuned

NOPE no gots. Can't find the Wadsworth score anywhere.
Spin

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:54 pm

yargs7 wrote:
D1ball wrote:

AMEN

Why? If you can put yourself into a better situation that may get you a free education out of it than go for it. The QB thats playing for St. Ig tonight grew up in our Willoughby Football league and I have no problem with him not playing for South. I also wont have a problem when Stanzi's younger brother ( http://hawkeyesports.cstv.com/sports/m- ... cky00.html ) or Grbac's nephews go elsewhere than South.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby fundamentals » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:55 pm

anyone hear the announcer tonight during the Ville and Iggy? :lol: :eek: :o :-o
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:57 pm

fundamentals wrote:anyone hear the announcer tonight during the Ville and Iggy? :lol: :eek: :o :-o

I was flipping between 38 games. What are you referring to?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby tribetalk » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:11 pm

Youngstown teams doing well so far, and doing very well against teams in the greater cleveland area.

Ursuline
Lakeview
Boardman
South Range
Howland

all beat Cleveland Metro teams...

My picks for D4-D5-D6
Mooney - Ursuline - JFK respectively.....
tribetalk

Favorite Player: Carlos Santana
Least Favorite Player: Lou Marson

Unread postby jeck » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:20 am

D1ball wrote:You'd think that if a team did recruit they'd have enrollment to be D-I, but not always the case. All schools have some type of recruiting philosophy and this includes public schools too...look at Glenville. Although a recent trend in kids saying no to Glenville's sometimes ridiculous offers may have stemmed that a bit. Dan Goodrum and Toney Foster of VASJ and Devon Jennings are a few kids that decided it was better for them and their school to stay put and not succumb to the offers from Glenville or promises of college scholarships just by being on the roster....never happens that way. College coaches recruit from how they see an athlete perform in school and on the field, NOT from Ted Ginn saying "he's good."

D1 Ball-Cleveland Public Schools has open enrollment where any kid living in the district can go there. So they recruit within their own school district. Obviously, teams like Mooney can't recruit enough kids to get to D1 but those kids they get are studs (2 kids to Penn St. and one to ND). They are the Ignatius-Eds of that area. It doesn't matter what district (level) you are in you can get great players if you can recruit from a 6 county area. Teams like Ignatius and Eds should dominate year in and year out. Year in and year out you see private schools contending for state championships. Take a school like Mooney who is ranked 13th in the country according to ESPN. I think they should've have a private school division and a public school division for each level.
jeck

Unread postby Spin » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:15 pm

Why? If you can put yourself into a better situation that may get you a free education out of it than go for it.

Well it would be nice to have ONE PURE SPORT that wasn't ruled by money.

The Mooneys and might not be able to recruit enough kids to be a D1 school, but they recruit enough quality football players to be a D1 team. It is NOT FAIR.

My school (Chippewa D4) made the playoffs for the first time and got put up against Cardinal Moody. It was UGLY. Everyone was discouraged.

The following year Mooney won the D2 championship, Wadsworth nabbed our QB, and it took the wind out of everyone's sails. Nobody gives a shit anymore. Roster sizes dropped. It's back to being a girl's basketball school. What could be sadder than that?

You're not going to convince me that recruiting other team's football players is a good thing.
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:50 pm

I think they should've have a private school division and a public school division for each level.

I said that for years, but what's the difference between a St Eds and a Massillon? Canton McKinley? It's hard to draw that line.

A stud player goes to Brunswick, how can you say whether that's recruiting or not?
Spin

Unread postby JCEagle » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:34 pm

Teams like Mooney and SVSM recruit the amount of boys they need to stay in their respected divisions. I went to the SVSM/Perry game last week and it was an absolute joke. It looked like a Varsity team playing against the freshmen. They have no business being in D4
JCEagle

Unread postby MACattack » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:03 pm

If you want to see a different look from a new sight. Go to http://www.macattacksports.com

You can see the games head to head, harbin comparisons, coaches, predicted margin of victory.
MACattack

Unread postby Spin » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:25 pm

Very nice page. I love the expanding high school coverage we're getting.
Spin

Unread postby KChmura » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:41 pm

i could of been on the field for the game tonight for the game at bedford. i go there and my AD asked me if i wanted to hold those sound circle things on the field for the game tonight, but i said thanks but no. i told him because it is too cold, but that was just a quick excuse because i was put on the spot. the reason i said no is becausse my niece is having her 2nd birthday party today....family first.
KChmura

Favorite Player: Kevin Kouzmanoff
Least Favorite Player: Rafael Betancourt

Return to High School Sports