Text Size

College Sports Arena

New Furls 15. (10/20/2006)

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

New Furls 15. (10/20/2006)

Unread postby furls » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:46 pm

Dropping the power this week, for the literary value and the honesty factor. There are not 15 powerful teams and I am tired of contributing to Media Hyperbole!

Should be out on the 20th or 21st!
Last edited by furls on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:52 am

LSU falls completely off Furls? In fairness to the Tigers, they rip Rutgers apart at the seams on a neutral field.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:15 am

The Tigers, like Rutgers, lack a definitive win. Neither team has really beaten any very good competition.

The definition of risk is the deviation from the expectation. LSU has been so inconsistant against superior competition that the only thing consistant about their play against the "big dogs" is their inconsistancy. Now, what makes this different than WVU or Louisville is that Rutgers has not looked shoddy or vulnerable while disposing of lesser teams.

LSU is solid, and I think a top twenty team, but I just can't really get behind them until they beat someone. Alabama, Tennessee, and Arkansas loom in the immediate future, if they win two of those games I will be sold. They impressively beat bad teams, but have not faired very well against good cometition.

Now, I think Rutgers is just paying a temporary visit to the Furls 15. This is a transition period, to when I officially dump the rest of the Big Least from the 15.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:26 am

Yeah, 15 teams may be a bit much, especially now that a lot of the pretenders are exposed. Maybe a Power 8....of The Furls Nine....or something silly like that. :D

But, as always, good job.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby GreatGoo » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:17 pm

Damnit!

John L. is slapping himself in the face for not getting on that list!
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby Guest » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:24 am

Bye Clemson

Unread postby Guest » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:10 am

The ACC is a mess

Unread postby furls » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:24 pm

actually, the ACC, Big East, and SEC are a mess. There really isn't a favorite in any of those conferences right now. I cant decide if there just is not an elite team in them, or if there is a lot of parity.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby yargs7 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:45 pm

Furls wrote:actually, the ACC, Big East, and SEC are a mess. There really isn't a favorite in any of those conferences right now. I cant decide if there just is not an elite team in them, or if there is a lot of parity.

I certainly don't think any team from those conferences could beat Ohio St, Meatchicken, USC, or Texas. IMO, to be "elite" you have to show consisitency on both sides of the ball and you have to be able to win a big one on the road. Nobody from those conferences has been able to do that. West Virginia and Louisville haven't had the opportunity to win a big road game yet, so I would put them in the TBD category.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:07 pm

If OSU is in the National Championship game, I really think you are going to see them in a rematch game against Texas or Michigan.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby furls » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:57 pm

I think that you are fundamentally correct, but you should never mention USC in the same breath as those other schools. USC IS NOT GOOD.

I actually had a hard time picking them over Oregon St. I think there is actually a decent chance that they get upset tomorrow. Now just because I said that USC will win by 500.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby yargs7 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:43 am

I assumed since USC was in the "Furls 15" they had to be good? LOL.

In all seriousness, I think it's going to be OSU-TEXAS in the championship game. I said before that Texas is not going to lose another game. Colt McCoy was the wild card and he is playing very well. They seem to have enough talent and luck to overcome Mack Brown's John Cooper syndrome (you know, the dumb calls and that deer in the headlights look when things go bad?).

The more I watch Michigan, the more confident I feel in the Buckeyes beating them soundly on Nov 18th. Their offense is very average. If they are going to rely on their "D" to beat OSU, it ain't gonna happen. Smith and Co are too good. You need to score 24-28 points to beat the Bucks.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Return to College Sports Arena