Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Game of Thrones

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Game of Thrones

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:00 am

justmebd wrote:Improving Book 4 & 5 will not be difficult just by the virtue of adaptation necessitating the cutting extraneous material.

Ditto Brienne's Book 4 storyline being done in an episode, two max.

I think Book 6 will be out next year, but we'll be lucky if Book 7 EVER comes out.

I think the Brienne/Pod adventure can be summed up in one episode in a nice montage to the sound of "Roam" by the B-52's. Or perhaps "Been around the world and I I I, I can't find my Sansa."
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:04 pm

justmebd wrote:I think Book 6 will be out next year, but we'll be lucky if Book 7 EVER comes out.

Yeah, the dude isn't exactly in the best shape. If he does go before book 7 is written, what are the odds someone else writes it based on his notes (assuming he keeps them - and with that many places and characters how could he not)? And IIRC he's already told the HBO showrunners how each character ends up, so there's at least that.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:22 pm

StewieG wrote:
justmebd wrote:I think Book 6 will be out next year, but we'll be lucky if Book 7 EVER comes out.

Yeah, the dude isn't exactly in the best shape. If he does go before book 7 is written, what are the odds someone else writes it based on his notes (assuming he keeps them - and with that many places and characters how could he not)? And IIRC he's already told the HBO showrunners how each character ends up, so there's at least that.

I know from reading interviews with Martin that he does not want anyone else to finish the series for him. That being said, money has a way of making things happen a dead person might otherwise wish.

Also, I think it would depend on how much of Book 7 was done should he expire prior to actually writing "the end." If it's close enough, the publishers would do something to polish it off and get it out there. If it's only partially done, they'll still polish it off and get it out there. If it's just notes . . . . then the money dictates the actions.

Either way, we'll get SOME kind of ending. I think the Universe wants it finished. I feel this way because:

1. Robert Jordan gave his blessing to have Wheel of Time (14 Books of 900-1200 pages a piece) finished by another. (But I stopped reading after Book 9, and the last two books were pure stubbornness on my part. I stopped enjoying the series after Book 6.)

2. Despite drugs, booze, getting hit by a FREAKING VAN and writer's block, Stephen King still managed to finish The Dark Tower (And then added an 8th book a few years ago).

3. Terry Brooks has vowed to "finish" the Shannara series before he dies. Elfstones of Shannara to debut on MTV next year. The show being on MTV really doesn't mean anything other than they want the Game of Thrones audience, so I'm not particularly worried.

4. The only huge unfinished works in the last 150 years(And that's subjective) that immediately come to mind are Charles Dicken's "The Mystery of Edwin Drood," and Tolkien's "The Silmarillion." Of the two, Silmarillion is done in rough draft form, so there is an "ending." And there's Enough of The Silmarillion for Peter Jackson to make at least six movies out of.

I'll stop now.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 am

You guys are really bumming me out with books 4 & 5, I have a few chapters left in book 3, and it's pretty darn good.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:26 pm

justmebd wrote:
StewieG wrote:

I know from reading interviews with Martin that he does not want anyone else to finish the series for him. That being said, money has a way of making things happen a dead person might otherwise wish.

Also, I think it would depend on how much of Book 7 was done should he expire prior to actually writing "the end." If it's close enough, the publishers would do something to polish it off and get it out there. If it's only partially done, they'll still polish it off and get it out there. If it's just notes . . . . then the money dictates the actions.

Either way, we'll get SOME kind of ending. I think the Universe wants it finished. I feel this way because:

1. Robert Jordan gave his blessing to have Wheel of Time (14 Books of 900-1200 pages a piece) finished by another. (But I stopped reading after Book 9, and the last two books were pure stubbornness on my part. I stopped enjoying the series after Book 6.)

2. Despite drugs, booze, getting hit by a FREAKING VAN and writer's block, Stephen King still managed to finish The Dark Tower (And then added an 8th book a few years ago).

3. Terry Brooks has vowed to "finish" the Shannara series before he dies. Elfstones of Shannara to debut on MTV next year. The show being on MTV really doesn't mean anything other than they want the Game of Thrones audience, so I'm not particularly worried.

4. The only huge unfinished works in the last 150 years(And that's subjective) that immediately come to mind are Charles Dicken's "The Mystery of Edwin Drood," and Tolkien's "The Silmarillion." Of the two, Silmarillion is done in rough draft form, so there is an "ending." And there's Enough of The Silmarillion for Peter Jackson to make at least six movies out of.

I'll stop now.

Thanks for the info! I'm glad to know there's at least a chance we'll get the last book if he doesn't finish it.
StewieG

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:29 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:You guys are really bumming me out with books 4 & 5, I have a few chapters left in book 3, and it's pretty darn good.

Book 3 is really good. It's my personal favorite so far. Books 4 and 5 have a much slower pace to them. He follows half the characters in book 4, and the other half in book 5. As a consequence, he drags out information and takes us places that are pointless to see in an effort to have enough chapters for each character. The worst is Brienne's chapters. I liked her character before, but now I hope she runs into her own red wedding.
StewieG

Unread postby justmebd » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:48 pm

StewieG wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:You guys are really bumming me out with books 4 & 5, I have a few chapters left in book 3, and it's pretty darn good.

Book 3 is really good. It's my personal favorite so far. Books 4 and 5 have a much slower pace to them. He follows half the characters in book 4, and the other half in book 5. As a consequence, he drags out information and takes us places that are pointless to see in an effort to have enough chapters for each character. The worst is Brienne's chapters. I liked her character before, but now I hope she runs into her own red wedding.

Yes, this. 300 some pages of Brienne wandering around the countryside and it has ZERO effect on the rest of the story.
justmebd

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:38 pm

StewieG wrote:

Oh, I still like Brienne, just her chapters are useless.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:39 pm

justmebd wrote:

Been a long damn time since I read the Shannara books, but if that's the one with the Reaper, I always thought that was tailor made for screen adaption.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:47 pm

Book 3 is great, maybe the best one (although Book 1 is really good too). Book 4 and 5... if he had an editor that could talk sense to him at that point... combine the 2 books and take out about 500 pages and you have a decent book (still the worst of the series, but much closer to form).

This is something the series can accomplish.
Hikohadon

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:25 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
justmebd wrote:

Been a long damn time since I read the Shannara books, but if that's the one with the Reaper, I always thought that was tailor made for screen adaption.

Yes, that's the one with the Reaper, and it is my favorite of the original trilogy. I've probably read it about seven times.
justmebd

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:26 pm

Hikohadon wrote:

Book 3 is great, maybe the best one (although Book 1 is really good too). Book 4 and 5... if he had an editor that could talk sense to him at that point... combine the 2 books and take out about 500 pages and you have a decent book (still the worst of the series, but much closer to form).

This is something the series can accomplish.

Yes, this.
justmebd

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:02 am

Gar, I swear that I'd watch a whole show called Arya and the Hound.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:11 am

justmebd wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
justmebd wrote:

Yes, that's the one with the Reaper, and it is my favorite of the original trilogy. I've probably read it about seven times.

I can only claim about 4.

They chose wisely. Book 1 is a Lord of the Rings wannabe, but Book 2 has some seriously good action. If you make Book 1 in order to get to Book 2, what you got is a lot of fired mutha fuckas and Book 2 never happens.

I read Wishsong, but I can't say I remember a damn thing about it. That's exactly how good it was.

But the Reaper... that's about as badass a bad guy as you can muster. Too bad it's in the completely incompetent hands of MTV. The demon army will probably look like Pitfall.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:37 pm

Uh... well, they went off the reservation tonight. Hint of what's to come, I think.
Hikohadon

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:16 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Uh... well, they went off the reservation tonight. Hint of what's to come, I think.

Yep, I can't fault the merging of Jon and Bran's storyline, but I can fault just how excessive the violence was at Craster's Keep. It just seemed . . . a bit much.

The last scene was a great addition, probably a "spoiler" from Book 6.
justmebd

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:24 am

Some people are theorizing the reveal we saw at the end of the episode (events that haven't taken place in the books yet) could potentially be a major, major reveal about what's to come.

The link I'm placing has theories that could be major spoilers for both book and show people. It has to do with the name of the character that showed up at the end. If the name is true, and if the speculation is true (it's certainly plausible), then it could reveal an important future plot point.

So again, while it's technically speculation, it's unknown if a certain name was supposed to be revealed. And if the name is true this link might contain spoilers for future plots in both the show and the books. So you've been properly warned.

http://io9.com/this-accidental-game-of- ... 1568796246
StewieG

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:08 am

Finished book 3. Now I have to start 4. I have been known to call uncle in the middle of a series (Hunger Games, Girl with Dragon Tattoo).

I'll let you guys know in about 8 months how it went.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:44 pm

Yeah, I'm usually a pretty quick reader, but those two took me about 4 months to get through. I think this fall though I'm going to try reading through the series again. I'm sure there's a ton I missed that reading a second time would pick up.
StewieG

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:49 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Finished book 3. Now I have to start 4. I have been known to call uncle in the middle of a series (Hunger Games, Girl with Dragon Tattoo).

GoTribe31 has a key somewhere that allows you to read four and five together. You alternate chapters and it keeps the stories and characters together since books 4 and 5 focus on the same time period but with focus on different characters.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:58 pm

http://boiledleather.com/post/259025541 ... rder-for-a

Don't know if that's the same one GoTribe has, but it should work for you.
StewieG

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:59 pm

I am very off-put at the idea of bouncing between books.

I am also off-put by 2000 pages of blah.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:20 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:I am very off-put at the idea of bouncing between books.

I liked it better than if I were to have read each separately.

To each his own.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun May 04, 2014 1:24 am

Erie Warrior wrote:Finished book 3. Now I have to start 4. I have been known to call uncle in the middle of a series (Hunger Games, Girl with Dragon Tattoo).

Why in THE hell did you stop in the middle of Hunger Games?

I know the third book is definitely a departure from the first two, but certainly not a bad read.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun May 04, 2014 1:28 am

peeker643 wrote:

To each his own.

They were meant to be together and some editor fucked the pooch when they allowed GRRM to run roughshod over his own creation.

Combining the two is a good idea, as would be eliminating about 10-15 chapters.
Hikohadon

Unread postby justmebd » Sun May 04, 2014 10:43 am

Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

To each his own.

They were meant to be together and some editor fucked the pooch when they allowed GRRM to run roughshod over his own creation.

Combining the two is a good idea, as would be eliminating about 10-15 chapters.

Agreed, I would've cut every Brienne chapter and told him to publish it as an Ebook. You wouldn't "miss" anything in the overarching plot.

But that's what happens to bestselling authors, nobody tells them what to do anymore. (Yes, I'm jealous)
justmebd

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu May 15, 2014 12:57 am

"Off the rails" is an accurate description of this season. Most of what has happened wasn't in the books.

***Spoiler Alert*** Don't read beyond this if you haven't read the books.

Clearly, Shae testifying against Tyrion is a ploy to make when Tyrion kills her more palatable. Just offing her as he did in the book would make him less redeemable. Offing her now? Good for him.

Also find it interesting that the duel between Oberyn and the Mountain will now likely be for Tyrion's life... way off the reservation, but fun.

And can't wait until Tyrion puts a bolt through his father's gut while sitting on the loo. Ah, the YouTube reactions that will follow. Has to be the 9th episode, though, since apparently that's when all the big shit happens.
Hikohadon

Unread postby StewieG » Thu May 15, 2014 11:29 am

The last scene last week, when Tyrion was just railing on everyone was really important. It needs to give various characters motivation for what they eventually have to do. Dinklage needed to nail it, and I thought he did.

BOOK SPOILERS - Don't read past this if you haven't read the books

I thought Tyrion had similar motivations in the book for killing Shae...it was at least in part because of what she said at his trial (though her whoring to his father certainly didn't help). And wasn't the battle between Oberyn and the Mountain already for Tyrion's life? At least that's how I remember it.
StewieG

Unread postby cozmeesah » Thu May 15, 2014 9:03 pm

Yeah...

BOOK SPOILERS BELOW.....

Shae testified against him in the book as well. And the Red Viper/Mountain fight was the same in the book also, as Tyrion's trial by combat with Oberyn as Tyrion's champion.

By the way, Episode 9 this season will be like Blackwater was for S2, only one location shown. It will be the Battle at the Wall and nothing else.
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri May 16, 2014 12:40 pm

OK, my memory must be heading south, since I certainly didn't remember Shae testifying. Must re-read that part.
Hikohadon

Unread postby justmebd » Sat May 17, 2014 9:14 am

Don't feel bad, I read Book Three about 10 years ago and I haven't had the time to go back and reread it, so I'm having fun not remembering exactly where the show has gone off-book. (For the most part, the rape scene was a little . . . odd)
justmebd

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:15 pm

I knew what was coming, and that scene was still brutal.
StewieG

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:25 am

Fucking awesome. And it looks like Sansa is beginning to heed Cersi's words of advice. Little slut.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Doc » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:39 am

Wow. That was intense.

This was an incredible episode. Start to finish. The Arya bit was gold.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Arya and the Hound scenes are great fun to watch.

And yeah, Sansa's starting to learn to play the game.
StewieG

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:59 pm

Some tidbits:

"Darth Sansa" appears to be her new Internet name.

"The Alternate Ending To The Princess Bride" is how the Mountain vs. The Viper is being described.

I admit, I couldn't help but think of Inigo Montoya while watching that scene.
justmebd

Previous

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture