Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Jackets 2014

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Jackets 2014

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:59 am

Shootout win last night has put Columbus in the 8th seed, just 3 points behind three teams above them and they have played fewer games than each of them

They are also the only team in the conference with a plus goal differential outside the top 4 seeds.

I like the trajectory this jackets team is on
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Re: Jackets 2014

Unread postby bac5665 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:31 pm

I'm excited. Once/if we get actually healthy, I think we'll be back to where we left off last season. Should be a fun second half here for the second year in a row.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:58 pm

So much good about this team right now , all it took for them was to get allittle healthy. 7 in a Row tonight, franchise record. Big difference between this year and last is the Offense has shown up, now Bob doesn't have the fate of the team squarely riding on his shoulders.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:55 am

Can't complain about 7 in a row.

So, people who actually know hockey, where do you think we end up? What's the ceiling here, what's the floor?
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:59 pm

bac5665 wrote:Can't complain about 7 in a row.

So, people who actually know hockey, where do you think we end up? What's the ceiling here, what's the floor?

8th seed, first round playoff loss to Pittsburgh, sweep or 4-1, just sayin'.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:58 pm

Nah, I reckon the Jackets grab 5th seed

They are only 2 points of the 7th and 6th seed and they have played 3 fewer than those teams.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:30 pm

bac5665 wrote:Can't complain about 7 in a row.

Getting Gaborik back in March should help them offensively. He'll also add another leader in the room for the stretch run. I still think they're a defenseman short of being a serious contender. Preferably a guy that has a lot of experience in killing penalties.

If Bobrovsky is playing at the top of his game, they can upset a better team. We'll see how he does in the Olympics, which will either be a big confidence booster or a sizable letdown in front of the home crowd, especially since he spurned the KHL to stay in North America.

Being healthy outside of Gaborik helps a great deal. Horton's had an impact. Wisniewski has stayed healthy this season. Ryan Murray's been very good in his first full season. They're going to in the right direction. We'll see if Kekalainen and Davidson make an impact move at the trade deadline.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:14 am

8 in a row, and another 3 goal margin victory

Jackets are only 3 points off the 4th seed
It's not inconceivable to see them take the second seed (8 points behind) if they keep playing this way and get guys healthy.
Jackets have the fourth best goal differential in the conference

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:36 pm

It took an extended winning streak for there to be any activity in this thread, bunch of front runners ;-) ;) :wink:
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby Govbarney » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:29 pm

I didn't want to start a thread for fear of jinxing the streak.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:59 pm

And I'm British

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Govbarney » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:17 am

Freaky night, Bob gives up 2 short hands.... and Miller has 30 saves... Sometimes it just ain't meant to be.
Monday against Carolina is HUGE , got to see how this team bounces back.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:46 am

Govbarney wrote:Freaky night, Bob gives up 2 short hands.... and Miller has 30 saves... Sometimes it just ain't meant to be.

What's freaky about Miller having 30 saves, he's having a good year, Buffalo's d is so terrible, it's no surprise when he has 45 shots on him any given night.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:04 am

TouchEmAllTime wrote:
Govbarney wrote:Freaky night, Bob gives up 2 short hands.... and Miller has 30 saves... Sometimes it just ain't meant to be.

What's freaky about Miller having 30 saves, he's having a good year, Buffalo's d is so terrible, it's no surprise when he has 45 shots on him any given night.

It was actually 36-17 in saves, we lived in Buffalo's zone, Miller was off the charts, he plays like that in the Olympics and the USA will have a fun ride. The freaky part had more to do with the two short hands given up by Bob.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:53 pm

Govbarney wrote:
TouchEmAllTime wrote:

It was actually 36-17 in saves, we lived in Buffalo's zone, Miller was off the charts, he plays like that in the Olympics and the USA will have a fun ride. The freaky part had more to do with the two short hands given up by Bob.

I hope he can carry them like in 2010, because the US isn't built to score.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:14 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:
Govbarney wrote:
TouchEmAllTime wrote:

Why? Because they didn't take Bobby Ryan?

The US team should be fine offensively. There's plenty of skill with Kessel, Oshie, Pavelski, Parise, Kane, Stastny, van Riemsdyk, etc. They also have playmakers on defense with guys that are going to make a good first pass out of the zone and carry it when necessary.

I like the US roster. It has a lot of players that will commit to playing in all three zones. If I have a concern about the roster, it's speed at forward. But they sacrificed speed for guys to bang in the deep corners on the wider international surface.

Not sure they'll play for gold again, but I think they're definitely a medal contender.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:47 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
TouchEmAllTime wrote:
Govbarney wrote:
TouchEmAllTime wrote:

Why? Because they didn't take Bobby Ryan?

The US team should be fine offensively. There's plenty of skill with Kessel, Oshie, Pavelski, Parise, Kane, Stastny, van Riemsdyk, etc. They also have playmakers on defense with guys that are going to make a good first pass out of the zone and carry it when necessary.

I like the US roster. It has a lot of players that will commit to playing in all three zones. If I have a concern about the roster, it's speed at forward. But they sacrificed speed for guys to bang in the deep corners on the wider international surface.

Not sure they'll play for gold again, but I think they're definitely a medal contender.

Actually I would have liked to have seen Kyle Okposo get on the team, but no way Disco Dan was taking an Islander. And there are a couple semi elite scorers (Kane, Parise), I guess the roster just didn't jump out at me on paper. My first prediction was no medal, but if they get some goalending, a bronze might be possible. Miller is having a pretty good year. Edit: I need to add Kessel to that list too haha.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:59 pm

Pens in five.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:00 am

Want to revise that prediction now? :)
I know they can still win it in 5 but really...

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Return to The Neutral Zone