Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Mad Men

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Mad Men

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:17 pm

Ah, the 60's, when you could just smoke a joint at work in the middle of the day.

Pete needed that hit, he's wound way too tight. Since there's no way they have him off himself, maybe he becomes a burnout and gets some deadly venereal disease.

Ah, the 60's, when there were no deadly venereal diseases to speak of.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:59 pm

FUDU wrote:What is going to be the ultimate fate for Pete when this show ends?

I wouldn't rule out suicide, seeing as he never gets his way and is seems less and less content with life as the shows progresses, but they've already done that with Lane so that is a long shot IMO.

Ted's right hand man seems hell bent on firing a Sterling Cooper guy, Roger has never liked Pete, Don tires of Pete quickly, does he get booted? Does he return fire in a dramatic way?

Weiner's on record as saying he can't see Pete ever comitting suicide.

When are Joan and Pegi going out on their own as a pioneeruing female run agency? Only a matter of time. Sisters be doin it for themselves.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Ah, the 60's, when you could just smoke a joint at work in the middle of the day.

Pete needed that hit, he's wound way too tight. Since there's no way they have him off himself, maybe he becomes a burnout and gets some deadly venereal disease.

Ah, the 60's, when there were no deadly venereal diseases to speak of.

Ah the 60's. When technology and an uncompetitive world economy made the pace of work an unstressful joke and all you had to do was roll out of the rack and make money.
jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Aklways knew DD would get busted. But um, wow. Not that way.
jb

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:49 pm

"I was comforting Mrs. Rosen"
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:45 am

He's a disappointment to everyone he meets.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jerryroche » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:01 am

jb wrote:Always knew DD would get busted. But um, wow. Not that way.

How contrived was that scene? What are the chances that Sally would just drop in unannounced when her dad was banging Mrs. Rosen? It boggles the mind.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:10 pm

That scene was legit, Sally had a reason for wanting to go snooping around in that apartment.

The scene was almost perfect, and it was a long time coming, Sally was pretty much the only woman left on Earth that didn't know Don was a pig.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:04 pm

FUDU wrote:That scene was legit, Sally had a reason for wanting to go snooping around in that apartment.

The scene was almost perfect, and it was a long time coming, Sally was pretty much the only woman left on Earth that didn't know Don was a pig.

That scene could be seen from space once the doorman gave Sally the keys the first time.
Hikohadon

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
FUDU wrote:That scene was legit, Sally had a reason for wanting to go snooping around in that apartment.

That scene could be seen from space once the doorman gave Sally the keys the first time.

Chekhov's Apartment Keys
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:32 pm

Hikohadon wrote:

You say that like you're better than doormen, is that what you think, that you're better than doormen?

FUDU

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:41 pm

The disgusted bed punch by Sylvia after getting busted was an excellent 5 seconds of acting.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:43 am

FUDU wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

You say that like you're better than doormen, is that what you think, that you're better than doormen?

Seinfeld?
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:44 am

swerb wrote:The disgusted bed punch by Sylvia after getting busted was an excellent 5 seconds of acting.

Agree, thought that was fantastic in an otherwise contrived situation.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:04 pm

jerryroche wrote:
jb wrote:Always knew DD would get busted. But um, wow. Not that way.

How contrived was that scene? What are the chances that Sally would just drop in unannounced when her dad was banging Mrs. Rosen? It boggles the mind.

Not following.

Expound?
jb

Unread postby DrPoove » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:16 pm

So Bob Benson is pulling a Draper.

Ted is thinking with his dick and not hiding it at all.

Everyone hates Don now, especially Peggy.

After the first few episodes, I thought there's be no way "thinks would work out" for Pete. Can he fuck it up in the finale?
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:16 am

I'm in Season Three right now.

I know, it's criminal I'm so behind on this show.

Having seen the GIFs, I can't wait to see Pete get punched out in Season Five, and the full context of Don's "Wah, wah, wah" from last night.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:27 pm

DrPoove wrote:So Bob Benson is pulling a Draper.

Ted is thinking with his dick and not hiding it at all.

Everyone hates Don now, especially Peggy.

After the first few episodes, I thought there's be no way "thinks would work out" for Pete. Can he fuck it up in the finale?

I think Don has felt the need to compete for Peggy's respect ever since the merger, also I think he feels he doesn't get enough credit for how Peggy turned out.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:12 am

Don is supposed to be loathed. But he hates himself more. He's projecting Sally on Peggy& taking his own self loathing out on Ted.

Show started & ended with him in the fetal position.
jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:46 am

Only Weiner could waste a whole damn season and use it as a set up for one king hell finale. Wow.

DD systematically went down the drain hard core self=destructive DD all season only to hit bottom and stand at the cross-roads' cliff hanger fo whether he'll end up on the path of redemption and honesty at all costs or he'll just crumble into death or a living death. It's all tee'd up to go one way or another. Sally and Peggy are there for him to rebuild and guide back as his biological and professional daughters and he's the only one who can, Megan's hitherto almost unconditional and yet scorned love is strained to the breaking point seeing him theu the lens of his pre-clarity DD but you know she's not done, and the one thing that sustained him - his professional carer - is probably done with SCDP etc until they can buy him out. Will he go into some sort of "one-desk" public service stuff ala the cigarette editorial as part of redemption?

Or is this all a tease and he's in bed with Peggy at the start of next season as she's enters the dark side with abandon?

The alcohlic/addicts life is not destroyed by the substance. That's the symptom and solution, not the desease. The desease is terminal selfishness and paralyzing fear. Don is showing signs of trasncendance but he's on his own. As they say, he wants to want to get better. Is it enough?

The Hershey's scene was the ultimate mind fuck by Weiner. We're reliving the Kodak Carosel moment and then he looks at Ted and blows it up as if right then he hit his moment of clarity.

Crazy good stuff. Why I watch.

And the season closes with th elevator doors before he shows the kids the ho house.

Most interesting side bar revelation to me: now we know why DD was so good at what he did. His creative ad talents were all a result iof him fantasizing a new and different life and conjuring up memories he never had.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:44 pm

Still don't count out Don getting back together with Betty. Ted's situation brought some perspective to Don when Ted made mention of how many lives he would be ruining if he stayed near Peggy, IMO that hit home with Don.

Loved the fact that Don took his kids to see the house he grew up in, it's going to impact Sally next season.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:51 pm

I had an epiphany.

DD leaves Madison Ave, goes west, finds enlightenment, deals with his past and present, attains some measure and devotes himself to non-profit ads. the last show closes with him pitching this idea:

jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:13 pm

jb

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:06 pm

I swear, Weiner and all the rest of the writers must have PhDs in psychiatry. The damn' characters are so emotionally complicated, every one of them. And Don Draper is a cypher: as much as we know now of his background, we can't possibly guess what he's going to do next.

There's a reason the Writers Guild of America voted "Mad Men" the seventh-best-written TV show of all time:
1. The Sopranos
2. Seinfeld
3. The Twilight Zone (1959)
4. All in the Family
5. M*A*S*H
6. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
7. Mad Men

Wouldn't be a bit surprised if it moved up a few spots after the final season.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:54 pm

jerryroche wrote:I swear, Weiner and all the rest of the writers must have PhDs in psychiatry. The damn' characters are so emotionally complicated, every one of them. And Don Draper is a cypher: as much as we know now of his background, we can't possibly guess what he's going to do next.

There's a reason the Writers Guild of America voted "Mad Men" the seventh-best-written TV show of all time:
1. The Sopranos
2. Seinfeld
4. All in the Family
5. M*A*S*H
7. Mad Men

6 of thre 7 were tremendous, groundbreaking shows.

But MASH?

It was an OK/funny adaptation of a film classic at first. When Alda hijacked Hawkeye's character and took him from nihilist to political pacifist it changed the whole tenor of the work.

The series jumped the shark the nanosecond Harry Morgan stepped foot on the set and became completely unwatchable when Wayne Rogers left the cast. For some reason it has this beloved status when it was a "meh" show for years. It played on the mauldren emotions of dorks.

Then again, don't ask me about "Friends".

MASH also strikes a pet peeve of mine, namely 70's shows that started as period pieces and then ran as such with everyone morphing into 70's fashion styles. Happy Days did the same thing. Stupid.
jb

Unread postby justmebd » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:54 pm

jb wrote:
jerryroche wrote:I swear, Weiner and all the rest of the writers must have PhDs in psychiatry. The damn' characters are so emotionally complicated, every one of them. And Don Draper is a cypher: as much as we know now of his background, we can't possibly guess what he's going to do next.

1. The Sopranos
2. Seinfeld
4. All in the Family
5. M*A*S*H
7. Mad Men

6 of thre 7 were tremendous, groundbreaking shows.

But MASH?

It was an OK/funny adaptation of a film classic at first. When Alda hijacked Hawkeye's character and took him from nihilist to political pacifist it changed the whole tenor of the work.

The series jumped the shark the nanosecond Harry Morgan stepped foot on the set and became completely unwatchable when Wayne Rogers left the cast. For some reason it has this beloved status when it was a "meh" show for years. It played on the mauldren emotions of dorks.

Then again, don't ask me about "Friends".

MASH also strikes a pet peeve of mine, namely 70's shows that started as period pieces and then ran as such with everyone morphing into 70's fashion styles. Happy Days did the same thing. Stupid.

Couldn't agree with this more.

Also, don't ask me my thoughts on "Friends."
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:15 pm

jb wrote:Only Weiner could waste a whole damn season and use it as a set up for one king hell finale. Wow.

DD systematically went down the drain hard core self=destructive DD all season only to hit bottom and stand at the cross-roads' cliff hanger fo whether he'll end up on the path of redemption and honesty at all costs or he'll just crumble into death or a living death. It's all tee'd up to go one way or another. Sally and Peggy are there for him to rebuild and guide back as his biological and professional daughters and he's the only one who can, Megan's hitherto almost unconditional and yet scorned love is strained to the breaking point seeing him theu the lens of his pre-clarity DD but you know she's not done, and the one thing that sustained him - his professional carer - is probably done with SCDP etc until they can buy him out. Will he go into some sort of "one-desk" public service stuff ala the cigarette editorial as part of redemption?

Or is this all a tease and he's in bed with Peggy at the start of next season as she's enters the dark side with abandon?

The alcohlic/addicts life is not destroyed by the substance. That's the symptom and solution, not the desease. The desease is terminal selfishness and paralyzing fear. Don is showing signs of trasncendance but he's on his own. As they say, he wants to want to get better. Is it enough?

The Hershey's scene was the ultimate mind fuck by Weiner. We're reliving the Kodak Carosel moment and then he looks at Ted and blows it up as if right then he hit his moment of clarity.

And the season closes with th elevator doors before he shows the kids the ho house.

Most interesting side bar revelation to me: now we know why DD was so good at what he did. His creative ad talents were all a result iof him fantasizing a new and different life and conjuring up memories he never had.

Oh, Jesus H Christ.

The final episode was one of the best of a bad season. It wasn't Casablanca, Shakespeare.

It was, however, the first time I've ever thought Peggy looked hot.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:01 pm

FUDU wrote:Still don't count out Don getting back together with Betty.

Great. The most uninteresting relationship ever, Part Deux.

I guess the idea wouldn't be so repellent to me if January Jones could act her way out of a wet cardboard box. And if this show was on HBO.

I thought Roger had some great moments in that last episode, and Peggy's reaction to Ted's moving was excellent. Weird end to the Pete's mom fiasco. Not sure where they're going with Bob Benson, but him embarrassing Pete with the Chevy people was classic.

Megan kind of became a useless character this season, so I don't mind that they're obviously going to reduce her role. And very glad they threw in more Sally at the end - if Don is to have any salvation (for me) it will be through his kids. I'm nonplussed about his alcoholism, but man is he a shitty father.

Oh, PS, please write Ginsberg the fuck off the show, every scene with him in it this season was contrived and painful to watch.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:41 am

Hikohadon wrote:
jb wrote:Only Weiner could waste a whole damn season and use it as a set up for one king hell finale. Wow.

Oh, Jesus H Christ.

The final episode was one of the best of a bad season. It wasn't Casablanca, Shakespeare.

It was, however, the first time I've ever thought Peggy looked hot.

My fervent hope for you is that you had the Sam's Club box of Cherrios on hand this weekend so that when you poured out the bowl someone pissed in you still were able to have breakfast. It's the most important meal of the day you know.
jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:44 am

FUDU wrote:Still don't count out Don getting back together with Betty. Ted's situation brought some perspective to Don when Ted made mention of how many lives he would be ruining if he stayed near Peggy, IMO that hit home with Don.

Loved the fact that Don took his kids to see the house he grew up in, it's going to impact Sally next season.

IDK that Don looks back that way. He may love the idea of Betty and the kids, but I think he's pretty reralistic about where he's at.
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:40 pm

jb wrote:
FUDU wrote:Still don't count out Don getting back together with Betty. Ted's situation brought some perspective to Don when Ted made mention of how many lives he would be ruining if he stayed near Peggy, IMO that hit home with Don.

IDK that Don looks back that way. He may love the idea of Betty and the kids, but I think he's pretty reralistic about where he's at.

Agree. You may want to bang your ex-wife, but you never ever ever want to get back together with her.
Hikohadon

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:59 pm

Since I can't bump Betty I'll just bump this.

FUDU

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:18 pm

I didn't even realize this was back on.

I was planning on forgoing the show go-forward, but since this is apparently the last season, I might as well watch it. It's like that thing you don't really want anymore but since you invested so much time in it seems like a waste to just toss it on the curb.

At least I'll finally be done with it.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:41 am

Hikohadon wrote:I didn't even realize this was back on.

I was planning on forgoing the show go-forward, but since this is apparently the last season, I might as well watch it. It's like that thing you don't really want anymore but since you invested so much time in it seems like a waste to just toss it on the curb.

They're splitting the last 'season' over two seasons. So there are really two half seasons left.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:57 am

Sea Foam Green wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:I didn't even realize this was back on.

They're splitting the last 'season' over two seasons. So there are really two half seasons left.

Ah, so it's OK to go ahead and not watch either. Excellent.

I figure I'll end up watching the last season/two halves at some point on Netflix, maybe when I have more time and have already caught up on shows that interest me more.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:09 pm

I must have ADD or something, when it comes to TV shows.

Stopped watching Dexter, GoT, Mad Men, Eastbound & Down, Homeland, Ray Donovan, The Killing, etc., all before the series ended or in mid stream.

At some point they each lost me for whatever reason. At some point the desire to continue simply stopped.

Only Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy have held my attention and SoA I go to intermittently and haven't caught up yet. Don't know why I haven't completely quit on SoA as I find Jax to be about the least believable tough guy, badass biker since Pee Wee Herman danced on the bar, but Mrs. Bundy is terrific and the show keeps my interest for whatever reason.

BB is the only one in years that I felt compelled to watch one after the other and couldn't stop watching.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:15 pm

peeker643 wrote:I must have ADD or something, when it comes to TV shows.

Stopped watching Dexter, GoT, Mad Men, Eastbound & Down, Homeland, Ray Donovan, The Killing, etc., all before the series ended or in mid stream.

At some point they each lost me for whatever reason. At some point the desire to continue simply stopped.

Only Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy have held my attention and SoA I go to intermittently and haven't caught up yet. Don't know why I haven't completely quit on SoA as I find Jax to be about the least believable tough guy, badass biker since Pee Wee Herman danced on the bar, but Mrs. Bundy is terrific and the show keeps my interest for whatever reason.

BB is the only one in years that I felt compelled to watch one after the other and couldn't stop watching.

Your pretty much a complete asshole who nobody likes, but the truth is you really are terrific sometimes.

I haven't quit on Sons yet either, even though that show hasn't actually been good since season 2. I can't quite explain it either.

I'm surprised you quit on GoT, but the other ones you mentioned (aside from Eastbound) pretty much sucked from early on or had a few good seasons and then shit the bed (according to what I've read).
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun May 04, 2014 1:31 am

Never watched an episode of Sons of Anarchy, not sure if I ever will. Guess I should check out an episode or two to see if there's anything there, but certainly am in no damn hurry to watch a biker gang series.

ETA - Though I understand the concept of watching a series even way after it jumped the shark, as I did with Dexter, watching every season though most of them post-Season 2 blew goats (Season 4 was really solid though).
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon May 05, 2014 11:01 am

Hikohadon wrote:Never watched an episode of Sons of Anarchy, not sure if I ever will. Guess I should check out an episode or two to see if there's anything there, but certainly am in no damn hurry to watch a biker gang series.

ETA - Though I understand the concept of watching a series even way after it jumped the shark, as I did with Dexter, watching every season though most of them post-Season 2 blew goats (Season 4 was really solid though).

Honestly too, it's somewhat like BB in that I can't watch more than an episode or two in a row without being affected by it.

It's violent, ugly, depressing at times, etc. BB I knew it and it was so good I didn't care. SoA isn't as good though the premise is good, Katey Sagal is ridiculously good and it hasn't jumped shark yet for me although I could see some saying the cartel storyline may have done it for them.

BB was great TV. Sons is better than a lot of shit out there and I'm still slogging through. I think I'm at S5 E6 or so.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby StewieG » Mon May 19, 2014 11:20 am

I'm still watching this show mostly to see how it ends. It hasn't been really strong in awhile now (though the season premiere did have some nice moments with Don and Sally). But this last episode was really strong. First episode in awhile that gets my hyped to watch the next one.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Previous

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture