Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Browns hire Pettine OFFICIAL

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Browns hire Pettine OFFICIAL

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:47 pm

Well the Browns have finally settled on their 9th choice for the HC job. Sigh

PRESS CONFERENCE 4:45PM YOUR TIME

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... e-as-coach
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Re: Browns hire Pettine OFFICIAL

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:52 pm

Oh wait...he's just been fired

news conference at 5pm
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:28 pm

He's no more or less bleh than any of the other guys they were thinking about hiring. It's all about results.

Hopefully keeping Farmer includes an extended paid vacation for Lombardi.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:48 pm

Hikohadon wrote:He's no more or less bleh than any of the other guys they were thinking about hiring. It's all about results.

Hopefully keeping Farmer includes an extended paid vacation for Lombardi.

Yeah. He seems OK and everything. Hopefully it works out.

Too bad they didn't just hire the dude 3 weeks ago.

The Three Stooges are still a bunch of incompetent asshats. Maybe the fact that they didn't really want him will work in their favor. Kinda like when Costanza did the opposite of whatever he thought he should do.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby bac5665 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:41 pm

The lack of excitement around the internet is deafening.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:59 pm

At least he runs a 3-4 hybrid. There would have been riots if we were switching back to the 4-3. Let's hope he has some input in the draft because these chuckleheads couldn't pick up a cold in the doctors office.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:13 pm

This dude is getting skewered nationally. "he's their 6th choice", "he's just a guy", "a very vanilla signing", "the only guy who would take the job", "Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton were no name coordinators when they were hired too"

I feel bad for him. I hope it pisses him off and he turns that into some on-field production.

Remember fellas, any coach the Browns have hired in the past 13 years- whether you hated him or loved him- won 4-6 games.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:22 am

Anybody else notice that Banner wasn't wearing a Browns logo anywhere during the presser today, and when they fired chud.
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:01 am

Only question, is he a improvement over Chud? I don't know the answer to that, and of course only time will tell, but I will say this. Carolina fans where not nearly as pissed last year, as Buffalo fans are this year. Thurman Thomas was flat out irate that Pettine was leaving the bills organization. I dont recall any irate former players (or current) in Carolina crying over Chuds departure.
Also Pettine left the Bills on a high note, Buffalo for all its flaws had a good Defense this season (much better then the Browns). When Chud left Carolina he left it on a low note, the Carolina Offense had taken some large steps back in '12, and there where multiple Carolina Offensive players this year who pinned the units resurgence on Chuds departure.
All things being equal, and Chud was never hired and fired by the Browns, and both where before you as HC candidates, and all you had to go off was their resume who would you choose?
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:01 am

kman_holla8 wrote:Anybody else notice that Banner wasn't wearing a Browns logo anywhere during the presser today, and when they fired chud.

Huh?

:bunny:

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:06 am

bookelly wrote:
kman_holla8 wrote:Anybody else notice that Banner wasn't wearing a Browns logo anywhere during the presser today, and when they fired chud.

Huh?

:bunny:

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:13 am

Govbarney wrote:Only question, is he a improvement over Chud? I don't know the answer to that, and of course only time will tell, but I will say this. Carolina fans where not nearly as pissed last year, as Buffalo fans are this year. Thurman Thomas was flat out irate that Pettine was leaving the bills organization. I dont recall any irate former players (or current) in Carolina crying over Chuds departure.
Also Pettine left the Bills on a high note, Buffalo for all its flaws had a good Defense this season (much better then the Browns). When Chud left Carolina he left it on a low note, the Carolina Offense had taken some large steps back in '12, and there where multiple Carolina Offensive players this year who pinned the units resurgence on Chuds departure.
All things being equal, and Chud was never hired and fired by the Browns, and both where before you as HC candidates, and all you had to go off was their resume who would you choose?

You're right. Who the hell knows? Hiring coordinators is such a crapshoot.

I like that he's been a coordinator for a few years and has had success and it's a reason I like him better than Gase. Does it mean anything? Who knows.

He seems like a competent dude. At least as competent as every other untested coordinator who has been hired as a first time HC.

One thing that I like is that he clearly wasn't the guy Lombanner wanted...so that's gotta be a good sign, right?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:51 pm

I liked the fact he said he wanted to run schemes that fit the talent he currently has, and not do the old "WELP, GOTTA TEAR THIS DOWN"-act we've seen from the Belichick-clones we've seen in the past.

Of course that could be lip service, but if he's sincere? That's a plus. That may help us speed up this "rebuilding" garbage quite a bit.

You at least have a guy that doesn't appear to scare players off. The rumored hirings of Schiano or McDaniels would have likely been a final nail in the coffin for that.

Next step is attempting to retain talent. I'm not sure how you do that, but you need to make sure Mack and Ward on this roster next year. You have SIX PRO BOWLERS. Let's keep them in house.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Spin » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:41 pm

Triple-S wrote:I liked the fact he said he wanted to run schemes that fit the talent he currently has, and not do the old "WELP, GOTTA TEAR THIS DOWN"-act we've seen from the Belichick-clones we've seen in the past.

That was the one thing I got out of the presser.

The one question I have, is just what are our offensive strengths? Can't run, can't catch, and the one QB (who should remain on the roster) has two starts.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:28 pm

Spin wrote:
Triple-S wrote:I liked the fact he said he wanted to run schemes that fit the talent he currently has, and not do the old "WELP, GOTTA TEAR THIS DOWN"-act we've seen from the Belichick-clones we've seen in the past.

That was the one thing I got out of the presser.

The one question I have, is just what are our offensive strengths? Can't run, can't catch, and the one QB (who should remain on the roster) has two starts.

An O-line that is one re-sign and one guard away from elite. A PB TE. A (hopeful) return of Dion Lewis and that kid Baker. A (hopeful) return of a winning QB in Hoyer who can mentor ??? draft pick. A PB stud receiver.

/Somebody, kill me...I can't believe I'm getting a pulse for this team. Just put me down. :loadof:

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby pod2dawg » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:28 pm

^^^^ Well we know we have a LT, a C we need to sign, TE, & a WR. Hopefully, the Stooge crew can fill in many of the blanks with 10 f^%&cking draft picks & the 2nd most $$$ available to sign some free agents.............I know...I know......don't be ridiculous.....
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL