Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

The 2014 Offseason Thread

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: The 2014 Offseason Thread

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:21 pm

Baseball salaries have been excessive for a long time now but $130M for 7 years of Choo seems like crazy money...about $18M/year for Choo? For that kind of money you think you could land a franchise cornerstone to build a club around.

I like Choo's cannon arm and OPB and he does many things well but I have never seen him carry a team like a franchise player should.

I do love seeing him sign for $10M less than the Yankees offered him due to him and Boras trying to negotiate for more. So does Boras have to reduce his commission to offset the $10M difference between the Yankees original offer and what he ended up taking from Texas?

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Choo is an incredibly valuable hitter in Texas. Good conditions should help his power. He walks a lot. Has a good lineup to hit in. Ball carries really well to RF so a lot of things hit over his head will either be gone or automatic doubles.

Good landing spot for him. Better value than the 7/126 that Jayson Werth got a few winters ago.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby The Score » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:51 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:Baseball salaries have been excessive for a long time now but $130M for 7 years of Choo seems like crazy money...about $18M/year for Choo? For that kind of money you think you could land a franchise cornerstone to build a club around.

I like Choo's cannon arm and OPB and he does many things well but I have never seen him carry a team like a franchise player should.

I do love seeing him sign for $10M less than the Yankees offered him due to him and Boras trying to negotiate for more. So does Boras have to reduce his commission to offset the $10M difference between the Yankees original offer and what he ended up taking from Texas?

Choo will bring home slightly more in Texas at 130 than he would in NY at 140 due to no state income tax.

Better deal for Choo, less commission for Boras.
The Score

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:41 pm

The Score wrote:
YahooFanChicago wrote:Baseball salaries have been excessive for a long time now but $130M for 7 years of Choo seems like crazy money...about $18M/year for Choo? For that kind of money you think you could land a franchise cornerstone to build a club around.

Choo will bring home slightly more in Texas at 130 than he would in NY at 140 due to no state income tax.

Better deal for Choo, less commission for Boras.

Think of all the endorsement money he's missing out on by not playing in NY. He should have gone to the Yanks if money was the 1st concern. I have to think that the numbers he's gonna put up in Arlington had to be a factor.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:47 pm

bookelly wrote:Think of all the endorsement money he's missing out on by not playing in NY. He should have gone to the Yanks if money was the 1st concern. I have to think that the numbers he's gonna put up in Arlington had to be a factor.

His family lives in Arizona and they reportedly had an offer on the table for him as well. I don't know if he wanted to play closer to them or if the tax thing played a factor. Maybe he didn't want to play in NYC. He's not really the kind of guy who wants to be in the limelight.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Chris Perez signs with the Dodgers. I'm sure he and Peek's favorite player Zack Greinke will get along well.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby 1Perry » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Looks like he will be used for middle relief.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/stor ... hris-perez

Less pressure I suppose.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:36 am

Depending on his effectiveness, 2.3M with closing experience is a decent little deal for the Dodgers. Pitching in LA, SD, and SF should limit the HRs he allows. He won't be nagged by the media with the other big names on the club and a lot of people are smoking pot out there. It's good fit for him and I wish him success. No animosity towards him.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:13 pm

A lot of people smoke pot everywhere. Good division though, with those gigantic, pitcher friendly ballparks. This is also good news for my blood pressure.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:58 pm

He can smoke legally now. Wasn't he getting the stuff from SoCal anyway?

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:08 pm

F him
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:27 am

David Laurila of Fangraphs did a Q&A with 2013 first round pick Clint Frazier: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/qa-clint ... -prospect/
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:12 pm

Indians among suitors for Luis Ayala
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:43 pm

Indians sign RHP Scott Atchison to a minor league deal with Spring Training invite. Reportedly close to signing Jeff Francoeur to the same.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Pabo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:43 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Indians sign RHP Scott Atchison to a minor league deal with Spring Training invite. Reportedly close to signing Jeff Francoeur to the same.

Wow!
Bottom 4th: Cleveland
- J. Kipnis grounded out to shortstop
- A. Cabrera doubled to deep left
- N. Swisher doubled to center, A. Cabrera scored
- J. Giambi doubled to deep right center, N. Swisher to third, N. Swisher out at home
- J. Giambi caught stealing, catcher to third

1 run, 3 hits, 0 errors
Pabo

Favorite Player: Jason Giambi
Least Favorite Player: Joe Haden

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:19 am

Someone help me with Francoeur- I know it's low risk, but there isn't a MiLB outfield they have that can hit .200 in the bigs? What's Naquin doing?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:00 am

Probably, but depth is never a bad thing. Don't have to waste an option year if you need an OF with a guy like Francoeur around. Reportedly one of the nicest guys in baseball, so maybe they just want to have him around camp. I don't know. It's not really a noteworthy move by any means.

As I recently wrote about, the Indians are big on platoon advantages, as we know. Frenchy's .285/.335/.465/.800 career v. LHP. Just turning 30 this season. They've made worse depth signings and minor league deals before.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Pressrunnr » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:38 am

Sorry if someone else posted this -- saw it awhile ago and thought it was funny:
http://twicsy.com/i/g4jRBe
Pressrunnr

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:31 pm

Jamey Carroll close to signing with an unspecified team. I'm sure McPeek is furiously refreshing Twitter to see which one.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:50 pm

@bnicholsonsmith 3m
Jamey Carroll talks indeed heating up as @jcrasnick said. Hearing it's Nationals or Indians in on him. #MLB
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:30 pm

And it's the Nats that signed Carroll.

Don't jump, Brian. It's not worth it.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:27 pm

"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:26 am

John Lott of the National Post reports that during his time with the Cardinals in 2013, team coaches corrected a flaw in John Axford's delivery that had been tipping his pitches.
The Cardinals coaches filled Axford in on the secret that he had been tipping his pitches for years. Once the issue was brought to his attention and he tweaked his delivery, he posted a 1.74 ERA, 1.36 WHIP and 11/3 K/BB ratio over 10 1/3 innings at the end of the season, and followed that up with a strong performance in the playoffs. If the issue has indeed been corrected, look for the 30-year-old to rejoin the upper echelon of closers.

Rotoworld

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:56 am

What's most interesting about the Axford thing is that John Smoltz noticed it on a TV broadcast back in 2010: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/fa ... 84049.html

Not sure if it was fixed and then became an issue again, but it leads me to believe that it had been a problem for quite a while.

The Cardinals only batted .204/.339/.243/.581 off of Axford, but they did draw 20 BB in 27.2 innings of work by Axford. Next highest BB/IP is Cincinnati with 11 BB in 21.1.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby coachMueller » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:22 pm

Not Indians related per se, but I just finished reading a book called Trading Bases, about a dude who lost his job on Wall Street, then used his analytical skills and knowledge of sabremetrics to set up a baseball betting fund. He returned something like 40% during the 2011 season and the book is pretty good too, especially this time of year while we're all waiting for pitchers and catchers to report (and the Browns to hire another new coach...). More info at http://tradingbases.squarespace.com/.
coachMueller

Favorite Player: Mickey Callaway
Least Favorite Player: John Elway

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:23 pm

I'll cosign on Trading Bases. Joe Peta (@MagicRatSF) on Twitter will probably do his preseason win total articles again as well.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:54 pm

@ChrisCotillo 8m
Sources: Coaches at D2 Notre Dame College (OH) have alerted players that Travis Hafner will join team's coaching staff if not signed as FA.

‏@ChrisCotillo 7m
Hafner could start at NDC "as soon as next week" according to sources. Not necessarily retirement. Wife is a cheerleading coach there.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:25 pm

Jason Collette at Fangraphs on Axford tipping pitches: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/axfords- ... s-tipping/
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:38 pm

Indians sign Nyjer Morgan to a minor league deal.

More mouth than talent but, a minor league deal can't hurt and he's had decent seasons prior to heading off to Japan for a year.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:49 pm

Not Indians-related, but Clayton Kershaw just got PAID. 7 yrs 215M. 30.7M per. Previous high contract to a pitcher was Verlander's 7/180. Kershaw can opt out after the fifth-year of the deal.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:52 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Not Indians-related, but Clayton Kershaw just got PAID. 7 yrs 215M. 30.7M per. Previous high contract to a pitcher was Verlander's 7/180. Kershaw can opt out after the fifth-year of the deal.

I suspect this means Doyers are done. One less market for those remaining FA pitchers. My guess is Yankees get Tanaka, which leaves Seattle, Toronto, and ???? for the rest of the guys. We might have a shot...

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:31 pm

bookelly wrote:I suspect this means Doyers are done. One less market for those remaining FA pitchers. My guess is Yankees get Tanaka, which leaves Seattle, Toronto, and ???? for the rest of the guys. We might have a shot...

Tanaka's wife reportedly prefers the west coast. I think he either goes to Seattle or Anaheim.

Blue Jays don't want to go seven years on Tanaka.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:38 pm

skatingtripods wrote:@ChrisCotillo 8m
Sources: Coaches at D2 Notre Dame College (OH) have alerted players that Travis Hafner will join team's coaching staff if not signed as FA.

‏@ChrisCotillo 7m
Hafner could start at NDC "as soon as next week" according to sources. Not necessarily retirement. Wife is a cheerleading coach there.

That is awesome. My wife was an honorable mention all-conference SS for them.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:50 am

skatingtripods wrote:
bookelly wrote:I suspect this means Doyers are done. One less market for those remaining FA pitchers. My guess is Yankees get Tanaka, which leaves Seattle, Toronto, and ???? for the rest of the guys. We might have a shot...

Tanaka's wife reportedly prefers the west coast. I think he either goes to Seattle or Anaheim.

Blue Jays don't want to go seven years on Tanaka.

"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:57 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Not Indians-related, but Clayton Kershaw just got PAID. 7 yrs 215M. 30.7M per. Previous high contract to a pitcher was Verlander's 7/180. Kershaw can opt out after the fifth-year of the deal.

This deal almost makes me want to stop watching baseball.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:26 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:

Why? More than fair for both sides.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:31 am

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/w ... m=facebook

Scott Baker is likely to land with the M's or Indians

Not the rotation acquisitions we would prefer but he's a safe bet to make the roster and do well. Excellent control-finesse style pitcher who has had success. The only thing that bothers me is that we are accumulating like for like pitchers to fill out the rotation.

Although, the longer Jimenez stays unsigned, I believe the more likely he comes back with the Indians.

I don't think the suitors for Jimmy are out there on the terms he wants.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:12 am

Indians and Masterson are reportedly just a shade under 4 million apart in arbitration proposals...Indians are at 8.05 while he's countering at 11.8. With the distance between them on just what one year would cost, I would say that long-term extension talks are going to be even trickier than originally thought.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:33 am

Baker won't make the rotation.

On Masterson, this year isn't the key in the extension, it's how many FA years they're going to buy up. Frankly, even in his bad year in 2012, Masterson's market value by fWAR would have been around that 11.8M mark, depending on the $/WAR you use. His inconsistency may save the Indians a few dollars, but they'll likely have to go in that 15M per range to get a long-term deal done, unless Masterson's willing to sacrifice some AAV for more years of control, if the Indians would even entertain a five-year deal. He's been healthy, no shoulder or elbow issues, but it's a thing they don't like to do.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:05 am

Baker could be this years Kazmir. Recovering from injury, but off a 4.5 WAR the 2 years before. Roll the dice.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:12 am

bookelly wrote:Baker could be this years Kazmir. Recovering from injury, but off a 4.5 WAR the 2 years before. Roll the dice.

I have no problem with the signing. I just don't see Baker beating out Carrasco (out of options) and McAllister, with Tomlin and Bauer on the fringes.

If he's healthy and looks good, we'll see. He's a flyball pitcher, though, so I wouldn't expect his Cactus League stats to be very good, especially if he's fighting with command and control after effectively missing two years.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:22 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
TouchEmAllTime wrote:

These contracts are just getting out of hand, I mean I know the Indians won't ever land any big names regardless so I guess big picture it doesn't matter, but what are guys like Mike Trout going to get pretty soon, $40-$50 mil a year?
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:00 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:
TouchEmAllTime wrote:

These contracts are just getting out of hand, I mean I know the Indians won't ever land any big names regardless so I guess big picture it doesn't matter, but what are guys like Mike Trout going to get pretty soon, $40-$50 mil a year?

Trout probably will get 35M+ per year. 40 isn't out of the question.

Between TV revenues, inflation, a better understanding of a player's market value based on advanced statistics, it's the economics of baseball. Supply and demand. There is nobody comparable to Clayton Kershaw. He's 25, spectacular, going to continue to get better, and the Dodgers are getting 5-7 years of Kershaw in his prime.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:52 am

TouchEmAllTime wrote:

I've already got my son a tee that automatically does soft toss. Earl Woods in da hizzy!
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby pup » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:01 am

Erie Warrior wrote:
TouchEmAllTime wrote:

I've already got my son a tee that automatically does soft toss. Earl Woods in da hizzy!

Screw the tee. Be better off teaching him how to stand there and take pitches...then swing from the heels with 2 strikes.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:36 am

pup wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:
TouchEmAllTime wrote:

Screw the tee. Be better off teaching him how to stand there and take pitches...then swing from the heels with 2 strikes.

He said Earl Woods, not Earl Weaver.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:52 pm

Omar to be inducted into the Indians Hall of Fame.

Hope they fly in all the women he allegedly had sex with to boost attendance.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:25 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Omar to be inducted into the Indians Hall of Fame.

Hope they fly in all the women he allegedly had sex with to boost attendance.

Safe to assume Jose Mesa won't be in attendance?
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:58 am

Yankees sign Masahiro Tanaka. 7/155.

Little surprised, good call bookelly. Didn't think he'd want to go there, but I was wrong.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:02 am

7 years? hmm

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB