Text Size

College Sports Arena

Penn State and Franklin

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Penn State and Franklin

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:53 pm

Isn't this a bit of a risky move for Penn State?

Not in terms of coaching and X's & O's, but simply attaching their name to a coach that was HMFIC when a disturbing scandal (rape) took place, even though it sounds like Franklin handled it properly. I mean especially after Penn State's most recent history.

I'm a bit surprised they would go down this road.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Penn State and Franklin

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:08 am

Franklin is a beast of a coach and a class act. Good recruiter also. Penn State did well.

Big 10 just got better.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:13 pm

pod2dawg wrote:Franklin is a beast of a coach and a class act. Good recruiter also. Penn State did well.

Big 10 just got better.

+1. Al Golden would have been the only other guy that comes close to this hire.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:06 pm

pod2dawg wrote:Franklin is a beast of a coach and a class act. Good recruiter also. Penn State did well.

Big 10 just got better.

No disagreement there, but can PSU afford to attach their name to a coach so close to a rape scandal? Doesn't this have a whiff of putting "winning football" above everything else, which is exactly what was the attitude that caused PSU so much backlash with the Sandusky scandal.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:11 pm

I don't think the rape scandal has anything to do with anything here. The guy handled it right so it is a non-issue.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:54 pm

furls wrote:I don't think the rape scandal has anything to do with anything here. The guy handled it right so it is a non-issue.

Most disturbing and unprecedented scandal in college sports history, then said program hires a name attached to a similar (admittedly different level) type of scandal, and within 2 calendar years (not that time should matter), that's a bit worthy or raising some eye brows.

From a football standpoint I think it's a great move, PR wise and in terms of their reputation of what matters most at State college it's dicey.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:58 pm

FUDU wrote:
furls wrote:I don't think the rape scandal has anything to do with anything here. The guy handled it right so it is a non-issue.

Most disturbing and unprecedented scandal in college sports history, then said program hires a name attached to a similar (admittedly different level) type of scandal, and within 2 calendar years (not that time should matter), that's a bit worthy or raising some eye brows.

From a football standpoint I think it's a great move, PR wise and in terms of their reputation of what matters most at State college it's dicey.

I think it is dumb and there is no evidence that he was involved in any way other than dismissing the accused players within a week of the event. A coach cannot be responsible for the misconduct of players, only for the events that transpire after he finds out.

People making a big deal out of this are just assholes.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:42 pm

Well either your missing my point or I am not be clear enough. This isn't about Franklin, as I agree with you he's clean and handled it right, it's about Penn State and their recent history and their willingness to attack their name to a scandal of rape. As fair or unfair as it is, the rape scandal is attacked to Franklin's resume, and in the context of PSU HS search it's highlighted even more so.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:37 am

FUDU wrote:Well either your missing my point or I am not be clear enough. This isn't about Franklin, as I agree with you he's clean and handled it right, it's about Penn State and their recent history and their willingness to attack their name to a scandal of rape. As fair or unfair as it is, the rape scandal is attacked to Franklin's resume, and in the context of PSU HS search it's highlighted even more so.

I completely understand what you are saying, but Franklin's name is really only attached to the rape scandal by talking heads and media members who are making this into a story because that is their job. Reasonable people don't care and despite what the media would have you believe, reasonable people out number the talking heads.

By all reasonable accounts Franklin has run a good clean program. That should be good enough and any lather that these guys can work up over this ridiculous collection will be washed clean within a year unless there is a similar incident at PSU.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:24 am

Can't imagine that Franklin wasn't vetted like no one ever has been by the Joepologists. If thy put him through the wringer and hired him then there's nothing to see here.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:07 pm

peeker643 wrote:Can't imagine that Franklin wasn't vetted like no one ever has been by the Joepologists. If thy put him through the wringer and hired him then there's nothing to see here.

Apparently there is in Donny's World. ;-) ;) :wink:
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:28 am

peeker643 wrote:Can't imagine that Franklin wasn't vetted like no one ever has been by the Joepologists. If thy put him through the wringer and hired him then there's nothing to see here.

I see what you did there.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Return to College Sports Arena