Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Wish List - #4 Pick

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:06 pm

Picking at #4, you know you'll get one of your top 4 players. Who are they, should they drop to you?

For me*:

#1 - Bridgewater
#2 - Watkins
#3 - Clowney
#4 - Barr

*Subject to numerous changes
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4272
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:25 pm

Not sure about the order, but those are probably my 4 as well. The players with the best chance to jump someone in that group are likely Dennard, Bortles, and Mack. Other players with an outside chance (likely propelled by a crazy combine performance) to jump into that 4 are Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Eric Ebron, and Stephon Tuitt.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:40 pm

1. Clowney
2. Watkins
3. Bridgewater
4. Bortles (God help us all)

I also reserve the right to change my mind daily over the next 4 months.

I know how bad we need a QB, but Bridewater kind of scares me. People just really don't seem that high on him right now. To take him (or anyone else in this class) is saying he's your guy for the next 3 years and please don't shit the bed...ugh. Think I'd rather have Clowney or Watkins than any of these guys and go for the QB later, whether it's McCarron or Jimmy the Greek. But I'd rather roll the dice on one of the top QBs than go for a LB. IDK, maybe Dennard will sneak into the top 4. We clearly need help in the secondary.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby Spin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:23 pm

IMO when you have such an important position as such a big need, that's gotta be your #1. Drafting real talent at 4 is a lot better than drafting projects in the lower 1st round/2nd round praying for Brady.

I don't think Bridgewater makes it to 4. I'm still on the Manziel bandwagon. He has the baggage but he has the skills. I'll take the attitude over the squeaky-clean image if it plays like Manz.

1. Bridgewater
2. Manziel
3. Mariota
4. Carr
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2904
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:46 pm

If I thought there was even a decent chance Mariota would come out, he'd be number one on my list.

And, Mo, Clowney might be riskier than Bridgewater. Not a 'safe' pick at all, imho.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4272
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:06 pm

Hikohadon wrote:If I thought there was even a decent chance Mariota would come out, he'd be number one on my list.

And, Mo, Clowney might be riskier than Bridgewater. Not a 'safe' pick at all, imho.


Why do you think Clowney is riskier than Bridgewater? I'm not sure what to make of the reports that he took plays off or reported out of shape (wasn't there an injury though?), but he's arguably the best prospect at his position in a decade, and Teddy is no where near that. What Bridgewater is is the best of a very important position this year.

His position, not his talent is what's making him the prohibitive favorite to go at the top of the draft. And I'm not saying that doesn't even make sense. But taking Bridgewater and having him suck will set back the franchise for 3-4 years while we "find out if he's the guy". If you take Clowney and he washes out ala Gholston, it sucks, and it's not unimportant, but it doesn't set the franchise back liek busting on a QB does.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:09 pm

Hikohadon wrote:If I thought there was even a decent chance Mariota would come out, he'd be number one on my list.

And, Mo, Clowney might be riskier than Bridgewater. Not a 'safe' pick at all, imho.


Just curious in what you see in Mariota. I'm not being a smartass either - I just haven't seen much at all that would lead me to much confidense of beating NFL defenses. I don't see Johnny Football's game translating, and while I see much better physical traits from Mariotta, I think he's in the same boat.

And this is not to say it won't translate, I just don't have any idea based on this season, and I'm not sure how anyone could. I saw track meets against garbage defenses....and Stanford.

My top 4

1. Shazier
2. Guyton
3. Philly Brown
4. Drew Basil
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6551
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:11 pm

Philly Brown #3 is fucking ridiculous after that fumble.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:29 pm

1. Bridgewater
2. Mariota.....Lead sees Locker....I see Kaepernick
3. Hundley.......I know not coming out.
4. Watkins
5. Clowney
User avatar
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 pm
Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:43 pm

pod2dawg wrote:1. Bridgewater
2. Mariota.....Lead sees Locker....I see Kaepernick
3. Hundley.......I know not coming out.
4. Watkins
5. Clowney


To be clear - I do not see Locker - Locker was a damn near "Lock" not to be successful, 4 years and he still couldn't complete a decent % - which has always been a solid indicator.

With Mariotta, I'm not so much negative as "I have no idea" And I don't like zero idea at #4.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6551
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:02 pm

^^^ Fair enough. I "liked" Locker......thought he'd get more refined in the Pros with 24x7 coaching....I am still waiting.

To my untrained eye Mariota "looks" "better".....he is also the reason Johnny Football transferred to TAM($)...which tells you Marcus can ball.

Nobody but Harbaugh saw Kaepernick coming.....It's probably wishful thinking coz I am a bit of a Honk for UW having spent a year there & being a desperate Clowns fan.

I got no problem with Watkins or Clowney at 4. I think Marcus stays in another year to hold hands with Hundley just to f$%%^ck the Browns up even more. I'd leave it up to the guys making millions to decide but I am convinced we'd ( anybody on this board) do better.
User avatar
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 pm
Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:06 pm

leadpipe wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:1. Bridgewater
2. Mariota.....Lead sees Locker....I see Kaepernick
3. Hundley.......I know not coming out.
4. Watkins
5. Clowney


To be clear - I do not see Locker - Locker was a damn near "Lock" not to be successful, 4 years and he still couldn't complete a decent % - which has always been a solid indicator.

With Mariotta, I'm not so much negative as "I have no idea" And I don't like zero idea at #4.


He's certainly not a sure thing, coming out of a system like that he could be an epic bust in a pro offense. But what I see from him is prototypical size and arm strength, seems to make good, quick decisions, and is accurate both in the pocket and on the run. Throws with some touch too, some of the throws he's made between levels of coverage are really what has made me take notice of him.

And he can run pretty well, but that's not an end-all for me.

He's not quite the beast that Kaep is, but he should be enough to be durable and a similar threat, probably a better passer than Kaep was coming out.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4272
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby Spin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:47 pm

Manziel declared.

Image
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2904
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:04 pm

Spin wrote:Manziel declared.

Image


Totally agree with the crossed fingers, please please pleeeeeeze God don't let us take him!
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4272
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:42 pm

Gotten to the point where I honestly just don't care. One reason is the OIC factor which is stupid and says no matter who they take it'll be wrong. The other factor is the more I read the more I have no real clue. Guys I read and respect say he has the highest upside if anyone entering.

What I do know is the immaturity issues don't bother me. He's young and dumb like most of us at that age. But I will say he showed up damn near every game and played his ass off. So there's that, FWIW.

Just tired of the polarity in the coaching and draft talk. Sick of the same shit every year.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22625
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:02 pm

Peeks, I agree with you.

I don't know which QB, if any, is going to have success. I do know that every year, my predictions have been terrible, with QBs I thought would be good being bad, and QBs I thought were bad being good. It seems to me that no one knows, for most of them.

What I do know is that I have no faith in Banner or Lombardi to pick between them though. Everything about the coaching situation screams that they don't know what they are doing and to think that they are magically going to be better at QB scouting than they are at coaching scouting. They could get it right, but so far I have seen nothing that tells me that they are better than average, and quite a bit that tells me they are below average.
User avatar
bac5665
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:15 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:16 pm

1. Clowney
2. Khalil Mack
3. Manziel
4. Jake Matthews

I know we don't necessarily need an OT this high, but I think he's the safest pick in the draft to be a solid Pro, so quite frankly it wouldn't bother me.

I like Watkins too, but I think it depends on how you view Gordon. If you are trying to get rid of Gordon, or think we may lose him, take Watkins. If you think we're safe to keep Gordon on the field, there's some valuable receivers later on in the draft.

As for the QBs, I'm not that high on any of them. Of them all, Manziel is the one I can see having a chance at being highly successful. Plus, I don't think there's ever been an organization in a better position to say, 'Fuck it, what do we have to lose' than the Browns. So hell, buy that lottery ticket.

Other than that; I like Boyd's size, arm and mobility. Reminds me of POS that way. I'm not a fan of him that high and hoping he pans into something, but if they do, eh.
Sea Foam Green
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:10 am
Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:17 pm

bac5665 wrote:Peeks, I agree with you.

I don't know which QB, if any, is going to have success. I do know that every year, my predictions have been terrible, with QBs I thought would be good being bad, and QBs I thought were bad being good. It seems to me that no one knows, for most of them.

What I do know is that I have no faith in Banner or Lombardi to pick between them though. Everything about the coaching situation screams that they don't know what they are doing and to think that they are magically going to be better at QB scouting than they are at coaching scouting. They could get it right, but so far I have seen nothing that tells me that they are better than average, and quite a bit that tells me they are below average.


No argument based on what we've seen so far. That adds to my hopelessness for sure. But then I'm reminded that even idiots can get lucky and so I hope for that.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22625
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby Lubber » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:02 pm

Looks like it will be Bortels. Not my first choice.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/08/2014-nfl-mock-draft-johnny-manziel-2/
User avatar
Lubber
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:42 am
Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:35 pm

What needs done is that BanBardi need to identify every QB in the draft they think might be a franchise guy. Then for each guy, they need to figure out when in the draft they are likely to go.

I think Bridgewater, Manzeil and Mariota are first round guys who are probably worth it. Carr and Bottles; who knows. Miller, if he goes, if also a mystery. Then there are a bunch of late round guys who are possible, although it gets even harder to separate the wheat from the chaff. I'd take a hard, hard look at Guiton, for instance, although that easily could be the homer in me.

The point is this; we have to come out of this draft with as many lottery tickets (read: potential franchise QBs) as possible. If we can pick up Manziel, Guiton, and keep Hoyer, I feel actually alright that one of them will work out (which probably means they will be among the worst of all time.)

As far as the first round, we take a QB unless there are none left we want that we think will be taken until round 3. Only then can/should we take any other position. I say tackle, probably, for what it's worth. O-line continues to be the most important position that doesn't throw the ball and ours needs to be better.

So my list is this:

Bridgewater
Manziel
Mariota
The best of Carr/Bortles/Mathews.

Fuck Clowny. This teams doesn't need quitters and as good as he might be, QB continues to be the only position that matters.
User avatar
bac5665
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:15 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:45 pm

peeker643 wrote:Gotten to the point where I honestly just don't care. One reason is the OIC factor which is stupid and says no matter who they take it'll be wrong. The other factor is the more I read the more I have no real clue. Guys I read and respect say he has the highest upside if anyone entering.

What I do know is the immaturity issues don't bother me. He's young and dumb like most of us at that age. But I will say he showed up damn near every game and played his ass off. So there's that, FWIW.

Just tired of the polarity in the coaching and draft talk. Sick of the same shit every year.


No worries on my end, I express my opinion on the Manziels and McDanielses, but really I don't care. I too have a sinking feeling that no matter who they get, he will end up being wrong/sucking, since I have absolutely no faith in the Stooges to get it right. If they drafted Mariota, he'd probably end up being worse than Manziel. No way in the world I go all Peeker-after-Weeden-was-drafted since I look forward to the amusement factor.

I just like to poke the guys that get all wet over Johnny Football. :pop:

We should have an OBR draft party, though, this year, seeing as we'll have the #4 and #32 picks.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4272
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:18 pm

Hikohadon wrote:We should have an OBR draft party...


A what?
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:40 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:We should have an OBR draft party...


A what?


You know, a party, for the Browns draft. It's a day to celebrate, drink and invite posters that live on the same side of town as you over for a hug, if the draft goes well.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:11 pm

I think that Barr fella can play. Clowney could be the best out of any of them, but he appears to have questionable drive and effort- so he'll fit right in.

What's his draft stock do when he runs a 4.5 and does 40 reps?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6428
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:31 pm

FUDU wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:We should have an OBR draft party...


A what?


You know, a party, for the Browns draft. It's a day to celebrate, drink and invite posters that live on the same side of town as you over for a hug, if the draft goes well.


Well played, donald.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:01 pm

peeker643 wrote:Gotten to the point where I honestly just don't care. One reason is the OIC factor which is stupid and says no matter who they take it'll be wrong. The other factor is the more I read the more I have no real clue. Guys I read and respect say he has the highest upside if anyone entering.

What I do know is the immaturity issues don't bother me. He's young and dumb like most of us at that age. But I will say he showed up damn near every game and played his ass off. So there's that, FWIW.

Just tired of the polarity in the coaching and draft talk. Sick of the same shit every year.


I'm pretty much right here. The embarrassing Gullible Cleveland Moron part of my brain is already talking me into it because it just feels so inevitable. "Hey! He does make a lot of plays! HES A PLAYMAKER! WE NEED ONE OF THOSE!" Says the giant dumbfuck dipshit running the show between my ears.

The main thing I'm clinging to is the fact that because I'm so sure he'll be a catastrophe, that probably means he'll end up in the hall of fame. But only if Cleveland doesn't draft him.

And there's the rub.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:32 am

HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:We should have an OBR draft party...


A what?


Uh, yeah, or another acronym.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4272
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:43 am

HoodooMan wrote:
FUDU wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:We should have an OBR draft party...


A what?


You know, a party, for the Browns draft. It's a day to celebrate, drink and invite posters that live on the same side of town as you over for a hug, if the draft goes well.


Well played, donald.


I'm officially lost.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22625
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:09 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:We should have an OBR draft party...


A what?


Uh, yeah, or another acronym.


I wouldn't recommend NAMBLA's draft party.

Every year, it's the same thing. Laddie Underpants declares for the draft, Laddie Underpants goes undrafted, soul-crushing disappointment ensues. Then they pack up their custom Laddie jerseys for next year's draft party in the hopes that maybe next year might just be their year, despite knowing deep down it never will be.

So it's a lot like Cleveland, actually. Just more illicit sodomy.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:37 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:We should have an OBR draft party...


A what?


Uh, yeah, or another acronym.


I wouldn't recommend NAMBLA's draft party.

Every year, it's the same thing. Laddie Underpants declares for the draft, Laddie Underpants goes undrafted, soul-crushing disappointment ensues. Then they pack up their custom Laddie jerseys for next year's draft party in the hopes that maybe next year might just be their year, despite knowing deep down it never will be.

So it's a lot like Cleveland, actually. Just more illicit sodomy.


Now I'm lost and concerned.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22625
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:57 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Now I'm lost and concerned.


One of my favorite Zepplin songs.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4272
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:02 pm

Do most of you guys also frequent OBR? Is it a cesspool of idiocy or no different than anywhere else?

Is it Browns-only or do they also dedicate articles and such to the other teams?

Wondering if the negativity runs rampant there as well as anywhere else given the shitty state of Cleveland sports.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22625
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:24 pm

peeker643 wrote:Do most of you guys also frequent OBR? Is it a cesspool of idiocy or no different than anywhere else?

Is it Browns-only or do they also dedicate articles and such to the other teams?

Wondering if the negativity runs rampant there as well as anywhere else given the shitty state of Cleveland sports.


Hoodoo, JB, and I do. It's Browns only, though there are Cavs/Buckeyes/Indians threads every once in a while.

The Cooler has a much higher volume than here, so you get more rogue/fringe POV's than here. You can find someone who really likes/supports anything/anyone. If you want to find someone that think re-hiring Shurmur is a good idea, the Cooler is where you go.

With the wider range of opinion, there's probably less overall negativity there than here (although plenty there too). However, in this situation, the pro Banner/Lombardi/Haslam/Browns takes seem to go hand in hand with a lot of the lower IQ posters. So I'm not sure you'll feel any better reading their takes.

In the end, there is no place you can go to escape the rampant negativity. People are so desperate, if any of the teams displayed even a slight hint of there being light at the end of the tunnel, they'd grasp on en masse.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4272
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby bac5665 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:38 pm

Hikohadon wrote:In the end, there is no place you can go to escape the rampant negativity. People are so desperate, if any of the teams displayed even a slight hint of there being light at the end of the tunnel, they'd grasp on en masse.


You mean like how the Tribe had league leading attendance last year?
User avatar
bac5665
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:15 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:59 pm

bac5665 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:In the end, there is no place you can go to escape the rampant negativity. People are so desperate, if any of the teams displayed even a slight hint of there being light at the end of the tunnel, they'd grasp on en masse.


You mean like how the Tribe had league leading attendance last year?


Cuz no one was believing that the light at the end of that tunnel was real.

Maybe they wouldn't grasp it en masse. Maybe nothing short of cold hard evidence is gonna do it at this point.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4272
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:43 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Do most of you guys also frequent OBR? Is it a cesspool of idiocy or no different than anywhere else?

Is it Browns-only or do they also dedicate articles and such to the other teams?

Wondering if the negativity runs rampant there as well as anywhere else given the shitty state of Cleveland sports.


Hoodoo, JB, and I do. It's Browns only, though there are Cavs/Buckeyes/Indians threads every once in a while.

The Cooler has a much higher volume than here, so you get more rogue/fringe POV's than here. You can find someone who really likes/supports anything/anyone. If you want to find someone that think re-hiring Shurmur is a good idea, the Cooler is where you go.

With the wider range of opinion, there's probably less overall negativity there than here (although plenty there too). However, in this situation, the pro Banner/Lombardi/Haslam/Browns takes seem to go hand in hand with a lot of the lower IQ posters. So I'm not sure you'll feel any better reading their takes.

In the end, there is no place you can go to escape the rampant negativity. People are so desperate, if any of the teams displayed even a slight hint of there being light at the end of the tunnel, they'd grasp on en masse.

No different than anywhere else really, just different relationships, IMO.

IMO with more traffic at OBR you get a lot more really bad than you get in here.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:45 pm

peeker643 wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:
FUDU wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:We should have an OBR draft party...


A what?


You know, a party, for the Browns draft. It's a day to celebrate, drink and invite posters that live on the same side of town as you over for a hug, if the draft goes well.


Well played, donald.


I'm officially lost.


You chased away the one Interwebs persona that would best retell the story, and it is b/c of that same Interweb persona that the evidence of such story is gone forever.

Maybe....
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:50 pm

FUDU wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:
FUDU wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:We should have an OBR draft party...


A what?


You know, a party, for the Browns draft. It's a day to celebrate, drink and invite posters that live on the same side of town as you over for a hug, if the draft goes well.


Well played, donald.


I'm officially lost.


You chased away the one Interwebs persona that would best retell the story, and it is b/c of that same Interweb persona that the evidence of such story is gone forever.

Maybe....


Yeah.... not helping me understand. And I didn't chase Lee anywhere. No one ever has chased him anywhere he didn't want to go.

He was ready to be done with this time suck and the shrinking enjoyment of message boards in general and I was his excuse. A bad excuse, mind you, but like I said, no one EVER moved Lee where he didn't want to go. Quite the opposite.

If Lee's who you're referring to.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22625
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:03 pm

Draft day 2007, Hoodooman (a bit liquored up I assume, or hope) needed someone to hug after day one (JT and BQ) we live(d) relatively close to each other (IIRC) so I was his first invite, for a hug. IIRC Lee reminded him of his somewhat unusual postings that day, and within 24 hrs the evidence magically disappeared.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:43 pm

FUDU wrote:Draft day 2007, Hoodooman (a bit liquored up I assume, or hope) needed someone to hug after day one (JT and BQ) we live(d) relatively close to each other (IIRC) so I was his first invite, for a hug. IIRC Lee reminded him of his somewhat unusual postings that day, and within 24 hrs the evidence magically disappeared.


Touching.

Literally.

I heard there were hugs that day at various draft party locations.

Hiko, can you comment on this? JB?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22625
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:27 pm

FUDU wrote:
IMO with more traffic at OBR you get a lot more really bad than you get in here.


Totally agree. The Utter Moron factor goes up sharply with big volume. Smaller volume, you can chase the trolls off.
Last edited by Hikohadon on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4272
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:28 pm

peeker643 wrote:
FUDU wrote:Draft day 2007, Hoodooman (a bit liquored up I assume, or hope) needed someone to hug after day one (JT and BQ) we live(d) relatively close to each other (IIRC) so I was his first invite, for a hug. IIRC Lee reminded him of his somewhat unusual postings that day, and within 24 hrs the evidence magically disappeared.


Touching.

Literally.

I heard there were hugs that day at various draft party locations.

Hiko, can you comment on this? JB?


I was in my car driving south on 77 when Quinn got picked, but I've heard tales. Ah, the TCF glory days...
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4272
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby justmebd » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:33 pm

I was in Arizona and just a lurker on this board at the time. The things I missed.
User avatar
justmebd
 
Posts: 1449
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:09 pm

I was in Alabama, and ecstatic. My phone was ringing as everyone was going nuts that the Browns seemed to have the coup of the day. Used to love those days- 3 rounds on Saturday, 4 rounds on Sunday, stuff going on all day. It was beautiful. Didn't join the board until 2 years later, at which point I may have knew better about my initial excitement.
User avatar
fairvis
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:16 pm

About the pick...

I'd be happy with any of these four guys:
1. Bridgewater
2. Clowney
3. Watkins
4. Barr

I'd be ambivalent about these three guys:
1. Manziel
2. Matthews
3. Mack

I'd be pissed off as hell about these two guys:
1. Bortles
2. Carr

So, I completely agree with Hiko. However, knowing Lombardi, I'll be throwing something at my TV at around 1:30 AM GMT.
User avatar
fairvis
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:22 am

Hikohadon wrote:
FUDU wrote:
IMO with more traffic at OBR you get a lot more really bad than you get in here.


Totally agree. The Utter Moron factor goes up sharply with big volume. Smaller volume, you can chase the trolls off.


Yeah it's been most difficult to chase you out of the OBR.

:hide:
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:00 pm

When they picked Quinn, I was happy. However, I was driving near a firefighter practice day, where they were putting out purposely-set fires in an old house. Seems fitting now.

I do not want any player on the Browns' roster who does not have a high motor. Clowney would irritate me. The Browns don't make me mad any more. Sometimes I am surprised by that (getting older? caring less?).

Clowney would probably be managed well by the Patriots' locker room. He'd be a cancer on the Browns.

I think Bridgwater is worthy of the #4, but won't be there. I do not trust any of the other QBs to be franchise QBs. So I want Watkins, then the OT Mathews from Texas A&M, then Barr.
User avatar
googleeph2
 
Posts: 1710
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:40 am
Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:25 pm

FUDU wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
FUDU wrote:
IMO with more traffic at OBR you get a lot more really bad than you get in here.


Totally agree. The Utter Moron factor goes up sharply with big volume. Smaller volume, you can chase the trolls off.


Yeah it's been most difficult to chase you out of the OBR.

:hide:


Tee hee.

Until they added the "Ignore" feature on there, it was actually quite easy. I think there was a 4 or 5 year gap where I didn't bother going there at all.

There's no one here deserving of ignoring, except maybe Peeks, but you can't ignore him since he's a Mod. Probably the whole reason he took the job. ;-) ;) :wink:
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4272
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby Lubber » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:40 pm

It is very simple...If Watkins is there, take him. If not, take Johnny Football.
User avatar
Lubber
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:42 am
Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Re: Wish List - #4 Pick

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:08 am

Hikohadon wrote:
FUDU wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
FUDU wrote:
IMO with more traffic at OBR you get a lot more really bad than you get in here.


Totally agree. The Utter Moron factor goes up sharply with big volume. Smaller volume, you can chase the trolls off.


Yeah it's been most difficult to chase you out of the OBR.

:hide:


Tee hee.

Until they added the "Ignore" feature on there, it was actually quite easy. I think there was a 4 or 5 year gap where I didn't bother going there at all.

There's no one here deserving of ignoring, except maybe Peeks, but you can't ignore him since he's a Mod. Probably the whole reason he took the job. ;-) ;) :wink:


I still have a premium subscription, which is worth it when the Browns go through their annual FO implosion or coaching search or draft ffuck up. There is a board to discuss the premium content in which there is often decent conversation. As for the rest, it's a little like Cleveland Live meets 4 Chan/b.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3654
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bookelly and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: bookelly and 1 guest