Text Size

College Sports Arena

2014 Recruiting

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: 2014 Recruiting

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Appears DT Michael Bennett will return for senior year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ter_nfl_cb
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby furls » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:22 pm

danwismar wrote:New Scout 300 is out, and the OSU recruits are very well represented, especially at the top:

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p= ... 88&yr=2014

A little hard to believe, but Sam Hubbard has been upgraded to a 5-star on Scout, and is the top-rated OSU recruit.

8 OSU commits are in the Top 100, and 11 in the top 125.

Also, Lattimore and Smith are top 100, as is Solomon Thomas.

See a quick listing of the rankings for all 2014 OSU recruits here:

http://menofthescarletandgray.com/2013/ ... scout-300/

Scout should just fold up and quit. I like Hubbard as much as the next guy, but 5*? Seriously? That is as egrigious as having Green as the #1 back in the country last year, possibly worse. No one even knows what position Hubbard will play, or if he will be good at it. He is a good athlete, but he is not such an elite athlete that it is obvious that he will be good anywhere on the field (like Clowney). Hubbard is a tweener. Way too big for safety, probably on the big side of LB, but too small (buildwise) for a DE.

There is a 0 percent chance that he is a safety in NCAAF. Quick name every 6'5-6'6 LB you can think of.... /crickets. I sincerely hope he is every bit the 5* that Scout says he is, but does anyone here really think he is a better prospect at LB than Booker, McMillan or Berger? Scout is a joke.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:20 pm

furls wrote:Scout should just fold up and quit. I like Hubbard as much as the next guy, but 5*? Seriously? That is as egrigious as having Green as the #1 back in the country last year, possibly worse. No one even knows what position Hubbard will play, or if he will be good at it. He is a good athlete, but he is not such an elite athlete that it is obvious that he will be good anywhere on the field (like Clowney). Hubbard is a tweener. Way too big for safety, probably on the big side of LB, but too small (buildwise) for a DE.

There is a 0 percent chance that he is a safety in NCAAF. Quick name every 6'5-6'6 LB you can think of.... /crickets. I sincerely hope he is every bit the 5* that Scout says he is, but does anyone here really think he is a better prospect at LB than Booker, McMillan or Berger? Scout is a joke.

I think 5-star is a reach too, but they seem to have been influenced by his last 2 games in the final four...where I thought he exhibited some serious badassery as a linebacker. Really strong tackler and flies around. Why not a SAM...or even a Will with his speed?

As for Scout's relative cred in the ratings industry these days, I don't follow it closely enough nationally to have an informed opinion on it.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:32 pm

SAM is more likely than WILL, I am actually concerned about his speed once he gains the size to play the position. There just are not alot of guys that can be athletic enough to play that position at 6'5-6'6.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:50 pm

furls wrote:
jb wrote:
furls wrote:Johnnie Dixon (WR) committing to OSU today as well. That is some good news. Dixon is a 5'11 185lb speedster type WR. Natural WR, runs good routes, quick and fast. Nice pickup and a guy you have to think will make an impact at OSU at some point.

Dixon is one of those higher 4* top 100ish players. Very nice, national level recruit the day after picking up the #1 MLB recruit in the country. According to 247 OSU now has the #1 OLB recruit (Booker) and the #1 ILB recruit (McMillan). Hopefully one of them can make an impact. They also have Berger in the 2014 class (who was injured all year). I love that guy, he is a straight up football player. I actually prefer him as an OLB over Booker. Sam Hubbard is an interesting LB prospect too. I have no idea what they will do with Hubbard who played for Moeller as a Safety this year at 6'6" 210ish lbs. OSU is projecting him to SAM.

Furls, no bigger pump here of all things Wildcat. While Kyle is a strong pass rusher, Booker is on another planet from Berger. Seen em both in person & Booker blew me away. Incredibly strong in a frame that will get a lot bigger and stout at POA. Crazy athletic. Berger is Jake Ryan. Booker is Shazier.

I get what you are saying, completely. I haven't had a chance to see much of Booker's senior season. What I saw last year was a great athlete playing linebacker. We have had a bunch of those lately (Sabino, Grant, Bell, etc.) and it hasn't really worked out that well. That said, you are not alone in your assessment of Booker. 247 has Booker ranked ahead of McMillan in 2014, and Booker did VERY well at "The Opening" where he really "opened" some eyes.

Booker ran a laser-timed (not attached to a shark's head) 4.53 forty and was EXTREMELY impressive in pass coverage in 7 on 7's covering WRs. How long has it been since we have had a LB that was impressive in coverage?

The reason I am so high on Berger is due to his low standard deviation. Obviously Booker is going to have the higher ceiling, but in watching Berger's junior film I see a guy that is more athletic than people think (though nowhere near as athletic as Booker) who is a natural football player that flows to the play and therefore plays alot faster than better athletes; similar to James Laurinitis. I am not saying that he is going to be JL, just that he reminds me of him in the way he reads and reacts.

I also think Berger has a very low "Bust Factor" and I would have killed an MF'er to have Jake Ryan on this team this year.

I thought Booker showed very good instincts in the game I saw. And what blew me away was his strength at POA for a rather thin kid.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:41 am

Apparently Mike Farrell over at Rivals has tweeted he heard some "amazing if true" rumor, and word is it is about Tony Brown. Brown is expected to commit at the UA Game and if he ends up putting on an OSU hat, it will be Meyer's biggest coup to date by a large margin. Brown is probably the most athletic CB prospect in the country and is a unanimous 5*. Brown + Webb + Lattimore would be a RIDICULOUS pack of CBs to match last year's ridiculous haul (Apple, Conley and Burrows).

There are also some nice rumors coming out about Jermaine Roberts (Texas Commit) flipping to OSU. He is another CB/DB/KR/PR recruit. Not highly rated, but very impressive in highlights similar to James Clark last year.

Things still seem to be trending up for Buckeyes with 5* DE Solomon Thomas (not the one that picked a pass in the Sugar Bowl in 2010).

This could be a very explosive finish to the 2014 recruiting class, similar to 2012 and 2013.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:09 pm

Erick Smith is in. Just announced during the all star game/

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:27 pm

OSU committ Damon Webb just got beat deep in the 4th quarter.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:33 pm

Latimore now OSU!

There's 2 of the Glenville guys now.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby furls » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:48 am

I didn't get a chance to watch the game today, but I heard that Erick Smith was very impressive and was probably OSU's best commitment out there. Knox was impressive also.

Target Solomon Thomas was another guy drawing big praise.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:54 pm

Eric Smith stuffed the run & had some good breakups.

Webb made some real nice plays, but got burned deep once.

Solomon Thomas looked like a man playing amongst boys. Scary dude.

9 Buckeyes.....impressive showing bu Urbs.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:54 pm

Jalyn Holmes was impressive too.

The guy that burned Webb, Demare Kitt, is a VERY good WR prospect. I read that Webb was very impressive all week in practice.

Smith was playing out of position at CB in the game and did very well for a safety playing out of position. He may be one of the steals in this class. It is not often you get a safety that is good enough in coverage to look good against the nation's best WR recruits while playing CB!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:17 pm

That kid with the taco bell nachos sure can run.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:02 pm

Demarre Kitt had a great offer list...not only did OSU offer him, but so did Alabama, Texas, USC, Oregon, Georgia. Committed to Clemson.

http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p= ... id=6083676
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:06 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:That kid with the taco bell nachos sure can run.

Yes, he can.

That dad has serious trouble. Wish I could tell him the real issues are with his teenage daughter.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:26 pm

3 Star OT Brady Taylor from Bishop Ready in Columbus has verballed to Ohio State, #22 in the 2014 class.
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:38 pm

With as many games as this kid likes to play, no idea if this will happen or not, but thought it was worth sharing.

@GregBiggins: Fort Worth (Texas) All Saints Episcopal OL and #OhioState commit Demetrius Knox has set up an OV to #UCLA for (Jan 31)
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby furls » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:26 am

I still think Knox ends up at OSU.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena