Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Official- Browns Coach Search/Rumors

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Official- Browns Coach Search/Rumors

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:32 pm

Bob Stoops?

Christ.

Get a fucking guy that knows the NFL. Please.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Official- Browns Coach Search/Rumors

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Stoops is just fishing for a raise from OU.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:48 pm

Govbarney wrote:Stoops is just fishing for a raise from OU.

He just bested Jesus' son and the dynastic team from God's conference.

The King is dead. Long live the new King!
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:49 pm

Rather have Stoops or McDaniels?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:55 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Rather have Stoops or McDaniels?

I'd rather have you as HC than either Stoops or McDaniels.

Seriously.
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:03 pm

I'd rather have McDaniels, personally.

I'll take a chance the tool has learned something from his disastrous NFL run as opposed to taking a chance that Stoops collegiate approach applies. Not to mention OU has been irrelevant for a few years up til last night.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:04 pm

And that's not to say I'm not sick about the choice if it's between the two.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:58 pm

Any candidates that anyone likes, or is this just where we bitch about how awful they all are? : )

I have no idea if he's interested in leaving Stanford, but I'd be interested in David Shaw. Depending on what he has and hasn't learned from his mistakes in Denver, I'd be interested in McDaniels. If he could be bought, I'd be interested in a 5ish year run with Saban. For some reason it seems like Greg Roman was a more popular name last year than this one, but he'd interest me, too. I think Hue Jackson got a raw deal in Oakland, so I'd like to see us give him a look. I'd take Urban Meyer over all of them if it wasn't for his splodey-heart. Gus Malzahn seems a little crazy after two years of NCAA HC experience, but maybe?
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:11 pm

HoodooMan wrote:Any candidates that anyone likes, or is this just where we bitch about how awful they all are? : )

I have no idea if he's interested in leaving Stanford, but I'd be interested in David Shaw. Depending on what he has and hasn't learned from his mistakes in Denver, I'd be interested in McDaniels. If he could be bought, I'd be interested in a 5ish year run with Saban. For some reason it seems like Greg Roman was a more popular name last year than this one, but he'd interest me, too. I think Hue Jackson got a raw deal in Oakland, so I'd like to see us give him a look. I'd take Urban Meyer over all of them if it wasn't for his splodey-heart. Gus Malzahn seems a little crazy after two years of NCAA HC experience, but maybe?

I honestly don't care who they hire. What I want is a process that entails talking to as many of these candidates as possible. Last year they didn't talk to Roman or McCoy. Why? Last year they didn't talk to Lovie Smith. Why? Interview every GD guy you think might be a viable option and then take the guy you like the best. Had they done that last year and taken Chud I'd have been far better with it than not talking to any viable candidate.

And if we're talking McDaniel specifically, I do believe people learn. I don't know if McDaniel has, which is why you need to talk to him, but the fact a guy made mistakes previously and maybe had to grow up the hard way is fine with me if you talk to him and everyone else and decide he has indeed grown up some.

Shit, I learned my lesson on this when Holmgren hired Shurmur w/o a large pool of candidates.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:18 pm

HoodooMan wrote:Any candidates that anyone likes, or is this just where we bitch about how awful they all are? : )

You nailed 2 of mine, Shaw and Malzahn. Somewhat interested in Jay Gruden (NOT Jon), Zimmer too. NOT interested in any coordinators doing well in positions they've been in for one year and which were in great shape when they took them over (read: OC in Denver, DC in Seattle).
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:22 pm

If the choice is literally between Bob Stoops and Josh McDaniels ONLY, than it's not acontest really.

Josh McDaniels would be an disaster, and would probably lead to those 5 all pros I just saw flashing on my tv screen playing for other teams within two years.

Stoops, at least doesn't have that negative of a stigma attached to himself. Unproven? You bet, and I don't think he has quite what it takes to win in the NFL. But at least I don't see flashes in my head of Josh Gordon getting traded because of him.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:24 pm

Triple-S wrote:If the choice is literally between Bob Stoops and Josh McDaniels ONLY, than it's not acontest really.

Josh McDaniels would be an disaster, and would probably lead to those 5 all pros I just saw flashing on my tv screen playing for other teams within two years.

Stoops, at least doesn't have that negative of a stigma attached to himself. Unproven? You bet, and I don't think he has quite what it takes to win in the NFL. But at least I don't see flashes in my head of Josh Gordon getting traded because of him.

Triple-S doesn't want Josh McD? I'm sold.

I'd put Shaw at the top of the list but I haven't heard his name mentioned for any openings, let alone the Browns.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:30 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Triple-S doesn't want Josh McD? I'm sold.

Or you could not be an asshole? Your choice really.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Lubber » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:35 pm

Triple-S wrote:If the choice is literally between Bob Stoops and Josh McDaniels ONLY, than it's not acontest really.

Why do you think Josh would trade Gordon?
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:38 pm

Lubber wrote:

Why do you think Josh would trade Gordon?

Obviously, he hated having Randy Moss in 2007.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby Spin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:04 pm

Rumor on 1350AM has the Browns interviewing the Vest this week.

IDK how he would relate to NFL players, or how his system would work in the NFL. He would move the needle with the lost fanbase though.

I think (as do a lot of other Zips), that he is in training for the President's job as soon as Dr. Proenza retires.

And the Browns? I know he's a lifer Browns geek, but shit, you have an owner and prez with an itchy trigger finger, and no QB or RB.

I don't think that's a good fit for either. So obviously, it'll happen. :thud:
Last edited by Spin on Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:10 pm

Stoops.

At least he's been HMFIC of something legit, for a substantial amount of time, and had success doing so.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:17 pm

peeker643 wrote:I honestly don't care who they hire. What I want is a process that entails talking to as many of these candidates as possible.

This still doesn't matter to me. If they know what they want in a HC and they believe they've found it, I don't care if the search is a mere Rooney-Rule-meetin', fan-satisfyin' charade.

I mean, the Colts didn't have to interview Weeden before they knew they wanted Luck, did they?

(Unfortunately, I suspect the Stooges don't know what they want, so a throw-a-whole-heapin-load-of-shit-against-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks style search is probably appropriate for them.)
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:21 pm

Hikohadon wrote:You nailed 2 of mine, Shaw and Malzahn.

Have you seen Auburn's run/pass ratios lately under Malzahn?

If so, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH HIKO? Out of curiosity.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby scott » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:33 pm

Spin wrote:Rumor on 1350AM has the Browns interviewing the Vest this week

Butch Davis 2.0

Where did the puking smiley go?
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby Spin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:46 pm

An Open Letter to The Cleveland Browns from 10 Year Olds

Well the Browns are trying to attract the younger demographic.

This is probably what Banner thinks that means...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:41 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I honestly don't care who they hire. What I want is a process that entails talking to as many of these candidates as possible.

This still doesn't matter to me. If they know what they want in a HC and they believe they've found it, I don't care if the search is a mere Rooney-Rule-meetin', fan-satisfyin' charade.

I mean, the Colts didn't have to interview Weeden before they knew they wanted Luck, did they?

(Unfortunately, I suspect the Stooges don't know what they want, so a throw-a-whole-heapin-load-of-shit-against-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks style search is probably appropriate for them.)

It wouldn't matter as much to me if they hadn't not done it the first time and ended up firing the guy with the credentials 'they wanted'. And if Holmgren hadn't identified the guy he wanted and that went up in flames.

Now it matters to me. And maybe it shouldn't. Because it sure seems to me it ain't necessarily the coaches as much as it the guys hiring them and making the determination of what they want.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:04 pm

There are two ways to look at this; hire a good coach and watch him struggle with the 3-Stooges as his FO, or hire MikkyD and watch the whole shithouse go up in flames and get a full re-boot in 3 years.

I'll take option B. At this point I've gotten used to rooting against the team.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:15 pm

FUDU wrote:

Stoops.

At least he's been HMFIC of something legit, for a substantial amount of time, and had success doing so.

Good point. All of his experience is at the college level but spending so much time running the ship has to count for something. I thnk I'd prefer him too, if only because it'd be more interesting before the inevitable bed-shitting.

But I'm also in the minority of not hating McDaniels too.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:23 pm

Hikohadon wrote:

You nailed 2 of mine, Shaw and Malzahn. Somewhat interested in Jay Gruden (NOT Jon), Zimmer too. NOT interested in any coordinators doing well in positions they've been in for one year and which were in great shape when they took them over (read: OC in Denver, DC in Seattle).

FWIW (not much) Randy Hart (former Buckeye) is DL coach at Stanford and friend of family. His sister flew out for a game in November and told me that Shaw struck her as one of the most intelligent people she'd ever spoken to in her life.

So at least one person confirms he's not a Shurmer, I mean not a moron.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:01 pm

Love Shaw.

Problem with a Shaw is he's too good a candidate.

Why the hell would that guy coach here?

He could have arguably the top collegiate position (Texas) tomorrow if he chose, and if he wants to coach pro, he doesn't have to start at the bottom.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:02 am

HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:You nailed 2 of mine, Shaw and Malzahn.

Have you seen Auburn's run/pass ratios lately under Malzahn?

If so, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH HIKO? Out of curiosity.

Hiko has noticed that Chip Kelly has adapted his offense to fit his NFL talent, and thinks (hopes) Malzahn can do the same.

See how quickly the new Hiko adapts?
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:05 am

leadpipe wrote:Love Shaw.

He could have arguably the top collegiate position (Texas) tomorrow if he chose, and if he wants to coach pro, he doesn't have to start at the bottom.

This theory goes for all candidates.

If they're a good candidate, odds are the situation they're in is better than this one. So that makes them a moron for taking our job. We don't need another moron as Head Coach.

And so it goes.
Hikohadon

Unread postby justmebd » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:43 am

Hikohadon wrote:
leadpipe wrote:Love Shaw.

This theory goes for all candidates.

If they're a good candidate, odds are the situation they're in is better than this one. So that makes them a moron for taking our job. We don't need another moron as Head Coach.

And so it goes.

:pb: :hic: :bag:
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:32 pm

Grossi reporting that McDaniels does not want the job. Paraphrasing a scene from Leathal Weapon 1

Haslam: Hey, look friend, let's just cut the shit. Now we both know why you were brought in here. This was what the league office wanted and the only way I could get a franchise.

Banner: Everybody thinks I'm a power hungry asshole, in which case, I'm fucked and nobody wants to coach here; or they think Lombardi is an evil backstabbing psycopath, in which case, I'm fucked and nobody wants to coach here. Basically, I'm fucked.

Haslam: Guess what?

Banner: What?

Haslam: I don't want to work with you!

Banner: Hey, don't.

Haslam: Ain't got no choice! Looks like we both been fucked!

Banner: Terrific.
mattvan1

Unread postby justmebd » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:08 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Grossi reporting that McDaniels does not want the job. Paraphrasing a scene from Leathal Weapon 1

Haslam: Hey, look friend, let's just cut the shit. Now we both know why you were brought in here. This was what the league office wanted and the only way I could get a franchise.

Banner: Everybody thinks I'm a power hungry asshole, in which case, I'm fucked and nobody wants to coach here; or they think Lombardi is an evil backstabbing psycopath, in which case, I'm fucked and nobody wants to coach here. Basically, I'm fucked.

Can I be Mr. Joshua?
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:41 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Grossi reporting that McDaniels does not want the job. Paraphrasing a scene from Leathal Weapon 1

That's giving Haslam a lot of credit. It ain't like the NFL is gonna take their ball back if Haslam 86's Banner and his Wormtongue. :)
Hikohadon

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:41 pm

McDaniels withdraws name from Browns HC Job per Schefter
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:00 pm

Guy probably has one NFL chance left. Hard to blame him for not finding this situation the optimal opportunity.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:09 pm

I agree, Why not ride out these next few years with Brady and BB, his value will only increase
Nicastro13

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:10 pm

Nicastro13 wrote:I agree, Why not ride out these next few years with Brady and BB, his value will only increase

Yep. And a few years will help erase (somewhat) the Denver stigma as well as his age-related issues. Great gig if you can get it and still be handsomely paid.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:20 pm

He is supposed to be the heir apparent in New England to The Hoodie, why would he pass that up.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:43 pm

Govbarney wrote:He is supposed to be the heir apparent in New England to The Hoodie, why would he pass that up.

Because he might be waiting 10 years and by the time Belicheck retires, Brady will have too?
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:24 pm

Anyone wanting to follow in Belicheck's shoes is an idiot; when Brady goes, barring a Luck type miracle, NE is going to suck for a while, and that fanbase is going to hate the successor coach.

I'm sure that McDaniels will go somewhere else, he's just looking for a better situation.

Which tells me far more about Banner and Lombardi than it does about anything else.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:52 pm

Mike Lombardi: How would you like to coach the Browns this year?

Josh McDaniels: Gee, I don't know...

Mike Lombardi: What do you mean, you don't know? This is your chance to be an NFL Head Coach again.

Josh McDaniels: Let me get back to you, will ya, Mike? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls.

Hikohadon

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:13 pm

this is perfect!
Nicastro13

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:42 pm

We've gone from the Stooges "not getting their 1st choice" last year to this years "will somebody please come and coach for us?" Total incompetence. :thud:
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:45 pm

Mary Kay Cabot tweeted that josh withdrew because he was not the browns top choice
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:07 am

Hope it wasn't Jay Gruden. He's getting a deal done with 'Skins as we speak.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:39 am

How do they even have a top choice? They've talked to, what, 2 people so far? How do they go into a meeting with. McDaniels and tell him "hey dude, we think you're great, or at least pretty decent, and if it doesn't work out with this other guy we like a whole lot more we are very, or at least somewhat interested."?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:36 am

Love child of shawn kemp wrote:Mary Kay Cabot tweeted that josh withdrew because he was not the browns top choice

I doubt that's true, but if it is, says Joshie is too sensitive for the job anyway. Specially after they start beating up his kids at school and egging his parents house.
Hikohadon

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:50 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
Love child of shawn kemp wrote:Mary Kay Cabot tweeted that josh withdrew because he was not the browns top choice

I doubt that's true, but if it is, says Joshie is too sensitive for the job anyway. Specially after they start beating up his kids at school and egging his parents house.

McDaniels was Banbardi's first choice.

Not Jimmy's. So it appears that Bumblefuck 1 and Bumblefuck 2 have lost a bit of authority in this trainwreck.
mattvan1

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:29 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

McDaniels was Banbardi's first choice.

Not Jimmy's. So it appears that Bumblefuck 1 and Bumblefuck 2 have lost a bit of authority in this trainwreck.

As (very slightly) encouraging as that may be, I'd be a lot happier if Jimmy canned the Bumblefucks before they had a chance to Bumblefuck up the draft.

And it would also be cool if maybe a competent GM were involved in the coaching search too, since Haslam hiring coaches makes me feel as warm and fuzzy as Lerner hiring coaches.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jerryroche » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:40 pm

This might be the only head coaching job in the NFL where the top candidates have leverage over the team doing the hiring. This is the predicament that the Browns have worked themselves into, thanks to their heavy-handed handling of Pat Shurmur and, more significantly, Chud.

Right now, it appears that the FO is flopping around like a catfish stuck in the sand at Edgewater. In January. The nation watches and laughs.

If I were offered the job, I'd demand a nice salary with a five-year, no-excuses, guarantee and anything else I deemed necessary for eventual success--like total control over the coaching staff and at least a say in the draft. Anything less and it's "adios, Bumblefuck 1 and Bumblefuck 2."
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:46 pm

I have lowered the bar so far regarding my expectations for this hire. I have no expectations at all that this leadership group will bring us a good coach. None whatsoever.

My expectation is that we will look back at Chud and his staff and wish we had them back. Heck, maybe they'd pull a Gilbert and hire Chud back in a few years. Heck, next year.

My expectation is that we will hire a coach that will continue the cycle of changing defensive schemes to continue to set us back.

And then after they screw this up, I have the same expectation for the draft. Just depressing.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL