Text Size

College Sports Arena

Bowl Season

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Bowl Season

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:49 am

Well somewhere there are journalists in B12 land bitching about the narrative.

And of course if Okie St. beats Mizzou...
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:24 am

#SECisthebestconferenceeverandnootherteamcanpossiblycompetewiththem.a3lossSECteamshouldplayforthenationaltitlebecaseSEC!
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:23 am

So you can already hear the narrative, "Bama didn't play inspired ball because the Sugar Bowl was a letdown." There might be some truth to that, but I have been saying since the beginning of the year that this 'Bama team is not last year's or the year before's. They were my preferred match up for OSU in a NCG because their defense is a bit suspect and AJ McCarron is overrated.

That said, there are some serious issues with OSU tonight that somewhat mirror the 'Bama game (and I bet they get none of the "letdown" benefit of the doubt). Miller has basically come out and said he is going pro if he plays well. Spence is suspended. Roby is sitting this one out (I guess he is actually injured, but would play if it was an NCG). Shazier's father is already interviewing agents (seriously).

Tonight could be a long night as it seems most of the team is concerned about other things and Clemson's 2 first round WRs are striking right at OSU's Achilles Heel.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:19 am

furls wrote:
Miller has basically come out and said he is going pro if he plays well.

'Cause he is looking forward to going late 3rd early 4th round? Declaring now would be huge mistake for him IMO. I like the kid a lot but man does he need more time.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:29 am

mattvan1 wrote:
furls wrote:

'Cause he is looking forward to going late 3rd early 4th round? Declaring now would be huge mistake for him IMO. I like the kid a lot but man does he need more time.

I agree from a football standpoint that he should come back. And if he grades out to the 3rd or 4th round I'm guessing he will. But if he grades out in the 1st he HAS to go. Too much money at stake to return and risk injury or taking a Barkley nosedive down the draft board.

Late 1/ early 2...I don't know what the right call is.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby pup » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:28 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
furls wrote:

Not sure what he gains by staying. Get into an NFL system and start learning how to play QB instead of RB. What he loses on contract 1 he gains on contract 2.

If anyone thinks he is worthy a 1/2 next year based on projecting him out, why wouldn't they take him now in the 1/2 and get to work on him?

Sitting around watching some of these guys get pimped as 1st rounders...i would be real inclined to leave. ESpecially if next year is now shaping up to be the bad ass QB draft everything thought this one was supposed to be.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:57 pm

I can't imagine Braxton lasting very far into the 2nd round based on talent alone. I'd leave too if I was him.

Wasn't Boyd projected in the top half of the 1st last year before he decided to return? Bad decision.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:43 pm

Maybe I'm downgrading him for his crappy last 2 games as a passer. As an overall running talent the kid is a first rounder, no doubt. But you have to be able throw more than bubble screens and go routes in the NFL.

Plus, it would save me from having to watch Cardale Jones 11 times next year. Has he started to attend class at least?
mattvan1

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:41 pm

Miller will grade out 3rd/4th round and that is where he will get drafted by a team willing to take a flyer. I think it is an enormous mistake, but it is one he will make because he has 2 kids to feed. This is why I hate the NCAA amateurism rules. Realistically, he cannot provide for his kids. Yes, I am aware that he should've used birth control and never caused the pregnancies to begin with or whatever. The fact of the matter is that, kids are going to have sex and they are not always going to be smart about it no matter how "common sense" it is to the rest of us. I had a kid at a very inconvenient time at 19 years old. I get it.

If he could make some scratch now, he would probably come back and improve his future draft grade.

As it stands now, I expect him to go pro unless he has a Troy Smith-like game tonight and end up as a 3rd string, project QB on some bad team and struggle to get any reps and never really develop, because these project guys rarely do in the NFL; there just aren't enough practice reps. Miller is not even college accurate throwing the ball now, let alone NFL accurate, but what does he have to gain by coming back? Another year of risking injury while running the ball in an offense that is pass averse? It just doesn't make sense for him to comeback unless OSU throws more and he can make another jump from his Jr. to Sr. year like he did last year.

I am sure OSU made him some of those promises from last year to this year, but the offense was still 100% predicated on the inside run with Hyde and the read option for Miller. Neither of those things does anything for his draft stock. I think that + the mouths to feed will be enough to put him in the draft a year too early. His offhand comment about not liking taking the pounding he does everyday is very revealing about his displeasure with the nature of this offense.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:08 pm

While I don't want to see him go, as a Buckeye fan (b/c we were going to drop off WITH him, might really drop off without) it does make some sense to leave now, just from the stand point he might have less competition this coming NFL draft as opposed to next. Unless he makes a dramatic jump in accuracy AND reading defenses was he going to go THAT much higher next draft (if he stayed) as opposed to where he'll "probably" go this draft?

Chances are he'd never last to the 4th and maybe not even till the third, just like he'd probably never be a first either.

Hate to say it but our BEST opportunity for a quick NC with Urban was last year, v. ND. Without a Miller and a solid D I don't see how we sniff one for at least two seasons if not three.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:47 pm

It is just very unlikely that he will end up in a situation where there is a realistic shot at success. No one that drafts him will be drafting him as a back up, he will be drafted as a 3rd string project and those guys have a terrible track record.

If he could excel next year at OSU and make some significant improvement throwing then he would be likely drafted as a back up and not as a guy that is competing for a roster spot every year and getting almost no reps to improve.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:03 pm

furls wrote:It is just very unlikely that he will end up in a situation where there is a realistic shot at success. No one that drafts him will be drafting him as a back up, he will be drafted as a 3rd string project and those guys have a terrible track record.

If he could excel next year at OSU and make some significant improvement throwing then he would be likely drafted as a back up and not as a guy that is competing for a roster spot every year and getting almost no reps to improve.

This x100.

The best thing for Miller and the program would be for him to return.
mattvan1

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena