Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Worst Case Scenario

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Worst Case Scenario

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:02 am

Throw it up here since you know it's likely to come to pass. What's your worst case scenario for new coach and 1st round (#4 overall) pick?

Coach - Josh McDaniels (worst coaching hire in a vast history of bad coaching hires)
Pick - Johnny Manziel (worst Top 10 pick in a vast history of bad top 10 picks)
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Worst Case Scenario

Unread postby justmebd » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:11 am

Hikohadon wrote:Throw it up here since you know it's likely to come to pass. What's your worst case scenario for new coach and 1st round (#4 overall) pick?

Coach - Josh McDaniels (worst coaching hire in a vast history of bad coaching hires)

Yep, that about sums it up. I wish I could argue with this.

Of course, Manziel may decide to pull an Eli Manning, which would be 10 kinds of entertaining.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:07 pm

Coach: Jim Schwartz. I'm one of the few who would be O.K. with McDaniel's, I think there was allot of factors that led to his failure in Denver (i.e. age, to much power) that he wont have to deal with if hired in Cleveland , and I am about 99% certain he will be the guy , my guess is last year after Chip didnt pan out they wanted MickyD, but he didnt want to bolt NE after he just got there b/c of his family, then at some point late this season through back room channels he sent word to the Browns that he was ready to bolt, and that's when the decision was made to dump Chud.

1stRndDraftPick: Johnny M, after we pull off a trade with STL to jump ahead of JAX and grab him. If we stand pat at #4 and JAX doesn't grab him but we do I'm sort of alright with that... My gut tells me Johnny will be a bust, but who knows anymore, I sure as hell didnt see Russel Wilson being a NFL success. With Winston, Hundley and Mariota I like next years QB class a hell of allot better.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:15 pm

Russell Wilson has twice the arm that Johnny F does. I think people only compare them because they're both under 6 foot.

If McDaniels hadn't been an abject DISASTER everywhere he's been except NE (read: with Tom Brady and under Billy B), I'd feel better about him. I could even forgive the Denver meltdown as a learning experience if he hadn't been so awful as OC in STL right after that.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Pabo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:28 pm

Coach - It doesn't matter.

Pick - It doesn't matter.

What I'd like to see these idiots do is trade Josh Gordon for like a fourth-round pick, and then draft all defense.

Gordon is sure to fall victim to the Browns' curious trademark quality of occasionally having a player have exactly one great season. (Think Hillis, Anderson, Edwards, et al.)
Bottom 4th: Cleveland
- J. Kipnis grounded out to shortstop
- A. Cabrera doubled to deep left
- N. Swisher doubled to center, A. Cabrera scored
- J. Giambi doubled to deep right center, N. Swisher to third, N. Swisher out at home
- J. Giambi caught stealing, catcher to third

1 run, 3 hits, 0 errors
Pabo

Favorite Player: Jason Giambi
Least Favorite Player: Joe Haden

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:33 pm

I'd be OK with a McDaniels hire. Hopeful, even.

My worst case scenario:

HC: Norv
#4: Carr
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:35 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Russell Wilson has twice the arm that Johnny F does. I think people only compare them because they're both under 6 foot.

If McDaniels hadn't been an abject DISASTER everywhere he's been except NE (read: with Tom Brady and under Billy B), I'd feel better about him. I could even forgive the Denver meltdown as a learning experience if he hadn't been so awful as OC in STL right after that.

Yea for some reason I forgot he was with STL in '11 and not '10. That '11 STL Offense was ugly... Okay , I feel less great about McDaniels now.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Squints » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:50 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Throw it up here since you know it's likely to come to pass. What's your worst case scenario for new coach and 1st round (#4 overall) pick?

This is exactly it for me as well for reasons already voiced. Swartz would be a close second. I wish they would cut down the Belichick coaching tree inside Berea and remove the stump while they were at it.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:53 pm

HoodooMan wrote:I'd be OK with a McDaniels hire. Hopeful, even.

My worst case scenario:

Yeah, Carr would be my 1A. The only reason Manziel beats him on my list is that Carr wouldn't have nearly the cadre of annoying fan-boi devotees. Colt's Army of Stupid would have nothing on Manziel's Moronic Masses.
Hikohadon

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:14 pm

I still think of that as a silver lining.

If he's good (IMO he has a much better chance than Carr), and we're good with him while the Steelers continue their slide into poopiness, what a delightful twist of the knife that would be for Steelers fans. The QB equivalent of Hines Ward's smile. I'd be kind of giddy about that.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:27 pm

HoodooMan wrote:I still think of that as a silver lining.

If he's good (IMO he has a much better chance than Carr), and we're good with him while the Steelers continue their slide into poopiness, what a delightful twist of the knife that would be for Steelers fans. The QB equivalent of Hines Ward's smile. I'd be kind of giddy about that.

Ah, but you see, my thinking is he can nothing short of a Tim Tebow-with-the-Jets disaster. I don't see him as just being ah-ight or "kind of disappointing", I see him as stuffing a grenade down the front of your pants and pulling the pin.

We are already a clown show, but a clown show with intense national attention? Ick.

Or maybe I should embrace how amusing that could potentially be... Dee Haslam could make a helluva sitcom out of it.
Hikohadon

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:41 pm

My worst case scenario:

That.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby scott » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:28 pm

pod2dawg wrote:

My worst case scenario:

That.

McDaniels drafted Tebow in the 1st round. I know he won't have the authority to pull that here, but think of the judgement that displays. I wouldn't trust him to manage my Subway franchise (assuming I had a Subway franchise).
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby General » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:42 pm

We're already on the threshold of hell. What difference does anyone make? Bring them all in and fire up the calliope. :dingle:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization-Do I really have to change this?
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby rbm0183 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:56 am

Jason La Canfora tweets that Auburn HC Gus Malzahn and Vanderbilt HC James Franklin are the top candidates along with McDaniels for the Browns job.

Malzahn's resume is kind of impressive, especially what he's done this year. I know nothing about Franklin.

If we've talking worst case scenario: Jim Schwartz would be a nightmare. Although he's certainly enough of a jerk to fit right in with Banner and co.

The idea of using the 4th pick on Derek Carr scares the crap out of me, too.
---"It was great training being there. They do it with character and intelligence. They run that organization the right way. They build through the draft. They're patient. It's just the right way to do it. It was a tremendous opportunity to be with them." Jimmy Haslam on why he'd model the Browns after the Steelers, 10/16/12
:loadof:
rbm0183

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby scrambler » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:38 am

Coach--anyone
Pick--anyone

Any coaching selection and/or 4th pick in draft will be a disaster. There are zero good scenarios possible here. Zero. Vince Lombardi could not win 6 games coaching here nor could Joe Montana win 6 games playing qb. It's all worst case. I see nothing remotely turning out good in selecting a coach or in the draft.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:23 am

scott wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:

My worst case scenario:

That.

McDaniels drafted Tebow in the 1st round. I know he won't have the authority to pull that here, but think of the judgement that displays. I wouldn't trust him to manage my Subway franchise (assuming I had a Subway franchise).

OMG you are right!!! Biggest train wreck......McDaniels........talks Tebow out of the booth......we win 6 games running the wildcat..........trade Hoyer............draft Carr.........he pulls a " Weeden/ David Carr"......we miss out on the Famous Jameis, Mariotta, & Hundley.....as they all go 3 in a row just before our pick next year.

Excuse me Josh.....I'll have the Italialn Deli on toasted Herbs & cheese w provolone please .
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:47 am

For any potential McDaniels defenders out there, it's important to note that Lombardi is an enabler. Whatever McDaniels will want to do will be endorsed.

So if McDaniels wants to bring Tebow in, Lombardi is going to tell everyone what a forward-thinking guy he is and make it happen.

This won't be the Three Stooges if McDaniels gets hired, it'll be the friggin Marx Brothers.

Who's Harpo in this scenario?
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:26 pm

rbm0183 wrote:Jason La Canfora tweets that Auburn HC Gus Malzahn and Vanderbilt HC James Franklin are the top candidates along with McDaniels for the Browns job.

Malzahn's resume is kind of impressive, especially what he's done this year. I know nothing about Franklin.

If we've talking worst case scenario: Jim Schwartz would be a nightmare. Although he's certainly enough of a jerk to fit right in with Banner and co.

The idea of using the 4th pick on Derek Carr scares the crap out of me, too.

Malzahn is certainly interesting.
Hikohadon

Unread postby coachMueller » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:36 pm

I live in Nashville and met James Franklin when he came to the school where I teach to recruit one of our wide receivers. He is an impressive, charismatic coach who has quickly transformed Vanderbilt football into a competitive team in the most competitive conference. He is an excellent recruiter and I think the younger players in the NFL would probably like playing for him. He is very accessible and the media here love him. I coach cross country and track so I don't know enough about football X's and O's to predict what kind of offense/defense he would want to run in the NFL, but he would be an interesting hire for the Browns.
coachMueller

Favorite Player: Mickey Callaway
Least Favorite Player: John Elway

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:35 pm

coachMueller wrote:I live in Nashville and met James Franklin when he came to the school where I teach to recruit one of our wide receivers. He is an impressive, charismatic coach who has quickly transformed Vanderbilt football into a competitive team in the most competitive conference. He is an excellent recruiter and I think the younger players in the NFL would probably like playing for him. He is very accessible and the media here love him. I coach cross country and track so I don't know enough about football X's and O's to predict what kind of offense/defense he would want to run in the NFL, but he would be an interesting hire for the Browns.

Thanks for the info. I haven't watched Vandy at all this year, so I personally have no clue about this guy other than he sounds like one of the main candidates for the Texas job (a MUCH more attractive job than the Browns, as far as I'm concerned).
Hikohadon

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:57 pm

Worst Case is Josh McDaniels.

An asshole that ran off talented players, and ran his team completely into the ground. A team, I may add, that is historically VERY hard do that with.

I may add I want nothing to do with ANYBODY in the Belichick coaching tree aside from potentially say...Scott Pioli in the Front Office.

Best Case, I'll do it this way in tiers:

I: Saban, Gruden, Cowher, Parcells
II: Shaw, Malzahn, Sumlin:
III: Whisenhunt, Shanahan, Franklin.
IV: Mike Zimmer

First tier is unlikely as hell, but those are people you at least have to toss money at just to see if they'd be remotely interested.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby idoctribefan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:34 pm

I agree that this is the worst-case scenario. However, it may also be the most entertaining. At this point I have no hope for this crew to turn the Browns into a consistent winner. Bringing McDaniels and Johnny Football into First Energy Stadium turns this current trainwreck into Hiroshima. If I'm going to be disappointed every Sunday, may as well be disappointed spectacularly.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:48 pm

idoctribefan wrote:
I agree that this is the worst-case scenario. However, it may also be the most entertaining. At this point I have no hope for this crew to turn the Browns into a consistent winner. Bringing McDaniels and Johnny Football into First Energy Stadium turns this current trainwreck into Hiroshima. If I'm going to be disappointed every Sunday, may as well be disappointed spectacularly.

Awesome! Someone else is on Team Johnny-Jo McDawgpound.

We need shirts.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:08 pm

You know, it'd be nice if Johnny Football wasn't just a Tim Tebow-like gimmick (I'm assuming), because it'd be nice to see a guy of that playmaking ability in orange and brown.

Granted, no, I'm not saying "draft him" because he likely has a Colt McCoy-like skillset, but damn if this team doesn't need a guy who could make plays out of nothing.

It would really, really, really help if Marriota did the smart thing and tossed his hat into the ring because then it would allow us some flexibility in that case.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:29 pm

I don't think Manziel is a gimmick. I also think he's a far better pro option than Colt was. I just want nothing to do with the guy at #4. Far too much famine potential when looking at the feast/famine spectrum.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:54 pm

peeker643 wrote:I don't think Manziel is a gimmick. I also think he's a far better pro option than Colt was. I just want nothing to do with the guy at #4. Far too much famine potential when looking at the feast/famine spectrum.

I don't know...is he "Ryan Leaf"-arrogant, or "Deion Sanders"-arrogant?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlCOs2D80Zg

There's nothing wrong with being "arrogant", so long as he's a good teammate, works hard, and pretty much backs everything up. "Primetime" for example was a showboat on the field, but you never heard anything about how bad he was as a teammate.

Triple-S

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:58 pm

peeker643 wrote:I don't think Manziel is a gimmick. I also think he's a far better pro option than Colt was. I just want nothing to do with the guy at #4. Far too much famine potential when looking at the feast/famine spectrum.

I agree, way to much polarity in the risk reward aspect. Guy has signs that he could be truly great in the NFL, but there is enough to project him as a bust if everything didn't go perfect for him. At #4, no thanks, at something in the 20s or one of the first picks in the second I wouldn't be upset.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:49 pm

In my best case scenario I'd like to see us pair our extra 3rd and 4th and try to move up one slot to get Clowney. And then grab JF with that 2nd 1st rounder.

No way they are that patient. Clowney would make our D-line one of, if not THE, best D-line in the league.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:09 pm

Blake Bortles is shooting up my worst case scenarios list.

With a bullet.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:19 pm

peeker643 wrote:Blake Bortles is shooting up my worst case scenarios list.

With a bullet.

Honestly our best case is to have as many QB prospects to come out and for the draft to be 83/04-esque.

Marriota, Hundley would help immensely to make the stock more deep in this draft.

Just hope we don't get stuck with Blackledge/Eason/O'Brien or J. P. Losman

Triple-S

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:23 pm

SD:

Substitute Carrs pussy ass , for the ignomanic Johny Cash , and then you'll be set .

Shit sandwich Royale.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:51 am

Triple-S wrote:

There's nothing wrong with being "arrogant", so long as he's a good teammate, works hard, and pretty much backs everything up. "Primetime" for example was a showboat on the field, but you never heard anything about how bad he was as a teammate.

My issue with the guy has nothing to do with his attitude or his personal life or his arrogance or etc.

I simply feel like all that jumping/spinning/running circles shit that is so exciting to watch in college will get him killed in the NFL. And you take that away, there isn't really much there other than very average passing skills and small frame.

Right now he's the annoying fly that no one can catch, but they got fly swatters at the next level.

But, as has been mentioned before, bring it on if you want to, Jimmy. No reason to let the team die of starvation - nuke the thing.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:13 am

Hikohadon wrote:But, as has been mentioned before, bring it on if you want to, Jimmy. No reason to let the team die of starvation - nuke the thing.

I just don't know.

As it stands now, we KNOW that we're not going to get "The Guy" this year. We're 4th in line behind 2 teams MINIMUM that are going to draft a QB (this is praying that the Rams don't draft a QB).

So we're stuck in a bad situation regardless.

We're forgetting about Hoyer in all of this, whom I believe (hope) will be the starter next season. So whomever the hell we're starting is likely going to be riding pine AT LEAST the first 8 games of the season.

Triple-S

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:33 am

Hikohadon wrote:I simply feel like all that jumping/spinning/running circles shit that is so exciting to watch in college will get him killed in the NFL.

Must see TV.

But the rules have changed in favor of his game. It's hands off the QB at all times now. The NFL is actually the best place for him, average passing skills and all.

Bortles did show out a bit last night- but I still want JDP!
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:34 am

Hikohadon wrote:
Triple-S wrote:

My issue with the guy has nothing to do with his attitude or his personal life or his arrogance or etc.

I simply feel like all that jumping/spinning/running circles shit that is so exciting to watch in college will get him killed in the NFL. And you take that away, there isn't really much there other than very average passing skills and small frame.

Right now he's the annoying fly that no one can catch, but they got fly swatters at the next level.

But, as has been mentioned before, bring it on if you want to, Jimmy. No reason to let the team die of starvation - nuke the thing.

I agree with what you're saying, but he did do this in the SEC, if there ever was a NFL minor league, just saying its not like he was playing terrible competition the last two years. I wanted nothing to do with him, but I think we could use a little attitude and fire on this team, plus I wanna do the money thing with my hands on sundays!
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:30 am

If Bortles "showed out" last night you either read a box score and didn't watch the game or you're a Bortles honk to begin with.

That was as meh as meh can be.

Excellent draft choice as a running back. ;-) ;) :wink:

As a QB? Nope. I agree with Daniel Jeremiah: Bortles upside might well be Jake Locker.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:40 am

As to Bortles last night, this is fair enough.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ter_nfl_cb

Miserable first half where he threw with shitty mechanics and balance, better in 2nd half. Still, I'd say 75% of his yardage came after catch on quick throws, hitches, screens, etc.

Not saying big upside projects don't go really high (like Locker and Tannehill), just saying this guy has a lot of work to do and if that's what ya want with #4 then caveat emptor.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:17 pm

peeker643 wrote:If Bortles "showed out" last night you either read a box score and didn't watch the game or you're a Bortles honk to begin with.

Watched the first half:

1. Pressure was an issue, but he kept his eyes down field and made some good plays on the run
2. A lot of the stats were due to YAC, but you have to put the ball in a good spot to give your guy a chance to run with it. Not exactly throwing the guy open, but some good throws regardless
3. Made some good plays with his feet

I agree, probably not at 4, but better than Carr. No Johnny Dawgpound.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:29 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
peeker643 wrote:If Bortles "showed out" last night you either read a box score and didn't watch the game or you're a Bortles honk to begin with.

Watched the first half:

1. Pressure was an issue, but he kept his eyes down field and made some good plays on the run
2. A lot of the stats were due to YAC, but you have to put the ball in a good spot to give your guy a chance to run with it. Not exactly throwing the guy open, but some good throws regardless
3. Made some good plays with his feet

I agree, probably not at 4, but better than Carr. No Johnny Dawgpound.

Meh. With 6 minutes left in half he was 3/9 for 50 yards and two ints. While that fits perfectly with Browns QB play I was hoping to see something more.

Then he threw a 9 yd hitch that went 80yds. That happened again in 3rd qtr.

Not destroying the kid for a bad game/half/whatever. Just don't see anything that makes me want to use #4 on him.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:47 pm

Bortles has got a tough decision ahead of him. On one hand I think most agree that he could use another year of seasoning. On the other hand he has got a few things going against him if he returns to College next year, the QB class will be more crowded with high caliber talent, plus there is a good chance he wont have the services of Storm Johnson to take pressure off the passing game.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:52 pm

Worst Case:

McDaniels as HC, which seems inevitable at this point. Not sure anything else matters.

As for JPF, I keep hearing the FO likes him, but that would be... out of character for them to take someone they might not be able to totally control, no?
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:43 pm

I'm not sure why McDaniels is so universally hated around here. I'm not saying that anyone should be excited about him or printing off playoff tickets, but I don't get why he'd be so much worse than anyone else. Dude drafted Tebow. I get it. But WORST HIRE IN HISTORY seems to be some pretty strong hyperbole for fans of a team that not too long ago lived through 2 years of Shurmerball directly on the heels of Mangini.

I know I know...Belichick tree and all that. I don't see any reason to assume that someone from that or any other tree is any more or less likely to end up a good HC than anyone else. The tree has nothing to do with it.

How Jim Schwartz, who just bumblefucked away incredible talent in Detroit, and is apparently a realistic possiblity in Cleveland, could be considered a better hire on these boards than Josh McDaniel is beyond me.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:46 pm

Govbarney wrote:Bortles has got a tough decision ahead of him. On one hand I think most agree that he could use another year of seasoning. On the other hand he has got a few things going against him if he returns to College next year, the QB class will be more crowded with high caliber talent, plus there is a good chance he wont have the services of Storm Johnson to take pressure off the passing game.

Not a tough decision. If the dude is set to go in the first round, especially top 10 he HAS to go. Has to. It would be so stupid not to go.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:57 pm

Re: Bortles: i'm not as bearish on Bortles as a lot of folks. Think he limited turnovers for the most part, and its easy to see a lot of WOW throws over the course of the year. Think he's best served somewhere that he can sit and learn for a year, like all of the non-Teddy-Bridgewater quarterbacks available this year. That wheel route he threw while getting smashed in the pocket in the 1st quarter vs. Baylor was an absolutely beautiful strike, on the hands. He also fucked up a lot of easy 5 yard routes in the first half, which he rectified in the second.

He's still behind a few guys on my QB's board, but I still think he's a 1st/high 2nd rounder. Compares a lot to Big ben, tools-wise.

As far as suicide picks for coaching/#4 pick, we're already past the point of no return. Going to be McDaniels and Manziel, and i'm happy for it. Both are the largest feast/famine picks, and when they fail, it will be so spectacularly that Lombardi goes with both of them. Manziel has great touch on the intermediate stuff, but the drunken baby scrambling is going to get him killed, and he's going to throw a LOT more picks in the league trying to improvise.

The guy McDaniels and Lombardi should want is Carr; his college system of throwing screens and 5 yard passes uniquely qualifies him to run that Patriots offense which involves relatively zero downfield passes.

Also, should be shitty enough to make sure the Browns get the #1/2 pick that year and actually give themselves a chance at a real QB. Hope it's in 2015, where there's nice options at the top of the draft. (Mariota, Winston, etc)

For those thinking Shwartz is the worst case scenario, I assure you Lombardi with Shwartz as the DC trying to run some multiple 3-4/4-3 front will be far, far worse.

Would be nice in some sort of a pipe dream to get Franklin or Malzahn, but I have zero idea why any hot college coach wants to end his career in one fell swoop.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:08 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I'm not sure why McDaniels is so universally hated around here.

1. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/06/mitch-berger-unloads-on-josh-mcdaniels/

2. Lombardi loves him, which means most everyone else hates him
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:25 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:I'm not sure why McDaniels is so universally hated around here.

1. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/06/mitch-berger-unloads-on-josh-mcdaniels/

Yeesh. "Mitch Berger Unloads on Josh McDaniels"...that sounds like a messy situation.

But seriously, that article is concerning.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:27 pm

Man, Malzahn may pull off one of the fastest transitions in coaching. Dude was at Springdale High School in Arkansas in 2005. Didn't get his first HC job until 2012. One year at Arkansas State, and one year at Auburn... and now we're talking about him getting an NFL interview?

I'm not saying anything, but did he sell his soul to the devil in 2005? And if that's the case, can we take advantage of that before he dies in a tragic golfing accident?
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:57 pm

mattvan1 wrote:

In this instance, the worst case scenario might ultimately be the best case scenario. Hire this douche-bag and he'll take Banner and Lombardi with him when he sucks. In three years...

Hey guys, it's all part of the master plan to contend in 2036.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:21 pm

bookelly wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

In this instance, the worst case scenario might ultimately be the best case scenario. Hire this douche-bag and he'll take Banner and Lombardi with him when he sucks. In three years...

Hey guys, it's all part of the master plan to contend in 2036.

Why the optimism?
CleSportsTruth

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL