Text Size

College Sports Arena

Bowl Season

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Bowl Season

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:00 pm

Am I the only one that doesn't really seem to care about bowl season? Sure, I'll watch the Bucks, but the rest of the bowl season just is not captivating me. I am excited to see Sugar Shane Morris make his first start for the urine and blue tonight.

You know what separates B1G fans from SEC fans (aside from years of inbreeding)? I never root for my team's rivals.... ever. There are lots of 'Bama fans rooting for Aubarn in the NCG in order to keep the crystal football in the family. I would rather see 10 more SEC championships than see a single one go up north.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Bowl Season

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:58 pm

Nope. I feel the same way. Said it in another thread somewhere but these matchups don't captivate me in the least. I do think OSU/Clemson is about the most entertaining BCS game. But I'd rather watch TvLand than watch Alabama/Oklahoma or Stanford/Mich St.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:02 pm

Honestly, this point has been brought up ad nauseum, but there are just too many bowls with very little thought to the value (on the field) of the match ups. Most of the matchups are the by product of some bowl deal. It is unfortunate because I am really disinterested in this year's bowls even though there are some interesting teams out there.

I think they could rename the MSU vs. Stanford game, the "Sherwin Williams 'Watching Paint Dry' Bowl." OSU vs. Clemson is interesting, FSU vs. Aubarn is interesting. The rest really isn't.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:47 pm

Have not watched a single snap of any bowl game yet. Nevertheless, I think there are some compelling match ups involving B10 teams. Would be nice to see strong showings by Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State ands Wisconsin.

I always root for the conference to do well, except for UM. I hope they get ass fucked by K State to the tune of 38 -10.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:05 am

scUM is terrible. OSU should be embarrassed by that game. Seriously.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:22 am

Shane Morris is their best offensive player tonight. He has looked much better than I expected. I can't believe how bad Michigan's OL is at run blocking.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:00 pm

On Fox News Sunday they were doing 2014 predictions on a variety of topics when it came to sports Bret Hume's 2014 prediction was that people will miss the BCS. He stated that for all of the criticisms that the BCS was very succesful in selecting the top 2 teams and matching them together to determine the top team each year. He said he thinks the new system will be worse and more controversial.

I agree with him. That said, I seem to be one of the few that likes watching as many bowl games as I can.

On a side note, most of the economic predictions were quite positive for 2014--even some comments about the Dow going over 18,000 in 2014.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:57 pm

I've watched at least some of every one so far. I love bowl season. My waistline and digestive system do not.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:16 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:On Fox News Sunday they were doing 2014 predictions on a variety of topics when it came to sports Bret Hume's 2014 prediction was that people will miss the BCS. He stated that for all of the criticisms that the BCS was very succesful in selecting the top 2 teams and matching them together to determine the top team each year. He said he thinks the new system will be worse and more controversial.

I agree with him. That said, I seem to be one of the few that likes watching as many bowl games as I can.

On a side note, most of the economic predictions were quite positive for 2014--even some comments about the Dow going over 18,000 in 2014.

I sort of agree with Hume. Except, based on your comment, I think he is missing the real reason why we will miss the BCS. Once the playoffs go to 4 teams it will very seriously be a situation in which only a couple of games matter and the rest will be chaffe. We have that right now to an extent, but I think a 4 team playoff is actually the worst of all possible scenarios. Right now we have a championship game and a couple of major bowls that matter. I think a playoff further relegates those bowls even more to "Exhibition" status.

I am not ruing the death of the BCS, but I think the system is much better at 8 teams as we will get more games that matter in the postseason. I know that this year's Rose Bowl doesn't really matter but it is still not quite "exhibition status." Once there is a playoff those non playoff bowl games really become more of a novelty.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:27 pm

My issue with the new system is that it will be even harder to weed out the top 4 teams. Selecting the top 1 or 2 teams should be the same as we have now but identifying the rightfull 3rd and 4th teams will be very tricky in a lot of years.

Normally there are only 1 or at most 2 teams that are undefeated so the selection of the top 2 teams usually works itself out by year end. When you start taking 4 teams you are usually talking about taking a 1 loss or even in some seasons 2 loss teams which there are normally a lot of. Trying to decide which one loss team to take out of the B1G vs the Big 12 or PAC 12 is going to be a cluster. Of course all of the SEC teams that have 2 losses are going to claim they are better than a 1 loss B1G team (and based on recent results they may be right unfortunately). I think the new system will create a lot more controversy and bitching. And as stated above will further water down the traditional bowl games.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Very good article on this situation by Jeffrey Anderson in the Weekly Standard last week:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/ ... 70842.html

Anderson (as he explains in the article) is one of the four(?) computer ranking sources that the BCS uses to compile their rankings, so he obviously has skin in the status quo game, but I think he makes a fairly compelling case that the BCS got it right...by providing the game the fans wanted to see...much more often than not, and that more importantly, the basic structure of the major bowl games was preserved.

One of his major points about how we might miss the BCS after it's gone is that the bowl games may be unrecognizable in the future, in terms of the conference tie-ins, etc. Especially if they go to eight teams, as most people are predicting will happen sooner instead of later...what are the chances, as he asks, that we'll ever again see, for example, the Big Ten champ meet the PAC-12 champ in the Rose Bowl?

(Some will argue that Pandora's Box has already been opened now that we've seen TCU play in Pasadena, and it's a legitimate point.)

The other major issue is that the new system will be more opaque and less accountable in the selection of the four teams. The BCS let you see their rankings all season...no surprises in other words. Here we'll have a dozen good old boys going into a room in December and coming out with four teams...no discussion, no debate...no appeals.

Fair to say everyone will not be happy. We will have added one more layer of games, so folks who have been clamoring for a playoff will be appeased. But there are downsides too, and they haven't really been talked about much.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby Spin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:13 pm

The old bowl system will be unrecognizable, but isn't it time?

I'd love to see an 8 or even a 16 team playoff.

I'm watching the Armed Forces Bowl right now, and there are so many ads on the field (painted on and added by TV) you don't know what color the grass is. It's not going to be easy to get off the money train the current bowl system is on. That goes a LONG way toward financing the smaller programs and thise in non-qualifying conferences.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:55 pm

ESPN shows Spence not making the trip to Miami and now TOS says Roby is potentially out with an injury and that Reeves will take his spot.... not good.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:39 am

Statement from OSU Athletic Dept.spokesman:

It has been determined that Ohio State University sophomore Noah Spence has violated a Big Ten Conference rule and he has been suspended for three games, starting with the Discover Orange Bowl this Friday.

Spence's parents, who did not agree with the rule violation nor the penalty imposed, were assisted by the Ohio State Department of Athletics in exhausting the appeals process that was available to them with the Big Ten.

Spence is an Academic All-Big Ten honoree and an OSU Scholar-Athlete. He will continue course work toward his sociology degree next semester and he will be able to practice with the team this spring, but he will not be eligible to play in a game until Ohio State’s third game of the 2014 season, Sept. 13 vs. Kent State.

The Department of Athletics will have no further comment on this issue.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:37 pm

I'd be shocked if we win this game if all of these reported guy do not play.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby fairvis » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:54 pm

The word's out that Spence had an "unauthorized" dietary supplement that's on the Big Ten list for banned substances. So you can get 3 games for going to GNC and not paying attention to lists.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:27 pm

fairvis wrote:The word's out that Spence had an "unauthorized" dietary supplement that's on the Big Ten list for banned substances. So you can get 3 games for going to GNC and not paying attention to lists.

Sucks for an already brutally bad Buckeye defense, but really, I can't find it in me to put this on anyone other than Spence.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Vanilla Ice cream called and left a message for Kirk Ferentz;

"You're predictable."
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:32 pm

leadpipe wrote:Vanilla Ice cream called and left a message for Kirk Ferentz;

"You're predictable."

2014 starts out with a smile as I watch Les Miles nearly impossibly mismanage the last 30 seconds while Ferentz did all he could to turn his back on the gift.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby furls » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:56 pm

Rooting for Sparty, although I think they lose by at least 2TDs.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:00 pm

As for Spence, it is his fault. I don't know what he took, but it sounds like an OTC banned substance. Nothing illegal or shady (that is just how it sounds at this point).

I think we have some pretty good depth behind him with Marcus and Miller. Both have made a lot of plays when given the opportunity. Who knows, maybe we get a Lou Gehrig situation out of this? or at least some new confidence in the backups.

Roby's "injury" sounds like BS to me. Sounds like a guy that doesn't want to compete. There have been rumors all year about his effort level and selfishness this year. I watched him walk off the field after the BCG and he looked fine, who knows, though.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:09 pm

Which 2 games would any of you most like to see, not necessarily out of the games slated but two games that you think would be best or two teams that you just want to see play each other?

For me #1 is Buckeyes v Auburn, I think they are very similar in terms of being able to put up big numbers on the ground AND b/c their defenses are so damn suspect.

#2 FSU v Bama, mid season I thought it would be the best game to decide everything, and I still do. FSU was consistently most dominant and Bama is most consistently physical and balanced to wear down and/or not get beat down.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:14 pm

furls wrote:Rooting for Sparty, although I think they lose by at least 2TDs.

Yep on both.

Pretty throw from Hogan early.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:22 pm

Herbies comments on Stanford's RB made no sense, MSU isn't used to his style, he's a power back, um WTF?

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:10 pm

FUDU wrote:Herbies comments on Stanford's RB made no sense, MSU isn't used to his style, he's a power back, um WTF?

Big Ten isn't really known for power backs. It is really known for its speedy WRs and lightning quick, innovative passing games.

Mostly the B1G has scat backs like Carlos Hyde and about 1000 backs Wisco and Iowa.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:23 pm

That's a safety, I don't care how you slice it.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:31 pm

Cook threw one of the worst INTs I have ever seen. My God, it was like Braxton's against Buffalo.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:34 pm

furls wrote:Cook threw one of the worst INTs I have ever seen. My God, it was like Braxton's against Buffalo.

He was shaky under pressure against Buckeyes (on the rare cases they got to him). Get a guy in his face and you're in very good shape.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:35 pm

FUDU wrote:That's a safety, I don't care how you slice it.

What?

Other than getting to the two before getting pushed back into endzone I'd agree with you.

Right call. Easily.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:50 pm

Just when I thought Brandon Weeden's 20 yard "Favring" was gonna run unopposed for worst pass of the year, we've got another entry.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:33 pm

peeker643 wrote:
FUDU wrote:That's a safety, I don't care how you slice it.

What?

Other than getting to the two before getting pushed back into endzone I'd agree with you.

Right call. Easily.

He got slowed, no whistle, then broke free and got hit and instantly went back to the goal line and into the EZ all in one motion. He didn't get dragged into the EZ, I see it as fair call either way but they could have called it a legit safety with no questions.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Sparty's D is playing with a shit ton of confidence. Easily the most impressive unit I have seen all day.

I love watching an aggressive defense play with confidence. It is my favorite part of football. I wish there was a way we could get Narduzzi in Columbus to call our D's. If you are going to play that style of D, you have to be prepared to get beat deep every once in a while and Sparty has been caught a few times, but that is the price of doing business. As a result of the aggressive playcalling the player's are playing more aggressively too.... when all you do is ask your LBs and DE's to do is drop back into zones it creates a defense that is passive in everything it does.

I wonder if the Buckeyes could get Pagac to come back and coach the D now that the Vikings staff has been fired.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:32 pm

Happy for Sparty, never had anything against the program, and always like Dantonio.

Woulda shoulda coulda for us.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:39 pm

Damn. That was worth the time spent watching. The Ellsworth hit/stop on the 4th and 1 was tremendous.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:55 pm

Sparty's corners are awesome...must be nice to have 2 or 3 lock down corners you can put on an island.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:20 pm

This Fiesta Bowl is some really shitty football.

Like 4th quarter of the first NFL pre-season game shitty.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:21 pm

Pretty sure 90% of the passing yards in this game are YAC that immediately followed missed tackles.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:27 am

Good for O'Leary. 17 point dogs winning outright- I almost took UCF and the points. Almost.

Anyone know if that Seastrunk kid can catch the ball? If so, he's gonna be good.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby furls » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:16 am

yes, seastrunk can catch.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:59 pm

furls wrote:yes, seastrunk can catch.

Hell yes...Chip Kelly didn't write a check for $25,000 to land a running back with bad hands.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:42 pm

LOL!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:20 pm

peeker643 wrote:Damn. That was worth the time spent watching. The Ellsworth hit/stop on the 4th and 1 was tremendous.

+1. Great game.

Not sure I'll be able to say the same about tonight's anticipated snooze-fest. I'll watch, the same way I can't seem to avoid looking at jack-knifed 18 wheelers and car fires on the interstate.
mattvan1

Unread postby furls » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:40 pm

I think 'Bama would cover 4TDs.

If the bowl season has proved one thing it is that the Big XII BLOWS.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby dmiles » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:30 pm

There was some hitting going on the Stanford-MSU game. Bone-Crunching stuff.

I happened to enjoy the UCF game if for no other reason of living on top of campus and driving through it everyday. Plus with Bortles being an Oviedo kid and seeing those guys around town a lot, I was hoping UCF would at least not get killed. Man was I off-base. Baylor was like a sieve. How the hell that team would stop a Hyde/Miller attack I have no idea, and let's not pretend UCF's defense is top of the heap. Baylor just flat shit their pants.

Now I gotta decide....Pull the trigger on Orange Bowl seats? Fuck it, they are down pretty cheap might as well go.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby furls » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:37 pm

I would go if I was in FL. The game didn't even sell out. The Orange Bowl always has trouble selling out. I wonder if it is due to the bowl overload in FL with all the New Year's Day bowls? The timing is rough for travel too because most folks are just getting back to work from holiday off time. I have always thought that was the fatal flaw with the post Jan. 1 bowls.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:56 pm

Oklahoma looking good against Alabama. I guess Big Game Bob is looking for an opportunity to lose this game in SOUL crushing fashion vice the typical 28 point loss. Gotta give him credit for mixing it up a little.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:56 pm

Bama's D looks suspect.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:05 pm

furls wrote:Bama's D looks suspect.

Not possible. They play in the SEC. You must be watching some other thing or something.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:40 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
furls wrote:Bama's D looks suspect.

Not possible. They play in the SEC. You must be watching some other thing or something.

Reinforces why I don't bet on bowl games. Shocking. Not because 'Bama is slightly over rated ( they are ) but because OK looks so so so my better than they are ( I thought ).

The Stoops bros have plenty of time to choke it away in the second half, however.
mattvan1

Unread postby Squints » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:25 am

If you listen carefully, you can hear the fire Saban chants from Tuscalosa.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Next

Return to College Sports Arena