Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

CHUD watch

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

CHUD watch

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:34 pm

I can't even believe this clusterfuck. Banner and Lombardi are the two biggest egomaniac assholes if they do this. And they're gonna set a franchise back another three years with this junior high school bullshit.

Josh McDaniels? Josh "I get fleeced on trades" McDaniels? Fits right in with the Lombardi method. Whatever method that is.

Best part is the our new hick owner is gonna get his ass indicted this offseason. So we have that to look forward. A new owner and a new head coach? Unreal.

Watch McDaniels switch us back to the 4-3.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: CHUD watch

Unread postby NH Tribe Fan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:06 pm

On a brighter note, hope this clusterfuck will encourage more people to actually support the Indians.
NH Tribe Fan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:22 pm

NH Tribe Fan wrote:hope this clusterfuck will encourage more people to actually support the Indians.

Will never happen.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Govbarney » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:27 pm

NH Tribe Fan wrote:On a brighter note, hope this clusterfuck will encourage more people to actually support the Indians.

That wont happen.... The Browns could hire Pauly Shore as the HC and they would still out sell the Tribe.

Anyway I say screw it , if Banner is willing to fuck up his reputation and fire the couch he picked after one season that tells me something, either A) He sees the writing on the wall and knows this guy is going no where fast , or B) he has already got a successor lined up he knows will be a upgrade... this is the NFL , a HC upgrade is almost as important as a QB upgrade, look at SF, Seattle , Philly, STL, and so on....a change in the couching can elicit a turn around after one season, if its the right guy.

Besides the team is 4-12, and has just finished a franchise record of loosing 7 in a row to close out a season... lets not pretend Chud is Paul Brown getting screwed by Art Model...
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:58 pm

I don't understand the firing.

I'd understand if the guy was a complete dipshit similar to Shurmer, but it wasn't his fault this team faltered. It was clearly the fact that (yet again) they had no one at QB.

Terrible, terrible move. Unless you have some top-tier hire up your sleeve (think Saban), then you're doing this completely wrong.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:58 pm

And...he's gone. We all knew we were in trouble when Lombardi came onboard. Now we have a craptastic GM, an owner who's gonna be wearing orange for the next 3 1/2 years, and a total egomaniac President.

:fu: Fuck you Cleveland Browns. A sincere and heartfelt fuck you. :fu:

/Watch us end up blowing the McDaniels thing and winding up with Norv as HC.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:59 pm

He's already gone, per the entire internet.

When a coach gets fired after 1 year, it says a lot more about the people doing the hiring than it does about the coach.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby NH Tribe Fan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:01 pm

I'd like to see it come full circle and re-hire Butch Davis or Mangini.

Switching back to 4-3 defense in 3,2.....
NH Tribe Fan

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:12 pm

La Confora is saying Jim Schwartz could be a candidate if Detroit fires him. If they hire Schwartz I am done. Over and out. That dipshit couldn't win with more talent in Detroit and he's gonna be successful in Cleveland! Unreal. No way they are that dumb.
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby Pabo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:15 pm

What's the big deal? This is Cleveland. He was a cinch to get fired after next year anyway, so why not just fire him now?
Bottom 4th: Cleveland
- J. Kipnis grounded out to shortstop
- A. Cabrera doubled to deep left
- N. Swisher doubled to center, A. Cabrera scored
- J. Giambi doubled to deep right center, N. Swisher to third, N. Swisher out at home
- J. Giambi caught stealing, catcher to third

1 run, 3 hits, 0 errors
Pabo

Favorite Player: Jason Giambi
Least Favorite Player: Joe Haden

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:26 pm

If we hire McDaniels, I might start actively rooting AGAINST the Browns just so he can be fired after one year.

ENTERTAIN ME BITCHES!!!
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:04 pm

What decent coach who has any type of viable alternative will be willing to come here and work within an org this dysfunctional ?

No one.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Spin » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:17 pm

Incredible.

Wasn't Chud undefeated when he had a REAL fuckin NFL quarterback???

When Hoyer went down, what the FO do. Absolutely NOTHING. Ray Charles could see the failure Weeds and Campbell were. They subjected us to this BULLSHIT every week.

But it's Chud's fault.

Fuck the Browns. If it wasn't for fantasy football I'd say to hell with the NFL. This clusterfuck team gives me no motivation to buy tickets or t-shirts.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:12 pm

NH Tribe Fan wrote:On a brighter note, hope this clusterfuck will encourage more people to actually support the Indians.

Fuck the Indians. You think I'm going to purposely get interested in MORE Cleveland teams?
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:17 pm

The Cleveland Browns: Always terrible, never boring.

Well, unless Jason Campbell is playing...
Hikohadon

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:36 pm

Gone, per everyone.
mattvan1

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Yep, it's official.

The real question: Does anyone really care anymore?
I could care less at this point. This front office is just a big a joke as every other FO that's claimed to have the answer since 1999.

Way to pass the buck here. (Sarcastic clapping) :spanky:
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:53 pm

This:

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/marla ... SU.twitter

And it ain't about Chud. I said the 'process' they used when hiring him was fucked up. Did they interview Mike McCoy or any number if guys other than Chud ( a guy on no one else's interview list). No.

Relax. Take solace that a morally corrupt owner, his hated President and a guy who was so disliked that he couldn't get a job for five years are smarter than everyone else. Maybe not smart enough to get away with raping truckers and not smart enough to get a job in a front office where an edge is desperately sought no matter how big an asshole you are, but this is all part of something you and I are too dumb to understand.

Besides, our "season" kicks off now. Coaching drama and draft talk is what we have. Stupid shit like Green Bay-Chicago and KC-SD is for assholes. We now get to do what we do best: speculate on the draft and tell each other who the best coaching candidate is.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Spin » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:04 pm

FUCK THE BROWNS.

I have my Red Zone and my fantasy team. I don't need their shit anymore. I have my season tix to a team that's at least trying and costs a hell of a lot less.

Spin

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:09 pm

mattvan1 wrote:What decent coach who has any type of viable alternative will be willing to come here and work within an org this dysfunctional ?

No one.

This is the only thing that matters. Any coach worth a damn will muck horse stalls before he comes to Cleveland.

Another reboot, another 3 years. Then another reboot. The Browns are consistent, just not in the way I'd like.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:35 pm

Masters of communication in that front office:

@SI_PeterKing: A gem from D'Qwell Jackson right now, to me: "We fired Chud? You're kidding, right? Are you kidding me?"

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:51 pm

It's gonna be McDaniels, an we are gonna trade all our picks to move up 2 slots to draft a QB who is a scared porcelain bunny in the pocket.

On top of that, D'Quell, Mack, and Ward are gone.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby General » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:03 am

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby Toxicadam » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:19 am

This organization is a clown show. I wish the fans living in the Cleveland area would organize some kind of formal protest next season to show those cunts and hit them where it hurts (in the wallet).
Toxicadam

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:29 am

Barring some sort of record setting coaching salary it will not be anyone with any other viable offer. No one is coming here to work for an owner who could be indicted at any second and a team that could be in some sort if receivership as a result. And I doubt working for Gollum & Gilligan is appealing to anyone who's not desperate.

So you'll get someone who's desperate to say yes and whose therefore malleable and impressionable.

Should be fun and can't see how it doesn't work out.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:31 am

peeker643 wrote:Should be fun and can't see how it doesn't work out.

6 more years!
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby bac5665 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:51 am

Except that I don't know who else to watch, fuck this team. I have no words to describe how dumb this move is.

Continuity is everything and THEY HAD HIM TANK. Chud wasn't the one who didn't get a better QB. Chud wasn't the one who didn't get a RB. Chud looked like he had a plan, for a change. Firing him makes no sense at all.

EDIT: The team is angry about this; I wouldn't be at all surprised if the players refuse to sign here, the ones who can play elsewhere, like Joe Thomas or Gordon.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby scrambler » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:53 am

bac5665 wrote:Except that I don't know who else to watch, fuck this team. I have no words to describe how dumb this move is.

Continuity is everything and THEY HAD HIM TANK. Chud wasn't the one who didn't get a better QB. Chud wasn't the one who didn't get a RB. Chud looked like he had a plan, for a change. Firing him makes no sense at all.

By jove I think you've got it! That one sentence sums up 15 years. Just leave the last 4 words and put any other words in front of those 4 and it's all you need to know.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:07 am

Over the coming days the anger over the firing is really gonna boil over when people realize they fired him to cover their own asses. Chud wasn't the problem...the FO is.

It's a wonder how they constructed a door big enough in Berea to let their egos in.

The only and logical solution is total fan revolt. Cancel your season tickets, set fire to your Couch jersey's and hurl them at Banner's office, mass protests around the stadium, dogs and cats living together! And foremost...refuse to watch anything having to do with the team. I for one am fucking done (except I'm keeping Gordon on my fantasy team.)

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:20 am

Anyone think the other organizations will be beating down Chud's door with HC offers...? Or am the only one who didn't really see anything special from this guy this season. I did hear allot coming out of Carolina about how Chud's departure was a reason for many of this years successes, allowing Cam to relax and operate in a system he is more comfortable in , and as I recall most of the fan base and so called experts where pretty disipointed with the hire in the first place... Did a 4 win season, and 7 losses in a row change that perspective? Look I can't argue that the front office and ownership is a unmitigated mess, aside from the TRich trade, and D. Bryant, I can't pinpoint anything else they did right. but as far as the Chud thing goes the real screw up was hiring him in the first place. Tonight was just them admitting and correcting their mistake, and if Banner/Lombardi really are the fuck ups that everyone says they are , then they just put them selves on the hot seat, and haistened their own downfall by about one year.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:29 am

Govbarney wrote:Anyone think the other organizations will be beating down Chud's door with HC offers...? Or am the only one who didn't really see anything special from this guy this season. I did hear allot coming out of Carolina about how Chud's departure was a reason for many of this years successes, allowing Cam to relax and operate in a system he is more comfortable in , and as I recall most of the fan base and so called experts where pretty disipointed with the hire in the first place... Did a 4 win season, and 7 losses in a row change that perspective? Look I can't argue that the front office and ownership is a unmitigated mess, aside from the TRich trade, and D. Bryant, I can't pinpoint anything else they did right. but as far as the Chud thing goes the real screw up was hiring him in the first place. Tonight was just them admitting and correcting their mistake, and if Banner/Lombardi really are the fuck ups that everyone says they are , then they just put them selves on the hot seat, and haistened their own downfall by about one year.

Unfortunately, King Fuckup would be hiring their replacements, and that will probably be just as ugly as the Head Coaching hires.
Hikohadon

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:12 am

For the most part I gave up on the Browns many years ago and hardly follow them at all. They used to be my favorite Cleveland/Ohio team growing up but now I'm mostly indifferent about them. I don't really even watch much NFL any more-- I really prefer college football.

Anyway, good thing that Banner and Lombardi hurried up and fired Chud so that they can hurry up and hire the next guy and get the meter running on him too.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:50 am

Spin wrote:Incredible.

When Hoyer went down, what the FO do. Absolutely NOTHING. Ray Charles could see the failure Weeds and Campbell were. They subjected us to this BULLSHIT every week.

But it's Chud's fault.

Fuck the Browns. If it wasn't for fantasy football I'd say to hell with the NFL. This clusterfuck team gives me no motivation to buy tickets or t-shirts.

at what point this season did he have a real NFL QB? Please don't tell me that 9 quarters of Hoyer christened him as QB of the future?

I'm just relieved that I went through this thread and no mention (yet) of Gruden and/or Cowher hiring any real estate agents to puruse the developments in Strongsville
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:56 am

Hikohadon wrote:Unfortunately, King Fuckup would be hiring their replacements, and that will probably be just as ugly as the Head Coaching hires.

Yea that's disconcerting, and wasn't Banner supposed to be the guy Goodell hand picked for Haslem to walk him through his first few years in the NFL? Also the fact that Haslem is willing to pay a guy millions not to coach for us tells me he is not to concerned about his cash flow.

YahooFanChicago wrote:Anyway, good thing that Banner and Lombardi hurried up and fired Chud so that they can hurry up and hire the next guy and get the meter running on him too.

Banner and Lombardi pre-maturly started the meter on them self's, this is it , if this next coach doesn't work out they are done , they have to know that , which tells me they already have a successor in mind, and they don't fire Chud Sunday night without being pretty sure they can land that successor. Then again these where stood up by Chip Kelly after almost having him inked , so who knows.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:59 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:I'm just relieved that I went through this thread and no mention (yet) of Gruden and/or Cowher hiring any real estate agents to puruse the developments in Strongsville

This guy I know told me Jim Tressel bought a house in Akron....
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:41 am

On one hand I think there ain't a guy on GGE that wins getting saddles with Brandon Weeden at the start, and then has to basically finish out the rest of the season with a hump like Jason Campbell. Again, got yourself a quarterback, got yourself a team.

On the other hand, geting beat like a dog after halftime kinda reflects on the coach.

I think, as Hoodoo brought up earlier in the season, and I echoed - perhaps a few more wins woulda trumped "tanking for a draft pick" if you're gonna develop a positive culture and not lose a lockerroom.

I don't claim to know what was going on in there. Perhaps he had to go cause of this, even though much of it may not have been his fault.

Circumstances.

And before Chud fans go apeshit about circumstances, I could easily argue circumstances got him the job in the first place.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Spin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:44 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:

at what point this season did he have a real NFL QB? Please don't tell me that 9 quarters of Hoyer christened him as QB of the future?

I told you guys in the preseason Hoyer looked better than the rest, and you guys laughed. You can't disagree he looked more poised, in control, and connected with the receivers (on his own team) better than Weeds or Campbell. Just like he did in the pre-season. Small sample size, but JHC depending on the draft I would not be afraid of seeing him start next season. Is he really that much worse than anybody else the Browns have rolled out there post-Bernie?

Fact is, he won games when Hoyer was under center. He fuckin WON GAMES. Yet it was his fault. That's like saying my tire keeps going flat on my truck, so I'll replace the ECU. Image
Last edited by Spin on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:49 am

YahooFanChicago wrote:
Anyway, good thing that Banner and Lombardi hurried up and fired Chud so that they can hurry up and hire the next guy and get the meter running on him too.

Banner and Lombardi pre-maturly started the meter on them self's, this is it , if this next coach doesn't work out they are done , they have to know that , which tells me they already have a successor in mind, and they don't fire Chud Sunday night without being pretty sure they can land that successor. Then again these where stood up by Chip Kelly after almost having him inked , so who knows.

If you were in charge of a business for the owner, and you hired a leader and then fired him 11 months later that shows you have no business hiring the next leader.
Spin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:51 am

I am skeptical that a few more hollow wins changes the culture. What changes the culture faster than anything is accumulating the talent/players to actually field a quality team. A few more wins this year does nothing except perhaps partially mask the substandardness of the talent/coaching the front office put on the field, the way that 2007 masked the substandardness of that team.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:08 am

Spin wrote:
I told you guys in the preseason Hoyer looked better than the rest, and you guys laughed. You can't disagree he looked more poised, in control, and connected with the receivers (on his own team) better than Weeds or Campbell. Just like he did in the pre-season. Small sample size, but JHC depending on the draft I would not be afraid of seeing him start next season. Is he really that much worse than anybody else the Browns have rolled out there post-Bernie?

Fact is, he won games when Hoyer was under center. He fuckin WON GAMES. Yet it was his fault. That's like saying my tire keeps going flat on my truck, so I'll replace the ECU. Image

Derek Anderson won 10 games in '07, would you like him back?
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Spin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:22 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:
Spin wrote:

Derek Anderson won 10 games in '07, would you like him back?

Are you guys trying to argue that it WAS Chud's fault that the Browns gave up all those turnovers?

Or do you want the Browns to cut Hoyer?

I don't understand the argument. Maybe I should change my point to avoid the straw man fallacy.

"Chudzinski won when he got quality quarterback play".
Spin

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:29 am

Spin wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:

Fact is, he won games when Hoyer was under center. He fuckin WON GAMES. Yet it was his fault.

All I want to know is who's call was it to start Weeds right out of Camp? Based on the fact that B&L where really high on Hoyer, my guess is that was Chud's call, and that right there should be a indictment against him.

My other big issue with Chud was his indecisiveness, how many times this year were we forced to call time out on 4th and 1, b/c the clock was running out and the O looked lost...? I can remember a multitude of times that the O would head out on to the field on 4th and 1, Chud would call time out, and then revert to a punt or vice-a-verse. Every time a big decision like that would come up Chud looked like a deer in the headlights, the team honestly looked as if it was never prepared for those short yardage situations and we would end up pissing away valuable time outs.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:40 am

Well, someone had to coach the team. Most of the smart guys got a feel for the Banner power trip durning the interview process and ran like hell. Chud was like choice number 6, then made the mistake of trying to develop Weeden and got crossways with Lombardi by not playing Hoyer out of camp. He was pretty much doomed from the start.
mattvan1

Unread postby Spin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:52 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Well, someone had to coach the team. Most of the smart guys got a feel for the Banner power trip durning the interview process and ran like hell. Chud was like choice number 6, then made the mistake of trying to develop Weeden and got crossways with Lombardi by not playing Hoyer out of camp. He was pretty much doomed from the start.

Well that puts the season into a whole different light...

If the powers that be wanted Hoyer, and Chud was set on developing Weeds, then I feel a lot better about the situation.
Spin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:36 pm

This Hoyer conversation is silly.

If someone here was the one to see that Hoyer played the best of the QB's in TC, he was the only one. Every news outlet and every review I read had Weeden (the seeming incumbent) to be head and shoulders better than the other 2 in TC. He certainly was in the Preseason Games. There was absolutely zero call to start Hoyer in Game One. None. Any claim that Hoyer should've gone from #3 QB in TC to starter in Game One is absolute hindsight-based hogwash.

That aside - Hoyer was starting as of Week 3. It's hardly like he was wasting away for half the season when he could've been on the field making a "huge" difference - assuming, of course, that Hoyer would make a huge difference, which I find speculative at best since his body of work is 2 mostly mediocre games.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:16 pm

Hikohadon wrote:This Hoyer conversation is silly.

If someone here was the one to see that Hoyer played the best of the QB's in TC, he was the only one. Every news outlet and every review I read had Weeden (the seeming incumbent) to be head and shoulders better than the other 2 in TC. He certainly was in the Preseason Games. There was absolutely zero call to start Hoyer in Game One. None. Any claim that Hoyer should've gone from #3 QB in TC to starter in Game One is absolute hindsight-based hogwash.

That aside - Hoyer was starting as of Week 3. It's hardly like he was wasting away for half the season when he could've been on the field making a "huge" difference - assuming, of course, that Hoyer would make a huge difference, which I find speculative at best since his body of work is 2 mostly mediocre games.

Yep. Hoyer played 2-3 games. I actually agree with Banner that that does not your QB make. He got rid of the ball quickly and did a nice job. But if you're banking on some type of Hoyer ascension to greatness you're just hoping.

And as the old saying goes, you can hope in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up faster.

He'll get a shot in TC. And as much as I despise Weeden, that was and should have been his job to piss away at beginning of season. It was and he did.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Spin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:51 pm

I wasn't the only one who said it, but I caught a lot of hell here for posting it here.

And nobody said he was "destined for greatness". Just that he looked better than the other two. typical straw man fallacy...
Spin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:58 pm

Spin wrote:I wasn't the only one who said it, but I caught a lot of hell here for posting it here.

And nobody said he was "destined for greatness". Just that he looked better than the other two. typical straw man fallacy...

Let's be clear here - did you say "Hoyer looked good", or did you advocate that Hoyer should start against the Dolphins in Week One of the Regular Season based on his performance against 3rd stringers in Preseason Games?

Edit - Stating "Hoyer looked better than the other two" is fairly meaningless and hardly impetus to go starting him prior to where they did, since even if he DID look better than the other two (he didn't), it was against scrubs. He would have to get starter snaps and still look better than the other two to even consider it.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Spin wrote:I wasn't the only one who said it, but I caught a lot of hell here for posting it here.

your quote, correct?

Sorry if I misinterpreted REAL NFL QB with better than the other two.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:16 pm

Hikohadon wrote:This Hoyer conversation is silly.

So is Mike Lombardi as GM. Just because it's fucking ridiculous doesn't mean it's not true. Word coming out is that the FO was not in agreement with Chud's player eval. We've all wondered how Hoyer went from inactive #3 to starting after Weeden went down, jumping right over the guy who was and had been #2.

Not beyond the realm of possibility that Lombardi simply told him who to play.
mattvan1

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL