Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

49 and Counting.

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Will the drought end in my life time?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:32 am

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes : 11

49 and Counting.

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:32 am

Today marks the 49th anniversary of the Browns shutting out the Baltimore Colts,and claiming the NFL Championship for the city of Cleveland.

Fast forward 49 years later and we may be living in one of the darkest chapters in Ctown sports history. The Browns look hopeless, The Cavs are a laughing stock, and the Tribe while competitive plays in a city that doesn't care , and a league where it is becoming more and more economically infeasible for them to compete for a crown. I know this question has been asked many times before , and will be asked a pluthera of times next December leading to the golden. But do you think you will see one in your life time?
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: 49 and Counting.

Unread postby Squints » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:13 am

Heart says yes, brain says no.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby pod2dawg » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:43 pm

Yes, but I plan on living another 80 years.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:17 pm

I base my 'no' on the fact that in the next 40 years I can see Cleveland losing 2 out of its 3 remaining pro sports teams, lessening already improbable odds.

There is one conceivable scenario in which global warming makes 2/3rds of the USA all but unlivable due to lack of water and constant natural disaster, and seeing as how Cleveland is the most resilient to the impacts of climate change, (at least according to this Blog http://blog.nature.org/2011/06/cities-climate-change-resilient-jeff-opperman-vulnerable/) and has a abundant source of fresh water, maybe we finally get a ring by default.... granted that victory might seem pretty hollow with the rest of the US looking like a Mad Max movie.... but hey Ill take it, even if its in some sort of Hunger Game, or Thunderdome.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:41 pm

Ohio is in District 6 of Hunger Games world. According to some ridiculous Wiki website, the last victor from District 6 was in the 27th Hunger Games, which would be 48 years prior to the present time of the book.

So even in that eventuality, we be fucked.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:53 pm

Just mathematically speaking...if all things were equal we have approx a 9% chance each year to win one of the championships (three teams with leagues of 30-32). Of course we know baseball is not equal and neither is basketball; so I'd put that figure at around 5%. Multiplied by the next 40 years you gotta figure we've got better than 50/50 of it happening. Of course, this IS Cleveland sport.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Govbarney » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:44 am

Hikohadon wrote:Ohio is in District 6 of Hunger Games world. According to some ridiculous Wiki website, the last victor from District 6 was in the 27th Hunger Games, which would be 48 years prior to the present time of the book.

So even in that eventuality, we be fucked.

I never reads the books , only saw the movies, to me District 12 looked like Eastern Ohio/Western PA. So I thought Cleveland might be in D 12. I also felt Cleveland could be the Capital since it's more likely to survive the apocalypse then any other US city, and it was a Capital Clevelander (now in charge) who came up with the Hunger Games idea as a big 'fuck you' to the rest of the country, for a lifetime of sports frustration.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:44 pm

Well, you can easily make the mistake looking at District 6 and 12. They're similar. But the District 12 folks routinely kick the ass of District 6 and word is the D12 leader is a douchebag who came from District 6 and doesn't lose often to D6.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:46 pm

peeker643 wrote:Well, you can easily make the mistake looking at District 6 and 12. They're similar. But the District 12 folks routinely kick the ass of District 6 and word is the D12 leader is a douchebag who came from District 6 and doesn't lose often to D6.

Yup.

There are a bunch of other ones that are different, but in all of them Ohio is in a different district than Appalachia, which is 12.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Govbarney » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:00 pm

This map comes from the #1fan site and it's got everything east of Vermillion in 12, and everything west of it in 6. It looks like every map has Salt Lake City as the Capital... So future Mormons are some sick fucks.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (220.96 KiB) Viewed 387 times
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:33 pm

All I know is that the fact that most of Florida is underwater can't be a bad thing.
Hikohadon

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL