Text Size

No Holds Barred

Some Help From Dog Owners

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Some Help From Dog Owners

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:55 pm

Hey, it's been a shitty week+ for us and our beloved dog. Recently he has lost weight, not eating like he was and has vomited after eating which looked to both of us to contain traces of blood. Plus he has been really lethargic. Both yesterday and today he crapped in the house, which he never does, and again it looked like there was blood in the feces.

I took him to the vet today and they did some preliminary tests and and X-Ray which showed a mass in the lower portion of his stomach. The vet explained that there is a strong chance it could be cancer of the stomach Adenocarcinomas (He said the chances are high because German Shepherds have a high rate of this disease), and also the symptoms start happening after the tumor has been present for awhile making early detection very hard for owners.. So I left him overnight so they could monitor him and collect stool samples and more blood tests. They plan on doing biopsy and more blood work to determine if it is A) cancer and B) if it has metastasized, if it's the latter I was informed that recovery rates are really grim.

I was just curious if any other resident dog owners have had any experience with this kind of disease.

I just want to make sure we're doing the right thing for him, I don't want to put him through Chemotherapy. He's my buddy and a great dog and watching him suffer is not something i'm willing to do.

Thanks,

Justin.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Some Help From Dog Owners

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:16 pm

First of all, I'm very sorry to hear about your dog. Our pets become additions to the family, and watching them suffer is just as difficult as watching a spouse or child suffer.

I can't say I have any experience dealing with that particular disease, but I've had to put a number of pets down over the years for various ailments. I'd advise listening to the vet. Find out what exactly your dog has, what the prognosis is, how much he'd suffer (if any), the likelihood of recovery, that sort of thing. Become informed, so you can make the best possible decision for him. And if the news is bad, make the best decision for him.

I always asked what their quality of life would be like. If it would be poor with little hope of recovery, well...I won't say the decision was easy, but it was right.

Best of luck to you guys, and I'm hoping for some good news.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:21 pm

That sucks.

And in many ways it's harder because they are completely reliant on us for their well being. I mean, I have a 14 yr old beagle that's been with me longer than my youngest daughter. He hunted with me for a decade and is the best dog you could ask for. Constantly under my feet, can't move without that dog being right there with me.

Now he's deaf and he's older and he can't get around like he did. And selfishly I can't put him down because 1) I don't want to and 2) because he still isn't to that point. But I WILL NOT let that dog suffer a bit before I do put him down. Damn thing still eats like a horse and runs around the house. But the second he can't I will take him in and do what's right by him.

And only you can make the call as to what that is. If chemo will help (with decent odds) then you make the financial and life quality decision that's best for him.

If it's long odds than I would not put that trusted friend and pet through it anymore than I'd ask my family to do it for me. Issue being I can tell them how miserable I am and what I want. He can't and you have to.

I'll never not have a dog or two in any house I live in. But the absolute most gut wrenching days of my life (in many ways) were taking mine in and looking at them as they were put down. It's soul crushing and awful and yet it's the responsible and most compassionate thing you can sometimes do for them.

I'm sorry dude. I'll make fun of a lot of things on the boards and in general. This ain't one of them.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Sorry for you- grieving certainly has already begun. When that time comes, another of the reasons it is so hard- and like a family member- is it represents a chunk of your life, an era. It may represent your kid's childhood ending- or a period of your life being over.

No experience with this type of disease. Times like these are when I really pin the vet down (as you would with your own doc). Good to have that relationship with the vet.

One thing I'll suggest: You mentioned "us". If you are not the only one who loves the dog, make sure they are on board before you make the decision to put him down. It may be a fuzzy thing for a while, but it typically becomes clear when they are ready.

Edit: Praying for you to have inner peace with this.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:58 pm

I can't add anything of value to the thread except to extend my sympathies. I hope you find out some good news and he's back to his normal self in a hurry. Hopefully it's just a minor digestive issue.

The bond we form with dogs is incredible. I won't hijack the thread to talk about mine, but she's 16 and I know what lies ahead. I cry any time I even begin to think about it.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:19 pm

CDT , I am very sorry to hear of the news about your German Shepherd, my favorite species also. I sadly also have experience with adenocarcinoma , of which they are susceptible. You are correct in not wanting to put him through chemo. I hope the tests come back negative. If it has metastasized your options are limited. Be comforted in knowing you gave him a very happy life and loving home. We dog owners have a hard time appreciating / accepting when we do commit to a pet, their life spans are accelerated 7x.

Good luck. Hope it all works out. If not, you will do the right thing.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:38 pm

Thanks for all the support and well wishes. Despite all the horrible jokes and arguments we have with each other, I love it here. Truly.

I've been Googling the disease like crazy despite it making less me optimistic. I was hoping for something like an ulcer, but the X-Ray ruled that out. Right now our best hope is the biopsy comes back that it's not cancerous and can be removed via surgery. If it's metastasized to his liver or other organs the prognosis is he might make it 1- 6 months. If that's the case we're going to make the humane choice. A few more months with him is not worth the pain he would be experiencing.

He truly is a great dog despite being dumb (rare for German Shepherds). When the baby came my wife and I were worried about how he would react, but he displayed that protective nature the breed is known for. Sleeping at the foot for the crib instead of his dog pillow and genuinely seemed to like the little guy. Never showing any sign of aggression even when the kid would go right up to him and take his dog toys, he just let him have it.

The odds are bad so i'm trying to focus on all the great memories we've had with him, subconsciously preparing myself for the worst. But he's had and happy life with us and we'll always remember and love him.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:56 pm

There's an innocence to these pets that make times like this so tough.

Hope it works out for the best.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:32 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Thanks for all the support and well wishes. Despite all the horrible jokes and arguments we have with each other, I love it here. Truly.

I've been Googling the disease like crazy despite it making less me optimistic. I was hoping for something like an ulcer, but the X-Ray ruled that out. Right now our best hope is the biopsy comes back that it's not cancerous and can be removed via surgery. If it's metastasized to his liver or other organs the prognosis is he might make it 1- 6 months. If that's the case we're going to make the humane choice. A few more months with him is not worth the pain he would be experiencing.

He truly is a great dog despite being dumb (rare for German Shepherds). When the baby came my wife and I were worried about how he would react, but he displayed that protective nature the breed is known for. Sleeping at the foot for the crib instead of his dog pillow and genuinely seemed to like the little guy. Never showing any sign of aggression even when the kid would go right up to him and take his dog toys, he just let him have it.

The odds are bad so i'm trying to focus on all the great memories we've had with him, subconsciously preparing myself for the worst. But he's had and happy life with us and we'll always remember and love him.

That really sucks. You could be describing my dog; a German shepherd mixed with who the hell knows what else. She did all the same stuff with our kids that you describe. And she's dumb as a box of rocks.

One thing that someone told me is to write down your dog's 3 favorite things, whether it's chasing a toy, eating ice cream...whatever. When he's not interested in doing those things anymore you know it's time.

I'll be hoping you get good news and a little more time.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:06 am

Sorry to hear about your Shepard. We lost a Black Lab a couple of years back to Osteosarcoma. I never realized that cancer is not all that uncommon in dogs, especially larger breeds.

Do you trust your vet? If so, the only advice I can give is more interaction/discussion with him/her and less internet. The internet is depressing as hell. A second opinion is of course a good idea.

We opted for non-invasive "treatment" which was simply some type of steroid to reduce the swelling around her neck and throat. We monitored her very closely and looked for any increased signs of distress. We also gave ourselves a pre-defined (we did not write them down but we should have) list of things that would, in effect, make it more humane to put her down. She seemed attentive and affectionate up until the end, when she had great diffculty moving around. We were probably a week or so from euthanasia when she died.

It's never easy. Good luck.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:14 am

leadpipe wrote:There's an innocence to these pets that make times like this so tough.

Hope it works out for the best.

I never know what to say to these kinds of posts, so I generally just don't say anything, but I may steal this concise message in the future.

What he said + sad ugh.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:27 am

My sympathies, I know what its like to lose a German Shepherds, I had one growing up, he was a ex East-Cleveland Police dog, that dog had more common sense then most people I know. Unfortunately his time on the force took its toll on him , it was rough to see him prematurely grow old and finally succumb, but he did it with dignity, and was insanely loyal to me and my family even to the end.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:38 pm

It really sucks when the symptoms hit so quickly. Our beagle had an auto-immune disease and within a week went from normal to having to be put down. Listen to the others here and yer gut, if the dog is gonna suffer and the odds are long do what is best for the dog.

Ugh.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:00 pm

skatingtripods wrote: I won't hijack the thread to talk about mine, but...

Get another now. Seriously, why not.
googleeph2

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:32 pm

Hoping for the best for you, CDT. We've been there, done that, multiple times, and it never gets any easier. Just had to put down a 12-year old Old English Sheepdog a couple years ago who had been our constant companion for that dozen years. The only sure-fire cure is a new puppy. Our new one is a year old this week. Good luck.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Ha. I usually get a pup when the older dog hits about 7. The pup helps keep the older one younger and active through annoyance alone.

And when this 14-yr old has to be put down I'll get another one within a week or two to keep the one who's now 7 as young and active as possible.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:23 pm

Echoing others, my deepest sympathy and well wishes on the prognosis. Feel your anguish having just went thru something similar in August with my English Bulldog.

On an optimistic hope, my dog had a clogged artery and 80% blockage into his heart causing his heart rate to leap to upwards of 250 beats per minute. He literally had a prolonged heart attack for 2 days. I got him into the Akron Veterinary Hospital from over in PA (2+ hour drive), he stayed there 3 1/2 days but miraculously pulled thru. Doc said she had not seen a dog fight as much as he did. Ate nothing, drank nothing, IV kept him alive. Took about 2 weeks and he has to have cocktails of medication the rest of his life before and during every meal but sometimes there are wills and ways.

Hang in as best you can, cause it's the same as your guy is gonna do. Leading up I wasn't sure if I knew when the time was right but just put your trust in the professionals and their opinions. They'll usually be pretty forthcoming about what they feel is best. They're in that profession for a reason, they care.

Best of luck.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:45 pm

I have no advice since I do not own a dog, but I'm sorry to hear this news. There are so many reasons why owning a pet is great and why seeing your pet suffer is hard, the innocence, the fact they are so dependent on us and sometimes simply the fact they are not people (b/c we all get frustrated with people in general). Stay strong and don't second guess or be ashamed of what ever decision you make, b/c ultimately your doing it all for sincere reasons.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:16 pm

Well.... the news was bad. Cancer of the stomach which spread to his intestines and liver. The vet said that nothing could be done and said that he wouldn't make it another 3 months and there would be pain. So we brought him home the past two days just so we could have some last times together. Today we took him back and had him put to sleep, he went quick and peacefully, 30 seconds and he was gone.

We decided on cremation so we could spread his ashes in our backyard, his favorite place to be.

I cannot and will not rush out to buy another dog right now. I find the idea (for my situation) to be abhorrent. We will eventually get another dog, but we need to find one that fits us, one that can be trusted around the kid and the cat.

Thanks to you all for the kind words, it means a lot,

Justin.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby pod2dawg » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:39 pm

21 Gun Salute.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:53 pm

Awful news, Justin. My condolences.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:51 pm

Just like with the loss of a person, time tends to heal. I guess the one saving grace is that your child is so young that he/she (sorry I forget if you had a boy or a girl) won't remember and doesn't have to deal with the loss. Losing a pet is really tough on young kids.

...and I feel your pain with putting the dog down, putting my dog down (years ago) was hard. I thought I'd be all cool and macho about it while in the room, but damn if that dog didn't look at me like she knew what I was doing and in turn I felt like a POS. She wasn't sick or anything just really old and struggling, I literally walked into the kitchen one morning, saw how she was a bit off, and picked her up and drove to the vet to put her to rest, a total of 3 second decision and a 4 minute ride. Done and done, and if I didn't right then and there I knew I never would.

Keep your spirits up the best you can.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:56 pm

CDT, just like with loved ones who are people, may you and your wife grow even closer through sharing the experience of the loss.
googleeph2

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:47 am

I've been just trying to focus on the great times we had with him and find some distraction. Tonight was nice with the Buckeye comeback and the Jackets winning. We're going to start looking for a new dog sometime after the new year. Not really set on any particular breed. I think we're going to go the shelter route this time, find a nice dog that really needs a good home.

I still haven't moved my guy's old dog bed. Can't bring myself to throw it out despite it making me miss him every time I look at it. As much as we want them to live forever, it just doesn't work out that way. All pet owners have to make the decision at some point, but we do so because watching them suffer is not an option. I'm content in knowing we made the right choice for him and we'll always have the memories.

Again, thanks for all the support and well wishes. It really does mean a lot.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:57 pm

Very sorry to hear about your loss. I know losing a pet is like losing a family member.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby pup » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:59 am

Condolences CDT.

The time will be right for another dog in the future. You will know when that time is.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby noles1 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:52 am

Condolences on your loss. Feel for you and the family.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:09 pm

Got a new dog a few days dog. He's a 2 year old black lab rescue. Named him Wilson. So far he's been great. No problems with the kid or the cat. Very friendly and totally house broken.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:17 pm

Far out. In a few months when the kid's a little stronger with some balance you can fit Wilson with a saddle.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:10 am

motherscratcher wrote:Far out. In a few months when the kid's a little stronger with some balance you can fit Wilson with a saddle.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Return to No Holds Barred