Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Superbowl in NY

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Superbowl in NY

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:18 pm

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow or bah humbug?

Personally I like the thought of this outdoor Superbowl in NY IF it does in fact snow. I know the counter argument is it will reduce the best players in the game to lesser individuals, I say pfft. Most of the best players in the game won't BE in the Superbowl. Part of what makes football great is you suit up and go play the game and the conditions are secondary, despite the potential impact conditions can have on said game.

The other argument is many players aren't motivated to play in such a Superbowl, um, OK, whatever, if that's the case then they really aren't playas, and be real, some if not many take plays off in ideal conditions as it is.

25-30mph winds and a constant snowfall would be ideal, IMHO.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Superbowl in NY

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:17 pm

I look forward to the constant whining from the media.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Spin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:41 pm

Half of the games should be in cold weather. Why shouldn't cold weather teams be able to use that advantage?

But, it's the NFL. It's not about football or being fair. It's all about the show. It's about the passing. it's about the stage.

It would be funny if it snowed like hell and the game turned out to be the biggest "show" they ever had, like the Philly game a couple weeks ago.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:31 pm

Spin wrote:Half of the games should be in cold weather. Why shouldn't cold weather teams be able to use that advantage?

But, it's the NFL. It's not about football or being fair. It's all about the show. It's about the passing. it's about the stage.

It would be funny if it snowed like hell and the game turned out to be the biggest "show" they ever had, like the Philly game a couple weeks ago.

Actually it's about none of that.

It's about money.

That's why the game is in NY.

Period.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:16 am

Rumors have it Lead that it's in NY to throw the a proverbial bone for that stadium that cost more than Jerry World, seeing as Jerry World got a SB, if it was JUST about money NY would host every other SB.

FUDU

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:10 am

It's stupid- and only about the money.

The game should not be affected by weather, it should be decided only by what happens on the field.

And ferfucksake get rid of the halftime abortion.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:00 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:It's stupid- and only about the money.

The game should not be affected by weather, it should be decided only by what happens on the field.

So why should every other game be potentially affected by weather except the championship game?
Hikohadon

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:16 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:It's stupid- and only about the money.

How many SBs have been in NY prior to this?

FUDU

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:27 pm

I don't care about any other games. If the AFC Championship game goes through Buffalo, fine.

No reason to have the Super Bowl anywhere but in reasonable weather, indoors or out.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:14 pm

FUDU wrote:Rumors have it Lead that it's in NY to throw the a proverbial bone for that stadium that cost more than Jerry World, seeing as Jerry World got a SB, if it was JUST about money NY would host every other SB.

This post pretty much proves my point. I mean who profits if there were 30 stadiums like the one in Dallas?

If you wanna think there's something else besides financial gain, after seeing how that league has been run over the past several years, well, I guess that's your right.

The reason it hasn't been in NY every year? I'm just assuming a couple things 1. At one point, years ago, they had the interests of the players and fans ahead of the bottom line and 2. There are also some warm weather places that are profitable as well. I would also add the simple reason that it's fucking stupid.

We've heard inntonations the last several years about a NY Super Bowl. Panned at first, but over a few years it's the numbers that won. Clearly. Cause there ain't much else you could list that makes a lick of sense.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:12 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:I don't care about any other games. If the AFC Championship game goes through Buffalo, fine.

No reason to have the Super Bowl anywhere but in reasonable weather, indoors or out.

How about the fact the cold weather cities don't get a discount on their franchises or their stadiums and should have an equal shot at the big-dollar events?
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:17 am

Hikohadon wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:I don't care about any other games. If the AFC Championship game goes through Buffalo, fine.

How about the fact the cold weather cities don't get a discount on their franchises or their stadiums and should have an equal shot at the big-dollar events?

Ha! Wake me up when it's here in CLE. Or in Buffalo.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:52 pm

All I'm saying Lead is if it was JUST about the most MONEY as possible then it would be in NY every year, from here on out. I'm not disagreeing that money has a lot to do with. This week it's been mentioned a few times that the investment those owners made significantly dictated the course of action this year, like Jerry World did. Think of it as lobbyist in D.C.

IMO a snow filled field in the SB is akin to the PGA's U.S. Open.

FUDU

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:08 pm

peeker643 wrote:Ha! Wake me up when it's here in CLE. Or in Buffalo.

I have good news & bad news, Peeker.

The good news is, I'm going to be announced as the new commissioner/king of the NFL in a press conference in early February. Future Super Bowls will be played at the home stadium for the team with the superior record. You future NFL commissioner/king is pretty sure that he won't miss anything that can't be planned in 3 weeks, once the possible number of locations is narrowed to 3.

The bad news is, Cleveland probably had a better chance at hosting a Super Bowl under the old system.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Spin » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:42 pm

If the NFL wants a sterile pristine environment (Image) then mandate everyone has a domr and artificial turf. We'll have arena football on a regular field.

Fuck that, football should be about the elements too. I know why they don't play the Super Bowl in the elements (after many teams play a majority of their games IN the elements). I'm just saying IMO that aint right.

Like the NBA, the NFL is distancing itself (whoreing itself) further and further away from the sport.
Spin

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:23 pm

HoodooMan wrote:

The good news is, I'm going to be announced as the new commissioner/king of the NFL in a press conference in early February. Future Super Bowls will be played at the home stadium for the team with the superior record. You future NFL commissioner/king is pretty sure that he won't miss anything that can't be planned in 3 weeks, once the possible number of locations is narrowed to 3.

The bad news is, Cleveland probably had a better chance at hosting a Super Bowl under the old system.

Pretty much the same chance, IMO ;-)

I'm fine with the better team hosting the game. I don't care one way or other. But I'll have a hard time believing it's only hosted by cold weather team because the owners all spend tons until they reward CLE, BUF, CIN and KC/DEN with a game as opposed to NYC.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby bac5665 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:00 pm

So is the fact that football was designed to be played in mud and rain and snow not a reason then?

If you cannot win a game in a blizzard, you cannot be world champion.

If you cannot win a game covered in mud, you cannot be world champion.

If you cannot win a game in -10 degree weather, you cannot be world champion.

If you cannot win a game during a torrential downpour, you cannot be world champion.

Football is meant to be played outdoors, in weather. It was invented that way, and I see no reason to change it. Fuck SEC teams that never go north of the Mason-Dixon line and fuck NFL teams that want to play in a wimpy, air-conditioned dome. And fuck NFL "fans" who won't stand out in -15 degree weather to cheer their team on, or at least anyone who wants to take that epic experience away from the rest of us.

Baseball is for nice weather. Football is for shitty sleet and frostbite. Why the hell else do we play in WINTER?
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:36 pm

peeker643 wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:

Pretty much the same chance, IMO ;-)

I'm fine with the better team hosting the game. I don't care one way or other. But I'll have a hard time believing it's only hosted by cold weather team because the owners all spend tons until they reward CLE, BUF, CIN and KC/DEN with a game as opposed to NYC.

If they were smart they'd simply steal a great idea from another one of the major sports and have the conference that wins the previous years Pro Bowl host the Super Bowl.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby bac5665 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:39 am

What's the pro bowl?
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby scrambler » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am

I dispute the notion that football was meant to be played outdoors. I hate stuff like that which people just pull out and say. It was probably first said by an old man in a "get the damn kids off my lawn" moment. I'm guessing when the game was invented and developed, the indoor venues were limited. I'm sure in 1701 the best means to get from Akron to Cleveland was via horse. This does not equate to, travel from Akron to cleveland was meant to be done by horse.

it's fine if that's what you think, but I simply dispute that statement. I think it's junk and a made up thing. I think the correct statement is football can be played outdoors and football can be played indoors. Football can be played in bad weather and football can be played in good weather.

Football is "meant" to be played. that is the correct statement. That's just my opinion of course! The chances of a noreaster rolling up the coast in that 4 hour time period are slim of course, but of course it could happen. I don't care one way or another. Play the game.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby scott » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:02 pm

peeker643 wrote:I don't care one way or other. But I'll have a hard time believing it's only hosted by cold weather team because the owners all spend tons until they reward CLE, BUF, CIN and KC/DEN with a game as opposed to NYC.

I got a behind the scenes tour of the stadium here in Charlotte earlier this year. The pressbox is enormous. It was explained that when they built the stadium they made the box large enough to be eligible to host superbowls. Since then the city has been told it isn't an option due to lack of hotel rooms. Jax brought in cruise ships and parked them at the harbor to fit the requirements.

I'm sure most other northern outdoor stadiums don't have the pressbox the NFL expects because why would you build one if you never expected to host a major event?

NYC got mentioned as a possible SB host right after 9/11. Special circumstances lead to this and I don't expect us to see another cold weather SB anywhere any time soon.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:50 pm

bac5665 wrote:What's the pro bowl?

A free vacation to Hawaii for football players.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:37 pm

scrambler wrote:I dispute the notion that football was meant to be played outdoors. I hate stuff like that which people just pull out and say. It was probably first said by an old man in a "get the damn kids off my lawn" moment. I'm guessing when the game was invented and developed, the indoor venues were limited. I'm sure in 1701 the best means to get from Akron to Cleveland was via horse. This does not equate to, travel from Akron to cleveland was meant to be done by horse.

it's fine if that's what you think, but I simply dispute that statement. I think it's junk and a made up thing. I think the correct statement is football can be played outdoors and football can be played indoors. Football can be played in bad weather and football can be played in good weather.

Football is "meant" to be played. that is the correct statement. That's just my opinion of course! The chances of a noreaster rolling up the coast in that 4 hour time period are slim of course, but of course it could happen. I don't care one way or another. Play the game.

The thing about football being played outdoors is that weather will not necessarily prevent the game from being played, for various reasons one being player safety. You think they'd play a professional basketball game on an outdoor court (hardwood or asphalt) while it's raining?

Sure game plans and strategy might need to be tweaked if the weather gets nasty enough, but ultimately football doesn't require ideal conditions like baseball and hoops, if the latter are to be played outdoors.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:40 pm

With every fiber of my being I hope the NFL gets the 86 Giants/Skins NFCCG weather for the SB. That or a whire hurricane noreaster.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby scrambler » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:18 pm

FUDU wrote:
scrambler wrote:
The thing about football being played outdoors is that weather will not necessarily prevent the game from being played, for various reasons one being player safety. You think they'd play a professional basketball game on an outdoor court (hardwood or asphalt) while it's raining?

Sure game plans and strategy might need to be tweaked if the weather gets nasty enough, but ultimately football doesn't require ideal conditions like baseball and hoops, if the latter are to be played outdoors.

I do not dispute this...well yes I do a bit. I agree that it does not disrupt in football although they did have an hour delay plus in Chicago this year with a severe thunderstorm pushing through....so even that is changing in football a bit. And any lightning will now delay games. They canceled a Sunday night game in Philly a couple years ago and moved it to Tuesday maybe due to a major winter storm....(that may have been more to an inability of people to get to the game than anything). And in the end, couldn't you can easily play baseball in rain if they desired. They just choose not to as muddy infield, slippery ball make the game worse....pretty much same as football. For some reason people accept ugliness in football games but not baseball games.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby Spin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:10 pm

Playing baseball in the rain puts the players at risk because of the moves they make. Completely different sport. You don't see soccer players running inside when it starts to rain. Or snow (just ask Costa Rica).

Stopping games for lightening is all about liability. And a severe thunderstorm usually has, lightening.

I'm not as interested in watching sterile football on artificial turf in climate controlled conditions. And neither are most other fans, judging from the feedback when CBS was being built. It takes too much away from the sport, and basically turns it into arena football.

Like I said it's all about the show, not the sport. It's the same as how the NBA has bastardized basketball. And how MLB bastardized baseball with steroids, smaller HR distances, the D-fuckin-H, outlawing the inside pitch.

If the NFL continues to follow the NBA's lead, the whole time you're at the game you will be blasted by 150 db of an asshole screaming at you and rap music rattling your skull. And they'll take breaks to show some quote "football".

Fuck that.
Spin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:33 pm

scrambler wrote:I dispute the notion that football was meant to be played outdoors. I hate stuff like that which people just pull out and say. It was probably first said by an old man in a "get the damn kids off my lawn" moment. I'm guessing when the game was invented and developed, the indoor venues were limited. I'm sure in 1701 the best means to get from Akron to Cleveland was via horse. This does not equate to, travel from Akron to cleveland was meant to be done by horse.

Thank you for supporting our notion that the SB ought to rotate to each of the 32 NFL cities on an equal basis. Wherever it is that year, be it a dome or the frozen tundra, that's what you get.

(Yes, I understand the logistical issues some of the northern cities - including Cleveland - would have accommodating an event that size.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:05 am

As much as i'd like to see a Super Bowl in Cleveland (I think the city deserves it football and economic wise), it'll never happen. I can only really see New York and maybe Foxboro getting it far as cold weather cities go. The weather in Ohio is pretty much crap 8 months outta the year and we can't bring in the big $$$ like the others. *Queue up the Million Dollar Man's theme music*.

Football in the snow is fun to watch IMO.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:26 am

scrambler wrote: For some reason people accept ugliness in football games but not baseball games.

A baseball increases substantially in weight when it becomes wet.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby jb » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:40 am

Don't you blaspheme in here. Else that makes you a blasphemer .
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:18 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
scrambler wrote: For some reason people accept ugliness in football games but not baseball games.

A baseball increases substantially in weight when it becomes wet.

Well there's that..... and the idea of getting into the box facing a guy who throws 95+ when the ball is slick and he doesn't have full control over where it goes.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:14 pm

With baseball it is very much about the bat and the ball in slick conditions, nobody is going to die if they get hit with a football or a basketball, a bat and a baseball, um, can seriously hurt someone. Regarding the field, in baseball you might only have the next day to get the field ready for that following day's game, football you have a week, basketball doesn't have that issue.

FUDU

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:30 pm

Baseball? Who gives a shit about baseball? Has less than zero to do with how football does or should conduct their business.
Hikohadon

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL