Text Size

College Sports Arena

Braxton's comments

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Braxton's comments

Unread postby jb » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:37 pm

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-12-12/sports/ct-spt-1213-silver-football-miller-20131213_1_braxton-miller-chicago-tribune-silver-football-carlos-hyde

Eye texted me this link. Comments of interest?

Miller hopes to light up the South Florida sky Jan. 3 when the Buckeyes take on Clemson in the Orange Bowl. He will consult the NFL's draft advisory board long before the Jan. 15 deadline.

“It's tough; I just don't know,” Miller said of the stay-or-go decision. “I really have to sit down and go through the pros and cons. I'll talk to my parents, take it slow. Hopefully ball out on January 3rd and see what the scouts are looking at.”

Miller is wary of exposing himself to the kind of injury he suffered in September, a sprained left knee. He attempted 153 rushes this season (down from 227 last year), averaging 16.5 in the Buckeyes' final four games. He said he's “getting tired” of the pounding and is well aware Ohio State will lose four senior starters on its offensive line.

He wants to develop as more of a traditional, pro-style quarterback, saying: “We recruit running backs. They're on scholarship too.”
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Braxton's comments

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:52 pm

Maybe if he learned to throw better he wouldnt have to run so damn much.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:16 pm

He's not going anywhere this year, Meyer wouldn't advise him to at this point either, and he isn't close to a first rd prospect in terms of the NFL draft. But he & Urban DO need to get him on track with the passing game. He doesn't make the read (in the read option) all that well so that is PART of his issue in the passing game (Urban cut down on the RO in many instances this season v. last season) and frankly I don't think we have WRS that are quick and get open easily in short & mid range routes, they seem to need the whole field to separate.

Which makes me ask, what style of WR does Urban usually prefer for this offense? Also, Hyde was his first true workhorse and power style back right?, so will he start bringing in more Wilson and Percy Harvin types?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:46 pm

No problem with anything he said there. And he should be monitoring what his draft stock is. His concerns are legitimate, and if he'd be drafted in the first round he should go and nobody should begrudge him that.

As far as his wanting to develop as a pro style QB and use the RBs more to cut down on injury risk, I get that too. I don't blame him for wanting that either. That is ultimately going to cut down his risk and make him more money should he return. But he should understand that Urb's first concern is winning games, not getting Braxton ready for the NFL.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby furls » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:35 pm

I like the honesty. If he is serious about going to the NFL, then I hope he just goes. I really don't want a mopey half motivated guy (we saw that in Roby this year). Next man up.

That said, I think going pro would be a disastrous decision for his long term career. He just isn't there as a passer. He made significant strides this year, but he still isn't there. He could develop as a backup on an NFL team, but I think at this point he gets drafted as a 3rd string project, and those guys don't get a ton of reps. I think his best bet is to continue to draw all the starting reps at OSU and work hard during the offseason to become more of a pocket passer. Meyer and Herman need to commit to running him less even though he is one of the 2-3 most dynamic runners in the NCAA.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:36 pm

motherscratcher wrote:No problem with anything he said there. And he should be monitoring what his draft stock is. His concerns are legitimate, and if he'd be drafted in the first round he should go and nobody should begrudge him that.

As far as his wanting to develop as a pro style QB and use the RBs more to cut down on injury risk, I get that too. I don't blame him for wanting that either. That is ultimately going to cut down his risk and make him more money should he return. But he should understand that Urb's first concern is winning games, not getting Braxton ready for the NFL.

This. 100X

He's a smart kid and it's good to view your options. Obviously as a superhonk, I want him back, his passing ability has had some really nice improvements this year. He has made some regressive mistakes, but he seems like a guy who is very coachable and willing to put in the work. His body type is just not the kind that can take a repeated pounding.

From all I've heard he's been a really good guy from the moment he stepped on campus. No trouble in class or out.

If he decides to go I'll wish the best for him and want to see him do great things on the next level. Whether that happens or not I do not know.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Return to College Sports Arena