Text Size

College Sports Arena

B1G Title Game: Win and You're In!

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: B1G Title Game: Win and You're In!

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:04 pm

furls wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:Outcoached. Outplayed.

Yep....Lucky us......Alabama here we come.

Nope.

Orange get's first pick. They take 'Bama or OSU.
Sugar get's second pick. They take 'Bama or OSU.

They don't play each other.

I stand corrected......and good.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:57 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Some inter webs dude I respect once wrote "these things have a way of working themselves out".

And this certainly did. As painful as it is now, in a big picture grossly over-rationalized way with respect to recruiting and the overall future direction of the program, it's probably better to lose this game than to get ass fucked by FSU in the NCG.

Is it not?

True dat. Was getting closer and closer to deluding myself that OSU could hang with FSU, but see now that it woulda been a horrific ass raping that I'm overjoyed I don't have to endure.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:00 pm

Yeah JW would probably have thrown for 400 easy, heck he's probably going to still.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:26 pm

Hikohadon wrote:True dat. Was getting closer and closer to deluding myself that OSU could hang with FSU, but see now that it woulda been a horrific ass raping that I'm overjoyed I don't have to endure.

This is a gutless position. Pull your skirt off your head and grow some balls.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby bac5665 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:42 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:True dat. Was getting closer and closer to deluding myself that OSU could hang with FSU, but see now that it woulda been a horrific ass raping that I'm overjoyed I don't have to endure.

^
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Auburn's D is not good either. I watched that Mizzou game. OSU's game vs. FSU was always going to be about turnovers, not taking negative plays or penalties on O, and not settling for 3. It was going to be a track meet to 60.

Great points on tempering expectations for next year. The DL should be devasting, the back 7 will be a trainwreck, but we are used to that.

No word on defensive coaching status. I wouldn't expect anything until after the Bowl. My guess is that nothing changes unless Fickell gets hired to be a HC. I don't think he gets fired, but I think he should be. The only guy I really want back on the D-staff is Vrabel.

Remember when Bollman was here and we were all pissed because the OL sucked every year and you could tell we were getting talent, but the players just underperformed every year? That is our defense. We literally have been out X&O'd on defense by Borges and Bollman in consecutive weeks. Let that settle in for a minute.... that is really bad. Now think about the beginning of last year (2012) when our DBs, who were much too talented for OSU's bad OOC sked, started getting toasted by bad teams. The back 7 has been awful since 2011. They are not getting better game to game.

MSU is creating great D's every year with fundamental play, strong scheme and mediocre talent. OSU's defense SHOULD be better.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:46 pm

If we get a new D-Staff out of this it may be a net positive. It would've been impossible to remove the staff on a 25 game winning streak even if it is the O winning the games.

Here is Fickell after the scUM game from ESPN:

But if Ohio State almost certainly came up well short of the target statistically, defensive coordinator Luke Fickell still had one final item on his checklist he measured with a simple pass or fail grade in Saturday’s wild, shootout win over rival Michigan. And since the No. 2 Buckeyes are still undefeated, that evaluation was pretty easy for him to make.

“What do you mean what went wrong?” Fickell said. “Did we win? Did we win? Did we win? I’ve been up there quite a few times in my 18-year career here and not come away with a win.

“There are a lot of things we have to correct, but every single week we have objectives, and the last objective last week was to win. We came away with a win, we made a play when we had to make a play.”

Hey Luke, "Did we win?"
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:38 am

Lots of jumbled thoughts after the MSU game..

(1) Where were the tight ends for OSU during this game? During the 1st quarter and most of the 1st half I was thinking the MSU linebackers were playing contain to try and stop Miller from breaking off long runs, the corners were playing tight man to man coverage to stop our wide outs and the safeties seemed to be playing deep to prevent big gains. I was getting frustrated by no over the middle, intermediate 10-20 yard targets to the tight ends. Then right before half the pass to Heuerman and I thought..ok, now they see it let's keep going with that. But then as far as I can remember no more passes attempted to Heuerman or Vannett. What gives with that?????

(2) I agree with all of the previous posts about the empty backfield and lack of pounding their D with Hyde. For the most part he was unstoppable in the 2nd and 3rd quarter...why stop pounding him??

(3) MSU did a terrific job of playing contain on Miller particularly late in the 3rd quarter and throughout the 4th quarter. The ends did a great job of not rushing upfield and just keeping contain on the edges. Their linebackers also did a great job of staying near the line of scrimmage, filling the gaps and wrapping up Miller. Really disciplined, well-coached defense.

(4) Bollman, Bollman, Bollman. We all talk about how he sucked, was too predictible, wasn't a good recruiter, etc.. Gotta hand it to the guy though for taking a really shitty offense and building a blanced offense and good game plan around Cook. He also made some great adjustments and moved away from the running game in favor of short passes and misdirection.

We were outcoached and outplayed by a better team who had lesser athletes.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:00 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Sorry, life and experience done stole 'em.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena