Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

The 2014 Offseason Thread

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: The 2014 Offseason Thread

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:50 pm

Little high. I wouldn't have been upset if the Indians had signed him to that and I'm not upset that they passed at that price.

Now go trade for Brett Anderson.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:34 pm

STP, which one do you regret more- losing lefty Kazmir at 2yrs, $22mil or not getting Hudson at $2mil, 23mil?
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:38 pm

googleeph2 wrote:STP, which one do you regret more- losing lefty Kazmir at 2yrs, $22mil or not getting Hudson at $2mil, 23mil?

Losing Kazmir. Higher upside, but more bust potential. I'm willing to take the higher upside. Both of those guys are in excellent pitcher's parks now. I'd expect big years out of them.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby 1Perry » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:14 pm

The Oakland Athletics fortified their rotation Monday, reaching a two-year, $22 million agreement with free-agent left-hander Scott Kazmir, sources told ESPN's Jim Bowden and Buster Olney.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10069 ... ources-say
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:54 pm

Appears the Tigers have traded Doug Fister to the Nationals. No word on a return yet.

Edit: Looks like Steve Lombardozzi, Robbie Ray, and either Drew Storen or Tyler Clippard.

Dombrowski is so good at his job. Fister's a good arm, but they're trading from a position of strength to help the back of their pen. Smyly to the rotation where he's more valuable. Ray is a very intriguing young arm.

Edit part 2: No Storen or Clippard swings the deal back in the Nats favor. Ian Krol is helpful as a LOOGY, but not a ton of upside.

Guess that's why we wait for all the facts. Deal certainly leans towards Nats, but we'll see what Ray develops into. Jason Parks of BPro says he's a back-end guy with middle of the rotation potential.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:46 pm

Nathan to Tigers.

MLBDailyDish's Chris Cotillo, who has been breaking some big stories lately, says the Indians are one of the teams interested in Ed Mujica.

It hasn't been reported anywhere, but I have to think that the Indians are talking to John Axford's reps. Non-tendered, coming off bad year, might take one-year deal to rebuild value.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:51 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Nathan to Tigers.

MLBDailyDish's Chris Cotillo, who has been breaking some big stories lately, says the Indians are one of the teams interested in Ed Mujica.

It hasn't been reported anywhere, but I have to think that the Indians are talking to John Axford's reps. Non-tendered, coming off bad year, might take one-year deal to rebuild value.

Ed Mujica?!?! THE Ed Mujica?!?!

Say, that IS a big story.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:52 pm

Brian McCann officially signed with the Yankees. AJ Pierzynski signed with the Red Sox. The two biggest asshole catchers in MLB, now playing for bitter rivals...I may actually want to watch a Boston/NY game next season now.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:58 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Now go trade for Brett Anderson.

Right on cue, reports are indicating that the Indians are indeed talking to the A's about Anderson. What do you suppose it takes? With his injury history, I wouldn't imagine a substantial haul.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:

Right on cue, reports are indicating that the Indians are indeed talking to the A's about Anderson. What do you suppose it takes? With his injury history, I wouldn't imagine a substantial haul.

I'd imagine if we were willing to pay his entire salary, a minor prospect. If we don't want to risk $8M, something more substantial. Kasmir was a low-risk, high-reward signing due to his salary. $8M is a different beast, given our payroll constraints.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:09 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:

WTF is right. A mid-level prospect if we agree to pay the entire salary. Anderson's technically on a one-year, 9.5M deal (1.5M buyout on 12M '15 option). Last year was a freak thing with the ankle, but he was coming back from major surgery. There are a lot of concerns.

It's a medium-risk, high-reward move IMO. If he's healthy, he can be spectacular and we've got the X Factor in Callaway to help with Anderson's mechanics.

It's fair to be skeptical. One season of 115+ IP. If the prospect cost is low, I think he's worth a shot.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:19 pm

‏@JeffPassan 33s
Sources: Oakland not done wheeling and dealing. At least one trade is nearing completion, may be more to come.

Edit: Not us...

@jcrasnick 2m
#Athletics and #rangers are in the middle of discussions on a significant trade, said a source.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:52 pm

@JeffPassan 1m
Final trade between Oakland and Texas: A's get Craig Gentry and Josh Lindblom, Rangers get Michael Choice and Chris Bostick.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:48 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
Adverb Harry wrote:

WTF is right. A mid-level prospect if we agree to pay the entire salary. Anderson's technically on a one-year, 9.5M deal (1.5M buyout on 12M '15 option). Last year was a freak thing with the ankle, but he was coming back from major surgery. There are a lot of concerns.

It's a medium-risk, high-reward move IMO. If he's healthy, he can be spectacular and we've got the X Factor in Callaway to help with Anderson's mechanics.

It's fair to be skeptical. One season of 115+ IP. If the prospect cost is low, I think he's worth a shot.

Looks as if Toronto and the Twins are also interested in Anderson. Cost could be going up.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:50 pm

A's get Luke Gregerson for Seth Smith. Gregerson's naaaaaasty. The A's bullpen is downright ridiculous now.

Yankees also interested in Brett Anderson. I can't see the Indians emerging from a bidding war against teams with cash that can endure an injury-plagued season from Anderson.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:09 pm

Ellsbury deal done with Yanks pending physical according to reports..... 7 years, $153m with an option for 8th year.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:23 pm

Shit. There goes another one. ;-) ;) :wink:
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:08 am

I love Ellsbury, but that's a lot of money(not that im really surprised) for an injury plagued speed guy who is 30, but when you have the ability to pay $153 million to a guy for what will probably only be 3 or 4 quality seasons, I guess you can do that. :hide:
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:32 am

So, what exactly is the plan for the Tribe this off-season? Losing Smith, Kasmir and Ubaldo, most likely, isn't exactly insignificant. I'm hoping for more than the Murphy pick-up...
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:49 am

WiscTribeFan wrote:So, what exactly is the plan for the Tribe this off-season? Losing Smith, Kasmir and Ubaldo, most likely, isn't exactly insignificant. I'm hoping for more than the Murphy pick-up...

My guess is that they're going to go the reclamation project route with a guy like John Axford and try to plug him in as the closer. Maybe add middle relief like Jesse Crain or Brandon Lyon. Maybe take a chance on Carlos Marmol? For starters, they'll bring in Jair Jurrjens/James McDonald type guys to add some depth to compete for a rotation spot. May inquire about Paul Maholm. I think they'll trade Stubbs. Will still kick the tires on a Cabrera deal, but I think they'll soften their stance on that since they'll expect a bounceback season and it doesn't look like they'll grab more offensive upgrades.

Extensions to Kipnis and Masterson, and potentially Brantley, will probably be the headline stories.

Given what Ellsbury got, Bourn's contract looks pretty good now if he produces an average (by his standards) season. They'll figure a healthy Swisher will be better.

They could go get an innings eater like Bronson Arroyo. Considering what Nolasco got, you could probably get away with 9-10M per for Arroyo. The problem would be how many years he wants.

I'm not sure how much financial flexibility they have if they're signing guys to extensions.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:36 am

@jcrasnick: Hearing teams need to be in 3-year, $30 million range to engage on Scott Feldman.

FA starting pitcher the Indians may have been interested in.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Mujica to Boston, 2/9.5.

At that price, the Indians should have a reasonable shot at getting John Axford for 3.5-4M.

Edit: @MLBastian 30s
Indians had an offer out to Mujica that was competitive with 2-yr, $9.5 contract he reportedly has agreed to sign with Boston.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Isn't Bartolo a free agent? You could do a lot worse for a short term veteran starter.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:01 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:Isn't Bartolo a free agent? You could do a lot worse for a short term veteran starter.

He is. Depends what he wants. I wouldn't give him a two-year deal. He was hurt in August and at 40, that's a risky proposition. Also, his fly ball and line drive rates went up in the second half. As a pitch to contact guy, I'd be a little scared, especially with a mediocre defensive team behind him.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:03 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
Kingpin74 wrote:Isn't Bartolo a free agent? You could do a lot worse for a short term veteran starter.

He is. Depends what he wants. I wouldn't give him a two-year deal. He was hurt in August and at 40, that's a risky proposition. Also, his fly ball and line drive rates went up in the second half. As a pitch to contact guy, I'd be a little scared, especially with a mediocre defensive team behind him.

Agree on the 2 year deal but 1 year, 14MM is the chatter I'm hearing (which is what the A's qualifying offer would have been). I think I'd do that given the fact that we lost our 2 veterans. Obviously not cheap but these are free agent starting pitchers were talking about. It's like buying food at the airport.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:07 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

Agree on the 2 year deal but 1 year, 14MM is the chatter I'm hearing (which is what the A's qualifying offer would have been). I think I'd do that given the fact that we lost our 2 veterans. Obviously not cheap but these are free agent starting pitchers were talking about. It's like buying food at the airport.

I pass at 14M AAV. You're asking quite a bit of him in a neutral park with all that contact. LOB% above average. I just don't think I can do it. I think there are better avenues.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:25 pm

Royals acquired Norichika Aoki from the Brewers to lead off. Very underrated guy. Guessing Gordon hits #2; they'll both be on base a ton. Too bad Wil Myers isn't still on the team to drive them in.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:29 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Royals acquired Norichika Aoki from the Brewers to lead off. Very underrated guy. Guessing Gordon hits #2; they'll both be on base a ton. Too bad Wil Myers isn't still on the team to drive them in.

Yep. Good move for them. Great bullpen, strong lineup. If they get some pitching...
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:40 pm

MLBTR reporting that 14 teams called John Axford's agent after his non-tender. He would be controlled through 2016, so you know the Indians are one of them.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:12 pm

10/240 for Cano to the Mariners. AL West is a very intriguing division again this year.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Fair play to his agent getting him that deal
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:47 pm

Looks like the makings of another crazy day in MLB. First Cano, now Granderson to the Mets for 4/60, also Scott Feldman, who the Indians were probably interested in, to the Astros for 3/30.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:52 pm

Nice to see Grandy out of the AL. He can no longer smack the Indians around like a piñata
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:36 pm

M's are going to attempt to trade for David price next, according to rotoworld

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Well he called the Yankees bluff didnt he
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby NH Tribe Fan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:23 pm

Dang, was hoping the Yankee$ would get Cano. That long of a contract is bound to be an anchor in the future.

This moves makes no sense for the M's. It's not like they are one piece away (C,1B,SS,OF,SP,SP,SP). By the time they get those pieces Cano will really be declining.

But what to expect from a team that hired Eric Wedge....
NH Tribe Fan

Unread postby 1Perry » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:15 pm

NH Tribe Fan wrote:Dang, was hoping the Yankee$ would get Cano. That long of a contract is bound to be an anchor in the future.

This moves makes no sense for the M's. It's not like they are one piece away (C,1B,SS,OF,SP,SP,SP). By the time they get those pieces Cano will really be declining.

But what to expect from a team that hired Eric Wedge....

I don't get into the numbers like some people but this was a head scratcher for me also.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:40 pm

I get the arguement that Cano isn't going to push the Ms over top and the length of the deal might hurt the Ms in the end but, realistically speaking, paying $24m for the next 4-5 years for the best 2Bman in the game and a perennial top 5 MVP guy is hardly something that you can call a waste of resources.

You could make a strong argument that Cano is bargain at that price - for the early years of that deal anyway.

The M's aren't short of money so, no doubt, they're not done yet with their moves. In a vacuum, it probably makes no sense, but let's see what else they have planned.

Some will argue though that Wedge would turn the best team in the world into an underachiever, so why bother?!

One thing it does do is make the Ms somewhat relevant again........ so, like I said, let's see what else they have planned.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:48 pm

If you take Fangraphs data as to Cano's $$ value over the past 4 years: -

2010 = $25.5m
2011 = $23.9m
2012 = $34.8m
2013 = $30.0m

That makes the next few years look a bargain.... after that, well, that's just the price of free agency is it not?
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby NH Tribe Fan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:05 am

Without a doubt getting Cano at that rate for the next 3-4 years will probably make financial sense. But can a team like Seattle really absorb the crushing weight of that contract in years 5 through 10? In that division, may make them a .500 team at best (if you go by WAR then they will still be sub .500) But then what?

I get that non-top market spending teams will have to overpay and/or overcommit in years to attract free agents. We did it with Bourn and Swisher. But going 10 years at 24million....that deal will look really bad by the end of it and may have just doomed that franchise into another 10 years of mediocrity unless they really spend a lot to fill holes in the next year or two.
NH Tribe Fan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:09 am

We didn't overpay nor overcommit to Bourn or Swisher.

As for Cano, Gabe Kapler brought up a great point today on Twitter about how Robbie Alomar, Ryne Sandberg, and Joe Morgan started to really decline at age 34. We'll see what Cano's aging curve looks like. He has to be worth 35-40 WAR to make this deal at or above market value. That should be doable, but his production will be front-loaded.

Cano, Felix, and Iwakuma are three good building blocks for Seattle. If their young talent catches up, especially guys like Taijuan Walker (if he's not traded for David Price) and James Paxton, the Mariners could make waves.

I'm surprised that the Mariners are the team to go that high on Cano, but they needed something to inject some life into that fan base and that team.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:28 pm

Yankees let Cano go and now they're going to get the next top 5 free agents. First down: Carlos Beltran. 3 years, $45 million.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:00 pm

Mujica no longer an option to close. He has gone to the BoSox for 2 years and $9.5m

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:02 pm

Pretty fascinating article about the Mariners making its rounds on the Internet today. Not a fun place to work, by the accounts reported. Never thought I'd be taking Eric Wedge's side, that's for sure.

http://seattletimes.com/html/mariners/2022420240_mariners08xml.html
Adverb Harry

Unread postby 1Perry » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Not Indians related but interesting news all the same.

Roy Halladay retiring, sources say

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10108 ... a=module-b
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:38 pm

GET EXCITED, CLEVELAND!

@jonmorosi now
Indians have talked with reps for free agent starter Jason Hammel, source says. @FOXSports1

Edit:

GET LESS EXCITED, CLEVELAND (or more, if you look at most of Hammel's career)

@Buster_ESPN 10s
Jason Hammel's price went up, so the Indians are looking elsewhere. Cleveland could wait longer to see what develops in starting pitching.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:14 pm

Morosi says the Indians have spoken to Grant Balfour.

I think his price is going to be too high, but we'll see.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:Pretty fascinating article about the Mariners making its rounds on the Internet today. Not a fun place to work, by the accounts reported. Never thought I'd be taking Eric Wedge's side, that's for sure.

http://seattletimes.com/html/mariners/2022420240_mariners08xml.html

Great read. The Cano deal made me think that they learned nothing from signing Chone Figgins a few years ago.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Drew Pomeranz just got traded to Oakland. Brett Anderson going the other way.

Good park for Pomeranz to pitch in if he ever stays healthy.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:46 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Drew Pomeranz just got traded to Oakland. Brett Anderson going the other way.

Good park for Pomeranz to pitch in if he ever stays healthy.

He's probably weeping tears for joy right now. The high altitudes of Denver are not exactly conducive to an effective knuckle curve.
Adverb Harry

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB