Text Size

College Sports Arena

BCS Bowl Forecast

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

BCS Bowl Forecast

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:20 am

Who do you guys have? Here are the bowl tie ins:
Rose: B1G vs. PAC12
Sugar: SEC vs. at large
Fiesta: B12 vs. at large
Orange: ACC vs. at large

Bowls that lose a conference champ to the NCG get first pick. So here are the guaranteed orders assuming no upsets at the top (OSU or FSU):

NCG: OSU vs. FSU
Orange: First at large pick vs Third at large pick
Rose: Second at large pick vs. Stanford/ASU
Fiesta: Oklahoma St. vs. 5th at large pick
Sugar: Mizzou/Auburn vs. 4th at large pick.

Here is the realistic list of at larges there are 6 teams for 5 spots:
-'Bama/Auburn off a loss (no brainer for Bama)
-Baylor
-**UCF** (not tied to a bowl, even though they are an auto-berth)
-Oregon
-Clemson
-MSU

Keeping in mind the picking order, here is how I see this shaking out:

I think the Orange takes 'Bama with the first at large pick.
I think the Rose takes MSU with the second because they love the traditional matchups (100th RB too).
I think the Orange takes Oregon to make a compelling game, Baylor would be good too, but I think they go for the brand name. UCF makes a lot of sense, but that is not a sexy game.
I think the Sugar takes Clemson because they know the game will sell out and draw some interest.
That sticks the Fiesta with UCF to play OK. State.

Remember, there is more to this than money and that is why I think Baylor is left out. They are not a team that is going to pack a stadium in FL, CA, or LA. They may pack the Fiesta, but I don't think the Fiesta will get the luxury of a true selection and I don't think the Fiesta would pick an OSU(w) vs. Baylor rematch that would largely be a regional game.

I wonder if the Grand Daddy of them all would say screw the B1G and grab 'Bama if the Orange didn't take them first. I do know that the bowls will collaborate in order to make better match ups and you could see something like that to keep UCF east of the Mississippi. I can't see the Orange moving away from a really sexy Oregon vs. 'Bama game, but maybe the Sugar takes UCF to make Mizzou vs. UCF and the Fiesta OK. State vs. Clemson. Although, I don't think that is much sexier.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: BCS Bowl Forecast

Unread postby Govbarney » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:52 am

In sort of a cut off your own nose to spite your face move, in the event tOSU goes to the NCG, im kind of hoping the Pasadena Chamber of Commerce shuns its best buddy Delany and all that so called "Loyalty" goes right out the window for Bama and its fan base.

Any other year I think it happens, but this being the 100th game they probibly stick with MSU.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:46 pm

Govbarney wrote:In sort of a cut off your own nose to spite your face move, in the event tOSU goes to the NCG, im kind of hoping the Pasadena Chamber of Commerce shuns its best buddy Delany and all that so called "Loyalty" goes right out the window for Bama and its fan base.

Any other year I think it happens, but this being the 100th game they probibly stick with MSU.

If MSU wins, they couldn't shun the B1G as the B1G winner, MSU would be available for the game (not in the NCG). The scenario where the RB Committee screws Delaney is if OSU beats MSU and goes to the NCG, then the Rose Bowl could chose or not chose the B1G runner up/wisco.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:52 pm

Chances that the Rose Bowl doesn't take the loser of today's Big CCG are zero. The space shuttle will explode before that happens.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:39 pm

Well OK St. did not cooperate. That changes things a little. Now Baylor is in the Fiesta Bowl with a win over Texas.

I think the rest of the games stay the same as I am not sure anyone really wants Ok. State as an at large, so instead of Baylor being the odd man out, I think it is OSU west.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Wow, these SEC defenses are dominating.

Both of these defenses look every bit as foolish as OSU's last week.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:49 pm

furls wrote:Wow, these SEC defenses are dominating.

Both of these defenses look every bit as foolish as OSU's last week.

What, so Auburn has over 500 rushing yards. It's only because SEC SEC SEC!
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Go play Atari 2600 football you stupid fucking nut gobbler.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:19 am

Not word 1 of a one ref caused fluke early loss Sparty team deserving a shot. Funny.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:40 am

jb wrote:Not word 1 of a one ref caused fluke early loss Sparty team deserving a shot. Funny.

No shit. But the team that gave up 40whatever to a mid Big 12 team is the obvious choice because SEC!!!

Michigan State is a fucking good team, you guys.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:41 am

I'm drinking my 7th Christmas Ale right now
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:49 am

motherscratcher wrote:I'm drinking my 7th Christmas Ale right now

Oh you naughty rebel you.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:24 pm

The point about MSU is a good point, but it's no different for anybody else not in the SEC. But we all know the 180 that will occur if MSU gets beat in a bowl game, basically restating that the Big Ten sucks.

Again it's part of the problem with CFB in general, too much extreme emphasis on how good a team is or isn't based on one game, in part b/c EVERY game in CFB is so crucial for a championship run. Also the longevity of perception, if a program is down for a few years they're are deemed garbage for an unreasonably long time by opposing honks and fans.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:47 am

Normally when I look at the B1G bowl match-ups for the past 5+ years you can pretty much tell that we are going to have a tough time on New Years day and during the BCS bowls. This year with our loss I actually think we have a lot of reasonable, winable games. If the conference is less than .500 in our new years day and BCS bowls this year we really do suck and we will deserve the extended media mocking we will surely receive.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:10 am

The hard thing this year is that there were so few quality intersectional games that you just don't know who is good and honestly, the look test can be deceiving.

What will kill the B1G in their bowl games this year is the poor coaching and mediocre at best QB play.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:57 am

I'm disappointed MSU is playing Stanford. I think their defense is legit, and I'd like to have seen them play one of these high powered offenses like Oregon or Baylor or one of the SEC teams.

I know Auburn has more quality wins and therefore 'deserves' the NCG, but I think MSU would beat them. I don't see a whole lot of difference between the Buckeyes and that Auburn team. Both have big offenses largely powered by QB and RB running the ball. Both have defenses anybody can score on. MSU could just as easily man up on the outside and stack the box like they did to OSU. Not saying MSU is the best team in the country, just that Auburn, like OSU, is a good match-up for them.

That said, I think Auburn has a better chance of beating FSU. Winston and FSUs big receivers would cause problems with the No Fly Zone, and MSU could never keep up on offense. Auburn may give up a million points, but has a better shot at keeping pace by scoring their own.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to College Sports Arena