Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Holiday Booze

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Holiday Booze

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:15 pm

I've been drinking bourbon, but I'm far from a connoisseur. I've tried a Makers, Wild a Turkey Rare Breed, Woodford Reserve. What others should I give a shot to?

Also, my brother really likes tequila. Last year I got him a bottle of Don Julio '42. Any suggestions for something this year?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Holiday Booze

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:25 am

Wellers and Buffalo Trace are my favorite of the reasonably priced bourbons.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:45 am

motherscratcher wrote:I've been drinking bourbon, but I'm far from a connoisseur. I've tried a Makers, Wild a Turkey Rare Breed, Woodford Reserve. What others should I give a shot to?

Also, my brother really likes tequila. Last year I got him a bottle of Don Julio '42. Any suggestions for something this year?

http://foodspin.deadspin.com/chart-a-family-tree-of-american-whiskeys-and-bourbon-1465225276

http://www.gq.com/life/food/201311/bourbon-whiskey-family-tree?mbid=social_twitter_gqmagazine
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Buffalo Trace is good at about 30.00 a bottle, better than Jim Beam or the other common swill.
Makers is a good, but unoriginal choice.
Jefferson's Reserve is excellent.
Woodford Reserve is excellent also.
Elijah Craig is another winner.

I started drinking Bourbon more recently when I discovered that I could get some pretty damn good Bourbon for 30-40 a bottle which is about 1/2 to 1/3 what I pay per bottle of Scotch. I still prefer great Scotch (Lagavulin 16/Ardbeg Corryvreckan) to great Bourbon (Jefferson Reserve Select or Presidential), but I prefer good Bourbon (Buffalo Trace/Elijah Craig) to good Scotch (JW Black/Glenlivet 15).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:24 pm

These are the Scotch's I have open right now. I have a couple more in the cabinet, but I try not to have too many bottles open at once.

Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry