Text Size

College Sports Arena

B1G Title Game: Win and You're In!

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

B1G Title Game: Win and You're In!

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:29 am

So this is probably the best team OSU has played this year. Wisco may be better, but OSU didn't really catch Wisco at their highpoint. Much is being made of the OSU's rushing attack vs. MSU's rush defense, #3 in the country vs. #1 in the country.

MSU's rush D is pretty damn good, but how good? Here are some games that I thought were pertinent:

Opponent Rushing Rank Yards
Minnesota 34 124
NW 63 80
Nebraska 19 182
IU 32 92

The most similar team to OSU that MSU faced statistically and stylistically was Nebraska. Nebraska is #19 in the country in rushing YPG with 200 YPG. They run a lot of the same looks when Taylor Martinez is on the field. When he is not, they still are primarily a spread to run team like OSU. When MSU played Nebraska they did NOT have Martinez and as a result only got 9 yards from the QB position. Even in this case, an inferior rushing offense without a primary run treat still nearly reached its average weekly output.

OSU averages 321.3 YPG on the ground... far above and beyond anything MSU has seen this year. The schemes are sound and stopping the ground game is going to be a tall order for MSU. That said, they will play 8-9 in the box with WRs in press against MSU's very good corners. I think OSU will have some success running the ball from these kind of looks, but I think that success is primarily going to come from Braxton Miller. Miller is going to have to be big in the passing game. MSU's Cover 4 defense is going to be effective against the inside running game because the safeties are so close to the LOS, that same defense is going to be much more vulnerable to the inside passing game off of play action. I expect to see passes down the middle of the field on Play Action, both safeties will be coming up hard in run support off of run action, particularly if OSU has success running the ball. That is going to make big holes for Heuerman in play action and Smith on Post Routes. OSU could do some things like verticals off of play action too, but they are going to have to get the safeties moving forward.

MSU thinks their CBs can win the match up vs. OSU's outside WRs and I agree, they can and will most of the time. Even with MSU playing Spencer and Smith aggressively, I don't think either will really be able to exploit that. Spencer has never been great at getting separation against good CBs down the field and DS has really only been able to exploit zones and man coverage deep. I think Dennard will largely nullify Smith. Where I think Smith and Spencer can make some serious hay in this game is blocking. Both are excellent blockers and should do well opening things up outside. Also keep in mind that CBs in man coverage are very poor run defenders. MSU is going to struggle to use either CB as a force player to defend the outside run as they will have downfield coverage responsibilities when lined up in press and they will struggle to get in to be effective forcing plays back inside (like Roby does).

In the strength vs. strength match up I think these are the keys:
-OSU's interior OL vs. Sparty's DTs and MLB. I think the Bucks will win this match up forcing inside running lanes open. Getting Hyde to the Safeties.
-This forces the safeties to be even more aggressive than I expect they will already be! This opens up playaction. Heuerman is the key here.
-OSU's WRs vs. MSU's CB's in the running game.
-Miller's accuracy. MSU's D is good enough where they need to have some success throwing the ball. It doesn't have to be way downfield, but they have to force Sparty to play sideline to sideline and more than 10 yards from the LOS.

I would watch for the passing game to look to exploit aggressive safeties off of PA, and I expect to see that nice little flair screen to the WRs off of the inside zone read play. That is a great counter play to a defense that is going to be keying hard on stopping Hyde and Miller. I think MSU knows to watch for this play, but some early success on the ZR may force the outside players (SAM LB) or (DB) to cheat in, opening up that play.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: B1G Title Game: Win and You're In!

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:40 am

Something I did not address there is that OSU OL is going to have to be effective in pass pro to make all that PA happen. One of the subtle aspects of the PA game is that your OL are not getting their standard pass blocking alignments and depth and are blocking for passing plays with run technique and motion (complete with pulling guards). The plays take a little longer, so the OL will have to do a great job on MSU's DL, particularly the DEs.

I think O will have a lot of success if:
-They can reduce/eliminate negative plays. The only thing that has really slowed OSU down is penalties and 2nd and 17, due to TFLs/sacks. If they can stay on schedule with the sticks, I think they can definitely move the ball.
-Miller cannot turn the ball over like he has in other big games. Sometimes he just holds it too long in the pocket, the strip sack against IU is a prime example.... he just seems too patient at times.
-Miller's accuracy. I expect the windows will be smaller this week, he has to hit some of them, or this game will played in a phone booth and OSU's athletes are going to be considerably less effective in that type of game.

I have read from multiple sources that the OSU team was not quite practicing at the level it should have going into the scUM week; partly due to the perception of scUM's strength, but also due to BCS motivation (they thought they had very little shot at moving on to the NCG). This is not the first I have heard about this from this team and that is a little alarming, but that said, this team supposedly logged its best week of practice in a month this week and is not looking past Sparty.

I think OSU rolls by a couple of TDs: 34-20.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:17 am

furls wrote:Something I did not address there is that OSU OL is going to have to be effective in pass pro to make all that PA happen. One of the subtle aspects of the PA game is that your OL are not getting their standard pass blocking alignments and depth and are blocking for passing plays with run technique and motion (complete with pulling guards). The plays take a little longer, so the OL will have to do a great job on MSU's DL, particularly the DEs.

I think O will have a lot of success if:
-They can reduce/eliminate negative plays. The only thing that has really slowed OSU down is penalties and 2nd and 17, due to TFLs/sacks. If they can stay on schedule with the sticks, I think they can definitely move the ball.
-Miller cannot turn the ball over like he has in other big games. Sometimes he just holds it too long in the pocket, the strip sack against IU is a prime example.... he just seems too patient at times.
-Miller's accuracy. I expect the windows will be smaller this week, he has to hit some of them, or this game will played in a phone booth and OSU's athletes are going to be considerably less effective in that type of game.

I have read from multiple sources that the OSU team was not quite practicing at the level it should have going into the scUM week; partly due to the perception of scUM's strength, but also due to BCS motivation (they thought they had very little shot at moving on to the NCG). This is not the first I have heard about this from this team and that is a little alarming, but that said, this team supposedly logged its best week of practice in a month this week and is not looking past Sparty.

I think OSU rolls by a couple of TDs: 34-20.

I agree they win by double digits. But I think the score is bigger on both sides. I think it's a 41-30 or 44-33 type game.

For whatever reason I've been pretty dialed in as far as getting nervous about games that end being tight (NW, Michigan) and I don't feel any nerves on this one. Not that it's easy (hell, maybe it's because OSU gets beat by 30 ;-), but I don't feel the sense of anxiety I did with NW/UM.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:23 am

The things that Sparty does well are the things that OSU's D does not horribly. OSU can play the run pretty well, but OSU has struggled in zone coverage.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:37 am

Did Northwestern have Mark and Coulter when they played MSU?

I expect Philly Brown to have a big day, especially if we get caught in a 3rd-7+. He's the guy who can move the sticks.

Hyde has proven time and time again that he has the ability to run right into the teeth of a defense and move the pile.

Since or WRs are good at blocking, I hope to see some screen passes. Put Philly and Dontre in the backfield.

I have full confidence in our DLine and Shazier, the secondary not so much.

No dumb penalties, no big plays.... we should be fine.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Govbarney » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:04 pm

I think the D we saw vs PSU shows up, and not the one we saw against scUM. If this game is outdoors in +15 mph winds with 20 degree weather and being played at noon, I am worried, but the past two years tOSU has thrived in good weather night games on the big stage, especially ones played infront of home crowds, which from what I am hearing will almost be the case tonight in Indy.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:27 pm

People on twitter are saying OSU fans have bought 65% of the tickets. Not sure if that's true, but given the fact that we have one of the best travelling fan base in CFB, it wouldn't surprise me. Shit, there were more Buckeye fans at the Cal game than Cal fans.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:09 pm

I see the likely hood of the Buckeyes winning by two scores (10-14pts) as greater than the likely hood of MSU winning period. But I expect this to be a game for a good stretch, especially early as I think MSU is totally up for this challenge and they have two legit DBs that should make life difficult for our WRs especially down field. I say that b/c Urban is not shy of taking his shots down field early or often. I think that approach has been important all season long, today we might not hit on those like we have this season, if we don't we have to be patient and settle in with the grind it out style to some degree. How many people we can force MSU to keep in the box will be very important.

I think we can win this pulling away if we put up 33 pts, I'm going with 34-23, and would love it if that was the case with MSU scoring last. I think we're just too dangerous with Brax & Hyde at the line of scrimmage, it only take one miss for those two to get into the second level, with their explosiveness one play could shift this game to our favor.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:15 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:People on twitter are saying OSU fans have bought 65% of the tickets. Not sure if that's true, but given the fact that we have one of the best travelling fan base in CFB, it wouldn't surprise me. Shit, there were more Buckeye fans at the Cal game than Cal fans.

There were more Buckeyes fans in Arizona for the 2003 Fiesta Bowl than there were illegal aliens.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:24 pm

FUDU wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:People on twitter are saying OSU fans have bought 65% of the tickets. Not sure if that's true, but given the fact that we have one of the best travelling fan base in CFB, it wouldn't surprise me. Shit, there were more Buckeye fans at the Cal game than Cal fans.

There were more Buckeyes fans in Arizona for the 2003 Fiesta Bowl than there were illegal aliens.

HUURRRRRR DA DURRRRR!

I was there. Right in front of a row of Miami fans.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:55 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Did Northwestern have Mark and Coulter when they played MSU?

I expect Philly Brown to have a big day, especially if we get caught in a 3rd-7+. He's the guy who can move the sticks.

Hyde has proven time and time again that he has the ability to run right into the teeth of a defense and move the pile.

Since or WRs are good at blocking, I hope to see some screen passes. Put Philly and Dontre in the backfield.

I have full confidence in our DLine and Shazier, the secondary not so much.

No dumb penalties, no big plays.... we should be fine.

-Venric Mark has not played since the Wisconsin game, one game after the OSU game. Coulter played injured against Sparty, only touched the ball 4 times.

-Philly Brown is injured but will play with a stress fracture. I am not sure what we are going to get out of him.

-I agree about the DL and Shazier and no confidence in the secondary. I am just hoping we can, see the secondary play well enough. Roby and Grant should both be able to bait Cook into bad throws down the field. Cook reminds me a lot of Matt "Moxie" McGloin in his early career. Obviously a good prospect, obviously some experience needed.

If the Buckeyes can jump out 14-0 early, this one could get ugly. If they fall behind early, we are going to see a repeat of last week. The key is that in order to win the game comfortably they are going to have to crush the Sparty Defense's soul early and destroy their confidence.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:57 pm

I don't want to see a single WR screen, the Browns run better WR screens than the Buckeyes, think about that. I'm curious as to what Wilson's role will be today?

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Paul Finebaum is Gollum looking cunt.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:01 pm

3 RETARDED penalties so far. Seriously bad penalties. Shazier's and Smith's are almost of the "Benchable" variety.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:26 pm

At least MSU scored really fast to make it 17-0. Now we have more time to score before halftime!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:27 pm

Can Buckeye Nation stop crying now?

D'Antonio & Narduzzi schooling Urbans recruiters errrrrr coaches.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Fickell is getting schooled by Bollman.... ouch. One week after getting schooled by Borges.... HOLY SHIT.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:02 pm

Dumb fucking penalties cost us so much. Shazier's was one of the dumbest i've seen in a long goddamn time.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:04 pm

jb wrote:Can Buckeye Nation stop crying now?

Edited: That was uncalled for and totally over the top and I apologize sincerely.
Last edited by Cerebral_DownTime on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:15 pm

So everything possible (including retarded penalties and missed wide open WRs) went MSU's way and the Bucks are only down 17-10 going into the second half and getting the ball.

The Buckeyes can move the ball on this D. I actually like the passing game in this match up simply because if Sparty is going to run this UBER aggressive D then Miller will either be able to hit wide open WRs or run the ball at will from his pass drops. OSU can run into the teeth of this D, and I think they can move the chains, but I think the pass game is just going to be easier.

OSU's OL is picking up the blitzes and Miller has had a ton of time. The CBs, as predicted are out there in a Man a lot and are not watching Miller scramble, that makes 6-10 yard scrambles 20 yard scrambles. If Miller cuts outside behind Spencer's block he has a 70 yard TD run. Miller can kill Sparty by himself scrambling, and that is how OSU should play this game.

I just hope we don't start the 3rd quarter by trying to "return to our Hyde-based game plan." MSU is going to give us the Miller scramble, that is awesome. I'll take it.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:17 pm

I take it Marcus Hall is out for the game, or at least the first 2 quarters. One for each finger.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:30 pm

And they're able to come in and tie it up at the start of the 2nd. Let's see how the D responds.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:34 pm

I was trying to figure out why #13 from MSU was so open on that drive (Roby playing off, Spence not bumping him). Good thing Barnett noticed it too!
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:37 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I take it Marcus Hall is out for the game, or at least the first 2 quarters. One for each finger.

BUT URBAN DOESN'T DISCIPLINE PLAYERS!!!!
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:51 pm

POUND THEM AND POUND THEM UNTIL THEY BREAK.

24 UNANSWERED.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:57 am

Until we went into Bollman ball playcalling. Here is a quick hint... if OSU goes 5 wide, empty backfield it is a QB Draw, every time.

I gotta say that was some bad defensive playcalling too. So let me get this right, we got a guy starting in his first season, so we should rush 3 or 4 for the entire second half?

This was a bad loss. OSU looked just like they did against scUM. Well I guess I now get to see who OSU will play in some BCS bowl. What a piece of shit game.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:06 am

Fickell and Herman can both go. How many times are you going to run that empty backfield QB run? They figured that out in the 1st fucking quarter. The secondary is the worst I've seen since forever. There is no secondary or linebacker help in sight. Doran Grant should never play another down. Dontre Wilson is an absolute NOTHING, over hyped in fall practice.

They blew great field position on back to back possessions.

OSU did not deserve to win that game. MSU did.

Dropped passes, terrible play calling, dumb penalties, and a defense unable to get off the field.

Pathetic.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:09 am

furls wrote:Well I guess I now get to see who OSU will play in some BCS bowl. What a piece of shit game.

Orange Bowl. Clemson.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:12 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
jb wrote:Can Buckeye Nation stop crying now?

Edited: That was uncalled for and totally over the top and I apologize sincerely.

Kind of too bad I missed it. No one does nasty funnier than you CDT.

That loss blew. Hurts bad. So good time to STFU.

Just sayin the old hard lesson is this shit tends to work itself out on the field.

God I hope Urbs recruits are as advertised. Need to restock the OL and the D bad 7 is just shitty shitty shitty in every imaginable phase.

I want Bama.
jb

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:15 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Fickell and Herman can both go. How many times are you going to run that empty backfield QB run? They figured that out in the 1st fucking quarter. The secondary is the worst I've seen since forever. There is no secondary or linebacker help in sight. Doran Grant should never play another down. Dontre Wilson is an absolute NOTHING, over hyped in fall practice.

Dropped passes, terrible play calling, dumb penalties, and a defense unable to get off the field.

Pathetic.

Have up on Hyde. Just gave up on him. Sick from that 3 rd down call after the punt block. And Huerman just got beat on 4th.

Doran Grant should be concussed so he can forget the last 4 hours if he's lucky
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:16 am

If you're curious.......

I asked if you could stop being a cuntish troll and told you to go choke on a dick.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:18 am

Outcoached. Outplayed.

Yep....Lucky us......Alabama here we come.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:20 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:If you're curious.......

I asked if you could stop being a cuntish troll and told you to go choke on a dick.

Heh - that's my man
jb

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:22 am

pod2dawg wrote:Outcoached. Outplayed.

Yep....Lucky us......Alabama here we come.

Nope.

Orange get's first pick. They take 'Bama or OSU.
Sugar get's second pick. They take 'Bama or OSU.

They don't play each other.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:23 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Fickell and Herman can both go. How many times are you going to run that empty backfield QB run? They figured that out in the 1st fucking quarter. The secondary is the worst I've seen since forever. There is no secondary or linebacker help in sight. Doran Grant should never play another down. Dontre Wilson is an absolute NOTHING, over hyped in fall practice.

Pathetic.

This season was a first for me. Been watching Buckeye FB since 1973 and have never see a Buckeye D that couldn't tackle before. Dead Woody is puking in his deep 6.
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:33 am

As I told Demtri The Greek on Twitter, I get pissed for about 10 minutes then regret saying things.

Buckeye football is a part of my soul, and I live and die with the Scarlet and Grey.

Tonight was a slow and painful death.

I'll keep the faith and hope Urban can turn these vaunted recruits into players that can get it done and return the D to the Silver Bullets of old. I'm not sure how you replace that OLine and Hyde.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:48 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:As I told Demtri The Greek on Twitter, I get pissed for about 10 minutes then regret saying things.

Buckeye football is a part of my soul, and I live and die with the Scarlet and Grey.

Tonight was a slow and painful death.

I'll keep the faith and hope Urban can turn these vaunted recruits into players that can get it done and return the D to the Silver Bullets of old. I'm not sure how you replace that OLine and Hyde.

Silver Blanks'd be a good nickname.

Time to get a coaching staff in addition to a recruiting staff.

Still a little shocked the same Meyer that sent Tress to Davey Jones Locker in 06 turned in the twin fiascos to up north.

Work cut out for them.

And you can't miss Hyde if you don't fuckin use him. Even Eye was nuts about the empty backfield short yardage O.
jb

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:53 am

Some inter webs dude I respect once wrote "these things have a way of working themselves out".

And this certainly did. As painful as it is now, in a big picture grossly over-rationalized way with respect to recruiting and the overall future direction of the program, it's probably better to lose this game than to get ass fucked by FSU in the NCG.

Is it not?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:58 am

I don't think you can judge the recruits we haven't seen yet. Maybe there is some secondary talent in the pipeline that can actually cover. Or linebackers that can stay with a TE.

Hope is not lost, gotta win the bowl game and go into next season with an angry football team.

The DLine and Brax are the bright spots, the rest is a bunch of question marks.

In Urban I still trust.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:00 am

mattvan1 wrote:Some inter webs dude I respect once wrote "these things have a way of working themselves out".

And this certainly did. As painful as it is now, in a big picture grossly over-rationalized way with respect to recruiting and the overall future direction of the program, it's probably better to lose this game than to get ass fucked by FSU in the NCG.

Is it not?

Wrote that a few weeks ago & still believe it.
jb

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:03 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I don't think you can judge the recruits we haven't seen yet. Maybe there is some secondary talent in the pipeline that can actually cover. Or linebackers that can stay with a TE.

Hope is not lost, gotta win the bowl game and go into next season with an angry football team.

The DLine and Brax are the bright spots, the rest is a bunch of question marks.

In Urban I still trust.

Well next yeR is "call" year one. The job isn't complete but time to start to see what the red shirt sophs from recruit cycle one got. Next fall will be 3 classes in.

The D line is contributing. Decker is playing. IDK anyone else really doing much.
jb

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:03 am

jb wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:Some inter webs dude I respect once wrote "these things have a way of working themselves out".

Is it not?

Wrote that a few weeks ago & still believe it.

Where do think I get my POV? ;-) ;) :wink: ;-) ;) :wink:
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:04 am

All you recruiting gurus, tell me who is going replace the OLine and Hyde?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:23 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:All you recruiting gurus, tell me who is going replace the OLine and Hyde?

'Zeke Elliot will replace Hyde. He already moved up past Rod Smith and Co. to be #2 RB as a true freshman. He looks like a keeper.

-LT: Taylor Decker shifts sides and takes the Blindspot.
-LG: There are a lot of freshman coming in that could fill in here or it could be Tony Underwood.
-C: Jacoby Boren. Has looked good in some snaps.
-RG: Pat Elflein played really well today.
-RT: Evan Lisle is my guess, he will be a RS Freshman. Good looking player. Could be Darryl Baldwin too.

I have complete confidence in Ed Warriner. I think he is the best in the business. Did you see OSU's OL today against a very good D? He will coach them up. Think of Warriner as the "anti-Fickell." Fickell turns 5* LBs into 3*'s. Warriner turns 3*'s into 5*s

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:25 am

And the secondary and LBs?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:40 am

Who knows, they will probably start Camren Williams and try to find a way to get Pitt Brown a 6th year.

Honestly.... at LB I have no idea. We desperately need an MLB. We don't have one... anywhere on the roster. Hopefully Raekwon McMillan can come in and play like Katzenmoyer as a freshman. Shazier will be replaced by either Mike Mitchell or Trey Johnson. Johnson played some this year and I was not blown away. He may end up good, but I was not like, "Holy Shit I can't wait to see more of him."

Secondary:

SS: Tyvis Powell
FS: Vonn Bell
STAR: Devan Bogard? Jayme Thompson? Cam Burrows? Who knows. Lots of good looking recruits here. Maybe freshman Erick Smith out of Glenville who looked like a phenom in the State playoffs this year.

Boundary CB: Doran Grant.
Field CB: Apple, Burrows, Conley, Webb, Lattimore

There isn't much experience in the secondary, but there is talent.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:26 am

So credit to MSU, good game plan, out coached Urbs in many spots, our play calling at times was a bit WTF, but we lost straight up. A few coulda shoulda wouldas that might have changed things early (2 early PI, Philly drop on the deep ball, and bad calls for Brax second half).

So many fans with criticism post game, so I ask, if we play Bama (which most people feel is still one of the best 2 teams in the nation) and win that game, then what.

I know what.

Regardless this sport has some serious issues.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:26 am

Well Futls I read 2 words that stand out to me big time : "Hopefully" and "Freshmen".

Only the worst sort of fan overreacts to last night calling for heads rolling and crying about 24--1, but it seems some patience and tempering of expectations for next season will be in order.

Least they get practice time with a BCS bowl.

Any takes on the D coaching staff status? Still bummed at how bad the Bucks got hammered on the Xs & Os .
jb

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:31 am

FUDU wrote:So credit to MSU, good game plan, out coached Urbs in many spots, our play calling at times was a bit WTF, but we lost straight up. A few coulda shoulda wouldas that might have changed things early (2 early PI, Philly drop on the deep ball, and bad calls for Brax second half).

So many fans with criticism post game, so I ask, if we play Bama (which most people feel is still one of the best 2 teams in the nation) and win that game, then what.

I know what.

Regardless this sport has some serious issues.

If trade Spartys back 7 for the Browns. I don't mean potentially. I mean now
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:49 pm

Even today, in NE? LOL.

RE: Urban, the backlash against him, as fraud and not worthy is just plain hilarious. Totally expected, SSDD.

FUDU

Next

Return to College Sports Arena