Text Size

College Sports Arena

TTUN "the game" week

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: TTUN "the game" week

Unread postby furls » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:51 pm

The problem with FS1, ESPN etc. is that they have all adopted the Hannity and Combs good cop/bad cop routine. The trolling is ridiculous, at this point that is all they are doing. We just let these assholes keep making stupid predictions without accountability. If they were betting on games they would be broke.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Squints » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Maybe it was me with my scarlet and grey glasses on or my disdain of anything UM, but I thought they over-played the Michigan victim card a little too much in Tiebreaker. Yes, UM rightly had a beef (to put it lightly)- However, from Bo's hissy fit to the players' remarks it just seemed like UM was rolling to a NC and they sent a 8-3 team to Pasadena instead. Make the FG, Lantry!

But yes, one heck of a documentary. So was the one's about the '02 team and even the doc about the '86 PSU team.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:50 am

Yeah, there was about as much butthurt there as you might encounter at Preparation H test facility.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:49 am

jb wrote:What is this "BTN" you all speak of? That shit I have to go to see at BW's casue no cable networks offer it?

You really should jump into the 1990's with the satellite as opposed to cable ;-)
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:47 am

I got DirecTV in 2007 for the first time when I was stationed in Charleston, SC. I have never looked back. There is so much more HD and I very seldomly have outages maybe 2 per year if there is a WICKED storm.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:11 am

furls wrote:I got DirecTV in 2007 for the first time when I was stationed in Charleston, SC. I have never looked back. There is so much more HD and I very seldomly have outages maybe 2 per year if there is a WICKED storm.

Yep. People fearful of the outage if there is a cloud in the sky are living in 1999. Mine doesn't/hasn't gone out but once in 5 months and just for 3 or 4 minutes during some monster storm in the fall.

I was paying TWC probably $160/momth for all the TVs here and high speed internet.

DirectTV costs me less than $90 for all the programming I want and on 5 TV sets in house.

About $50 to keep TWC internet and I'm still ahead of the game on price, quality and programming.

And I have a $10 off per month card (for ten months) if someone here wants to switch. Let me know and I'll ship it to you.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:25 am

All they have to do is just get referred by you... I would be happy to refer anyone willing to change too. If you change i get 10.00 off per month and so do you!

I can't recommend DirecTV enough. You get like literally EVERY channel. I could have watched G'Ville lose on STO last night from New England if I wanted too.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:28 pm

Pretty sure we have more digital channels on Brighthouse Orlando than DTV though I don't watch anything except sports and Game of Thrones when it comes around. Biggest waste of money for me is cable and yet you can't get rid of it because of NCAA football. All baseball I watch on mlb.tv with Roku or Xbox 360. NCAA football is the killer you can't really coverage without it.

I will get DTV someday but I like to upgrade to the faster internet so by the time you lose all the cable bundle discounts to get Lightning or whatever its a wash. But make no mistake I will get DTV someday. Once I decide I give a shit about the Browns enough I am in. Every year in August I get twitchy. Then I don't pull the trigger and end up thinking good glad I didn't.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:09 pm

The Browns are awful to watch, even when they win the viewers lose. I cannot stomach watching them. I thought about getting Sunday Ticket, I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger because I can see the Pats, Giants and Jets pretty much every week for free. Who else would I watch?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:45 am

furls wrote:The Browns are awful to watch, even when they win the viewers lose. I cannot stomach watching them. I thought about getting Sunday Ticket, I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger because I can see the Pats, Giants and Jets pretty much every week for free. Who else would I watch?

Seahawks
Packers when Rodgers is playing
Broncos

That's about it. And you probably get those games anyway
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:26 am

furls wrote:The problem with FS1, ESPN etc. is that they have all adopted the Hannity and Combs good cop/bad cop routine. The trolling is ridiculous, at this point that is all they are doing. We just let these assholes keep making stupid predictions without accountability. If they were betting on games they would be broke.

I was hopefully FS1 would actually try to compete with ESPN by trying something different. Unfortunately you could see from day one that they were just recreating the ESPN blueprint. That was a bad business decision IMO. ESPN already has that crowd locked down and it has for a full generation. The only people that are ready to switch from ESPN are the ones like us who are tired of that model. They missed a huge opportunity to grab a piece of the market.

mattvan1 wrote:
furls wrote:The Browns are awful to watch, even when they win the viewers lose. I cannot stomach watching them. I thought about getting Sunday Ticket, I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger because I can see the Pats, Giants and Jets pretty much every week for free. Who else would I watch?

Seahawks
Packers when Rodgers is playing
Broncos

That's about it. And you probably get those games anyway

I've received Sunday Ticket for free from DirecTV the past two years (another benefit of DirecTV is that you can get a lot of freebies if you call in. I knew a person who called in to cancel and got a whole bunch of discounts. I called in to "complain" about that person getting discounts when I've been a loyal customer for so long, and they gave me all the same discounts and threw in Sunday Ticket. This year they gave it to me as a thank you for staying with the service and upgrading to more TV's when I moved.

Anyway, the redzone channel is the best thing to happen to sports since HD. Lock it on that channel and 1 pm (since the Browns are unwatchable) and you will literally see live scores of every game all the way through the afternoon games and all without a single commercial interruption. It's amazing.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:53 pm

I agree with neoleo about the redzone channel. It will transform your sunday afternoons. It's so on top of all the sction, you can't even duck into the bathroom or the kitchen to get a snack without feeling like your missing something. And it is fun tracking your fantasy matchup when you see every TD...
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:08 am

kman_holla8 wrote:I agree with neoleo about the redzone channel. It will transform your sunday afternoons. It's so on top of all the sction, you can't even duck into the bathroom or the kitchen to get a snack without feeling like your missing something. And it is fun tracking your fantasy matchup when you see every TD...

Sounds awesome. I just don't dig the NFL that much. Its hard because the older I get the more disconnected from prosports teams I feel. My big draw with OSU is that I went there, so I feel more connected. I don't know if that makes sense.

When I watch the NFL/NBA/MLB, I see millionaires playing a game. When I watch OSU I see my school. I know it is cheesy, but it is what it is.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby The Score » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:51 am

furls wrote:
kman_holla8 wrote:I agree with neoleo about the redzone channel. It will transform your sunday afternoons. It's so on top of all the sction, you can't even duck into the bathroom or the kitchen to get a snack without feeling like your missing something. And it is fun tracking your fantasy matchup when you see every TD...

Sounds awesome. I just don't dig the NFL that much. Its hard because the older I get the more disconnected from prosports teams I feel. My big draw with OSU is that I went there, so I feel more connected. I don't know if that makes sense.

When I watch the NFL/NBA/MLB, I see millionaires playing a game. When I watch OSU I see my school. I know it is cheesy, but it is what it is.

I'm not going to advocate getting DirecTV and paying for Sunday Ticket or whatever, that's a big step. I just want to weigh in on the Red Zone channel.

We have it on cable locally and it isn't a big upgrade on your cable package (must less than a Sunday Ticket subscription), but the Red Zone channel is awesome.

I'm only really responding to this statement: "I can see the Pats, Giants and Jets pretty much every week for free. Who else would I watch?"

You wouldn't watch anybody because you would be watching the NFL, and just the good parts. You don't get commercials at all and you certainly don't get commercials after a score and then immediately again after the ensuing kickoff, you don't get boring dicking around and lame commentary between plays (for the most part), you don't get a 3 play series to run out the clock at the end of the half or any of the other boring mundane things that make watching a game that you're not invested in boring as shit.

All you get is action if it's happening, or at least a jump around the NFL to different games when there isn't action going on in that exact moment. It's every big play, every touchdown, and every highlight in real time and sometimes multiple games at once.

It's like watching an early 90s episode of Sportscenter or a mid to late 90s episode of ESPNs NFL wrap up or whatever it was called. I wish they had something like it for college football.
The Score

Unread postby jb » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:50 am

The Score wrote:
furls wrote:

I'm not going to advocate getting DirecTV and paying for Sunday Ticket or whatever, that's a big step. I just want to weigh in on the Red Zone channel.

We have it on cable locally and it isn't a big upgrade on your cable package (must less than a Sunday Ticket subscription), but the Red Zone channel is awesome.

I'm only really responding to this statement: "I can see the Pats, Giants and Jets pretty much every week for free. Who else would I watch?"

You wouldn't watch anybody because you would be watching the NFL, and just the good parts. You don't get commercials at all and you certainly don't get commercials after a score and then immediately again after the ensuing kickoff, you don't get boring dicking around and lame commentary between plays (for the most part), you don't get a 3 play series to run out the clock at the end of the half or any of the other boring mundane things that make watching a game that you're not invested in boring as shit.

All you get is action if it's happening, or at least a jump around the NFL to different games when there isn't action going on in that exact moment. It's every big play, every touchdown, and every highlight in real time and sometimes multiple games at once.

It's like watching an early 90s episode of Sportscenter or a mid to late 90s episode of ESPNs NFL wrap up or whatever it was called. I wish they had something like it for college football.

So you miss the flow of the game & the chess match.

Sounds awesome.

War: Spark notes sports
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:13 am

jb wrote:So you miss the flow of the game & the chess match.

Sounds awesome.

You always have the option of switching over to any particular game. Say for instance the game you're interested in is coming down to the wire and they go to a split screen to show you that Jacksonville entered the redzone against Houston, you can just select the game you're into and it will take you to the proper channel.

For the most part they do a good job with that though. They stay locked in on the marquee games when there isn't any scoring going on around the league. And when a crappy game enters the redzone they quickly show you the action and then switch back to the good game(s).
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:29 pm

jb wrote:
The Score wrote:
furls wrote:

Sounds awesome.

Unless it's Mr. Bill or Chip Kelly, and maybe Sean Payton, you're pretty much talking checkers, not chess. Even guys with rings got 'em with roster talent, organizational skills, and leadership. Either of the Hairball bros chess players?

Not exactly.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby jb » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:07 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
jb wrote:
The Score wrote:
furls wrote:

Sounds awesome.

Unless it's Mr. Bill or Chip Kelly, and maybe Sean Payton, you're pretty much talking checkers, not chess. Even guys with rings got 'em with roster talent, organizational skills, and leadership. Either of the Hairball bros chess players?

Not exactly.

I'm just an old fart analog fuddy duddy. I like the ebb and flow of a good game. The build up, the counter moves, the big plays in context. I haven;'t really watched a hilights show regularly since Berman had a new line.

I think OP makes a good point that this can be seen as a search tool to fins that, but I don't have Sunday ticket so it's kinda moot..
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena