Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

The Walking Dead, tv series

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: The Walking Dead, tv series

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:37 am

Daryl is going to lose his shit.

Just got caught up last night. I'm glad the governor is back, look out Maggie- shit's about to get real.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:14 pm

You mean Michonne? Daryl is going to have to deal with it. If it had been Carol in Karen's place he would feel no different than Ty. That's the point I think Rick will try to convey.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:04 pm

Tyrese wasn't gonna just let the murders go, and if Rick can't figure out who did it he either looks incompetent or like he's hiding something. And if he hides it, he's complicit. His course of action was probably the best, although neither Daryl nor Tyrese will be happy.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:09 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:You mean Michonne? .

Nope. the Governor is coming for the rest of Maggie's pride. Glen is a pussy.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:24 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:You mean Michonne? .

Nope. the Governor is coming for the rest of Maggie's pride. Glen is a pussy.

You're absolutely and hilariously wrong about Glenn, he's been one of the most important members of the group since he saved Rick's life in the first episode.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:55 pm

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

The last 2 episodes have been as good as anything shown in any TV series I can remember. Blows Breaking Fad and Fad Men outta the goddamn water.

The story of the Governor's fake redemption, once again masking the madman that lays right below the surface. Meeting Martinez and his group knowing the Governor would never accept taking orders from one his subordinates.

He stared taking out his rivals, with the exception of Mitch because they think alike and Mitch was the only one who could drive the tank. The Tank was the biggest mistake when they used it to breach the fence, it made the prison basically uninhabitable.

The death of Hershel was sad to see, he was one of the few voices of reason that remained and a great character. That was balanced out when Michonne's sword plunged right through the Governor's chest. Then seeing Mitch face to face with Daryl to get an arrow in the heart, and the kids blowing away Extra #516 and Alisha.

In the comic Rick get's his hand cut off by the Governor. This is obviously not a spoiler.

AND FUCK THE MID-SEASON FINALE. Just play the fucking episodes.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:43 am

I didn't enjoy the first episode of the Governor mini-arch at the time, but having seen the last 2, I appreciate it a lot more. It felt like a Greek tragedy. He finds a reason to live, and in trying to keep them alive, he causes the death of the girl (forget her name), almost everyone he was with, and himself.

Why did the Governor kill Hershel instead of Michonne? He thinks Hershel is a good person, and I think he still had a beef with Michonne, even though he told her he didn't. Is there a reason other than the show demanded it? Is it because he thought Hershel was a good man?

What was that...brain-looking thing Tyreese was showing Darryl and Rick just before the Governor attacked?
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:00 am

The death of Hershel over Michonne boils down to one thing, the story needs Michonne more. His death does hurt the group a great deal. He was the medic, wise man, and voice of reason. I just wish Michonne had taken the Governor's head.

I'm just glad they didn't drag out the Governor saga over the mid season finale. I knew once he killed Martinez and Pete that the showdown was going happen during that episode. Pete was too moral and Martinez knew about the Governor's past and could expose him.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:00 pm

Sad to see Hershel go, but I figured he was a goner going into this episode, anyway. The way they've been playing up his character with his speeches and actions, the writing was pretty much on the wall there. I also thought Darryl might kick the bucket--especially in light of some of the new characters who are being brought in during the second half who seem to be very "Daryll-esque" themselves--so I'm glad he's still around for now.

I also figured this would be the end of their habitation of the prison, and I was right. One outcome I was surprised by, however, was the group splintering into, what, three or four pieces? That creates a new dynamic and lots of potential for some new interactions and character development; plus, I suppose it keeps some superfluous characters alive for now. For instance, Tyrese was a bit wasted with Darryl around, but now that they're separated, each mini-group can have its own leader, badass, etc. Gotta imagine someone is going to bump into Carol out there, too. Be interesting to see who finds her first. I'm just wondering how long they'll all be separated. Really, other than a couple characters going missing or taken hostage for an episode or two, the group itself has never been apart before.

I definitely hope the baby is alive, too. I'm thinking the empty car seat and blood is just a red herring. Someone grabbed her up in the confusion. Now, whether it's one of the good guys, or, as I'm thinking, that lesbian chick and/or her sister, I think she'll turn up at some point. Gotta say, as a father myself--and of a little girl not much older than her--seeing that empty car seat was one of the most heart-wrenching scenes I've ever witnessed, even if this is just a goofy show meant for mindless entertainment.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:08 pm

even if this is just a goofy show meant for mindless entertainment.

What a terrible assessment of the show. It's anything but the way you described it.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:43 pm

I just mean, it ain't Breaking Bad and it's not bringing home any Emmys anytime soon, most likely because of the subject matter and premise. But it's still (usually) riveting and entertaining. It does what it's supposed to do. That's what I meant. It's the only show I actually watch on TV anymore, so I obviously like it. Goofy in the sense of finding innovative and gory ways to dispatch zombies on a weekly basis, not goofy as in stupid and not worthy of my time.

Having watched the newest episode again, I'd say I have another theory on the whereabouts of the baby...Michonne has her. She was the only character who was not shown leaving the prison, but there's no way she was killed off offscreen. Even more telling, there was that scene earlier in the season when she was reluctantly and tearfully holding the baby. No words were spoken, but it was pretty clear that there's something about her past involving a baby. Maybe she lost one at some point, during the outbreak or even before. Anyway, it would've been a pretty pointless scene to have included if there wasn't meant to be some kind of payoff later.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:20 pm

it ain't Breaking Bad

Something i'm very thankful for.

Michonne is a distinct possibility. But don't be surprised if she is dead, she was killed in the 2nd Woodbury assault on the prison in the comics (in Lori's arms). I expect they will regroup somewhere, I don't want the scatter shot approach that Boardwalk Empire employs, 3 different story lines going on and shit.

I'm betting they bring in the cannibals for the main antagonists for the second half of the season. They were somewhat minor characters in the comics (They caught Dale and ate his leg after he had been bit, which they didn't know) , but they could easily expand their role. In the end they regroup as they get a stronger signal from the ASZ (figure it out).
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:45 pm

Alexandria Safe Zone? Yeah, that broadcast they picked up on the car radio is probably originating from there. I was surprised no further mention of it was made again, but it has to come up again in the second half, now that they're homeless.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:25 am

Alexandria Safe Zone?

Bingo.

The season will probably end with the reunited remains of the group deciding to follow the signal. Or I could see Carol already knowing about Alexandria from her travels returning and leading them there. Which could lead to confrontation between Ty and Daryl where one dies.

Regarding Michonne and the baby.... keep in mind that two zombies she had chained and following her when she first appeared. The show may expand on that and switch the back story up a bit.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:28 am

The creator was on the Talking Dead, he said memorable characters need memorable deaths. The first blow was incredible (actually Maggie and her sister's reaction to it), but then when the Governor hacked the rest of his head off- that was insane.

Possibly better than Sophia getting capped.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:06 am

I'm not sure about Michonne having the baby as there was blood in the carrier and Michonne cleanly stuck "Brian" w/o having to get bloody. I don't recall seeing her getting bloody after that.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:49 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:I'm not sure about Michonne having the baby as there was blood in the carrier and Michonne cleanly stuck "Brian" w/o having to get bloody. I don't recall seeing her getting bloody after that.

I'm not sure I'd describe Michonne as not bloody, but yeah, that looked like an awful lot of blood in that carrier. However, one thing to consider is the lack of damage to the carrier otherwise (as far as I recall). The condition looked more like a human took a baby out of it, than a zombie eating a baby out of it.

My guess is that Judith is alive. Maybe with those little girls. If so, Judith would be alive as a direct result of Carrol.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:54 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:The death of Hershel over Michonne boils down to one thing, the story needs Michonne more. His death does hurt the group a great deal. He was the medic, wise man, and voice of reason. I just wish Michonne had taken the Governor's head.

I'm just glad they didn't drag out the Governor saga over the mid season finale. I knew once he killed Martinez and Pete that the showdown was going happen during that episode. Pete was too moral and Martinez knew about the Governor's past and could expose him.

That's probably part of it, but I think the main reason The Gov picked Hershel is the he rightly knew it would infuriate and anger the group much more than if it was Michonne. Because he's psycho. And once he saw Megan was gone he couldn't have given a fuck less about living in the prison or keeping anyone safe anymore, hence just bulldozing down the fence.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:41 pm

motherscratcher wrote: That's probably part of it, but I think the main reason The Gov picked Hershel is the he rightly knew it would infuriate and anger the group much more than if it was Michonne. Because he's psycho. And once he saw Megan was gone he couldn't have given a fuck less about living in the prison or keeping anyone safe anymore, hence just bulldozing down the fence.

Maybe. The prison was still a viable place to live in relative security compared to being out in a field. They destroyed that the moment that tank entered. The Governor's group had all the advantages, they had Rick's group massively outgunned. Killing any member of their group would infuriate them, Michonne/Hershel it wouldn't have mattered.

Plot wise.... Hershel had his run and Michonne still has much more of a story to be told.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:25 pm

Who sits on a lawn chair 50 yards from their daughter during a zombie apocolypse? I hate this mid-season crap. IMO by doing them they have slow builds to an episode that then feels so packed that it could have been expanded. Oh well, wait 3 months now...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:20 am

Orenthal wrote:Who sits on a lawn chair 50 yards from their daughter during a zombie apocolypse? I hate this mid-season crap. IMO by doing them they have slow builds to an episode that then feels so packed that it could have been expanded. Oh well, wait 3 months now...

I was thinking the same thing, and then she became infatuated with watching that walker turn into a floatation device. Meanwhile she lets her daughter play a great length away from her, near the woods. I didn't expect the walker to come up through the ground Tremors worm style.

At least Brian took care of the problem rather than trying to keep her alive in a zombie state like the last time.

The full on assault of the prison became a suicide mission of sorts. Gov's mission at that point was just to single handily take out Rick at any cost. He was nearly successful.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:32 am

Mid-season Finale's should be banned. It's a goddamn oxymoron. You forget half of what's been said and done by the time it comes back around.

And the whole "lawn chair" thing is a bunch of nothing. The kid was playing and the area had been pretty much cleared of walkers and there is no way she could have known there was one underground. It was a tragic accident, not a parent being irresponsible.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:46 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
And the whole "lawn chair" thing is a bunch of nothing. The kid was playing and the area had been pretty much cleared of walkers and there is no way she could have known there was one underground. It was a tragic accident, not a parent being irresponsible.

However she was pretty "new" to the outside world after Brian took theem away from their apartment complex. And remember, little Megan almost became an appetizer playing a game of tag with her aunt within their camp the previous week. As a parent witnessing that, you'd tend to be a bit closer in proximity to your child. In the real world at least.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:05 am

I thought the tank was a bit silly and unrealistic. Anyone who knows anything about tanks understands that in those circumstances a tank would be nearly impossible to keep fueled and shells would be hard to find.

The thing they got right was the infantry following the tank and using it as cover. That's been the MO of tank warfare since they first rolled onto the battlefield.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:16 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

However she was pretty "new" to the outside world after Brian took theem away from their apartment complex. And remember, little Megan almost became an appetizer playing a game of tag with her aunt within their camp the previous week. As a parent witnessing that, you'd tend to be a bit closer in proximity to your child. In the real world at least.

I agree with that. I'm not sure how you can be sure that the area was "cleared of walkers" with any degree of certainty. Especially so close to the woods. If that was my kid I'm sure as shit not sitting on top of a camper that far away.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:18 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Mid-season Finale's should be banned. It's a goddamn oxymoron. You forget half of what's been said and done by the time it comes back around.

I don't mind midseason finales, actually. You don't have to wait as long for it to come back. Either way, it's way better than the old model of 22 episodes spread out over 40 weeks with repeats all the damn time.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am

It came from underground. It's not like a walker stumbled out of the woods and grabbed her. If it had come from the woods Megan would have more than likely noticed it and ran. Walkers aren't exactly stealthy, lumbering through wooded areas and making all kinds of noises. Both moving through the environment and vocally by the snarling and growling they emit when food is nearby.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:31 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I thought the tank was a bit silly and unrealistic. Anyone who knows anything about tanks understands that in those circumstances a tank would be nearly impossible to keep fueled and shells would be hard to find.

The thing they got right was the infantry following the tank and using it as cover. That's been the MO of tank warfare since they first rolled onto the battlefield.

Just saw the episode tonight, thought it was real good, but the tank took me out of it to.. Not b/c of the fuel/maintenance/ammo issues, but because it was a M60 Patton Tank, and no branch of US service to include any National Guard has used them since the mid 90s. They would have had to either gotten that tank out of a Muesium , or bought it from some middle eastern country
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:59 am

Govbarney wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I thought the tank was a bit silly and unrealistic. Anyone who knows anything about tanks understands that in those circumstances a tank would be nearly impossible to keep fueled and shells would be hard to find.

Just saw the episode tonight, thought it was real good, but the tank took me out of it to.. Not b/c of the fuel/maintenance/ammo issues, but because it was a M60 Patton Tank, and no branch of US service to include any National Guard has used them since the mid 90s. They would have had to either gotten that tank out of a Muesium , or bought it from some middle eastern country

I'm not sure whether to be impressed or tell you to go fuck yourself.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:01 pm

I think there's still Patton Tanks around. I doubt they all were sold off or mothballed. In a way, I think it makes sense because most of the Abrams were probably deployed to stop the outbreak, leaving the outdated Patton as an only option.

It still doesn't change the fact that without a fuel tanker support the tank would run out of fuel very quickly. I believe the Abrams can run on anything flammable, jet fuel, kerosene, gasoline, shit even alcohol.

If Rick's group had been pushed back into the prison, it would have been a death trap for the Governor's group. So many places to hide and ambush, plus they know the prison much better.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:28 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I think there's still Patton Tanks around. I doubt they all were sold off or mothballed. In a way, I think it makes sense because most of the Abrams were probably deployed to stop the outbreak, leaving the outdated Patton as an only option.

It still doesn't change the fact that without a fuel tanker support the tank would run out of fuel very quickly. I believe the Abrams can run on anything flammable, jet fuel, kerosene, gasoline, shit even alcohol.

If Rick's group had been pushed back into the prison, it would have been a death trap for the Governor's group. So many places to hide and ambush, plus they know the prison much better.

Only M60's owned by the US Government are either in Museums, or being used for stationary target practice on Tank Gunnery ranges (these have been striped and are unusable for environmental reasons). Last M60 in US service was with the Minnesota National Guard, and it was decommissioned in 1997.

That being said there are many countries around the world which still use this tank as there primary battle tank , but none are in N. America.

Also for what it is worth there are no Armor Units in the Georgia National Guard to begin with ( I mention that b/c I believe that dude who had the tank said he was a Guardsman.) There is some Armor at Ft. Benning, but its all M1A2s and Bradley s.

The M60 does run on regular Gasoline however, and its about half the weight with half the required maintenance as a M1A1 or A2, which would make it the ideal platform for this post apocalyptic scenario.

The M1A1 or A2 is a beast , and it only uses jet fuel but can be modified to take diesel which it burns through at an astonishing rate. The likelihood of one operator, and a rag tag group of survivors being able to maintain it are extremely slim.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:20 pm

According to this, it can run on multiple fuel sources.

The M1A2 Abrams is powered by Honeywell AGT1500 multi-fuel gas turbine engine, developing 1 500 horsepower. This engine can run on any grade of petrol, diesel, kerosene, or jet fuel. It's main drawback is a high fuel consumption and troublesome maintenance. Engine can be replaced in field conditions within 30 minutes.

http://www.military-today.com/tanks/m1a2_abrams.htm

And this says we still have M60's in reserve.

The M60 Patton main battle tank is now primarily found in US Reserve and National Guard units, but served as the primary US main battle tank for two decades prior to the introduction of the M1.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m60.htm
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:56 pm

I checked with someone I work with who is a 19K (Tank Crewman/Maintainer) He told me he heard the same thing in school about the M1A2s multiple fuel capabilities, but he nor any of his instructors have ever heard of anyone ever using anything other then Jet Fuel or Diesel. So I guess at least according to the manufacturer it is possible.

As for the M60, I can tell you with some level of certainty there are no more in service in the Active Army, Marines, Guard, and Reserves. However Wikipedia mentions that some are still in active service with the Air Force for use as OPFOR for Radar accusation training, I cant verify this though. That all being said I wouldnt be shocked if some National Guard had one or two sitting around in some controlled humidity warehouse that fell off the books decades ago. Stuff like that happens often. I once had to do a inventory in one such warehouse, and you would believe the shit we found.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:16 pm

I guess it really doesn't matter, it's an obsolete tank anyhow. They would be fodder for any of the newer MBTs, Abrams, Challenger 2, Leopard 2, Leclerc, and T-90.

It was just out of place in the show. I did love seeing Daryl toss that grenade right down the barrel.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Govbarney » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:13 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I guess it really doesn't matter, it's an obsolete tank anyhow. They would be fodder for any of the newer MBTs, Abrams, Challenger 2, Leopard 2, Leclerc, and T-90.

It was just out of place in the show. I did love seeing Daryl toss that grenade right down the barrel.

Even the more modern Isreal or Egypt M60s with the Chobham Armor (composite of steel and kevlar) would crush a old US M60.

I figured they used it because it was easier to get from a private collecter, or the studio bought a few, and M1A1s where just to expensive or hard to come by (possibly illegal) but then I remebered there where a couple of M1A1s in the first season and Rick even hid in one in Atlanta, so go figure.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:12 pm

Govbarney wrote: but then I remebered there where a couple of M1A1s in the first season and Rick even hid in one in Atlanta, so go figure.

I was on YouTube a while back and one of the "recommended videos" was "Why The Walking Dead SUCKS!!!". So of course I clicked on it and the guy's whole rant was about how it was so stupid that Rick didn't take that tank he hid in cause he could just run over the zombies. That ruined the show for him.

Abrams: so easy a guy who just came out of a coma can drive it.

Obviously you don't need any training or other crew members to operate a highly sophisticated war machine. You just turn the key and go. Say "PEW PEW PEW!!" to fire the gun.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I guess it really doesn't matter, it's an obsolete tank anyhow. They would be fodder for any of the newer MBTs, Abrams, Challenger 2, Leopard 2, Leclerc, and T-90.

Out of place for the 0.0001% of people like yourselves who have enough knowledge of tanks to be able to tell the difference between, not only type of tank, but also era of use and likely locations. Don't get me wrong, your knowledge is both impressive and fascinating (sincerely), but my guess is that an AMC show that wishes to utilize a tank during production is not in a position to be very choosy as to which tank they might have access to.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:18 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Govbarney wrote: but then I remebered there where a couple of M1A1s in the first season and Rick even hid in one in Atlanta, so go figure.

I was on YouTube a while back and one of the "recommended videos" was "Why The Walking Dead SUCKS!!!". So of course I clicked on it and the guy's whole rant was about how it was so stupid that Rick didn't take that tank he hid in cause he could just run over the zombies. That ruined the show for him.

Obviously you don't need any training or other crew members to operate a highly sophisticated war machine. You just turn the key and go. Say "PEW PEW PEW!!" to fire the gun.

Good point. On the other hand I probably would have spent a couple minutes looking for the on button and gas pedal before I abandoned the thing.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:25 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

Out of place for the 0.0001% of people like yourselves who have enough knowledge of tanks to be able to tell the difference between, not only type of tank, but also era of use and likely locations. Don't get me wrong, your knowledge is both impressive and fascinating (sincerely), but my guess is that an AMC show that wishes to utilize a tank during production is not in a position to be very choosy as to which tank they might have access to.

Ehhh. I'm picking at nits. Looking back at the comics the tank was used pretty much in the same way. It just happened in the 2nd assault by the Woodbury group.

The changes in plot really don't bother me, there are somethings AMC cannot show. Like Lori and Judith being killed or Michonne being raped, then her revenge on the Governor in which she tortures him horrifically. Taking his arm, eye, ripping out his fingernails, and castrating him.

I'm really not sure if Judith is dead or not. There was one quick shot of Ty cradling something as he was moving away. There's no way AMC was going to show a baby being eaten by walkers.

The Governor has to rank up there with the all time most vile villains in TV history.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Govbarney » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:30 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Good point. On the other hand I probably would have spent a couple minutes looking for the on button and gas pedal before I abandoned the thing.

You got to remember at this point of the show Rick still didn't really understand the scope of the problem , it probibly didn't occure to him "hey maybe a tank will come in handy in case I ever have to defend a prison against a one eyed sociopath." Never the less CDT is right on, it's the most advanced battle tank the world has ever known , not a Toyota yaris.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:42 pm

Even then the horde of walkers was so thick that I think even an Abrams could get stuck on the massive pile corpses. If it didn't work for the trained guys who were using it during the outbreak, what chance does one guy with no training have? It was probably dead in the water with no way to refuel anyway. Plus the sound would draw in every walker in downtown Atlanta.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Govbarney » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:53 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Even then the horde of walkers was so thick that I think even an Abrams could get stuck on the massive pile corpses. If it didn't work for the trained guys who were using it during the outbreak, what chance does one guy with no training have? It was probably dead in the water with no way to refuel anyway. Plus the sound would draw in every walker in downtown Atlanta.

I didn't even think of the sound , I been around them before and it deafening . I have also seen them get stuck in sand and mud, if you google pictures if them in Iraq you will see allot of pictures of them getting stuck in the mud/sand during the rainy season, so it's reasonable to assume it could get stuck in conjested city street swimming in a sea of corpses.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby noles1 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:55 am

I just fully caught up. Had been saving episode 8 for tomorrow but after the Bucks game I had to take my mind off that defense.

Great last few episodes. Actually other than maybe 1 or 2 the first 8 have been tremendous. Show really forced out the tragedy that the comics constantly exerts. I'm not a fan of the massive question marks left though. It's annoying and too "Lost-ish" for my liking. Just tell the fuckin story.

Glad they did the Governor the way they did, I was worried they would drag him along to carry storylines for another season. Perfect climax and conclusion for him.

Will be interested how AMC looks at the season 5. With the ratings success, how will that affect the story, budget (huge reason for slowness in Season 2's pace), characters, etc. Will be interesting to see play out.

As for the series overall, it's maybe easy to knock at times but there is some deep and heavy shit if you really give it examination. The "pack" mentality and the delve into the human survival psyche can be fascinating. Is not always written the best way, particularly some episodes, and certain characters aren't given their "comic" due but it's not like The Walking Dead is as mindless as people tend to make it out to be. I just think it's simply easier for viewers to not delve into the thoughts of such an environment and rather just enjoy zombie killing entertainment. (which is fine too)
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:56 am

Watching zombies get stabbed, shot, and beat to a pulp is fun, but the show is much more than that. It examines human nature after the safety and comfort of society breaks down. It doesn't have to be zombies to have a similar situation. It could be a plague, war, solar flares knocking out power globally, or other weather catastrophes. The human response to this is the meat of the show.

What would you do to protect the ones you love? Could you kill? Could you teach your child to kill? Could you steal from others knowing they will die because of your actions? Is even trying to stay alive worth the horrors of survival when the hope for a return to normal is a futile one?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:17 pm

alright, a few episodes into the second half. How does everyone feel the season is progressing?

-Carl sure can eat the shit out of pudding
-wishing they'd have saved the unveiling that baby Judith was alive until after Carl/Michonne's convo about soy milk. Would have made that scene more effective
-Rick must be the most stealthy bathroom brawler ever. Nice move to leave the door cracked so when his opponent turns, a fun time will be had by all
-Daryl can his the shit outta zombie brains with a 7 iron
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:58 pm

I'm not sure of the response that these episodes have been getting, but I think they are some of the best ones they've ever done. I like the focus on a few players at a time, maybe not for the long haul but it's a nice change of pace right now.

- that episode with Rick trapped in the house while Carl andMichonne were scavenging where as tense as anything I've seen on screen. That was one of the best episodes ever IMO. I'm sure we will see that group again. I cant remember who was sitting on the rail, but I recognized the actor and they didn't hire that guy to sit on a rail for five seconds. Maybe the next Big Bad?

- looking forward to more Abraham. Like that dude. Hope he's not an asshole.

- I know the guy is a "scientist" and not a soldier, but I refuse to believe that anyone would be that incompetent with a gun in the midst of the fucking zombie apocalypse. I've never fired a gun in my life but I have to believe that I'd have figured it out by now if I was that guy.

- I hope Glen finds Maggie soon. I'm already tired of those two assholes wondering if the other made it out.

- never thought I'd say this at the beginning of the show but...it's nice to see Carol back.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:49 pm

I do enjoy this show very much. I thought the past episode, which focused solely on Beth and Darryl was pretty good. I'm glad Beth is being fleshed out a bit, though that probably means she's about to die.

Carol has become my favorite character. Still not quite convinced she's the one who killed Karen and David. I think there's a decent shot little kiddie Manson did it. I like Carl too - I find exploring what someone who grows up in this world will become.

Abraham seems genuine. I think he's generally a good guy. As for Eugene...that guy I don't trust.

Glenn and Maggie...I think they're going to drag that out until at least the end of the season. Unfortunately.

Would anyone be upset if they killed off Rick? I wouldn't.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:06 pm

motherscratcher wrote:- I hope Glen finds Maggie soon. I'm already tired of those two assholes wondering if the other made it out.

Rack that shit. And my only beef with the scientist is the haircut. I know it's the apocalypse, but just cut that shit short like a normal man.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:37 pm

Just my two cents, but I'd say that right now the show is as good as it's ever been--on par with the first six episodes in the first season (the Darabont days), which were my favorite. The new show-runner, Scott Gimple, seems to have a much better grasp than Darabont's replacement, Glenn Mazzara, on actually developing the characters and building up to moments with deeper, more resonant payoffs. The characters are now much more defined and multi-faceted...Michonne went from a dumb, scowling, "why is she even on the show" character who never spoke and had no real backstory to one of the most fleshed-out people with just a little thought put into it in the writer's room. I don't think we would have seen that last year, and certainly not because there wasn't time for it...it just wasn't considered as important.

Mazzara had some good, memorable moments with the show, but there were far more moments when it seemed he was less interested in character development and more interested in getting to the big set piece moments...cheap zombie scares and killing off people; characters we'd seen for whole seasons (T-Dog, anyone?) were offed at a moment's notice because the script called for it. I remember hearing how originally Dale's death was going to be given to another character...if "insert random character's name here" is how exits were planned, no wonder the show was getting some crap for a while there. The random element of death in the zombie apocalypse was a nice touch and I get the appeal, but from a deeper narrative standpoint, the deaths have more meaning and resonance when we not only care about the characters, but feel like it's the conclusion of some narrative and symbolic arc. I feel like we're getting that now. For instance, Hershel's death was all but telegraphed several episodes ahead of time with his words and actions, but the method itself was the true shock, and the payoff much deeper. It made sense that it was Hershel who died there, and the characters were all truly affected in different ways.

I like, too, how this season there are little touches and interactions that pop back up throughout the season, like Daryl and Beth's moments in the first episode. You could tell then that these two were going to have a deeper shared storyline, and sure enough, that's just what we're getting now. There's far less randomness and much more of a sense of interconnectedness and movement, at least from what I'm seeing. And I like it.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:46 pm

motherscratcher wrote:- that episode with Rick trapped in the house while Carl andMichonne were scavenging where as tense as anything I've seen on screen. That was one of the best episodes ever IMO. I'm sure we will see that group again. I cant remember who was sitting on the rail, but I recognized the actor and they didn't hire that guy to sit on a rail for five seconds. Maybe the next Big Bad?

You called it...nice one. Looks like, if nothing else, he'll be a major hurdle going into the season finale.
Adverb Harry

PreviousNext

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture