Text Size

College Sports Arena

Does an undefeated OSU team make the NCG?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Does an undefeated OSU team make the NCG?

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:05 am

The only thing that can stop us now is Sparty.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:13 am

furls wrote:
The Score wrote:It's all silly at this point.

Auburn beat Alabama, they should be #2... Then if Mizzou beats Auburn, well they beat Auburn who beat Alabama so they should be #2.

but wait a minute... didn't LSU beat Auburn earlier this year? Then shouldn't LSU be #2, but 'Bama beat LSU therefore Bama should be #2, but they just lost to Auburn.

But wait a minute, what if Mizzou beats aTm then goes on to beat Auburn... then Mizzou should be #2 but where does that put USC(e) who beat Mizzou a few weeks ago?

I've been saying it for about 7 weeks now, the SEC is not that great this year. They are living off the reputations of SEC's past.

Furls, for S & G remind me the year the SEC stopped packing schollies and running kids off? Two years ago? Is this as simple as playing by the same rules for input variables bringing them back down to earth?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:27 am

To clarify, when I said "These things work themselves out" it was in regard to the "undeafeated" subject - not the championship match. Hell, there's hardly ever two major undefeateds - let alone 4 as some where concerned about. Just showin' some numbers that bear that out.

Again, I think OSU's two year streak is gonna hold some strength in the human poll. Personally, I'm no homer about this shit - horrid conference and yada yada - but after two years, OSU-or any major team on a 24 game heater....I'm at the point where I say "someone's gotta beat that team."
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:28 am

The SEC implemented some hollow measures 2 years ago, but they are still largely not followed.

Here is the policy:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011 ... ent_r.html

Here is how they are ignoring (loopholing?) it:

http://oversigning.com/testing/index.ph ... gning-cup/
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:33 am

In 2013 here are some class size numbers:

aTm: 32
UGA: 34
Ole Miss: 29
Ark: 34
Vandy: 28
'Bama: 27
UF: 28
LSU: 27

Teams that are close get a break on this as some can be attributed to a previous year if they enroll early.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:45 am

In the end it's about beating Sparty.

Understand the power these university presidents wield. Understand the precarious situation the BCS holds.

This isn't ignoring Boisie or TCU.

This is the BCS capping Franz Ferdinand.
jb

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:06 pm

What is the opinion around here about Marcus Hall's 2 finger salute in terms of further suspensions? Does the B1G suspend him for the conference championship game because of it? Does Urban suspend him because of it? I mean there were women in attendance and watching on TV right and doesn't Urban have a rule about respecting women???

This seems like a grey area.. Is there any precedent on this?

By the way Elfein looked quite capable when he filled-in.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:42 pm

I think this is perfectly stated and what I was saying last week. It's not a knock on anyone. It's a knock on everyone. But I get why fans feel like that.

Scott Van Pelt ‏@notthefakeSVP 10h
Know this much for sure about CFB, if an opinion doesn't endorse the team you support, it's an "agenda" or a "narrative".
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:50 pm

peeker643 wrote:I think this is perfectly stated and what I was saying last week. It's not a knock on anyone. It's a knock on everyone. But I get why fans feel like that.

Know this much for sure about CFB, if an opinion doesn't endorse the team you support, it's an "agenda" or a "narrative".

Ummm.... Peek, I was sort of along with the whole, "Maybe FSU is better than OSU because they beat Clemson thing." I was sort of on board with the whole, "Oregon has just looked better than OSU thus far thing." I even agreed.

The 4 letter network has only had one consistent message this entire season, therefore it is a narrative/agenda. That message has been, "Anyone but Ohio State." How else did I successfully predict that they would start singing Auburn's praises if they beat 'Bama. It is because their narrative/agenda has become transparent. You can already see them building the case for Mizzou should Auburn lose.

My question is this, if the SEC is this much better than everyone else, how did Mizzou close the gap in just 2 years?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:53 pm

peeker643 wrote:I think this is perfectly stated and what I was saying last week. It's not a knock on anyone. It's a knock on everyone. But I get why fans feel like that.

Shunning an undefeated OSU for a 1 loss SEC team may well result in an existential threat to the BCS.

Connect the dots & really think about it.

Follow the money.

Today OSU tomorrow Texas, Stanford or ND.

Think about it.
jb

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:54 pm

furls wrote:

Ummm.... Peek, I was sort of along with the whole, "Maybe FSU is better than OSU because they beat Clemson thing." I was sort of on board with the whole, "Oregon has just looked better than OSU thus far thing." I even agreed.

The 4 letter network has only had one consistent message this entire season, therefore it is a narrative/agenda. That message has been, "Anyone but Ohio State." How else did I successfully predict that they would start singing Auburn's praises if they beat 'Bama. It is because their narrative/agenda has become transparent. You can already see them building the case for Mizzou should Auburn lose.

My question is this, if the SEC is this much better than everyone else, how did Mizzou close the gap in just 2 years?

Bristol has an agenda. No question.

But Bristol ain't the deciders.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:18 pm

The other thing that is interesting is how all of a sudden the shift away from "style points" winning to a "win is a win" with regards to this push for Auburn to be justified. Auburn has won their past two games in improbable fashion, with borderline freakish plays in the final moments, there were no style points in those two victories. So it begs the question, what's more important, your efforts in putting together a schedule that is critic proof, or actually winning football games? B/C the former is great and all, but when you end up with a loss or losses via said schedule you should not receive benefits that over shadow the fundamental goal of the sport, which is winning the games.

So are wins the most important aspect of polls, or do wins carry enough weight in the formulas that spit out rankings, even if those "formulas" are strictly done in our subjective minds?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:43 pm

This is a decent little article, makes a very good point about perception and how the SEC streak is in legit jeopardy.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/notebook/_/page/gamedayFinal1201/week-14

FUDU

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:03 pm

jb wrote:

Shunning an undefeated OSU for a 1 loss SEC team may well result in an existential threat to the BCS.

Follow the money.

Think about it.

Crazy, I know. Almost as if ESPN and the SEC were in bed together for the next 20 years. Like they were forming a network to be carried exclusively by ESPN for gazillions of $$$ or something.

Wait, what's that?

Nevermind.

The BCS is dead. It died with the playoff system. ESPN is unabasedly pimping the Auburn/Missouri winner simply because they are following the $$$. And those $$$ lead right to this

And Scott van Pelt can eat shit and die.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:47 pm

Scott Van Pelt is singing the company song.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:58 pm

Officially #2 in BCS this week. #2 pretty much across the board in the polls and computer rankings. No surprises.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:14 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:Officially #2 in BCS this week. #2 pretty much across the board in the polls and computer rankings. No surprises.

The way I'm hearing it, that IS the surprise?

Buckeyes win they're in.

Pretty simple.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:15 pm

By the way, who do we lose next year?

4 starting OL
Hyde
Philly Brown
Pit Brown
Shazier
Roby
C Bryant
Barnet
J Hall
Guiton
Basil
C Fields

Anyone else?

That's a crap load to lose.

I think 80% Braxton comes back next year unless he absolutely blows up in the CCG and NCG, has 2 incredible games with his arm and is told that he would be a early-to-mid first rounder. I don't see that happending so I think he's back next year.

Our Dline should also be a strength next year. Losing Hyde will be a blow but with EzE, Wilson, Ball, Dunn, Smith we should be ok. I'm really concerned about our LB's and DB's (not a strength this year but next year we will be counting on a lot of youth). I'm also pretty worried about 4 new offense lineman.

I think we need to win it all this year since our next realistic opportunity might not be for a few years.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:21 pm

peeker643 wrote:
YahooFanChicago wrote:Officially #2 in BCS this week. #2 pretty much across the board in the polls and computer rankings. No surprises.

Buckeyes win they're in.

Pretty simple.

I agree, they win they are in so this wasn't a surprise to me.

The ESPN and other talking heads are essentially weathermen talking up a huge blizzard the night before - - they probably know that it's only going to deliver an inch of snow but they want the eyeballs and ratings.

70% of the paid sports talking heads probably know better but they are fishing for ratings or money from their benefactors. The other 30% are just lazy and/or stupid and are just repeating what they hear.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:27 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Buckeyes win they're in.

Pretty simple.

The ESPN and other talking heads are essentially weathermen talking up a huge blizzard the night before - - they probably know that it's only going to deliver an inch of snow but they want the eyeballs and ratings.

I like the analogy and agree. It's all about the clicks and nothing gets Mizzou or Auburn fan or any other fan base fired up, clicking and commenting like this kind of crap.

And even with the BCS game spoken for, it builds interest/animosity for the sport and the networks themselves for the future.

I simply don't read it. I like Van Pelt's show. I find him to be relatively honest, intellectually speaking. I occasionally tune in to his show but I don't read much ESPN, Bleacher Report, Grantland, etc unless someone recommends it.

These sites have become almost as bad as the commenters on their articles.

No time for that crap.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:28 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:By the way, who do we lose next year?

4 starting OL
Hyde: Big Loss, but mitigated by existing Depth
Philly Brown Moderate Loss, not irreplaceable, Jalin Marshall is next man up and is a long term improvement.
Pit Brown So what?
Shazier Huge loss at a position with 0 depth.
Roby Bigger loss than some here think. Plays very physical against the run, and is good in coverage. I think Grant moves over to the boundary and one of Burrows, Apple, Conley or Webb replaces him at field.
C Bryant Moderate loss at a position with little depth. He was decent in coverage and decent against the run. Probably replaced by Vonn Bell, who is hopefully an upgrade.
Barnett Moderate loss Tyvis Powell probably moves over from the nickel
J Hall Meh, so what
Guiton nice luxury, next man up Cardale or JT
Basil Replacement is 2014 kicker out of KY with an absolutely HUGE leg. Still don't know how he will do in front of 105K. Fortunately Meyer doesn't kick many field goals
C Fields He's been a good Buckeye and made some huge plays. I think he is a little underrated, but not irreplaceable. Lots of talent on the team at the inside receiver position, maybe replaced by James Clark, Terry McLaurin or Curtis Samuel.

Anyone else?

That's a crap load to lose.

I think 80% Braxton comes back next year unless he absolutely blows up in the CCG and NCG, has 2 incredible games with his arm and is told that he would be a early-to-mid first rounder. I don't see that happending so I think he's back next year.

Our Dline should also be a strength next year. Losing Hyde will be a blow but with EzE, Wilson, Ball, Dunn, Smith we should be ok. I'm really concerned about our LB's and DB's (not a strength this year but next year we will be counting on a lot of youth). I'm also pretty worried about 4 new offense lineman.

I think we need to win it all this year since our next realistic opportunity might not be for a few years.

Added my comments in bold. Looks like a good list.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:49 pm

peeker643 wrote:
I simply don't read it. I like Van Pelt's show. I find him to be relatively honest, intellectually speaking. I occasionally tune in to his show but I don't read much ESPN, Bleacher Report, Grantland, etc unless someone recommends it.

No time for that crap.

Yeh, I get more real info from this site from people like Furls, Dan, Eyo (while he was here), Al, etc. then any network or other website. The networks and other websites are often good entertainment but rarely any real, new information.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:46 pm

peeker643 wrote:
YahooFanChicago wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Buckeyes win they're in.

Pretty simple.

I like the analogy and agree. It's all about the clicks and nothing gets Mizzou or Auburn fan or any other fan base fired up, clicking and commenting like this kind of crap.

And even with the BCS game spoken for, it builds interest/animosity for the sport and the networks themselves for the future.

No time for that crap.

Just because peeps don't read it does not remove the fact that there is a huge conflict of interest that no one has the stones to call them on.
mattvan1

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:49 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
jb wrote:

Follow the money.

Think about it.

Crazy, I know. Almost as if ESPN and the SEC were in bed together for the next 20 years. Like they were forming a network to be carried exclusively by ESPN for gazillions of $$$ or something.

Wait, what's that?

Nevermind.

The BCS is dead. It died with the playoff system. ESPN is unabasedly pimping the Auburn/Missouri winner simply because they are following the $$$. And those $$$ lead right to this

And Scott van Pelt can eat shit and die.

Bristol & the Cotton Belt aren't dickin with the punks anymore. They are basically telling the big boys to ES & die. They are Tony Montana screwing with the wrong suppliers.

Look, the NCAA would like nothing more but to make BCS like the Men's hoops tourney. They hemmorage millions to what might be a semi corrupt series of anachronistic middle men.

If the rest of the majors get bitch slapped that may well be the fight.

The BCS is far from dead as a system Matty. But pick a fight over taking money from the coffers of an OSU plus the disrespect?

They won't push it that far.
jb

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:50 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the nod there. I do my best to keep y'all educated.

I don't spend much time on the 4 letter network on purpose either, although I do catch some of it on accident. I do enjoy Adam Rittenbergs B1G takes too. He is generally pretty knowledgeable and stays out of the national BS.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:48 am

JB, what if the mouse steals the cheese and the BSC still fucks us over by blowing the Tiger while the submissive Native American jerks off and weeps quietly in the corner?

Shit, the cat may eat the dog while animal control goes out for pizza.

Puck had it right; "Lord, what fools these mortals be!"

You pickin' up what i'm putting down? Or do I need to simplify it like Combat on the 2600?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby fairvis » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:14 am

A lead of 0.025 in the Harris poll, 0.016 in the Coaches, and 0.4 in the computers. We're not getting jumped as long as we beat MSU and there isn't a massive corrupt campaign in the polls. Plus, our computer ranking will rise against FSU this week- we'd jump them a few times due to our SOS (already 61st compared to FSU's 66th in Sagarin ratings) increasing more.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby jb » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:23 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:JB, what if the mouse steals the cheese and the BSC still fucks us over by blowing the Tiger while the submissive Native American jerks off and weeps quietly in the corner?

You pickin' up what i'm putting down? Or do I need to simplify it like Combat on the 2600?

Well the voters don't seem to be ignoring a century of precedent as I thought they wouldn't. Remember the coaches poll is political and it's Urbs vs some come lately Scrumpty Dump. And they know it is as I wrote. Today OSU tomorrow them.

If it happened it'd be a pyrrhic sec victory. I'd give the BCS a year or 2 more max.

They killed their brand. The bowls are meaningless now. The $ are in the NCAAs sites. All they need is a lit fuse. I don't see it happening.

It is good to hear other fans whine & cry tho. I don't have to be embarrassed now.

Main thing is beating Sparty & not going 97.

Then it's "be careful what you ask for. FSU puts me more in mind of 96 than 02. This D ain't got it. Bucks need to get lucky via the criminal justice system.
jb

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:08 pm

jb wrote: Bristol & the Cotton Belt aren't dickin with the punks anymore. They are basically telling the big boys to ES & die. They are Tony Montana screwing with the wrong suppliers.

Look, the NCAA would like nothing more but to make BCS like the Men's hoops tourney. They hemmorage millions to what might be a semi corrupt series of anachronistic middle men.

If the rest of the majors get bitch slapped that may well be the fight.

The BCS is far from dead as a system Matty. But pick a fight over taking money from the coffers of an OSU plus the disrespect?

They won't push it that far.

Not sure how/where you feel the BCS is not dead? Maybe just semantics? This is the last year of the BCS Championship and the also the end of the BCS poll. I'm sure the AP and Coaches and all the other polls will still exist, but the BCS coalition (as a business and as a brand) is done.

A committee will select the top 4 next year (probably using, in some part polls) but whatever school wins the sausage on that first Monday in Jan 2015 will not be The BCS Champion.
mattvan1

Unread postby jb » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:13 pm

So long as the money flows through those ramoras the BCS is alive and unwell.

To me, the BCS isn't about whether there is one bowl or 3 bowls. It is about whether there is an outside entity shaping the competition, influencing in an extracurricular manner, and siphoning off funds in an inequitable manner creating haves and have nots.

The BCS isn't the tourney. It's the entity. And it smells.

PS - wait until you see what a cluster fuck this new committee will be.
jb

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:46 pm

jb wrote:So long as the money flows through those ramoras the BCS is alive and unwell.

To me, the BCS isn't about whether there is one bowl or 3 bowls. It is about whether there is an outside entity shaping the competition, influencing in an extracurricular manner, and siphoning off funds in an inequitable manner creating haves and have nots.

Gotcha and agree. This is the SECs wet dream, where 2 or 3 of their teams are in the playoffs every year. With Condi Rice on the selection committee what could go wrong?
mattvan1

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:03 pm

jb wrote:So long as the money flows through those ramoras the BCS is alive and unwell.

Agree, just b/c there will be a playoff, doesn't mean the controversy will end. My understanding is a BCS style ranking system will be used as a metric for said committee, and just b/c teams will be ranked #1 #2 #3 or #4 doesn't guarantee the committee will endorse them for that playoff.

Is that correct? If so just imagine how that could end up at some point.

FUDU

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:29 pm

OK......my serotonin levels have stabilized.........next years "controversy" will not be so much 1,2, or 3.....but who gets that last #4 spot.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:51 pm

jb wrote:Then it's "be careful what you ask for. FSU puts me more in mind of 96 than 02. This D ain't got it. Bucks need to get lucky via the criminal justice system.

I'll be curious to see how the old "banquet tour" effects the young Mr Winston.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby jb » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Govbarney wrote:
jb wrote:Then it's "be careful what you ask for. FSU puts me more in mind of 96 than 02. This D ain't got it. Bucks need to get lucky via the criminal justice system.

I'll be curious to see how the old "banquet tour" effects the young Mr Winston.

you mean bread & water?

I wouldn't even assume he's playing...
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:24 pm

If FSU is going to get in and we'e going to play them I'd just assume play them at full strength. Isn't that what this is supposed to be all about?

...again I reserve the right to be completely satisfied if we were to beat a Winston-less FSU team.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:06 pm

fairvis wrote:A lead of 0.025 in the Harris poll, 0.016 in the Coaches, and 0.4 in the computers. We're not getting jumped as long as we beat MSU and there isn't a massive corrupt campaign in the polls. Plus, our computer ranking will rise against FSU this week- we'd jump them a few times due to our SOS (already 61st compared to FSU's 66th in Sagarin ratings) increasing more.

You don't need a massive corrupt campaign in the polls. The key is actually the computers.

If Auburn passes OSU in 5 of the 6 computers all they need is 1 vote to change in the Harris Polls. I created a BCS calculator for fun last night, so I could "sensitivity analysis."

Here is the outcome... right now OSU leads by a total of .02709. We as humans do not think well in decimals to the 10,000ths place, so in order to rescale I will multiply all results by 10,000 it makes it easier to understand. By doing that OSU leads Auburn by 270.9 pts.

Each vote that swings from OSU to Auburn in the Harris poll is worth 2.5 points.
Each vote that swings from OSU to Auburn in the Coaches poll is worth 4.3 points.
**Each computer vote that swings from OSU to Auburn is worth 66.67 points.

**BCS rankings drop each schools high and low ranking so you are compared by your middle 4.

Each of those rankings above assumes that Auburn and OSU are swapped for each other, basically a voter that had OSU 2 and Auburn 3, feels compelled after the weekend to make Auburn 2 and OSU 3. Of course they could suddenly decide that OSU is now the #10 team in the country and that would have a much more significant effect. I am not that big of a conspiracy theorist.

As you can see if a couple of computers swing to Auburn things get close VERY quick, and it would only take a couple of votes if the computers all swing. I don't know the algorithms for the other services so I really cannot predict if they would swing, but Auburn passing OSU is possible, but I think EXTREMELY unlikely. Besides, I honestly think MIZZOU houses Auburn this week and they have 0% chance of passing OSU regardless of what the 4 letter network says.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:32 pm

jb wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:JB, what if the mouse steals the cheese and the BSC still fucks us over by blowing the Tiger while the submissive Native American jerks off and weeps quietly in the corner?

Well the voters don't seem to be ignoring a century of precedent as I thought they wouldn't. Remember the coaches poll is political and it's Urbs vs some come lately Scrumpty Dump. And they know it is as I wrote. Today OSU tomorrow them.

If it happened it'd be a pyrrhic sec victory. I'd give the BCS a year or 2 more max.

They killed their brand. The bowls are meaningless now. The $ are in the NCAAs sites. All they need is a lit fuse. I don't see it happening.

It is good to hear other fans whine & cry tho. I don't have to be embarrassed now.

Main thing is beating Sparty & not going 97.

Then it's "be careful what you ask for. FSU puts me more in mind of 96 than 02. This D ain't got it. Bucks need to get lucky via the criminal justice system.

lol.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:52 pm

Auburn lost to a hilariously overrated LSU team. If LSU and Wisco played, Wisco would win by double digits.

I'm supposed to be afraid of FSU? AHAHHAAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHA *breath* HAHAHHHAAHHAHA!

Their schedule is no more impressive than ours.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:03 pm

Yeah, but their wins were so much more "style pointy!"

FSU has a fine team, but I am not ascared. Honestly though, I was hoping for 'Bama because they are not that damn good this year. Honestly, OSU would roll the 'Barn. Mizzou is a much more difficult matchup, but I think OSU could win that game too.

This is a year of flawed teams, and our team is no more flawed than those other teams. OSU's O can score (alot) on anyone and if Miller is actually on target they score 50+.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:33 pm

Take away MSU's ability to run the ball and force them to beat us with the pass. I think our DLine can manage that.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:45 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Take away MSU's ability to run the ball and force them to beat us with the pass. I think our DLine can manage that.

MSU runs the ball pretty well. I like the matchup better than the spread teams as MSU's O is alot more like Iowa's or PSU which actually fits OSU's D much better. MSU's running game is a lot more inside power, similar to Wisco too. The thing that bothers me a little is that OSU's preferred DL is a little light in the middle and Washington has not been a big playmaker at 3Tech.

OSU needs to finish all the negative plays this week that they missed last week.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:54 pm

I just listened to a great breakdown by Brad Edwards (one of the few guys at ESPN that is worth a shit). He said yesterday that Auburn could pass OSU (apparently, I wasn't listening). I read that. In any case, I supposed that the reason for that was because Auburn was close enough to OSU to pass them in the Computers.

Edwards said this morning that he needed to retract that statement because he HAD NOT seen the computer poll numbers and didn't realize how large the margins between OSU and Auburn were in the computer polls and that Auburn basically has no shot at catching OSU in the computers and therefore has ZERO shot at catching OSU.

He went on to say that Auburn would not only have to catch OSU in the Harris and Coaches polls, but would have to establish a comfortable margin in order to pass them. You would basically have to reverse their scores not just their positions in the coaches' and Harris' polls. In order to do that, it would take a significant conspiracy... seriously.

So it is official. OSU controls their own destiny completely.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:38 am

The idea of a one loss team potentially passing a undefeated team makes me want to punch a baby panda.

Glad that's all sorted. I have faith that if we beat MSU, Urban & Co. would have more than enough time to game plan for FSU. Urban is one of the best at this too.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:27 am

Put down the SOS. Put down feeling ur oats. Just hit rewind & watch what Gardner & Gallon did to us. The caliber of offensive athlete FSU has is on a whole nother plain.

They may literally score every drive.

This just in: our defense sucks.

Yeah, we'll score too but....
jb

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:29 am

I think it's interesting that this years BCS is pretty straight forward: FSU & OSU win, they're in. If one loses the SEC CG winner takes their place [Sparty and Okie State with complaints, but the SEC SOS & Perception is gonna trump.] It only gets real ugly if both are to lose.

However, if this were next year, and 4 teams get in. It's a bit trickier. The way I see it, at this point, there are 5 teams with legit stakes to be included:
FSU
SEC CG Winner
B1G CG Winner
PAC 10 CG Winner
Okie State.

I think the committee would be pulling hard for an Oklahoma State loss to make their job easy, otherwise it'd be interesting to see if they'd keep the PAC 10 winner out based on 2 losses, or give them credit for winning the toughest conference and let them in at the expense of a 1 loss conf champion.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick

Unread postby fairvis » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:01 am

Sea Foam Green wrote:I think the committee would be pulling hard for an Oklahoma State loss to make their job easy, otherwise it'd be interesting to see if they'd keep the PAC 10 winner out based on 2 losses, or give them credit for winning the toughest conference and let them in at the expense of a 1 loss conf champion.

There'd be a lot of smoke to get Bama selected as well. That would certainly be a fascinating argument- to select the 1-loss (freak loss as well) Alabama over the Big XII champ 1-loss OK State would take some doing, especially if OK State knocks out OU this weekend. As far as Stanford over OK State, I don't think that would happen even with the committee trying to figure those things out.

If both Ohio State and Florida State lose this weekend, things get really ugly really quickly (especially if Mizzou beats Auburn). I really think there would be a lot of blowback against an all-SEC title game again... and we could certainly see Oklahoma State come back into the picture against Mizzou (god, what a terrible title game).

Although, we'd all know that we'd see 'Bama vs Mizzou in the game, 'Bama would win, and people would cheer "SEC,SEC,SEC" for a team that didn't even win its division again.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:43 am

So, the Buckeyes are a solid #2 in the BCS. Just like Marcus Hall predicted on his way out of the stadium.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:48 pm

As this season has progressed, and after this weekend and reading all sorts of different articles and PsOV I am thoroughly convinced CFB in general is arguably as biased and corrupt as any single other sport in this country. Every single fan base is the same when it comes to objectivity, and degrees of hypocrisy (at least about on what transpires on the field), regional honks are all the same with their bias'. If it weren't for the actual on the field action, and the overall excitement a CFB brings it wouldn't be worth watching at all.

I really don't think anything will change until the sport is rid of old money, old boys club and a playoff format that is run off of 4 super conferences and 16 teams are eligible.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Beat MSU then shove that flaming spear right up Chief RC Cola's ass.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena