Text Size

College Sports Arena

Does an undefeated OSU team make the NCG?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Does an undefeated OSU team make the NCG?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:21 am

Faylor.

Said months ago these things work themselves out one way or other with the undefeated teams.

It's still coming.

Through indictments/charges, an upset, or the Buckeyes slipping in one of the next two.

But it will work itself out.

And I agree with JB, no one does martydom like college football fan. To think it's exclusive to here is as ignorant as believing it doesn't apply here.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:46 pm

Well I read your take peeker as there's hypocrites in this room? If that's what you imply I disagree, simply b/c I have not seen one person here claim OSU is the best team in the country or deserves to be ranked higher than 3.

For me, my issue for the past 5-6 weeks is why there is much talk if any about another program jumping the Buckeyes while all they've done is go undefeated and do so with as impressive an offense as anyone us in the country. The schedule claims of differences have pretty much been "debunked" and worked themselves out as you mention. Bama and FSU deserve 1 & 2 (FSU rightfully jumped ahead of OSU throughout the season) and the right to face each other for an NC. IMO FSU without JW doesn't discredit what they done to that point for the season. If they win out w/o JW IMO they deserve their shot, if voters feel otherwise fine, but that brings controversy IMO. If either Bama or FSU loses before season's end the Buckeyes do deserve to move up a spot, if that means the same onus falls on them so beat it.

As always has and always will be (until they change it), preseason rankings are a major problem with CFB. Just look at the preseason rankings for this season and look at the rankings and teams now. IMO week 2 or 3 should be the first vote for any pollsters.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:05 pm

FUDU wrote:Well I read your take peeker as there's hypocrites in this room? If that's what you imply I disagree, simply b/c I have not seen one person here claim OSU is the best team in the country or deserves to be ranked higher than 3.

For me, my issue for the past 5-6 weeks is why there is much talk if any about another program jumping the Buckeyes while all they've done is go undefeated and do so with as impressive an offense as anyone us in the country. The schedule claims of differences have pretty much been "debunked" and worked themselves out as you mention. Bama and FSU deserve 1 & 2 (FSU rightfully jumped ahead of OSU throughout the season) and the right to face each other for an NC. IMO FSU without JW doesn't discredit what they done to that point for the season. If they win out w/o JW IMO they deserve their shot, if voters feel otherwise fine, but that brings controversy IMO. If either Bama or FSU loses before season's end the Buckeyes do deserve to move up a spot, if that means the same onus falls on them so beat it.

As always has and always will be (until they change it), preseason rankings are a major problem with CFB. Just look at the preseason rankings for this season and look at the rankings and teams now. IMO week 2 or 3 should be the first vote for any pollsters.

Well, there may be hypocrites in the room but that ain't the point.

The point is Major College football fan is always gonna be convinced the deck and the media are stacked against them. If you don't think it's true in places outside Columbus then you're naive and nuts.

And in response to that here I'll await the inevitable, "But look how skewed the bias is against the Buckeyes". That's coming. And it still doesn't mean it ain't the same elsewhere.

It happens everywhere with every major college fan base for one reason or another. Some perceived slight or disrespect or some asshole like Mark May or some ESPN headline.

Buckeye fan has it no worse than anyone else in any given year. But all fans act like they do and that they're being oppressed and singled out.

They ain't.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:03 pm

Gotcha.

While I do question the media/voters issues with the Buckeyes this year, I have mentioned that it isn't a world ending conspiracy, considering they ranked us #2 going in, full well knowing our schedule and conference mehness ahead of time.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:05 pm

peeker643 wrote:
FUDU wrote:Well I read your take peeker as there's hypocrites in this room? If that's what you imply I disagree, simply b/c I have not seen one person here claim OSU is the best team in the country or deserves to be ranked higher than 3.

Well, there may be hypocrites in the room but that ain't the point.

The point is Major College football fan is always gonna be convinced the deck and the media are stacked against them. If you don't think it's true in places outside Columbus then you're naive and nuts.

And in response to that here I'll await the inevitable, "But look how skewed the bias is against the Buckeyes". That's coming. And it still doesn't mean it ain't the same elsewhere.

It happens everywhere with every major college fan base for one reason or another. Some perceived slight or disrespect or some asshole like Mark May or some ESPN headline.

Buckeye fan has it no worse than anyone else in any given year. But all fans act like they do and that they're being oppressed and singled out.

They ain't.

I completely disagree with you Brian. I agree with the fact that all fans, to some extent say they are disrespected, but this year's campaign against OSU has been insane. Either you believe that Oregon, Stanford, Clemson, FSU and Baylor are better than OSU or there is a media campaign against OSU, you cannot have it both ways. As perdicted you are already hearing the question, can a one loss Auburn team jump an undefeated Ohio State team if they beat 'Bama.

Explain to me how you can justify writing that "OSU survives" after jumping out ahead of Illinois 28-0 and winning 60-35? That is not even close to surviving. The fact that they CHANGED the headline to that proves that it was intentional. The initial headline was something like "OSU blows by Illinois on Hyde" or something like that. Show me how they have done that to other teams? They are clearly and deliberately spinning a story. My prediction is that the story changes this week and OSU is actually on the benefactor side. Honestly, I thought OSU was much more impressive last week, but that is not the story ESPN wanted to tell. Now that Baylor has lost and there is very little intrigue remaining, it is OK for OSU to cruise in a game in which they were worse.

I also disagree with FUDU that FSU or 'Bama has clearly shown that they deserve their spot. The weakness of FSU's schedule is beginning to show as well, and there is a certain point where a blowout is a blowout whether it is by 27 or 72. At some point the scrubs come in and they give up points or they score points, but in the end Ohio State has won by big margins. They have had a couple of close games, but I don't see anyone on their schedule that is better than Wisco or MSU. I think we are going to see in the bowl season that the B1G is much better than people are giving it credit for and that the SEC is not as great as we thought.

I was as guilty as anyone else in the early season of piling-on on the B1G, time and change are showing that it isn't as horribly abysmal as everyone thought.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:11 pm

I also disagree with the notion that if you take Winston off of FSU and they win out they should hold their spot. They should only be considered to be as good a team If and only if his backup (3rd string) is as good as Winston. He is a HUGE part of that team's success, that is why he should win the Heisman this year. If you pull a Heisman winner off a team, they are not as good. If they are not as good, they should not be ranked as highly unless you still believe that a Winston-less FSU is better than OSU.

Would you take FSU (without Winston) over OSU on a neutral field? I mean their freshman back up is 13-21 for 116 yards this season, so I could see why everyone would believe that. Granted he was 9-14 for 84 against Idaho yesterday, so that makes him 4-8 for 32 yards against teams that are not 1-10 this year.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:12 pm

Furls you hit on a very good point I wanted to mention yesterday. The 50pt blowout v. the 30pt blowout. In both cases many times 2nd 3rd string comes in. Interestingly enough in the past few weeks how many 2nd 3rd stringers have come in late for OSU? I ask b/c I am not confident I know for sure, but my instinct and memory tell me not that many. We've had to win with style points to try to "hang on" to our 3 ranking. I'm pretty sure Urban would love to play some more inexperienced guys, esp on D, once he is up 5 TDs in the middle to late 3rd.

RE: FSU and schedule, we don't totally disagree, but they have looked much more balanced as a team than the Buckeyes and to me that is what has separated them in the polls and voters mind along with some of the contrived schedule crap. FSU's D has looked way better than our more often this year, credit to the Noles for that.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:19 pm

I'll give you they look better on D, but I am not sure they look good enough to stop OSU with any consistency. I also don't think OSU stops FSU with any consistency either. Personally, I think that game comes down to turnovers and who scores TDs vs. FGs.

Take Winston out of the game, and I think OSU wins fairly easily. FSU has a nice running game, but not one that will destroy the OSU D by itself. They will need something in the passing game. Something more than a freshman QB with 0 career starts and 21 career attempts.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:19 pm

furls wrote:I also disagree with the notion that if you take Winston off of FSU and they win out they should hold their spot. They should only be considered to be as good a team If and only if his backup (3rd string) is as good as Winston. He is a HUGE part of that team's success, that is why he should win the Heisman this year. If you pull a Heisman winner off a team, they are not as good. If they are not as good, they should not be ranked as highly unless you still believe that a Winston-less FSU is better than OSU.

Say JW doesn't see the field again this season, does that negate their 11-0 accomplishments to date? Only two other teams have equaled that. Now if they truly squeak by Florida and the voters punish them for it, OK, it seems consistent with how the Buckeyes have been "treated", but they still won and would be 12-0. I just have a hard time taking poll rankings and extending them too far into the futur. Do I think this Buckeye team is better or beats a JWless FSU team, yeah pretty much. But polls came out post performances, with exception to the horrible preseason poll.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:21 pm

FUDU wrote:Furls you hit on a very good point I wanted to mention yesterday. The 50pt blowout v. the 30pt blowout. In both cases many times 2nd 3rd string comes in. Interestingly enough in the past few weeks how many 2nd 3rd stringers have come in late for OSU? I ask b/c I am not confident I know for sure, but my instinct and memory tell me not that many. We've had to win with style points to try to "hang on" to our 3 ranking. I'm pretty sure Urban would love to play some more inexperienced guys, esp on D, once he is up 5 TDs in the middle to late 3rd.

RE: FSU and schedule, we don't totally disagree, but they have looked much more balanced as a team than the Buckeyes and to me that is what has separated them in the polls and voters mind along with some of the contrived schedule crap. FSU's D has looked way better than our more often this year, credit to the Noles for that.

As for reserve time, it has gone down considerably since the Purdue game. The Illinois game featured reserves as starters at LB (and that is a big part of the reason for the letdown on D). There is no LB depth. The IU game featured very little reserve play, although we did see Cam Burrows first real time on the field. He looked pretty damn good too. He is not the guy I saw as a starter next year, but I could see it now. I still think he moves to FS/SS but we saw yesterday that CB is a real possibility.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:22 pm

LOL

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:27 pm

FUDU wrote:
furls wrote:I also disagree with the notion that if you take Winston off of FSU and they win out they should hold their spot. They should only be considered to be as good a team If and only if his backup (3rd string) is as good as Winston. He is a HUGE part of that team's success, that is why he should win the Heisman this year. If you pull a Heisman winner off a team, they are not as good. If they are not as good, they should not be ranked as highly unless you still believe that a Winston-less FSU is better than OSU.

Say JW doesn't see the field again this season, does that negate their 11-0 accomplishments to date? Only two other teams have equaled that. Now if they truly squeak by Florida and the voters punish them for it, OK, it seems consistent with how the Buckeyes have been "treated", but they still won and would be 12-0. I just have a hard time taking poll rankings and extending them too far into the futur. Do I think this Buckeye team is better or beats a JWless FSU team, yeah pretty much. But polls came out post performances, with exception to the horrible preseason poll.

That comes down to what do you philosophically think the purpose of a poll is. Let's say a team makes a change at RB in week 6 and finds the next Barry Sanders, should they be ranked as though they were still using the same old RB that got passed on the DC? To me the answer is no, now if that team lost all 6 of its games, should it be ranked #1 now? Again, I think the answer is no.

In this case we are talking about a Barry Sanders level player leaving a team. If a team has been carried by a Barry Sanders type player and that player is gone and there are also close substitutes I think it is perfectly reasonable that you would swap the teams. This begs the question, "What if it was Miller?" Well we have seen that Guiton can get it done without Brax but he is not as good as Brax therefore, it was close I would go switch. If it was Hyde, OSU has already proven that they can move the ball in ways aside from Hyde. FSU, is extremely reliant on JW, and frankly, there is no way that a JW-less FSU is the second best team in the country.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:38 pm

I read a great post on another website... I wish I could take credit for this:

"So let me get this straight, FSU has a big CCG coming up against Duke (in football), but our conference is the one that sucks?"

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Yeah, yeah, yeah.. we get it, you're stoic and objective (LOL), and only people who think like that can possibly have their finger on the pulse of CFB.

Seriously, go suck on the tailpipe of running 72 Cadillac.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:49 pm

Why a 72, why not an 83?

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:52 pm

Emissions, fool.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:53 pm

Because 72's could still burn leaded gas!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:56 pm

Would you take FSU (without Winston) over OSU on a neutral field? I mean their freshman back up is 13-21 for 116 yards this season, so I could see why everyone would believe that. Granted he was 9-14 for 84 against Idaho yesterday, so that makes him 4-8 for 32 yards against teams that are not 1-10 this year.

We will only get to see said backup in one game, so we (and the voters) may not get enough data to say either 'yes, this team is markedly worse now' or 'this team is still good enough to beat Ohio State'.

Personally, I'm going to assume status quo unless someone loses.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:59 pm

No exclamation points. No emotions. Let the objectivity flow over you like a river of sacred knowledge and smugness.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:03 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Emissions, fool.

B/C emission controls will keep him from dying while sucking a tailpipe? Tool. Why not hope he gets electrocuted from plugging in a Volt.

If we're wishing harm on the guy there's a better chance if we wish him to fall out of a deer stand and have to crawl to safety only to be eaten by other wildlife.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:18 pm

FUDU wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Emissions, fool.

B/C emission controls will keep him from dying while sucking a tailpipe? Tool. Why not hope he gets electrocuted from plugging in a Volt.

If we're wishing harm on the guy there's a better chance if we wish him to fall out of a deer stand and have to crawl to safety only to be eaten by other wildlife.

Who is "he"? My statement was extremely broad and singled out no one.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:34 pm

You're not talking about peeker?

Huh.

Happy hunting peeker, just forget the aforementioned.

FUDU

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:41 pm

If Clemson gets rolled in Columbia, SC this weekend by a rather average USCe team this could really help to change the perception of FSU's schedule and strength. I personally think that USC beats them by at least 2 touchdowns.

If that happens, if OSU rolls over Michigan, beats MSU and if Winston is suspended then we may have a chance to jump FSU. I personally still think our best chance is Alabama losing one of their final 2.

I think 50/50 we make the NCG at this point.

I also think the MSU CCG will be a very good/tough game. This will really be a good game to judge how good our offense is. I think we can score on anyone and this will be a great indicator whether that is true or not.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:47 pm

Up to date BCS has us closer to FSU than Auburn is to us, interesting.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:34 pm

The big move was caused by OSU's "jump" in the computers. The jump wasn't really a jump as it was staying put while other around you fall. Last week OSU was behind both Oregon and Baylor in the computers, now they are firmly entrenched at three in all the computers. They did also gain some ground relative to 'Bama and FSU in the Harris and Coaches poll, but that was more about getting the #2 and 3 votes that Baylor/Oregon were getting.

So it isn't as much OSU moving up and gaining on FSU as much as it is OSU consolidating its hold on #3 now that the other riff raff is gone. As long as they win out they are locked in at 3 and will pass anyone ahead of them.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:22 pm

I'm not a BCS computer ranking expert but I also wonder how much San Diego State's win over Boise State, Wisconsin and Iowa's wins also are contributing to our improvement in the computer polls?

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby fairvis » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:34 am

The fact that our opponents keep winning helps us greatly. Ohio State's schedule gets harder at the end of the year as well.

The Colley Matrix allows you to add/remove games at will, which allows for some differing scenarios (http://www.colleyrankings.com/playgod.html).

If everyone wins out, Ohio State will take the #2 ranking in the Colley Matrix after beating Michigan State. The SEC Championship Game winner will be #1 if it's Alabama, Mizzou, or Auburn (but not South Carolina).

So what would work out with the least controversy? Alabama beats Auburn, Mizzou loses to TAMU, and South Carolina beats Alabama with OSU and FSU winning out. Then Ohio State would be #1 in the computers, and FSU #2, with USCe #3. That's the scenario to go for...
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby fairvis » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:40 am

And that would be with South Carolina beating Clemson this week. If Clemson wins, then FSU stays above us (and also says something about the ACC strength...)
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:36 am

fairvis wrote:The fact that our opponents keep winning helps us greatly. Ohio State's schedule gets harder at the end of the year as well.

The Colley Matrix allows you to add/remove games at will, which allows for some differing scenarios (http://www.colleyrankings.com/playgod.html).

If everyone wins out, Ohio State will take the #2 ranking in the Colley Matrix after beating Michigan State. The SEC Championship Game winner will be #1 if it's Alabama, Mizzou, or Auburn (but not South Carolina).

So what would work out with the least controversy? Alabama beats Auburn, Mizzou loses to TAMU, and South Carolina beats Alabama with OSU and FSU winning out. Then Ohio State would be #1 in the computers, and FSU #2, with USCe #3. That's the scenario to go for...

So the plan is to hope for the team that lost to Tennessee and has narrow margins of victory over Florida, Central Florida and Kentucky to all of a sudden become world beaters? That seems unlikely to me.

I actually think it's better if USCe loses. If Mizzou and SC lose next week [both likely in my opinion] then you've got a very Meh SEC CG with a 3 loss SC team coming in off a loss.

The ACC CG is Meh no matter what, but would be Meh-i-er if Duke lost to UNC. They are a still a two loss team on paper. Best case scenario would be for FSU to re-play Miami, as that's a no win for them, but that requires UVA winning a game which is unlikely to happen.

Combine the 2 above with a pair of 2 loss teams meeting in the PAC CG, and if MSU can climb into the top 10, the B1G championship games becomes the best matchup of the day by far.

If OSU can roll MSU in that game, with everyone watching, it may cause the voters to go back and re-evaluate the free pass they gave FSU after the Clemson game.

It's a beauty contest, so the best route is to get some eyes on OSU when they're looking their best.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:33 pm

Shit works itself out, doesn't it boys?

But I eagerly await next year's week 3 angst ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:35 pm

peeker643 wrote:FUDU is a genius, nuff said

This ^

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:48 pm

So it begins.

Sorry, an Aubrun win of that stature doesn't warrant jumping OSU, it just doesn't. It warrants historical notice of a great game, that's it. FSU #1, OSU # 2.

End

Of

Story

FUDU

Unread postby dpdad » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:53 pm

WOW. OSU-UM, Alabama-Auburn. Two of the best games that I have seen in a long time.

FSU-OSU title game could be a reality.
dpdad

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:00 pm

FUDU wrote:So it begins.

Sorry, an Aubrun win of that stature doesn't warrant jumping OSU, it just doesn't. It warrants historical notice of a great game, that's it. FSU #1, OSU # 2.

End

Of

Story

Yeah and the aholes are throwing out Missouri as one loss team with a legitimate claim to the # 2 spot this week. Unfucking believable.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:18 pm

peeker643 wrote:Shit works itself out, doesn't it boys?

I agree that we now have 2 undefeated teams, but that doesn't mean anything is resolved. Stand by the for the media push for Auburn/Mizzou. I know I sound like a delusional homer, but it is already starting on the 4 letter network and it is going to be all they talk about this week.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:29 pm

Will voters even remotely remember a freakish hail mary and an even more rare missed FG returned for a game ending TD.

Prolly not.

The biggest injustice of this season might not have anything to do with JW and FSU after all.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:50 pm

You're not jumping an undefeated OSU team this week. If they look like shit again next week? Maybe. But it ain't happening this week. The mouths can roar all they like.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby The Score » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:57 pm

It's all silly at this point.

Auburn beat Alabama, they should be #2... Then if Mizzou beats Auburn, well they beat Auburn who beat Alabama so they should be #2.
The Score

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:06 pm

furls wrote:

I agree that we now have 2 undefeated teams, but that doesn't mean anything is resolved. Stand by the for the media push for Auburn/Mizzou. I know I sound like a delusional homer, but it is already starting on the 4 letter network and it is going to be all they talk about this week.

Tim "Cocksucking SEC Shill" Brando started at HALFTIME of the Bama-Auburn game. It's not just über doosh Mark May and assclowns like Skip Bayless. It will be everyone.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:08 pm

The Score wrote:It's all silly at this point.

Auburn beat Alabama, they should be #2... Then if Mizzou beats Auburn, well they beat Auburn who beat Alabama so they should be #2.

The only thing silly is your stupid as shit post.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:25 pm

The Score wrote:It's all silly at this point.

but wait a minute... didn't LSU beat Auburn earlier this year? Then shouldn't LSU be #2, but 'Bama beat LSU therefore Bama should be #2, but they just lost to Auburn.

But wait a minute, what if Mizzou beats aTm then goes on to beat Auburn... then Mizzou should be #2 but where does that put USC(e) who beat Mizzou a few weeks ago?

I've been saying it for about 7 weeks now, the SEC is not that great this year. They are living off the reputations of SEC's past.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:30 pm

An interesting note on this "multiple undefeated teams" deal.

Predictionmachine - a source that simulates games and thus seasons 50,000 times, with a program that has been very accurate the last several years had the odds of teams remaining unbeaten. The week before Oregon lost their first game the odds of OSU, Oregon, Ala and Fla St. all being unbeaten was 3.6%. The odds LAST WEEK of having the three remaining remain undeafeated was still only 27%.

These things work themselves out in regard to unbeatens.

Also tells you how hard it is to go undefeated.

And I do not believe OSU gets passed on a two year unbeaten run.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:47 pm

Golden Nuggett had Fla St. -6.5 over the Bucks in the NC game.

Johnny Avello at the Wynn says he would make OSU -3 over Auburn on a neutral. Jay Kornegay at the Hilton would hang OSU -1.5 over Auburn.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:31 am

Hahaha The Bristol Bull Shit machine already pumping up either Auburn or Mizzou "battling" with tOSU to play FSU.

:fu:
Last edited by jb on Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:33 am

leadpipe wrote:An interesting note on this "multiple undefeated teams" deal.

Predictionmachine - a source that simulates games and thus seasons 50,000 times, with a program that has been very accurate the last several years had the odds of teams remaining unbeaten. The week before Oregon lost their first game the odds of OSU, Oregon, Ala and Fla St. all being unbeaten was 3.6%. The odds LAST WEEK of having the three remaining remain undeafeated was still only 27%.

If we all knew these things work themselves out then why..... Oh never mind.

O H !!!
jb

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:35 am

mattvan1 wrote:
furls wrote:

Tim "Cocksucking SEC Shill" Brando started at HALFTIME of the Bama-Auburn game. It's not just über doosh Mark May and assclowns like Skip Bayless. It will be everyone.

Not

Gonna

Happen.

Else just make the SEC CG the play in game.
jb

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:38 am

peeker643 wrote:You're not jumping an undefeated OSU team this week. If they look like shit again next week? Maybe. But it ain't happening this week. The mouths can roar all they like.

This. And Sparty is 11. Not a joke game like Duke.

A 1 point win gets it done. It's all about, um, the D not blowing moose schlong two weeks in a row. Much better matchup BTW.
jb

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:18 am

furls wrote:I've been saying it for about 7 weeks now, the SEC is not that great this year. They are living off the reputations of SEC's past.

Personally, I'd like to see them get the chance to prove it.

If Jameis is charged and OSU beats MSU, make it OSU vs. SEC, whether it's Auburn or Mizzou. Rewind to 2006, but this time Urban is on your side.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:33 am

For fucks sake Auburn beat their last two opponents on the most improbable plays in history, they deserve nothing more than to suck the cock of the undefeated teams ahead of them.

Suck it Auburn.

Suck it. Suck it, and suck it.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:52 am

leadpipe wrote:An interesting note on this "multiple undefeated teams" deal.

I had similar numbers, I stopped running my sheet a few weeks ago. On OCT 12, before the Oregon loss, I had those odds at 3.87%, and I had the odds of any 2 of the other teams winning out (effectively locking OSU out) at 27.09%. At that time, Auburn was not considered a particularly good team and really Mizzou wasn't either, so my 'Bama odds were WAY inflated. Easy to say in retrospect, but I basically had Auburn and Mizzou listed as near walkovers. Had I been more accurate in predicting the difficulty of those games the odds would have been 2.34% for all winning out and 20.81% for 3 undefeated including OSU.

These things work out, except when they don't, which based on my guesses for the year was going to be 1:4 or 1:5.

It would take a pretty vast conspiracy to get Auburn or FSU in over OSU and quite a marketing campaign. The difference in story between the 4 letter agency and FS1 yesterday was pretty stunning. ESPiN spent a significant amount of time talking about 'Barn or Mizzou jumping OSU, whereas FS1 basically said that if one of those teams jumps OSU now, that they should just change the rules to guarantee an SEC team birth in the championship game.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena