Text Size

College Sports Arena

Shazier Having an ALL TIME OSU LB Season

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Shazier Having an ALL TIME OSU LB Season

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:15 pm

We knew he was having a good year, but I don't think we realized how good. Here are his updated stats after todays 20 tackle performance:

108 Tackles. 19.5 TFL. 5.5 Sacks.

To put those numbers in perspective here are some of the best seasons by some pretty famous OSU LBs:

Katzenmoyer 1996: 85 Tackles. 23 TFL. 12 Sacks.
Laurinaitis 2008: 130 Tackles. 7 TFL. 4 Sacks.
Hawk 2005: 121 Tackles. 16.5 TFL. 9.5 Sacks.

These guys played before CCG, so they would have only played 13 game seasons (including Bowls, maybe even 11 for Katzenmoyer). Shazier's final numbers after a 14 game season will be ridiculous.

He is on pace for about 140 Tackles, 25 TFL and 7 Sacks. I think the sack number will be higher as they are blitzing him a lot more now.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Shazier Having an ALL TIME OSU LB Season

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:28 pm

Yes very good season in terms of production and making plays. I will say this to add caution, it is obvious this conference isn't what it was even 4 years ago. So not to take anything away from Shazier b/c he can only play against who is across the field, but the competition compared to those mentioned is at least a point of debate, even if only a slight point.

Also of note, the Buckeyes accomplished a lot today, all time win streak for the program, most points scored by the program, and our first CCG appearance. Also in case you didn't know, I didn't, and looked b/c of the FSU score I saw (they put up 80), with all the talk of everyone else, the Buckeyes offense has out gained FSUs for the season.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:56 pm

Big Kat was dumb as hell and hardwired to wreak havoc on the football field. Maybe the best pure instinct LB I've seen play at OSU. Mizzou QB still thinks Clinton is President.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:04 pm

My fav. was Hawk, was just everywhere all the time, and he made Vince Young his bitch, along with Brady Quinn's horse faced sister.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to College Sports Arena