Text Size

College Sports Arena

Does an undefeated OSU team make the NCG?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Does an undefeated OSU team make the NCG?

Unread postby jb » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:14 pm

bac5665 wrote:On SI, Mandel was saying that while there is bias, the computers are still down on us. Fuels, or anyone else, is there any reasonable way to argue against the computers? I see it as pretty unlikely that Baylor would be better than us in the computers, but if it is, that's pretty damning for us.

Well, we know BU has a worse SOS in Sagarin. That's a fact.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:06 pm

If Baylor does have an advantage in the computers it will not be that big. The SOS differential is not that big between OSU and Baylor.

Right now Baylor leads in the computers .870 to .850. OSU is 5th in computers, Baylor is 3 (tied with Auburn). Ohio State may make up some ground with scUM and MSU at the end of the year, who knows. OSU and Baylor's closing schedules are going to be REMARKABLY similar.

Baylor closes with OK. State (#10 one loss team), TCU (4-7),Texas (7-3).

-Ok. State is basically a push with an MSU team that should be about #10 by the end of the year.
-TCU (4-7) is a push with OSU's game against Indiana (4-6)
-Texas (7-3) is a push with scUM (7-3)

I don't expect much computer movement to close out the year, the real push will be with the coaches poll and the Harris Poll. OSU has proved to be a bit more resilient with those polls than the AP, but they have to win decisively to finish the year in order to help prevent a certain 4 letter company from shaping the narrative against them.

OSU is 3 in both the Coaches and Harris by a decent (not large) margin.

Honestly, Gun to my head... I like Oklahoma State to beat Baylor in Stillwater this week anyways.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:06 pm

How the HELL did THAT Michigan team get to 7-3?

That right there might be the worst indictment of the Big 10.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby furls » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Fortunate scheduling for scUM too... they missed Wisco who would have certainly put them in a poster. NW went out of their way to lose that game last week.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:15 pm

They did get 4 gimmes in their non con schedule, they are only 3-3 against the B1G and honestly should've lost last week too. They will lose this week to Iowa and next week to OSU for a 3-5 conference finish. That seems about right.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:26 pm

furls wrote:They did get 4 gimmes in their non con schedule, they are only 3-3 against the B1G and honestly should've lost last week too. They will lose this week to Iowa and next week to OSU for a 3-5 conference finish. That seems about right.

I'm confused about scUM. They were a mess when they hired Hoke and he was hailed as a savior who was the right guy to bring them back to the elite. By most reports he was recruiting well. And then this year it all changes to Hoke being a terrible hire who needs to get run out of town.

How does it change that fast for a guy?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby furls » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:34 pm

Look at the Hoke tenure....

-He relieved a bad cultural fit so everyone loved him from day one up North.
-He won a lot of games in his first year due a perfect storm of luck (OSU strife, VaTech bowl match up).
-He recruited (and still recruits) well, providing lots of February recruiting championships.
-His team's defense showed immediate improvement (how could it not).

That is the good... all of it.

-Each year, his record has gotten worse.
-His offense is unwatchable and not improving
-His "old school" practices like not wearing a headset were initially endearing when things were going well. Now that they are not it is becoming a frustrating reminder that he is not really calling many of the shots.
-His superstar recruiting classes are not producing, drawing into question the staff's ability to develop talent.
-I think he is falling victim to lazy recruiting. He jumped all over 5* RB Derrick Green, who looked like he was going to be a world beater after his Sophomore year. The really adept coaches cooled on him universally after his junior year. Most notably OSU and 'Bama. OSU dropped Green and went after an unknown back, Zeke Elliot who is now #2 on the DC as a true freshman. There are other examples of this in his 2013 class.... Taco Charlton, Shane Morris, LTT to name a few off the top of my head. Seriously, there are only about 3 guys in that entire (overrated) class I would even want in S&G and only one that I would trade recruits for (Dymonte Thomas).
-Hoke said he was going to return scUM to traditional B1G football which at first got the fans excited, until they saw OSU, NW, and IU's offenses. They are now realizing that Borges and Hoke are installing a predictable antiquated offense.
-His team is soft now. They talk a big game but get bullied by an physical team they play. Watch what OSU's OL does to them.
-There are rumors that his players are losing confidence.
-scUM fans are now realizing that their team is at LEAST 3 years from having a shot at OSU and probably about the same timeframe from having a shot at beating MSU too.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:36 pm

Just to demonstrate how far scUM has fallen, their fans are now basically writing off OSU and MSU games next year because they are on the road. Think about that for a second, their fans really think it is OK for scUM to lose to OSU next year because it is in the 'Shoe.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:25 pm

Ponder this....

With Oregon losing if Baylor loses tonight, guess who is back in the top 5? That overrated Clemson team.

There is going to be a lot of movement behind OSU in the next week, should Baylor lose the next #4 team that should jump OSU will be Auburn. It will sound something like this:

"If Auburn beats 'Bama do they deserve to jump OSU?" says D-bag 1.

D-bag2 says, "Well that would be the most impressive win, so yeah I think there is something to that. I mean who has Ohio State played this year? They keep "surviving" by 4 scores against all these bad B1G teams, and Auburn will have had to have beaten a very tough South Carolina team (that barely survived against this week's disgraced FL team) in the SEC championship game."

Get ready for it, it is coming.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:29 pm

I think Auburn is too unbalanced on offense to beat Bama.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:35 pm

I tend to agree with you. I don't think it is impossible, just unlikely. That said, this is a vulnerable bama team. I think Auburn is about 25% likely to win at home.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:43 pm

The good thing is that MSU should be able to move up into the top 10 this week. Although we'll see how far the pollsters drop Oregon- but they should go down to #15 or so after that beating.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:36 pm

OK St forced that early risky 4th down attempt, big mistake to give Baylor a short field. Meanwhile OKST should have picked 2-3 passes already. Baylor shooting themselves in the foot with two red zone fumbles.

Very high tense game for both teams right now.

Both teams lucky to hot have fallen down a TD early.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Kenny G is better than both of these bums.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:50 pm

OKST defenders really getting their arms up in those passing lanes, very noticeable so far. OKST faster than I expected too.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:36 pm

Baylor could never hope to stop our Oline, Hyde would just smash them.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Re: Does an undefeatedU team make the?

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:44 pm

One thing that annoys me is how they are saying this OSU(w) defense is awesome, and I will admit they are playing well, but isn't it possible, just a little bit, that Baylor is not quite as good as you thought? This is BAYLOR.

Ok. State is a pretty good team, I am not sold on Baylor. They have a good O and are better on D than people give them credit for, but are we really supposed to believe that they are a national title contender?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:54 pm

...and how big is that stumble by Petty, when it happened everyone and their brother assumed a TD was soon to follow, at MINIMUM 3 pts. But nothing due to the ensuing fumble. Stumbling and fumbling might be the end of Baylor's season?

FUDU

Re: Does an undefeatedU team make the?

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:06 pm

furls wrote:One thing that annoys me is how they are saying this OSU(w) defense is awesome, and I will admit they are playing well, but isn't it possible, just a little bit, that Baylor is not quite as good as you thought? This is BAYLOR.

Ok. State is a pretty good team, I am not sold on Baylor. They have a good O and are better on D than people give them credit for, but are we really supposed to believe that they are a national title contender?

This is really a gist of things, in analyzing the teams on the field. It brings to light the often extreme subjective nature, based on a few things. Historic views of conf, programs, etc. OSU's game against Buffalo was obviously what many thought was the real OSU. So as the season progresses when the Buckeyes play very different than that first game, and exponentially better in many areas it's hard for subjective opinions (especially voters that dropped them based upon that ONE game, the FIRST game) to reverse field on their views b/c of their own egos reputations etc. Meanwhile it happens all the time. For the past 4-5 years we end up seeing the real Oregon after 8-9 weeks, the real Lousivilles, the real VTechs, the real scums and so on. Same with us in 2011, and even 2007 one could argue.

But in certain circumstances and seasons the voter nation seems to get a death grip on certain teams in relation to "other" teams, when like you said, this might be the REAL Baylor. Even if this isn't, then they have to deal with it. Every game counts as we know.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:09 pm

Things have gotten a little funky with the Oregon loss, so I was just thinking through some what if scenarios....

What if Baylor loses tonight and...
What if Winston is charged and...
What if Alabama loses to Auburn in the Iron Bowl?

Then it is very likely we see OSU vs. Auburn in the NCG. Pretty weird. I don't think any of those things I listed are a big reach. I still think Baylor loses tonight, Winston will probably be charged, and 'Bama is beatable.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:18 pm

First off, huge TD for OKST to open up the 3Q.

Yeah, I've been thinking of some of those not so crazy things furls, akin to 2007, when it looked like WVU would most likely find a way into the NCG against whoever (I forget) then it ends up LSU v. Buckeyes.

RE: Baylor, I don't have an real time win probability calculator but it's pretty high for OKST is my guess. 68% would be my guess.
RE: Winston, IIRC victim made comments today saying hell yeah it was rape, so odds of him getting charged I would think are signficant.
RE: Iron Bowl, my gut says odds of Bama winning are significant (they've only looked meh for about 40 minutes in past month.

I'd bet Bama v. OSU if your first two scenarios played out.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:19 pm

Damn, OKST D is really executing well. Why not take the FG is your Baylor, keep things from getting way out of hand, help your D a little, is their kicker awful?

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:22 pm

FUDU wrote:First off, huge TD for OKST to open up the 3Q.

Yeah, I've been thinking of some of those not so crazy things furls, akin to 2007, when it looked like WVU would most likely find a way into the NCG against whoever (I forget) then it ends up LSU v. Buckeyes.

RE: Baylor, I don't have an real time win probability calculator but it's pretty high for OKST is my guess. 68% would be my guess.
RE: Winston, IIRC victim made comments today saying hell yeah it was rape, so odds of him getting charged I would think are signficant.
RE: Iron Bowl, my gut says odds of Bama winning are significant (they've only looked meh for about 40 minutes in past month.

I'd bet Bama v. OSU if your first two scenarios played out.

2007, it was Missouri WV was going to face before the world blew up in week 15.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:23 pm

I am glad persecuted Buckeye fan can now sleep easy there's no Baylor Boogeyman under the bed.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:26 pm

LOL

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:26 pm

furls wrote:Things have gotten a little funky with the Oregon loss, so I was just thinking through some what if scenarios....

Then it is very likely we see OSU vs. Auburn in the NCG. Pretty weird. I don't think any of those things I listed are a big reach. I still think Baylor loses tonight, Winston will probably be charged, and 'Bama is beatable.

Not sure FSU doesn't win out without Winston.

So your sugarplum holiday dreams should be tOSU vs FSU without Winston.

Bama has to die,
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:29 pm

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/winprobcalc1.php

If I did this right OKST is at 97% WP right now.

I know that is an NFL calc, but I don't see how it would differ for college.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:32 pm

Briles is watching millions of UT legacy money circling the drain.
jb

Unread postby jb » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:33 pm

FUDU wrote:http://wp.advancednflstats.com/winprobcalc1.php

If I did this right OKST is at 97% WP right now.

I know that is an NFL calc, but I don't see how it would differ for college.

If your turn your calculator upsides down the numbers spell. "Game over".
jb

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:38 pm

jb wrote:
furls wrote:Things have gotten a little funky with the Oregon loss, so I was just thinking through some what if scenarios....

Bama has to die,

Even in FSU wins they will fall in the polls. Several voters have already indicated that they will not support FSU without their Heisman candidate.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:40 pm

It's actually very interesting to play with those calcs to see just how influential specific circumstances play into the WP. How 1 pt and 3 minutes and 20 yards of FP can raise that % by a handful of pts.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:41 pm

The Baylor monster becomes the Auburn monster. I don't think there is enough time for the Auburn bandwagon to get big enough, so I don't think that monster is all that scary.

'Bama has looked beatable for the 1st half of the LSU game, the entire aTm game and for large portions of the MSU game. I will not fall out of my chair if Auburn beats them. Auburn is coming off a bye too.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:43 pm

furls wrote:
jb wrote:

Bama has to die,

Even in FSU wins they will fall in the polls. Several voters have already indicated that they will not support FSU without their Heisman candidate.

I only heard that about Heisman voting, not about FSU ranking. IMO if they win out without JW they should still be ranked at 2 minimum, I think it's disingenuous for us OSU fans to see it differently.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:43 pm

furls wrote:
jb wrote:

Bama has to die,

Twist.

In the completely subjective world of the pollsters does an unbeaten FSU get jumped by an unbeaten OSU with no Winston?

Holy Dennis Franklins shoulder Batman!
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Credit where it is due, excellent officiating on that alleged Baylor TD catch, excellent officiating.

:thumb up:

FUDU

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:58 pm

Oregon loses 42-16, now Baylor's losing 35-3. Think that the #3 slot should be pretty firm in both polls. And there doesn't seem to be the Auburn "narrative" by any of the national press (any team with a loss that needed a miracle to win vs Georgia shouldn't be in the conversation against a team that's undefeated).
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:00 am

Another overrated, media made team bites the dust.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:04 am

This game is now funny to me on so many levels.

The fact Baylor is getting absolutely served.

That persecuted paranoid Buckeye fan now can find another reason for angst right after finishing crowing.

Brett saying "an upset might be brewing" in a 4 TD game with a quarter to go.

That there will be a great Gundy moment on you tube next week.
jb

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:12 am

jb wrote:This game is now funny to me on so many levels.

That persecuted paranoid Buckeye fan now can find another reason for angst right after finishing crowing.

Our angst was justified
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:13 am

Is the game with the largest impact on this season being completely over looked and/or forgotten about? Wiscy ASU? Think about the season unfolding if the Badgers get that win? Relating to rankings and real time perception of conferences...

ETA: scratch that take, I thought Wiscy was ranked like 10 or 11 before that loss to ASU, never mind, I've been drinking.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:19 am

I know I'm a tad drunk, but did I just see a 25 yard snap on 3rd and goal, hic? That got, hic, returned for 144 yard TD.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:23 am

They would be up around 10 right now. I really wouldn't be all that excited about playing them right now. They are a good team that isn't getting the run it deserves.

Imagine the conference perceptions if MSU didn't spit the bit against a shitty ND team and PAC 12 officials were competent. No doubt in my mind that Sparty beats ND by 3TDs today.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:26 am

I wish there was some accountability for the media... like a show where guys like me, CDT and JB could sit at a roundtable with these assholes and ask them if Oregon is still "clearly" the #2 team in the country or if Baylor is still definitely the #3 Team. Next week they move on to a new team, until that team loses.

Fortunately I think that team is OSU now.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:29 am

Let's think this through.

This is all subjective bull shit. All of it.

When you combine the Scenarios of a Winston arrest for felony rape, the media backlash against Talahassee for not bringing the charges forward that will dwarf the Incognito story creating a public opinion tide, if next man up QB is just awe ite, and the Buckeyes winning out, how certain can we be this subjective BS doesn't land on FSU like an acme safe on wile e coyote?

I can see the BS process of the voters turning on FSU even if they end up unbeaten.

This is ALL about who these voter THINK is better. Not who is better. Combine the perception of a non Winston FSU team with politically correct backlash -- this IS supposed to be ostensibly about COLLEGE athletics in BS lip service -- I can see OSU leapfrogging FSU is the polls even if they win out.
jb

Unread postby jb » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:31 am

furls wrote:I wish there was some accountability for the media... like a show where guys like me, CDT and JB could sit at a roundtable with these assholes and ask them if Oregon is still "clearly" the #2 team in the country or if Baylor is still definitely the #3 Team. Next week they move on to a new team, until that team loses.

Fortunately I think that team is OSU now.

Furls, OSU could come out of this as the media darling.
jb

Unread postby jb » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:34 am

motherscratcher wrote:
jb wrote:This game is now funny to me on so many levels.

Our angst was justified

Nope. Just a bunch of weenies with a persecution complex gripping that pay little attention that every year it gets weird at this time and you let it play out.

BTW - Sparty ain't playing bad st all. Wanna get your angst on? Worry about Sparty going 1997 on us.
Last edited by jb on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:59 am

I have my doubts that a ton of voters drop FSU if Winston is arrested, or that FSU loses even without Winston. You prob need Auburn or Mizzou to take out Bama,and then hope the BS doesn't have those teams hop OSU. Beating MSU should secure it, but...
Hikohadon

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:54 am

Hikohadon wrote:I have my doubts that a ton of voters drop FSU if Winston is arrested, or that FSU loses even without Winston. You prob need Auburn or Mizzou to take out Bama,and then hope the BS doesn't have those teams hop OSU. Beating MSU should secure it, but...

I would be with you if Winston was not the leader in the clubhouse for the Heisman or if FSU had an established back up like Kenny G or an attention grabbing RB like Carlos Hyde. I think JB put it very well when he said we have a potential growing Dennis Franklin situation here. There have already been a few guys in the media that have acknowledged that they will have to rethink their FSU positioning if they are moving forward without Winston.

Like JB said, OSU could come out of this looking like the darlings despite a season long media ESPN campaign against them. You could even hear snippets of the narrative shifting toward OSU last night "OSU (one week after "surviving" against Illinois) is playing its best football of the year," for example. If they come out and curb stomp scUM this week and move the ball well against Sparty, put up 40+ I think we could see it happen. Particularly if Winston's replacement does not look great against Duke in the ACC CG.

Of course, I would prefer if FSU would just choke with Winston against Florida (not gonna happen) or against Duke, or a 'Bama loss in the next two weeks as getting in based on a situation like this is just shitty.

I think FSU's schedule will magically come under much more scrutiny if Winston is indicted and upon a closer look they will see that it is no better (probably worse) than OSU's.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:56 am

FWIW, Sparty is playing very well right now. Very well. I think Miller's legs are the key to that game. I don't think we are going to see an effective traditional running game and passing the ball is gonna be tough. They are going to need one of those 20 carry 160 yard games out of Braxton in that one.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:54 am

furls wrote:FWIW, Sparty is playing very well right now. Very well. I think Miller's legs are the key to that game. I don't think we are going to see an effective traditional running game and passing the ball is gonna be tough. They are going to need one of those 20 carry 160 yard games out of Braxton in that one.

Yep, MSU is gonna be a tough out. I think I'll not worry one iota about playing for a fictitious National title (damn you, BCS) until after the Big 10 Championship.
Hikohadon

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena