Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU vs. Purdon't

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

OSU vs. Purdon't

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:02 pm

OSU should roll against one of the worst rush defenses in the country....

Notice I said should.

I like the Bucks 52-7.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: OSU vs. Purdon't

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:16 pm

ewww....

This game is getting UGLY early. It could be 35-0 at the end of the first.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:56 pm

If it isn't 42-0 at half then WTF, there's 11:30 left in the half right now and it's 28-0.

Hopefully some wrinkles can be ironed today at least.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:24 pm

By 12 past 12 Purdue already threw about the sorriest pick 6 of the season, and followed it up with the worst pass coverage. I'd say they are setting the game back years, but I've watched too much Browns football the last dozen to claim that.

Only victory here is nobody getting hurt.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:31 pm

I'm just starting the 2nd half on DVR. Buckeyes have looked good so far. Hopefully they can hold off Purdue for 2 more quarters and sneak out of here with the win. Fingers crossed!
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:29 pm

How'd it turn out?

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:50 am

Early in the season/pre-season I said that Miller was going to improve significantly as a passer and that last year's 58% wasn't good enough.

Miller is up to 72.5% completion percentage this year. Meyer's offense uses a lot of horizontal passing, so his QBs should have a high %, but 72.5% is still pretty ridiculous. He only has one game below 68%, the NW game.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:15 pm

The amazing thing to look at statistically is the team totals for OSU QB's.

For starters, Miller and Guiton are #1 and #3 respectively in the B1G passing efficiency rankings (Tre Roberson of IU is 2nd, and he has only attempted 80 throws in part time action.) The running joke among the OSU beat writers lately is that if Braxton makes All-Big Ten QB, then Guiton should be 2nd Team. Not a joke, really.

Only IU's Nate Sudfeld (16) and Stave of Wisky (15) have as many TD passes as Braxton's 15...but Guiton has another 14 himself.

Together, they are 183 of 257 passing, a 71.2% completion percentage, for 2,065 yds, with 29 TD's and 5 INT. That's a 171.2 passing efficiency rating. (Indiana has 25 TD passes. No other B1G team has more than 17.)

The team offense is ridiculous: Buckeyes have scored 59 touchdowns. The next team in the rankings is Indiana with 45. Five teams have less than 30. Purdue has 11.

They are scoring 48.2 ppg. Six teams average less than 30. Only Indiana at 42.0 is within shouting distance. And Indiana is 3-5

OSU leads the conference in 1st downs by a wide margin, and in 3rd down conversion percentage, also by a lot.

Here are the updated B1G stats:

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-footbl/s ... fldrs.html
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:23 pm

The thing about stats this season is I don't think it is unreasonable to assume at least half of Guiton's would be Braxton's IF Braxton never got injured (maybe as much as 75% of his stats). Not trying to take anything away from Kenny mind you, he's done more than his share when called on. Figure Guiton would have been called on in some of the blowouts regardless. But if Braxton plays against FAM and Cal he probably adds a minimum of 6 passing TDs and a few rushing TDs to his numbers this season. Maybe more accurately displaying the progress he's made.

FUDU

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:25 pm

FUDU wrote:The thing about stats this season is I don't think it is unreasonable to assume at least half of Guiton's would be Braxton's IF Braxton never got injured (maybe as much as 75% of his stats). Not trying to take anything away from Kenny mind you, he's done more than his share when called on. Figure Guiton would have been called on in some of the blowouts regardless. But if Braxton plays against FAM and Cal he probably adds a minimum of 6 passing TDs and a few rushing TDs to his numbers this season. Maybe more accurately displaying the progress he's made.

Not to mention putting him right in the middle of the Heisman conversation.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:55 pm

I really hope Kenny G joins the coaching staff in some capacity next year.

Braxton was pretty much flawless yesterday (I don't really blame him for that pick.). The guy was throwing lasers all over the field hitting his guys right in the numbers. The competition wasn't great, but the defense is getting better and gaining confidence. Noah Spence is ridiculous and is playing as well as any DE in the country.

Has anyone heard anything about the injury to Decker? It didn't look good they way he was limping coming off the field.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:02 pm

Decker has a knee sprain (MCL) and should be OK. Two weeks before next game, and if they need to sit him at Illinois as well, they should be able to get by.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:58 pm

Honestly, I don't think there is a D in the country that can keep them below 40 if Miller is playing just average.

This offense has weapons at the outside receivers, TEs, RBs, QB (running and passing) behind an amazing OL. It is seriously the most lethal offense I have seen in NCAAF this year and possibly in the last decade. Most teams have a game changing player that they rely on (DAT or Mariota or someone similar) and if you can take that guy out of the game you hamstring the team. If you play 8 in the box to take away Hyde, Miller will shred you in the horizontal or vertical passing game. If you run a spy to limit Miller's running you will pay for that in coverage, probably with the TEs. If you play a 7 in the box to cover OSU's 3WRs, Hyde will blow up.

I think they score 40 against anyone they play, 'Bama and Sparty included. You guys notice that they seemed to have really cut down on the read option calls for Miller?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena