Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Boardwalk Empire

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:39 pm

1) There is no apparent point to the Gillian/Roy story line. He got her sober, so what? All her connections to the plot have been removed (Jimmy and her whorehouse).

2) It's been 3 episodes since Harrow has been shown.

3) The Chicago story line is where it's at. We're not that far from the "Handshake Murder", but they've yet to introduce Buggs Moran, even in a background role like they did with Bugsy Siegel and Hymie Weiss.

4) Narcisse is one of the most boring villains ever. I don't give a fuck about his stupid movement and preaching. Didn't even have the guts to face Chalky man to man. Had to send Buck.

5) I want to see more of the rift between Lansky and Lucky. Both of those characters are so expertly cast that I want more of them.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby justmebd » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:44 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:1) There is no apparent point to the Gillian/Roy story line. He got her sober, so what? All her connections to the plot have been removed (Jimmy and her whorehouse).

2) It's been 3 episodes since Harrow has been shown.

3) The Chicago story line is where it's at. We're not that far from the "Handshake Murder", but they've yet to introduce Buggs Moran, even in a background role like they did with Bugsy Siegel and Hymie Weiss.

4) Narcisse is one of the most boring villains ever. I don't give a fuck about his stupid movement and preaching. Didn't even have the guts to face Chalky man to man. Had to send Buck.

5) I want to see more of the rift between Lansky and Lucky. Both of those characters are so expertly cast that I want more of them.

1. Agreed. They waited too damn long to reveal what the hell this is all about. I'm just glad they haven't spent any more time on it than they already have. Why wasn't Gillian Killed last season?

2. Yes. This is a bad thing, and something that makes no sense after last season.

3. Chicago is heating up and the show has no choice but to get sucked into it. Capone kind of takes over everything by the end of the decade, so there it is. Whatchya gonna do?

4. I don't completely disagree with you, but Narcisse is supposed to be different than Rossetti. It's completely in his character to have other people do the dirty work for him. He's a little bitch.

5. I have faith the writers will tie everything up (Including the Lansky/Lucianno) thread into a neat bow) in the coming weeks.

The third season will be hard to top moving forward, and while I still like the current season, it's not as good.

MORE HARROW!!!
MORE VAN ALDEN!!!
MORE VAN ALDEN's CRAZY WIFE!!!
MORE CAPONE SNORTING COKE!!!!!
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Wow.

Vaaaaan Alden!

Chalky Unchained.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:16 pm

I knew it would only be a matter of time before Van Alden snapped again. We got the "handshake murder" sooner than I thought, although it is episode 9. I think we're also moving at a faster pace towards the downfall of Rothstein. Roy is obviously up to something, when Gillian caught him on the phone he changed his tone to whoever he was talking to.

Harrow and Julia got married, which might end the tug-of-war over Tommy. That makes Gillian disposable via Roy. Narcisse can be killed anytime now for all I care. Sounds like Mickey's days are numbered too.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:...Sounds like Mickey's days are numbered too....

Mickey still being alive is the shows best running gag. I'd be shocked if he didn't survive the entire series. In fact I can see the shows final scene being a 90 yr old Mickey on a type writer typing "The End" followed by his trademark Mick laugh, and then credits.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:16 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I knew it would only be a matter of time before Van Alden snapped again. We got the "handshake murder" sooner than I thought, although it is episode 9. I think we're also moving at a faster pace towards the downfall of Rothstein. Roy is obviously up to something, when Gillian caught him on the phone he changed his tone to whoever he was talking to.

Harrow and Julia got married, which might end the tug-of-war over Tommy. That makes Gillian disposable via Roy. Narcisse can be killed anytime now for all I care. Sounds like Mickey's days are numbered too.

isn't Narcisse trying to sidle up to ..... what is that ganster's name?

And isn't it about time for him to be offer in real history by Luciano or lansky?
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Masseria wasn't killed until 1931 by Bugsy Siegel, Joe Adonis, and I think Albert Anatasia.

But the show has messed with the actual historical timeline, so it's certainly possible he gets whacked much sooner than that. But they have to kill off Rothstein and Frankie Yale first if they want to follow that actual events.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:53 pm

Great Van Alden episode. That dude is off his fucking rocker. Michael Shannon is fantastic.

So, who was it that offed O'Banion? I couldn't quite figure that out. That wasn't part of Capone's crew, was it? That wouldn't make sense. So, does Van Alden take credit for the hit when he sees Capone?
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:03 pm

The guy shaking his hand was Frankie Yale. The other two shooters were, in real life "outside help" provided by Capone allies the Genna brothers. I believe they were know as the "Murder Twins".

None were officially part of Capone's crew at the time.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby justmebd » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:16 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Masseria wasn't killed until 1931 by Bugsy Siegel, Joe Adonis, and I think Albert Anatasia.

But the show has messed with the actual historical timeline, so it's certainly possible he gets whacked much sooner than that. But they have to kill off Rothstein and Frankie Yale first if they want to follow that actual events.

I'm not sure the show has messed with real people getting whacked, though (I could be wrong). Rothstein doesn't go down 1928, and we're still in 1924.

Frank Capone got whacked on cue, although I'm sure the specifics were a little dramatized.
justmebd

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:18 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:The guy shaking his hand was Frankie Yale. The other two shooters were, in real life "outside help" provided by Capone allies the Genna brothers. I believe they were know as the "Murder Twins".

None were officially part of Capone's crew at the time.

Was I supposed know that just from watching the show? Have we seen those guys on screen before?

Did Capone send them then?
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:14 am

motherscratcher wrote:
Was I supposed know that just from watching the show? Have we seen those guys on screen before?

No, they've never actually mentioned them or Genna brothers by name that I know of in the show. They may not even bring them in by name with the exception of Yale. Just play them off as a couple of Capone's hitters.

Yes, they were sent by Capone. Hymie Weiss is now the de facto leader of the North side.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:55 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

No, they've never actually mentioned them or Genna brothers by name that I know of in the show. They may not even bring them in by name with the exception of Yale. Just play them off as a couple of Capone's hitters.

Yes, they were sent by Capone. Hymie Weiss is now the de facto leader of the North side.

Finally did the research, and While O'Banion was killed in 1924, the show fudged it by a few months as he was killed on Nov. 10. It's clearly summer on the show right now.
justmebd

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:34 pm

OK, so how does a set-up episode happen with 2 shows left?

Does Chalkie die in a shoot out down south?

When does the light bulb go off for Alphonze? "Good thing Johnny left." LOL.
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Yeah the last 2 episodes need to contain a fucking lot to wrap up this season. I just can't see Nucky giving up Chalky, too much history between them and Nucky detests Masseria and Narcisse. The attempt on Capone by Weiss was much different than the real event which was a convoy of cars firing Thompson SMGs into the Hawthorne hotel.

The scene with Narcisse and Chalky's daughter was very intense and I did not expect her to leave on her own. I think Willie might find out about Eli's collaboration with Knox and have to make a drastic move.

Torrio retired after a failed attempt on his life by Vincent Drucci and Bugs Moran when the latter's gun jammed before he could finish him off.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:31 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Yeah the last 2 episodes need to contain a fucking lot to wrap up this season. I just can't see Nucky giving up Chalky, too much history between them and Nucky detests Masseria and Narcisse. The attempt on Capone by Weiss was much different than the real event which was a convoy of cars firing Thompson SMGs into the Hawthorne hotel.

The scene with Narcisse and Chalky's daughter was very intense and I did not expect her to leave on her own. I think Willie might find out about Eli's collaboration with Knox and have to make a drastic move.

Torrio retired after a failed attempt on his life by Vincent Drucci and Bugs Moran when the latter's gun jammed before he could finish him off.

I repeat, I'm enjoying this season, but Season 3 still is the high water mark.

I still think Harrow will play big into the finale, and I'm wondering if this is a two-season story arc they're working with the Gillian/Livingston storyline and the Florida thing.

Narcisse dies because he just has to. You don't kill Gyp Rosetti after one season and let Narcisse hang around. It's just not right.

And if HBO spins off the Chalky/Harrow buddy gangster show, I will watch every episode until I die.
justmebd

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:34 pm

My guess for this season for the non historical parts: Eli lives, Eli's son dies, Narcies dies , chalky lives , chalks jazz singing harlot ( who I believe is loosely based off of Billy Holiday ) does not die but becomes a drug addict (like holiday). Harrow lives , but his father in law , wife , and adopted son die. Ohh and the mayor is a dead man walking to
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:04 pm

Eli lives Eli's son dies

I agree. I think it's bound to be one or the other.

Narcies dies

Yes. As BD said, you can't carry him over to the next season.

chalky lives , chalks jazz singing harlot ( who I believe is loosely based off of Billy Holiday ) does not die but becomes a drug addict (like holiday)

Agree on Chalky. I can see Nucky setting up the awful Doctor the same way he did with Jimmy. IMO, it's too late in the season to have Daughter become an addict.

Harrow lives , but his father in law , wife , and adopted son die.

Agree on Harrow, but the rest makes no sense because who is going to take them out and for what reason? His father in law is already dying.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:33 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Agree on Harrow, but the rest makes no sense because who is going to take them out and for what reason? His father in law is already dying.

Yea I admit I'm reaching on this one... I'm just trying to figure out where the Ron Livingston/Gretchen Mol story line is going. It's got to intersect with Harrows story some how... And you know that kid will be the focal point.

With the exception of the Gretchen Mol story line , I been happy with this season, I don't hate her Charicter like most people , I just get the sense the writers intended her to die last season, where forced to keep her around, and now have no fucking clue what to do with her.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby justmebd » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:15 am

Govbarney wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Yea I admit I'm reaching on this one... I'm just trying to figure out where the Ron Livingston/Gretchen Mol story line is going. It's got to intersect with Harrows story some how... And you know that kid will be the focal point.

With the exception of the Gretchen Mol story line , I been happy with this season, I don't hate her Charicter like most people , I just get the sense the writers intended her to die last season, where forced to keep her around, and now have no fucking clue what to do with her.

I don't think they were forced to keep her around, I think that was the plan. It obviously wasn't a very good one because her character became useless after Jimmy died.

I'm sure they have their reasons, but it was a mistake. They don't have to kill her, they just need to make her go away.

On a different note, the "Empire" in the title is very much at the forefront of the season as every episode has multiple locations. The first season stayed mainly in Atlantic City with a few forays to Chicago. Phili and New York became more prominent in Season Two while D.C. became a frequent hangout in Season Three.

This year we added Florida, and the show constantly bounces around the various locales.

I just thought that was interesting.
justmebd

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:54 am

I hope Gillian goes to Tampa & is eaten by gators in the first 15 seconds of next episode.

Livingston obviously has a tie to the random kid she killed to perpetrate Jimmy's death coverup. I just don't see the angle yet. Otherwise he serves zero purpose.

Does Harrow reprise angel of death to save Chalkie?
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:02 pm

I think we're seeing a tamer Harrow now that's he's found love and is married. He took a job as a dishwasher after approaching Nucky, we all know Nucky would have loved to have him as a gun in crew. But he obviously opted for legal work.

But yeah, circumstances and his loyalty make force his hand.

Season three ending I would liked to have seen:

A ODing Gillian collapsing in the hall, confronted by a mortally wounded Harrow with Tommy, who Gillian reaches towards and is told she is no mother by Harrow before he shoots her. Then Harrow barely getting Tommy to Julia's before dying in her arms.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:42 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I think we're seeing a tamer Harrow now that's he's found love and is married.

It's just a hunting license.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:36 am

Here's an interview with Terence Winter about Season 4:
http://www.avclub.com/article/boardwalk ... bou-105951

I'm still not satisfied with Richard's ending. I think they failed at what he says they were trying to accomplish. It felt hollow and forced, there was nothing organic about it.

Other than that, I liked everything else. They certainly avoided my expectations with Narcisse.

Season Three remains the high water mark. Bring on Season Five!! I can't wait for the Eli/Van Alden buddy cop routine.
justmebd

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:17 pm

Ehhhh........That was ok season. They could have wrapped up 3 in a similar way and we could have done without Harrow/Gillian this whole season. The show would have been better IMO, more room for New York, Chicago, Florida, and DC. Instead of this kinda meandering plot with loose ends taking an entire season to wrap up and the main story gets lost.

I still don't think we're rid of Gillian, no, the writers will probably assume we give a shit about her prison life and that'll come in about episode 3 next year.

And what a waste of Ron Livingston.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:43 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Ehhhh........That was ok season. They could have wrapped up 3 in a similar way and we could have done without Harrow/Gillian this whole season. The show would have been better IMO, more room for New York, Chicago, Florida, and DC. Instead of this kinda meandering plot with loose ends taking an entire season to wrap up and the main story gets lost.

I still don't think we're rid of Gillian, no, the writers will probably assume we give a shit about her prison life and that'll come in about episode 3 next year.

Agreed, especially on the Livingston point.
justmebd

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:47 am

justmebd wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Ehhhh........That was ok season. They could have wrapped up 3 in a similar way and we could have done without Harrow/Gillian this whole season. The show would have been better IMO, more room for New York, Chicago, Florida, and DC. Instead of this kinda meandering plot with loose ends taking an entire season to wrap up and the main story gets lost.

Agreed, especially on the Livingston point.

I think with Gillian we got a taste of her future when she resonated with the female onlookers at her trial. I expect a sort of "Native Son" story except it will be about the woman's movement.

Harrow's death was really a bummer. That actor Jack Huston has great things in his future. He really got to a lot of people, myself included, with his performance. But he made his Faustian bargain and there was no other way to end it.

As much as I hate Narciss, Jeremy Wright steals every scene...even from Nucky. Glad to see he'll be around next season and involved in the Marcus Garvey shakedown.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Previous

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture